HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why I Would Trade Huet Before the Deadline??

Old
02-18-2008, 08:42 PM
Plekanetzz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
Why I would not trade Huet before the deadline:

- Because he's our #1 goalie and you can't go with a rookie in the playoffs
We can go with Price in the playoff.. But we need Huet in case it turns bad for Price

Plekanetzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 07:35 AM
AhSurre

For sure the Habs should trade Huet before the deadline and make their team stronger outside of the crease, and here is my logic

1.) Huet has only played 6 NHL playoff games more than Carey Price, so it's not like the Habs would be giving up some playoff super star

2.) Huet is obviously not in the long term plans due to the skill level and age of Carey Price and to a lesser extent Jaroslav Halak

3.) Carey Price in the last 14 months has won the World Junior Hockey Championships and I believe won or was a finalist in The Calder Cup with The Hamilton Bulldogs, so he is clearly a goalie that can win big games and perform under pressure

4.) Habs fans of all people shouldn't be worried about the fact that he's a rookie goalie in the playoffs.... Remember what Patirck Roy did in 86 as a rookie

AhSurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 07:40 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Fedorov?
If the price isn't too high, he'd be interesting. I see him as an option on the wing with Koivu in some situations and as a defensive C, depending on how icetime works out. I don't where he is in terms of his competitive juices still flowing, but he makes sense in terms of what I believe Carbo wants. Security.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 07:40 AM
peterpatter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhSurre View Post
For sure the Habs should trade Huet before the deadline and make their team stronger outside of the crease, and here is my logic

1.) Huet has only played 6 NHL playoff games more than Carey Price, so it's not like the Habs would be giving up some playoff super star

2.) Huet is obviously not in the long term plans due to the skill level and age of Carey Price and to a lesser extent Jaroslav Halak

3.) Carey Price in the last 14 months has won the World Junior Hockey Championships and I believe won or was a finalist in The Calder Cup with The Hamilton Bulldogs, so he is clearly a goalie that can win big games and perform under pressure

4.) Habs fans of all people shouldn't be worried about the fact that he's a rookie goalie in the playoffs.... Remember what Patirck Roy did in 86 as a rookie
And Ken Dryden in 70/71

peterpatter* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 08:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhSurre View Post

1-Huet is 32, Price is 20...it's not just about experience, it's also about maturity.

2-Just because Huet is not the long term plan doesn't mean you trade him away and throw the kid to the lions. You need to look no further than pittsburgh to see what can happen to young goalies.

3-I know he is great in big games, that's a great quality to have...but Gainey as a GM can't put all his chips in that pot yet...this is the NHL not junior or AHL, higher level, more pressure and better players.

4-because Roy did it doesn't guarantee anything for any other rookie.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Boumboum

Quote:

/thread
Can t go with a rookie in the playoffs ???
what about Cam Ward, 2 years ago
This is the year for young players t get playoff experience,

Boumboum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boumboum View Post
Can t go with a rookie in the playoffs ???
what about Cam Ward, 2 years ago
This is the year for young players t get playoff experience,
They actually went with Gerber...then put in Ward when Gerber flopped. There was no pressure on WArd.

If you trade Huet suddenly you put a ton of needless pressure on Price. It's much easier on the kid to keep both and play them, if you really want to start Price in the playoffs, wait until the last minute to announce it.

Old
02-19-2008, 09:24 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
They actually went with Gerber...then put in Ward when Gerber flopped. There was no pressure on WArd.

If you trade Huet suddenly you put a ton of needless pressure on Price. It's much easier on the kid to keep both and play them, if you really want to start Price in the playoffs, wait until the last minute to announce it.
Yeha becuase Price always crumbles under the pressure.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
1-Huet is 32, Price is 20...it's not just about experience, it's also about maturity.

2-Just because Huet is not the long term plan doesn't mean you trade him away and throw the kid to the lions. You need to look no further than pittsburgh to see what can happen to young goalies.

3-I know he is great in big games, that's a great quality to have...but Gainey as a GM can't put all his chips in that pot yet...this is the NHL not junior or AHL, higher level, more pressure and better players.

Don't compare Price to that scrub... Fleury has always been an inconsistent goalie, who has always folded under pressure.

2 complete opposites.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Yeha becuase Huet always crumbles under the pressure.
Fixed

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 09:45 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:

Huet might be a good insurance policy, but he will be also a UFA the 1st of July. You trade him for something valuable or you loose him for nothing. What do you prefer ?

Halak is ready too.

Price has proved last year that he is a great performer under pressure. The Junior Championship + the Calder Cup with the Dogs prove it.

Last edited by CanadienErrant*: 02-19-2008 at 09:56 AM.
CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 09:47 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Don't compare Price to that scrub... Fleury has always been an inconsistent goalie, who has always folded under pressure.

2 complete opposites.
Fleury is smallish and rely only on his reflexes. Price is big, and his technique is way better.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Lestriker

Send a message via MSN to Lestriker
Quote:

/thread
Cam Ward won a cup 2 years ago.

Lestriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Id' trade Huet for Dan Boyle... straight up.

Maybe trade Ryder too, but not a necessity.

But as I've said before, I don't believe that Silent Bob will trade Huet. He's more conservative than most perservatives.

You put some Bob Gainey love juice in a can of food and it will last for decades.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Walter View Post
please take off that avatar, i nearly lost my breakfest

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

We should trade Price for Sundin...he is clearly not ready for the NHL and we have 2 good goalies in Huet and Halak.

Old
02-20-2008, 11:34 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
While I would not trade Huet unless someone overpaid for him, I would have to say your statement is totally false. There is a long list of rookie goalies that have had playoff success the most recent being Ward in Carolina.
Where's the rest of your list? Ward is a different situation. Carolina went into the playoffs with Gerber that year as their number one. They didn't trade him before that. They went with Ward and discovered his hot hand by chance only because Gerber was playing poorly in the first two games of the playoffs that year.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 11:37 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Walter View Post
Yeah, but they didn't go into the playoffs with Ward as their number one. Gerber was their number one. Entirely different situation. At the time it would have been moronic for them to trade Gerber before the playoffs and go with an unproven Ward.

Look, if Huet plays poorly in the playoffs we can always give Price a chance and if he get's us a Cup, so be it, but you don't go into the playoffs after a fantastic season contending for number one without your number one goalie.

If we go into the playoffs with home ice advantage after trading our number one goalie only to see Carey Price let in some bad goals on our way to a first round exit you'll see posts on the board calling for Gainey's head for trading Huet.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote