HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

GDT Portland Pirates VS Hartford Wolfpack - Pack Win 6-3

Old
02-16-2008, 11:54 PM
NYR fan 2

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Inferno, I definitely agree with you on Jessiman that he will def. make it. He was drafted in 2003 then tore up his ankle and had to sit for a year then had to rehab. So basically it took 1.5-2 years of development away from him and then add in that bigger fowards take longer to develop and I can see him as a solid 2nd or 3rd line player. I keep telling people that (not on here though, I don't post often) and I really think he'll make it soon.

NYR fan 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 12:22 AM
dank

i'm all for it as well.

give him time... why not?

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Pizza

I'll admit that I gave up on him for a while, but the guy is really hanging in there. It's really great to see. The Rangers need to hang on to him. He's earning it.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 02:49 AM
squishy

I generally try not to do too much editorializing when writing the game wraps I do based on watching the games online, because it's often hard to see plays develop or watch what players are doing away from the puck. But since I saw this one live, I figured I'd share some impressions:

- My husband, who doesn't get to watch as many games online as I do (but is generally listening while I watch), ranked Anisimov and Jessiman as the two most impressive players in the game. Regarding Jessiman, as he explained it "he's beginning to develop a 'presence' on the ice", which I think is a great way to describe it. Jessiman used to let the game happen to him, and react to it. Now he's starting to dictate the play himself.

- As for Anisimov, though he didn't show up on the scoresheet, he was on the ice for both Hossa's and Hutchinson's power play goals, and was set up in the slot providing the screen on both. He was an impressive 11-3 on faceoffs (by my unofficial count) and had at least four takeaways thanks to some aggressive forechecking and backchecking. He's playing with much more confidence than earlier in the season, and its obvious at both ends of the ice.

- It's possible, of course, that Anisimov only looked so impressive because his linemates, Hossa and Bourret, were among the least impressive. Despite scoring a goal in the first shift of the game, Hossa looked like an average AHL player, nevermind an NHLer. He definitely gets the benefit of the doubt after going close to 5 weeks without playing, but what bugged me most was the fact that he looked generally disengaged from the game. I suspect most Ranger fans are familiar with this look.

- Bourret, despite his 2 assists, continues to be a source of frustration. His talent is obvious, but his effort flags from one shift to another and he continues to make some truly boneheaded passes, particularly when breaking out of his own zone. And his effort in chasing down pucks is lackluster at best.

- Speaking of boneheaded plays, Ivan Baranka can be the Pack's single most impressive defenseman one minute, then put an outlet pass directly on the stick of an opposing forward the next. That kind of inconsistency is the only thing that's keeping him from making the next step right now.

- Brodie Dupont still looks a bit like a rookie who's struggling a bit to keep up. Overall, I like what he has to offer, but he often looks a step behind, not necessarily physically, but mentally.

- Greg Moore seems to have lost a step since his early-season breakout. He's still picking up points and playing well on the PK, but he doesn't seem to be as dominant or noticeable when he's on the ice. Maybe it's the yo-you trip between Hartford and NY he's been on for most of the season that's put a dent in his confidence.

- I'm starting to really get a "this is something special" vibe off this team. They just might be one of the deepest, most well-rounded teams in the league. What's been amazing about their recent 23-goals-in-their-last-4-games scoring burst is that the goals are coming from throughout the lineup. All three lines are a threat, and even spare forwards Owens and Ouellette have been making contributions on the scoreboard.

Last edited by squishy: 02-17-2008 at 03:03 AM.
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 05:17 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
- Greg Moore seems to have lost a step since his early-season breakout. He's still picking up points and playing well on the PK, but he doesn't seem to be as dominant or noticeable when he's on the ice. Maybe it's the yo-you trip between Hartford and NY he's been on for most of the season that's put a dent in his confidence.
I agree, but I think the reason for it is conditioning.

Moore really improved his skating from last season. He is a heavy kid, he have always had decent speed for long distances, but have been slow in his acceleration.

The fact that he had improved his skating and intensity so much this summer hints that he showed up in better shape then he ever have before. And the reports have always been that Moore have worked really hard.

Its not unusual that you loose allot of strength during a season. Often a player like Moore who gets to one level takes a step back late in his first season after getting there. Some guys got problems with it their entire career; like they look great for the first 3-4 month and then loose their legs.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 05:31 AM
Ola

Quote:
- I'm starting to really get a "this is something special" vibe off this team. They just might be one of the deepest, most well-rounded teams in the league. What's been amazing about their recent 23-goals-in-their-last-4-games scoring burst is that the goals are coming from throughout the lineup. All three lines are a threat, and even spare forwards Owens and Ouellette have been making contributions on the scoreboard.
Defenitly!

I mean they got only 3 vets on the team really, Hutch, Pöck and Parenteua.

I think having Hutch and Pöck is extremely important for them. Hutch and Pöck on the points in the AHL is like having Leetch and Zubov in their prime almost in the NHL...

They really provide a backbone for the team when it comes to their offensive game. They really helps out the forwards and makes the team a huge threat on the PP.

However, the rest of this team is all kids. The fact that they are so good; closing in on the 1st overall team -- is nothing but really impressing.

We defenitly got allot of kids in the farm who is really good and just a few notches from establishing themself in the NHL.

Old
02-17-2008, 07:59 AM
9darter
Soft Euro

vCash: 738
Quote:
- Speaking of boneheaded plays, Ivan Baranka can be the Pack's single most impressive defenseman one minute, then put an outlet pass directly on the stick of an opposing forward the next. That kind of inconsistency is the only thing that's keeping him from making the next step right now.
I seem to remember a Courant article on Baranka earlier in the season where he himself said that his instincts are to make the simple, safe plays, but that the coaching staff wants him to be more creative with the puck, accepting the cost of a few mistakes here and there. So the occasional bonehead play would be a consequence of the overall development strategy and nothing to worry about.

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR fan 2 View Post
Inferno, I definitely agree with you on Jessiman that he will def. make it. He was drafted in 2003 then tore up his ankle and had to sit for a year then had to rehab. So basically it took 1.5-2 years of development away from him and then add in that bigger fowards take longer to develop and I can see him as a solid 2nd or 3rd line player. I keep telling people that (not on here though, I don't post often) and I really think he'll make it soon.
I feel like we shouldn't keep making excuses for him at this point, so I think it's just good that he's playing well and getting better at this point. Maybe that corner has finally been turned and he can be considered "on track" in his development.

The Rangers will still have to decide whether to give him a contract after this year, but I think they will. I kind of feel like they haven't given up on him yet, and his improvement this year makes it more likely. He won't get nearly as much as his initial contract, but that could also be better for him in some ways as it makes it more likely that he could get into the Rangers lineup. You don't really want to pay $1 mill + (or whatever his contract is) to a guy who might not be able to do anything at the NHL level. But you could be more willing to give him a shot if he's making a lot less.

I imagine he still has a ways to go, but he has the rest of this season and the playoffs to continue making an impression, and then the whole summer to continue to work on his deficiencies (like balance). Maybe he can force his way onto the team next year, or at least earn a callup

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 10:10 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
yep, its why i wont give up on this kid. Hes got a lot of potential still, and hes still got some time.
Think Mike Knuble.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I feel like we shouldn't keep making excuses for him at this point, so I think it's just good that he's playing well and getting better at this point. Maybe that corner has finally been turned and he can be considered "on track" in his development.

The Rangers will still have to decide whether to give him a contract after this year, but I think they will. I kind of feel like they haven't given up on him yet, and his improvement this year makes it more likely. He won't get nearly as much as his initial contract, but that could also be better for him in some ways as it makes it more likely that he could get into the Rangers lineup. You don't really want to pay $1 mill + (or whatever his contract is) to a guy who might not be able to do anything at the NHL level. But you could be more willing to give him a shot if he's making a lot less.

I imagine he still has a ways to go, but he has the rest of this season and the playoffs to continue making an impression, and then the whole summer to continue to work on his deficiencies (like balance). Maybe he can force his way onto the team next year, or at least earn a callup
Yeah, I don't wanna loose Jessiman yet. I could see teams like Philly, NJD or Toronto promising him gold and a green forrest this summer.

Anyway if Jessiman had just been signed as a UFA out of college or something; we would be really positive about that kid. Its easy to loose perspective.

Whats important is that Jessiman is improving by the season now, getting better and better. Everyone in HFD seems really upbeat and positive; which great to see. Hugh is one of them, he is far from the pressured kid he was 1-2 years ago.

Old
02-17-2008, 11:58 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Yeah, I don't wanna loose Jessiman yet. I could see teams like Philly, NJD or Toronto promising him gold and a green forrest this summer.

Anyway if Jessiman had just been signed as a UFA out of college or something; we would be really positive about that kid. Its easy to loose perspective.

Whats important is that Jessiman is improving by the season now, getting better and better. Everyone in HFD seems really upbeat and positive; which great to see. Hugh is one of them, he is far from the pressured kid he was 1-2 years ago.
Great point, Ola. I bet if you were to interview him 10 years from now (hopefully towards the end of a solid NHL career), he would say that this was one of the factors that helped him take a big step forward in 2007-2008.

Knock wood.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 12:40 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

That's a really good commentary about Jessiman. Also, lets keep in mind that he wouldn't be the first player his size to be a late bloomer. Look at Bertuzzi and some others and you will know what I mean. Power forwards in general just seem to bloom later than most NHLers. Its almost as if the game suddenly slows down for them at some point, whereas before that the speed of the game was too much for them.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote