HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Flyers fined for honouring Ron Hextall...

Old
02-16-2008, 01:12 PM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
Nowadays, most do.

There is rarely such a thing as a genuine encore anymore.

The encores are planned, and really part of the setlist. Sad but true.
Damn, you mean Dylan plans to play All Along The Watchtower every show at precisely the 3rd song after the chanting crowd calls him back ? Springsteen knows ahead of time that he's coming back and going to play Born to Run then fade away with American Land ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Damn, you mean Dylan plans to play All Along The Watchtower every show at precisely the 3rd song after the chanting crowd calls him back ? Springsteen knows ahead of time that he's coming back and going to play Born to Run then fade away with American Land ?

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 01:23 PM
bib
#believe

The title of this thread is misleading. They weren't fined for honouring him, they were fined for starting the game late.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 01:25 PM
dutchy29

The league could have issued a warning and asked for future presentations during intermisssions to be announced before occuring.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Montrealer

No one noticed the size of the fine? $25,000 is the equivalent of a $1 speeding ticket. It's simply letting the teams know it's not kosher, but it definitely wasn't any sort of overreaction.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I knew I would crush someone with this revelation.

You gonna be ok?

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
I knew I would crush someone with this revelation.

You gonna be ok?
I was at a concert once at a nightclub in victoria and I was sitting right behind the sound guy and he had a copy of the set list and there were 3 songs listed at the bottom with a noticable break from the rest of the list. I was able to win some money from my friend by predicting the order some songs were coming

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 02:13 PM
znk

I have no idea what people are complaining about....The league had to fine them. You dont want teams to start doing things without getting approval or warning the other team first.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 03:08 PM
wedge

Quote:
Even if he had been the clear cut bestest player ever, he has played for Edmonton, LA, St-Louis and N-Y. It's up to those franchises to decide what to do with him. This is the point of my post. His significance to respective fanbase varies, even if his talent is recognized.

Imagine if the best player in the world had been some Maple Leafs or Nordiques dude and had *****slapped the Montreal Canadiens throughout the years during a heated rivalry. And then they imposed his number retirement on the franchise. It makes no sense.

That's probably how it feels to Calgary fans.

There are ways to honor Wayne Gretzky if a city wants to, without resorting to bush-league tactics like that.

Also. It's very much arguable whether he was the best player ever, or even the best forward ever. People can make very good case for Mario Lemieux and Bobby Orr to name two. And Gretzky himself used to make a good case for Gordie Howe. Where does it end? Must we retire other jerseys league-wide?

I maintain my position: This league needs to realize that global marketing and cheap publicity stunts don't do much for this league, and instead find the special significance each individual team can have relative to their respective market.
I have nothing against that. They do it in baseball too. I know Jackie Robinson's number is retired league-wide and a few others too. I don't see the problem in honoring the league's best player and BEST KNOW TOO! He's brung a lot to the league and I think he deserved it.

as for Hextall. 32 minutes break between two periods is a mood-killer and shouldn't be acceptable

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 04:39 PM
HabsoluteFate

they deserved the fine...if i'm on the other team i'd be ticked because of the delays to the 2nd period...especially that they were not notified ahead of time

if i was a fan of the other team i shouldnt have to have to watch the ceremony...it should be the choice of the watcher...nothing wrong with doing ceremonies...but they should be before or after games. If you have them in intermissions then make sure its done in time for the 2nd period and the ice is ready to go.

I'm all for honoring past members but again the day the leafs retire Sundin's number i dont want to have to watch it....its that simple

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote