HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Fluery going back to QMJHL

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2004, 08:56 PM
  #1
Heater15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
Fluery going back to QMJHL

www.tsn.ca

this is the best thing the pens have done since drafting him...

Heater15 is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 08:58 PM
  #2
DJ Spinoza
Registered User
 
DJ Spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 12,886
vCash: 500
I'll give them credit for at least pulling the trigger on this sooner rather than later. It's time, they need to get him away from this defense.

You may not believe it from the box scores, but he has been playing well and still has 4/5/6 goals scored on him because of the defense.

Man, the rest of this year might really be rough.

DJ Spinoza is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 09:00 PM
  #3
Reign Nateo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,995
vCash: 500
Finally, he never should have played past the pre-season in the NHL.

Reign Nateo is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 09:00 PM
  #4
Oiler94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oiltown
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Oiler94
Why wasnt he sent down to Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Penguins, their AHL affiliate?

Oiler94 is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 09:01 PM
  #5
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 55,891
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler94
Why wasnt he sent down to Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Penguins, their AHL affiliate?


He can't.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 09:03 PM
  #6
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
Finally, he never should have played past the pre-season in the NHL.
Why?

Jacob is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 09:09 PM
  #7
Puckz
Registered User
 
Puckz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Why?
He's too young.

Puckz is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 09:10 PM
  #8
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,408
vCash: 500
Too young for what?

Jacob is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 09:12 PM
  #9
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 32,541
vCash: 500
Well, it's good that they didn't keep him around long enough for him to rot on the bench.

Stephen is online now  
Old
01-29-2004, 09:41 PM
  #10
Flames Draft Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
Finally, he never should have played past the pre-season in the NHL.
Disagree. He signed because he was going to play in the NHL. Great ploy by the Penguins as he was to become an UFA two summers hence. But I don't think he should have played more than the 10 game mark.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 09:48 PM
  #11
SensGod
Registered User
 
SensGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Scotia Bank Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Smartest move the Penguin's since Mario decided to retire.

The Pens are going to kill the best goalie talent to hit this league in a loooong time.

It's really sad actually...

SensGod is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 10:19 PM
  #12
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler94
Why wasnt he sent down to Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Penguins, their AHL affiliate?
Players who are eligeble to play in Juniors are not allowed to play in the AHL.

So it's NHL or Juniors.

I think it was a plan to keep him in the NHL for a month after WJC fiasko (so people in Canada won't make his life miserable) and then to send him down .

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 10:26 PM
  #13
soya_sauce_chicken
Registered User
 
soya_sauce_chicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 6,270
vCash: 500
agreed.. they should have done this a long time ago.. i wonder if it hurt him emotionally allowing all those goals when he used to be a monster...

soya_sauce_chicken is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 10:29 PM
  #14
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by soya_sauce_chicken
agreed.. they should have done this a long time ago.. i wonder if it hurt him emotionally allowing all those goals when he used to be a monster...
I think he will rebound...

I remember DiPietro and Raycroft also were killed in the NHL when they were younger. It's good thing that he has experience playing in the NHL and knows what he has to work on.

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 10:32 PM
  #15
soya_sauce_chicken
Registered User
 
soya_sauce_chicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 6,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
I think he will rebound...

I remember DiPietro and Raycroft also were killed in the NHL when they were younger. It's good thing that he has experience playing in the NHL and knows what he has to work on.
yea, i hope he becomes a great superstar. he has the talent...

soya_sauce_chicken is offline  
Old
01-29-2004, 10:34 PM
  #16
DJ Spinoza
Registered User
 
DJ Spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 12,886
vCash: 500
When do the playoffs start in the Q?

DJ Spinoza is offline  
Old
01-30-2004, 12:23 AM
  #17
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 55,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
Finally, he never should have played past the pre-season in the NHL.
Yeah, he really played like **** in the pre-season

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
01-30-2004, 01:02 AM
  #18
evman150*
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
Wow. Cape Breton is CRAZY stacked now. If they weren't the favorite for the Mem Cup before today, they sure as hell are now.


evman150* is offline  
Old
01-30-2004, 01:25 AM
  #19
stardog
Registered User
 
stardog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
Smartest move the Penguin's since Mario decided to retire.

The Pens are going to kill the best goalie talent to hit this league in a loooong time.

It's really sad actually...
Nostradomas?? Is that you??

stardog is offline  
Old
01-30-2004, 01:54 AM
  #20
MePutPuckInNet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,385
vCash: 500
Maf

I think the Pengs screwed up with MAF big time. He definately shouldn't have been playing past game 10 - it seemed rather obvious to all but Mario - who was trying to save face by keeping him up, despite the facts. It's my personal opinion that they waited too damn long. I think MAF is going to have a tough time in the Q as well. I would not be surprised if he struggles even more there. Hope Cape B doesn't go trading Houle just yet....

MePutPuckInNet is offline  
Old
01-30-2004, 02:10 AM
  #21
stardog
Registered User
 
stardog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet
I think the Pengs screwed up with MAF big time. He definately shouldn't have been playing past game 10 - it seemed rather obvious to all but Mario - who was trying to save face by keeping him up, despite the facts. It's my personal opinion that they waited too damn long. I think MAF is going to have a tough time in the Q as well. I would not be surprised if he struggles even more there. Hope Cape B doesn't go trading Houle just yet....
Mario?
Facts?
Howz about these facts. Fluery was arguably the best goalie in the NHL in his first month and a half. Now how is it, (cough), "OBVIOUS" to everyone that he shouldn't have lasted past ten games at that point?
Fact two: Craig Patrick has the final say whether or not Fluery goes down and all hockey related decisions for that matter. So to say that he stayed cuz of Mario, is grossly untrue. He stayed because he deserved to stay, and Edzo, Mario, and CP all wanted him to stay because he earned it.
Your facts aren't quite facts.

stardog is offline  
Old
01-30-2004, 02:23 AM
  #22
Schenn02
Registered User
 
Schenn02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: abroad
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,732
vCash: 500
Well I think that the Pens made a good move in sending MA Fluery to the minor league. It hurts seeing him let in 5 or 6 goals a night, the kid needs some work down there and in another 1 or 2 years time, he'll be a great goalie.

Schenn02 is offline  
Old
01-30-2004, 02:58 AM
  #23
MePutPuckInNet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog
Mario?
Facts?
Howz about these facts. Fluery was arguably the best goalie in the NHL in his first month and a half. Now how is it, (cough), "OBVIOUS" to everyone that he shouldn't have lasted past ten games at that point?
Fact two: Craig Patrick has the final say whether or not Fluery goes down and all hockey related decisions for that matter. So to say that he stayed cuz of Mario, is grossly untrue. He stayed because he deserved to stay, and Edzo, Mario, and CP all wanted him to stay because he earned it.
Your facts aren't quite facts.
If you don't think Mario has a tremendous influence over the entire Penguins organization, then you're living in a dream world.....And yes, apparenty it wasn't "obvious" to YOU, but perhaps you weren't paying attention....Although his stats show otherwise, Fleury started struggling after game 5....he just wasn't the same and continued to nosedive....maybe you just equate a win with a good performance, but not all of us do.

MePutPuckInNet is offline  
Old
01-30-2004, 03:53 AM
  #24
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 55,645
vCash: 500
Yeah, it was obvious to you who might have seen one of his games and not us who have seen all of his games...

Fleury has only looked out of place in about 5 games, the rest he has been godly in, regardless of what the stat sheet says.

He's been simply amazing since returning to the line-up since the WJCs and has a GAA of 5.00 in that time.

His teammates earned him this demotion.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
01-30-2004, 03:59 AM
  #25
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet
If you don't think Mario has a tremendous influence over the entire Penguins organization, then you're living in a dream world.....And yes, apparenty it wasn't "obvious" to YOU, but perhaps you weren't paying attention....
So what exactly does Mario have to gain from keeping Fleury in the NHL? You say to "save face", but I don't see how he does.

Attendance is bad with or without Fleury, because Fleury isn't the difference between winning or losing.

Quote:
Fleury started struggling after game 5....he just wasn't the same and continued to nosedive....
After about 8 games Fleury was very inconsistent. But there have been good games peppered throughout the schedule since October, including his last two games. I don't know what the heck you mean about the wins, because I don't think Fleury has won an NHL game since early December, if not November.

I think it's eerie how similar Fleury's career thus far is comparable to guys like Dipietro and Luongo. This guys came into bad teams at young ages, struggled at times, and got shelled. Both of those guys appear to have turned out okay and I'm willing to bet that Fleury, in the long run, will only benefit from his 20 game stint this season. Especially considering most fans and the management pencilled him onto Cape Breton since September. He's been a surprise since day one, and I think his stellar performance early on may have put unreal expectations on him.


Last edited by Jacob: 01-30-2004 at 04:07 AM.
Jacob is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.