HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why I Would Trade Huet Before the Deadline??

Old
02-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Astroboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
This is not a bash against Huet or a pro price thread, so please let's not take it in that direction. This is simple economics and what direction this team will be going beyond this season.

With that, here is my reasoning.

1) Huet will demand 4 million+ on at least a 3 year contract, that money can be used for a elite player in the off-season.

2) While his trade value has dipped a little lately, he has shown to be a top 10 goalie in this league and still has value, even for a high pick in 2008 or 2009.

3) Goaltending is our greatest depth position. Halak and Price IMO can carry the load for this team and are BOTH capabale of being a #1 goalie.

4) How long will Halak be sitting in the minors, the kid need to develop in the NHL.

5) While this may hurt us for this playoff year, we are still a year or two away from a serious shot at the cup. With dmen like Mc Donough, Valentenko, Emelin, Caryle, Fisher, O'Byrne, only 2-3 to soldify the defense in front of these young goalies.

I like Huet, but it's time to let him go for either a future pick or a solid shut down forward. The bottom 6 forwards IMO are by far the weakest area of our team.

I agree. As much as I love Huet, it is time to let him go! I am not so sure he would get much value in terms of a trade at the deadline, and I am not so sure I would go with a couple of rookies in the playoffs. I would rather the team keep him for the playoff run (anything can happen) and go with Price/Halak or Danis next year. This would free up some cap space for a potential UFA (Hossa...I know I am dreaming).....or for a contract extension for someone like Kovy or Pleks. Huet will demand 3+ year deal if he is smart......if only he would agree to a one year deal. Then it would be worth keeping him around...I don't think he or his agent are that dumb though.

Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 04:38 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Only if I can sign Hossa... and before you reply with but Huet is a UFA too, let me explain.

As far as this year is concerned Huet gives us a better chance than Hossa in the playoffs....
Once Price has experience and in future years Hossa will be much more valuable.

So if we are only considering from now till July then no.... If we can get Hossa signed yes.
I disagree, imo Price/Hossa > Huet/Price today.

Last edited by HankyZetts: 02-16-2008 at 04:45 PM.
HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's not being lazy it's getting tired of the Huet haters. It's the same old story, all they do is wait in the weeds for any small opening to jump all over the "get rid of Huet" bandwagon. Price wins ONE game to Huet's TEN and we are bombarded with 10 "get rid of Huet" threads.

What sense does it make to trade your starting goalie when you are among the top 5-6 teams in the NHL? What contender is thinking of trading their #1 goalie and giving a rookie the job? The Habs have a ton of kids, it's not like we NEED to get a high pick or good prospect for Huet.

I'm glad Gainey knows more about hockey and the NHL than you(Huet haters).
I challenge you to read my post CAREFULLY ( the very first one on this thread).... the first sentence and the last paragraph.

It's called asset management in the cap era. Why are we going to pay 4 plus million for a goaltender when we have TWO potential #1 waiting in the wings.

You people who "second that" and "third that" are going to be the same posters who will be moaning how we lost Huet in the off season for nothing!

It's not like Price has not carried a team in the playoffs... anyone remember the 2007 Calder Cup champions!!

While I agree that there may not be a great market for him, isn't getting even a high pick for him better than nothing. Think ahead guys, not just for THIS season!!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
Why I would not trade Huet before the deadline:

- Because he's our #1 goalie and you can't go with a rookie in the playoffs

/thread
Ken Dryden

Patrick Roy

and if your gonna crap on that

Cam Ward

stfukthxbye

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:
This is not a bash against Huet or a pro price thread, so please let's not take it in that direction. This is simple economics and what direction this team will be going beyond this season.

1) Huet will demand 4 million+ on at least a 3 year contract, that money can be used for a elite player in the off-season.

2) While his trade value has dipped a little lately, he has shown to be a top 10 goalie in this league and still has value, even for a high pick in 2008 or 2009.

3) Goaltending is our greatest depth position. Halak and Price IMO can carry the load for this team and are BOTH capabale of being a #1 goalie.

4) How long will Halak be sitting in the minors, the kid need to develop in the NHL.

5) While this may hurt us for this playoff year, we are still a year or two away from a serious shot at the cup. With dmen like Mc Donough, Valentenko, Emelin, Caryle, Fisher, O'Byrne, only 2-3 to soldify the defense in front of these young goalies.

I like Huet, but it's time to let him go for either a future pick or a solid shut down forward. The bottom 6 forwards IMO are by far the weakest area of our team.
I also Agree 100% with everything, some hab fans are so blind

The only reason im not mailing this letter to Gainey is because he already knows all this

But i doubt he will shockingly trade huet at the deadline, not unless price wins the next 10 in a row or something, What will happen is what happened with Souray and he will be let go for nothing

and i am fine with that, but i just cant imagin what we would of gotten for souray last year, and what , if anything, we could get for Huet this year

It makes me sick to think we could be that much better instead of letting people go for nothing, but i am ok with what Gainey will do , who didnt see Souray leaving after last year, and who doesnt see Huet gone after this year? People gotta wake up

Old
02-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Lone Rogue

Who would take Huet? Clearly a team needs to already be heavy in the playoff hunt to make the deal. In other words, it has to be a team that needs a goaltender.

The only team I could see realistically trading for a goalie is Carolina, who hasn't been very solid with Cam Ward. Carolina has nothing to give that would allow Montreal to offset having a great goalie like Huet in their system that would push us to the Cup (Say Erik Cole and I'll cut you for being stupid).

Having Huet and Price is a great thing. Think about Detroit's first Cup. They had two capable goalies: Osgood and Vernon. Osgood was expected to go all the way in the post-season, but it was Mike Vernon who took the reigns. If we only have Price, do you expect HALAK to take up the reigns? The probability is nil.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 04:46 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
Why I would not trade Huet before the deadline:

- Because he's our #1 goalie and you can't go with a rookie in the playoffs

/thread
You weren't around with Roy and Dryden came here. I can tell

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 04:48 PM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

i hope he gets traded so that all the huet bashers can start bashing price and then we trade him so they can bash halak, then danis, then we have no goalie so we bash the players and trade them all then we sell the team and buy a new team and make the fans build it and we suck.

/thread

HabsHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 04:48 PM
TheOldSage

The Thrashers are in a similar position, if they want to make the playoff they should keep Hossa, but no they are trying to trade him because they think about the future of the team. We are in the same boat with Huet. And even more we have better replacement for Huet than they have for Hossa. Huet is not the reason we are winning games this year. Please trade him for the future of this team.

TheOldSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 04:50 PM
GNick42

Quote:

Huet is done here July 1...no way Habs can carry another big contract in Huet and add a star forward. Just not enough cap room. No knock on Huet or anything...Price is the goalie of the future.

If a Detroit offers up a couple of #1draft picks for Huet....this cuts Gainey a lot more room at the trade deadline. He would feel much easier dealing a prospect for a Hossa or Adam Foote.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozbee View Post
The Thrashers are in a similar position, if they want to make the playoff they should keep Hossa, but no they are trying to trade him because they think about the future of the team. We are in the same boat with Huet. And even more we have better replacement for Huet than they have for Hossa. Huet is not the reason we are winning games this year. Please trade him for the future of this team.
Thank you

Old
02-16-2008, 04:54 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Who would take Huet? Clearly a team needs to already be heavy in the playoff hunt to make the deal. In other words, it has to be a team that needs a goaltender.

The only team I could see realistically trading for a goalie is Carolina, who hasn't been very solid with Cam Ward. Carolina has nothing to give that would allow Montreal to offset having a great goalie like Huet in their system that would push us to the Cup (Say Erik Cole and I'll cut you for being stupid).

Having Huet and Price is a great thing. Think about Detroit's first Cup. They had two capable goalies: Osgood and Vernon. Osgood was expected to go all the way in the post-season, but it was Mike Vernon who took the reigns. If we only have Price, do you expect HALAK to take up the reigns? The probability is nil.
First of all, Halak almost got us into the playoffs last year when he took up the reins due to Huet's injury.

Second, Halak has been playing brilliantly (when he actually is in the lineup) this year.

Of course Huet would be a better choice this year in the playoffs...IF you believe we have a shot to win the cup. Here's where I remind you that as well as the Habs have been playing this year, that game against Ottawa shows me that we still have work to do.

If Gainey can't find a trading partner for Huet, then off course keep him, but I would certainly let trading partners know that he is in play as part of a package for an elite player, or a solid shut down centerman!

Old
02-16-2008, 04:56 PM
kovalev47

Quote:

Let me ask you this question then. If Price becomes a good goalie in the future, would you trade him away if he commends 5 mil+ for cap reasons?

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 05:02 PM
HotPie

Quote:
First of all, Halak almost got us into the playoffs last year when he took up the reins due to Huet's injury.

Second, Halak has been playing brilliantly (when he actually is in the lineup) this year.

Of course Huet would be a better choice this year in the playoffs...IF you believe we have a shot to win the cup. Here's where I remind you that as well as the Habs have been playing this year, that game against Ottawa shows me that we still have work to do.

If Gainey can't find a trading partner for Huet, then off course keep him, but I would certainly let trading partners know that he is in play as part of a package for an elite player, or a solid shut down centerman!
Look, if you're fine with having two rookie goaltenders carry the load until the playoffs and till next year, more power to you.

Most sane, logical people wouldn't. You don't rush goaltenders, especially not now. Developing goalies is a slow process, and rushing it only hinders the development of the goalie; Marc-Andre Fleury is the prime example for this. Hell, look at Cam Ward: he had an awesome performance in the playoffs so Carolina's management thought he was ready...but he clearly wasn't.

Rushing goalies is BAD. Period.

Another factor you have to consider: there's absolutely no market for goalies right now, even less due to the parity in the league. Do you honestly think a team vying for a playoff spot is willing to trade an elite player for a goalie, much less Huet? How much value do you think he has anyways? I'd personally wager about as much as Bryzgalov, which isn't much.

Look, there's just more positives in NOT trading Huet. Price and Halak are most probably NOT ready to carry the load, and there is no evidence suggesting they should. Even IF they could, I don't think anyone with a decent hockey mind will be willing to take that gamble, and potentially **** the development of two goalies over, it's just not happening.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Here's where I remind you that as well as the Habs have been playing this year, that game against Ottawa shows me that we still have work to do.
Of course we do.

I'll also remind you of the game against the new jersey devils. This is a team built on emotion. If the team is confident, we can beat anyone in the NHL. Once the team loses its confidence, we all fall apart.

Huet is our number one goalie. People need to understand that. Price is the hot hand right now but to already rely on it is suicide.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 05:06 PM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev47 View Post
Let me ask you this question then. If Price becomes a good goalie in the future, would you trade him away if he commends 5 mil+ for cap reasons?
No because Price will be better than Huet and worth the money. Also, I own a crystal ball so I'm always right.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 05:06 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Yeah, but they are the exception, not the rule. For every Roy or Ward there are a ton of veteran guys. Plus, those teams had a veteran option and the young guy forced himself into the job. Going with 2 kids is asking for trouble.

You need Huet there and if Price gets red hot late in the year, I have no problem with him starting, if he struggles Huet is there.
I think the media, coaches and GM's spout lots of comments that they really believe are true, but in reality are just their own vague perception of reality.

You need a hot goaltender to go deep the playoffs... period. He can be a veteran or he can be a rookie... the experience has a lot less to do with it than most think. Every year there are 15 goaltenders that fail to win the cup for their team in the playoffs and one that succeeds. When a rookie fails it's easy to point the finger and say... he failed. But what about Brodeur, Luongo, Kiprusoff and others. They all failed to win last year, too.

I'm not necessarily advocating trading Huet, in fact I am a big fan. But if you could seriously upgrade the team that plays in front our goaltender, then perhaps, the goaltending postiion isn't quite as critical as if you have a mediocre team.

It would take a ton of guts to do it... but, as one poster said, if you can significantly upgrade your team you should at least take a look at it.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 05:18 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev47 View Post
If Carey Price lives up to his potential, then of course not, he would be a franchise goaltender worth the money.

Is Huet a franchise goalie, if management thinks so, then they should trade Price. Huet is good, but not a franchise goalie.

So if we don't win the cup on the shoulders of Huet, are you okay with losing him for nothing.

Old
02-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:
If Carey Price lives up to his potential, then of course not, he would be a franchise goaltender worth the money.

Is Huet a franchise goalie, if management thinks so, then they should trade Price. Huet is good, but not a franchise goalie.

So if we don't win the cup on the shoulders of Huet, are you okay with losing him for nothing.
Exactly

What kind of stupid question is that kovalev47???

Its not about us not wanting to give a goalie 5 million, **** we gave theo 6 million

If huet wants number 1 money, he will NOt be getting it in montreal! If Price commands number 1 money, then itll mean hes winning 30 games on a yearly basis, kthx

Old
02-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Habitants

no one needs a starter. if you need a starting goalie on your playoff tem at this point its a surprise.

detroit does NOT need any goalie!

some teams need backup...ie San jose

Halak will go in a package to SJ for Marleau.

you heard it here

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 06:55 PM
bentheprop

Quote:

You definitely hit on a lot of points that I agree with. That being said, I don't think that Gainey should actively shop Huet but I think he should definitely entertain offers in case there's one that's just too good to pass up. Remember #1 goalies don't have to go to contenders even when they're impending UFAs. The Flyers picked up Biron and then resigned him last year.

Also for all of the posters that don't think we should be going into the playoffs with a rookie goalie: you don't have to worry, we won't be. We'll be going into the playoffs with 2 rookie goalies.

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 06:56 PM
LamborGREENie

Quote:
I have to disagree 100% with this. As the Canadiens have shown us this year, they have many tricks up their sleeves and are to be taken as a serious threat. If Huet gets back in his groove, this team is as good as any other...

LamborGREENie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Astroboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Look, if you're fine with having two rookie goaltenders carry the load until the playoffs and till next year, more power to you.

Most sane, logical people wouldn't. You don't rush goaltenders, especially not now. Developing goalies is a slow process, and rushing it only hinders the development of the goalie; Marc-Andre Fleury is the prime example for this. Hell, look at Cam Ward: he had an awesome performance in the playoffs so Carolina's management thought he was ready...but he clearly wasn't.

Rushing goalies is BAD. Period.

Another factor you have to consider: there's absolutely no market for goalies right now, even less due to the parity in the league. Do you honestly think a team vying for a playoff spot is willing to trade an elite player for a goalie, much less Huet? How much value do you think he has anyways? I'd personally wager about as much as Bryzgalov, which isn't much.

Look, there's just more positives in NOT trading Huet. Price and Halak are most probably NOT ready to carry the load, and there is no evidence suggesting they should. Even IF they could, I don't think anyone with a decent hockey mind will be willing to take that gamble, and potentially **** the development of two goalies over, it's just not happening.

I agree, they are probably not ready to carry the load, as they are so young, however, should Bob go out and sign Huet for another 3-4 years? If that is the case instead of being rushed and not developing, the opposite may occur being that the goalies may not play enough to properly develop......and one of them won't play in the NHL at all if that is the case, which would probably be Halak. It's not really fair to keep Halak in the AHL. Next year Price will have some experience in the NHL, and Halak would have had a bit as well (he has a lot of pro experience - AHL) so why not let them run with it, and if problems arise trade for an inexpensive vet in goal (which Huet is not - inexpensive that is). There is also the Danis factor - I think he could be a decent NHL goalie as well. So much depth, so why not take advantage of this and spend on a free agent forward or trade for one instead of wasting money on Huet who is not and will never be an ELITE goalie. Obviously there is not much of a trade market for goalies, so the team should use the depth they have themselves as it is good cheap talent, and use the extra cash to get a much needed top line forward. I love Huet, but I think it is time for him to leave be it as a free agent in the summer, or via a deadline trade.

Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 07:06 PM
kovalev47

Quote:

Well I disagree man. I think Huet is a franchise goalie. However, you could be right about management not thinking that. If we didn't win the cup, I would still at least attempt winning the cup with Huet, even if he walks at the end of the season.

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Miller Time

it comes done to an asset management decision imo...

3 questions need to be asked:

- how valuable is huet to the team (long term)

- how replaceable is he (internally or via trade/ufa)

- how important is he to team chemistry/success right now

and then based on how Gainey sees those questions answered, he would have to measure them up to how much he's being offered by other teams.

Even if he knew Huet was going to walk in the offseason, it would make no sense to trade him unless the offer was very good.

Personally, I like Huet, but I don't see him being an integral part of the teams plans past next year, and I do think that he could be suffeciently replaced in the offseason by signing or trading for a veteran guy with something to prove (since i think that Price will be ready to handle 30-40 games, if not more, next year).
BUT, he is an integral part of the team right now, so unless trading him brings back a boat load of assets (elite prospects/picks), or enough NHL talent in areas we need help to offset what he brings to our goaltending situation (a top 3 dman, or a legit physical top 6 forward), there would be no sense in trading him.

either way though, Gainey's handling of this situation will certainly go along way to highlight his effectivness as a GM...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote