HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hainsey- should we or should we not sign him?

Old
02-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Ludicrous Speed

vCash: 500
Hainsey- should we or should we not sign him?

What do you guys think? I dont know what he would want but I think he's worth about 1-1.4 M ?

He's third in points for us and 24th among D-men

57-7-21-28-2-13 Avg TOI: 21:50

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 12:10 PM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
He's already making $900K, he's going to get a lot more than $1 mill.

He's probably going to ask for the $2.5 mill - $3 mill range. I would happily give it to him, as we'd be paying the same, or more, to find someone like him on the open market.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
He's already making $900K, he's going to get a lot more than $1 mill.

He's probably going to ask for the $2.5 mill - $3 mill range. I would happily give it to him, as we'd be paying the same, or more, to find someone like him on the open market.
oh jeez..in that case maybe not

Old
02-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Byrral

Hainsey is better than some here give him credit for. I don't know if he's worth 2.5-3 million but he has greater value than the original poster's proposal and is worth keeping around.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 12:20 PM
CBJ 97 61 16

This is a pretty tough question. As of right now, we have 8 defenseman fighting for 6 spots. 4 are signed or RFA next year (Klesla, Tollefsen, Russell, Methot) and 4 are UFA (Foote, Hejda, Hainsey, Tarnstrom). The question to ask is what do you want our D to look like next year. I think you have to bring back 3 of the 4 UFAs. Foote and Hejda have played very well, I'd bring both back. That would give us 6 signed defenseman. That leaves Hainsey and Tarnstrom. Which would I rather have? Tarnstrom. Even building on that, if I could get something useful for him, I'd trade Hainsey at the deadline. It's not a bash on Hainsey, I jus think we could get more out of Tarnstrom in the end.

Foote-Hejda
Klesla-Russell
Tarnstrom-Methot/Tollefsen

CBJ 97 61 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Let him walk at 1st, then try to sign Brian Campbell or Dan Boyle. If we can't get those 2 just sign Hainsey as a last resort if he's availabe.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
blahblah

He scores points, someone's probably going to offer him some jack.

I think he defense has improved. I still think he has a long way to go on his puck handling and transistion.

Personally I would rather see what else is in the FA market then offer Hainsey a multiyear deal, which is probably what he is going to want. Tarnstrom looks like he might be able to be a stop-gap until we get someone else in here, as Russell continue to develop.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ_97_61_55 View Post
This is a pretty tough question. As of right now, we have 8 defenseman fighting for 6 spots. 4 are signed or RFA next year (Klesla, Tollefsen, Russell, Methot) and 4 are UFA (Foote, Hejda, Hainsey, Tarnstrom). The question to ask is what do you want our D to look like next year. I think you have to bring back 3 of the 4 UFAs. Foote and Hejda have played very well, I'd bring both back. That would give us 6 signed defenseman. That leaves Hainsey and Tarnstrom. Which would I rather have? Tarnstrom. Even building on that, if I could get something useful for him, I'd trade Hainsey at the deadline. It's not a bash on Hainsey, I jus think we could get more out of Tarnstrom in the end.

Foote-Hejda
Klesla-Russell

Hainsey is much younger than Tarnstrom and is coming into his prime. I like Dicky T, but Hainsey is the better bet long-term.

Old
02-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:

Foote-Hejda
Klesla-Russell
so far, I've really been impressed with Tarnstrom, but he's only played 3 games. I'd wait a while to decide on that. Remember that guy Beech's first 10 games?

Last edited by Ludicrous Speed: 02-16-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old
02-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Casework

I'd really like to keep this guy. Unless he has some unrealistic demands, get him locked up for a couple years.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 12:33 PM
CBJ 97 61 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Hainsey is much younger than Tarnstrom and is coming into his prime. I like Dicky T, but Hainsey is the better bet long-term.
That's true. I just hate letting a player go that has played this well in the 3 games we've seen him for nothing. Hainsey has improved greatly and we are going to need either him or Tarnstrom. I'd be fine with either.

EDIT: All of this is assuming that Tarnstrom keeps up this play. If he falls off like Beech, then I would much rather have Hainsey. At least Hainsey has been fairly consistent.

Last edited by CBJ 97 61 16: 02-16-2008 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Too much Tarnstrom love too soon?
CBJ 97 61 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
All of this is assuming that Tarnstrom keeps up this play. If he falls off like Beech, then I would much rather have Hainsey. At least Hainsey has been fairly consistent.
yeah thats how I feel. I was just putting it in perspective before

Old
02-16-2008, 12:48 PM
Stretch Factor

Tell Hainsey, Chimera's got his money.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 12:54 PM
CBJwheel

I'd say that if he isn't traded (I sure hope not), sign him. He has been great this year compared to last.

CBJwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 01:05 PM
noodleboy*

I think it would be a mistake for the Jackets not to bring Hainsey back. He's been a large part of the relative success that the team has had this year.

Same with Jan Hejda. I like that guy too.

noodleboy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 01:45 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
He scores points, someone's probably going to offer him some jack.

I think he defense has improved. I still think he has a long way to go on his puck handling and transistion.

Personally I would rather see what else is in the FA market then offer Hainsey a multiyear deal, which is probably what he is going to want. Tarnstrom looks like he might be able to be a stop-gap until we get someone else in here, as Russell continue to develop.
Exactly how I see it as well. I just don't see Hainsey in the long term plans.

I think an above average puck mover like Tarnstrom has really shown just how inept our puckmovers really are on the backend and if we can land an elite puckmover it will do wonders for this offense.

I think Howson makes a huge offer for a guy like Boyle/Campbell/Redden in the offseason and freeing up the money a guy like Hainsey wants is a big part of that.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 02:13 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Exactly how I see it as well. I just don't see Hainsey in the long term plans.

I think an above average puck mover like Tarnstrom has really shown just how inept our puckmovers really are on the backend and if we can land an elite puckmover it will do wonders for this offense.

I think Howson makes a huge offer for a guy like Boyle/Campbell/Redden in the offseason and freeing up the money a guy like Hainsey wants is a big part of that.
Agreed. Tarnstrom has really shown us the flaws we have back there and he's certainly not elite. I really hope that's where Howson wants to spend the money.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Duuuuuuuuuuvie

Send a message via AIM to Duuuuuuuuuuvie
Tarnstrom has 1g and 3 a in 3 games with us. He had 1-4-5 in 29 before being traded.

Hainsey has 2g and 1 a in our last 3 games. Not to mention he has 28 points this year.

Hainsey- 26 years old. Tarnstrom- 33 years old.

Hainsey had 34 points last year and was a -19! This year, he is on pace for 39 and a +3. Hitchcock has said he is the most improved player. I think he can be counted on for another 10g 40point season next year ESPECIALLY if we add a defenseman.

Granted, Tarnstrom has come here and played well, but it has been 3 games so give it time.

I just see Tarnstrom as being a prime case of showing flashes of skill in a contract year as an aging player, a team signs him to a multi year multi million dollar contract (because they miss out on other options) and is forced to waive him in the future.

Hainsey 4 yrs/13 mil.

Duuuuuuuuuuvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 03:56 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

I'll say Resign Ron, 3 years max.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 04:01 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

I agree with most here... sign him for some reasonable money and terms.

But here's a question: why would Ron want to stay?
He will likely be able to do well in the FA market.
That's the big question to me: what does Hollywood want?

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

I personally think that he wants to stay here.

He's found a home on this team and is an important part of the future of the CBJ.

I think he wants to be resigned and I think we will do that.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Straight Jacket

Despite some bonehead moments, he has gotten better every year. More than I can say for some. Give him some sign language.

Straight Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 07:07 PM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

I know everyone has a bit of a crush on Campbell/Redden, and wants to throw 7-8 million dollars at them, but I can't justify throwing that type of cash at someone when I think Hainsey is capable of putting up the same kind of stats.

Stats, this season:

Hainsey: 57 GP, 7 G, 21 A, 28 PTS, +2, 13 PIM (26 years old)

Campbell: 58 GP, 4 G, 37 A, 41 PTS, -1, 10 PIM (28 years old)

Redden: 58 GP, 6 G, 26 A, 32 PTS, +15, 52 PIM (30 years old)

I just don't see the type of numbers that would justify paying Campbell/Redden more than double what Hainsey is going to ask for. We could very well have a Campbell/Redden in Hainsey. I'd like to lock him up.

Old
02-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
Hainsey is gunna coast us 4 million / year if we wanna keep him.

Goaliemon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 07:39 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:

Foote-Hejda
Klesla-Russell
id sign him if its not crazy money. and of course, id move foote yesterday.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote