HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Topic, All season....Again! The Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread V2.0

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2004, 07:10 PM
FlyersGuy69

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
I would fire Wade before I fired anybody. that guy has been brutal since he got here and Bowa is going to pay for Wades incompetence.

the ownership is the main problem. you need an owner who is committed to winning, not just talking about it.

I am not saying that Bowa hasn't done anything wrong but Wade constructed the team, which is not even to being as good as people thought they were.

the Phils need to make alot of changes and as long as Wade is making the decisions, it's going to be a long time before we see the floundering Phillies in the playoffs.

Old
08-12-2004, 07:17 PM
letsgoflyers75

Send a message via AIM to letsgoflyers75 Send a message via MSN to letsgoflyers75
How can you say Wade didn't build a good team? He's not a psychic, he can't see how the team is going to perform. His job is to build the best team he can. Bowa's job is to get the team to perform at the level they are supposed to. If the team is underacheiving, it's Bowa's fault, not Ed Wade's.

Old
08-12-2004, 07:34 PM
FlyersGuy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMe7219
How can you say Wade didn't build a good team? He's not a psychic, he can't see how the team is going to perform. His job is to build the best team he can. Bowa's job is to get the team to perform at the level they are supposed to. If the team is underacheiving, it's Bowa's fault, not Ed Wade's.
what good team are you looking at? what has this team ever won? nothing.
they have no centerfielder. they're catcher is done. they have a lineup that strikeout way to much. they have a shortstop that wants to hit HR's instead of singles. they have a LF who can't dive or run hard to the wall because he's afraid to hurt himself.

also, didn't Wade offer Millwood arbitration so that he would get a stupid draft pick for him when he signed with another team? which he didn't. he would've been able to sign Schilling if he had just let him walk.

lol, and let's not talk about all the help he got for the team at the trade deadline.

I never said that Bowa didn't deserve some of the blame but Wade is a Mickey Mouse GM and ultimately it's his fault. but don't worry, this ownership loves him so he's not going anywhere.

Old
08-12-2004, 08:09 PM
letsgoflyers75

Send a message via AIM to letsgoflyers75 Send a message via MSN to letsgoflyers75
Clearly on paper they are an excellent team. The rotation at the beginning of the year (Millwood, Padilla, Myers, Milton, and Wolf) is all all-star's, with the exception of Myers. Burrell, Byrd, Abreu (All-Star), Thome (All-Star), Polanco, Rollins (All-Star), Bell, and Lieby sounds like a pretty good team to me. They are an excellent team on paper. The guys that come off the bench have played excellent as well. Ed Wade assembled the team, he did his job. It's Bowa's fault that this team is underacheving, not Ed Wade's. Should Wade have made some deals at the deadline? Yes, but regardless, the team shouldn't have been in the position of needing trades. They've been underachiveing all season long, and if they were playing to their full potential, then they'd be in a good positon and we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

Old
08-12-2004, 09:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
They need to score some runs. With Burrell done, no one will pitch to Thome. If Bowa changes up the lineup, I'm sure it will create different matchups. With Bell out this is what I would want to see:

1. Rollins
2. Polanco
3. Thome
4. Abreu
5. Utley
6. Byrd
7. Lieberthal
8. Whoever is in left.

Old
08-12-2004, 10:17 PM
letsgoflyers75

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
8. Whoever is in left.
Jason Michaels.

Old
08-13-2004, 06:38 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Quote:
Jason Michaels.

BTW,local newspapers said that Burrell is now declining wrist surgery. I'll keep you guys posted.

Was anyone else at Wendsday's game?

Old
08-13-2004, 06:43 PM
letsgoflyers75

I was supposed to go Wednesday, but something came up. I saw something in the Press of Atlantic City that said Burrell went to Baltimore for a second opinion. So we'll see.

Old
08-13-2004, 07:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Jason Michaels.
doesn't matter who it is, they all suck so...

Old
08-14-2004, 08:11 PM
Nikkowar

Well well well...looks like our bullpen messed up.........again

Old
08-14-2004, 08:57 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Im shocked ...................not

Old
08-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
Clearly on paper they are an excellent team. The rotation at the beginning of the year (Millwood, Padilla, Myers, Milton, and Wolf) is all all-star's, with the exception of Myers. Burrell, Byrd, Abreu (All-Star), Thome (All-Star), Polanco, Rollins (All-Star), Bell, and Lieby sounds like a pretty good team to me. They are an excellent team on paper. The guys that come off the bench have played excellent as well. Ed Wade assembled the team, he did his job. It's Bowa's fault that this team is underacheving, not Ed Wade's. Should Wade have made some deals at the deadline? Yes, but regardless, the team shouldn't have been in the position of needing trades. They've been underachiveing all season long, and if they were playing to their full potential, then they'd be in a good positon and we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

Fact: All season the Phils have had weak starting pitching, trouble in center field & a catcher who is losing it. That is not Bowa's fault. Ed Wade overvalued this teams talent and put together a team with too may strike outs and not enough team speed. Now, once it was apparent that there were some holes in this team, it was Ed's responsible to correct these holes. Ed should have made a deal 2 months before the trade deadline when these issues were coming to head. Even if Ed did wait until the trade deadline to correct these problems, this team might still be contending. At the trade deadline the Phils were 2.5 games back. Bowa has done quite well with what he was given. He has managed to keep this group of overpaid babies above .500 while enduring many injuries to key players. Is Bowa the manager of the year? Not even close but he is a better manager than Ed Wade is a GM. In the end Bowa will probably get fired but the truth is, it is Wade, the owners and the players fault that this team is underachieving.

Last edited by Cuiff: 08-16-2004 at 08:13 AM.
Old
08-17-2004, 10:39 AM
Flyers26

Buddy of mine met Larry Anderson in McFadden's after Saturday's game. Here's what was said.

1. He DID meet with Ed, about being the pitching coach, and Ed said he was too close with the pitchers. (Isn't that what you want, a coach who gets along with the players).
2. Players hate Bowa, and you can feel the tension in the locker room everytime you enter it.
3. Hated the Ledee trade. Trading your best bench player for middle relief made no sense.

He had mabye a 15min conversation with LA, and LA was a regular guy, sitting and BS'ing basball talk. My friend wne twith his neighbor, who had played golf before with LA, which is why I'm sure he answered those questions with honesty.

Old
08-17-2004, 12:28 PM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
2. Players hate Bowa, and you can feel the tension in the locker room everytime you enter it.

Poor them. They hate their Boss.

Why are baseball players the largest whinners of the bunch?

Old
08-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Flyers26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli
Poor them. They hate their Boss.

Why are baseball players the largest whinners of the bunch?
I bet 90% of all pro athletes are coddled babies.
Look at what the Flyer players did to Barber, a Philly legend!

Old
08-17-2004, 01:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Buddy of mine met Larry Anderson in McFadden's after Saturday's game. Here's what was said.

1. He DID meet with Ed, about being the pitching coach, and Ed said he was too close with the pitchers. (Isn't that what you want, a coach who gets along with the players).
3. Hated the Ledee trade. Trading your best bench player for middle relief made no sense.

He had mabye a 15min conversation with LA, and LA was a regular guy, sitting and BS'ing basball talk. My friend wne twith his neighbor, who had played golf before with LA, which is why I'm sure he answered those questions with honesty.

Ed Wade is an utter bafoon and everyone knows that. Anyone can throw money at Thome and trade some good prospects for better pitchers, but when it comes down making the team better at the absolute premium time to make a deal, he doesn't get it done. There is no reason we couldn't pick up Kris Benson.

Old
08-17-2004, 01:45 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:

Larry Andersen, I'm sure he knows his pitching after being an MLB veteran for 15+ years, I respect that. However, as a broadcaster the man is a grade A idiot. The only time I watch the Phils is when they play Atlanta, and that's because I have to, because TBS/Turner South (on MLB extra innings) is blacked out.

exhibit A:
"Turner Field is a hitters park"...wrong
exhibit B:
"I dont know WHY bobby cox plays Abreu to hit the opposite way"...next pitch, Abreu hits the opposite way
...and I had some other good ones which actually made my AIM profile

From a Phillies standpoint, however, he'd be a good hire at pitching coach, if he's close to a lot of the pitchers I think he'd be easier to work with. Team Chemistry goes a long way, IMO. And who better to hire than somebody who has already been watching their every move all season long.

Old
08-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Flyers26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McGillis 03
From a Phillies standpoint, however, he'd be a good hire at pitching coach, if he's close to a lot of the pitchers I think he'd be easier to work with. Team Chemistry goes a long way, IMO. And who better to hire than somebody who has already been watching their every move all season long.
That's how they hired Kerrigan, he was the post game analyst, and had a good track record as the pitching coach w/ Boston, he just stunk as a manager.

I shake my head at some of Wade's logic... LA wouldn't be a good coach, because he's too close to the players? That's what you *** want you MORON!!! Fire him and let Dallas Green take over the GM's job!

Old
08-17-2004, 02:00 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
The thing with Kerrigan is this I believe. He doesn't let his pitchers use the slidestep and that allegedly has some of the Phillies pitchers pissed off, I don't know which ones, but I read that somewhere. I don't think I'm getting the facts confused, but maybe I am.

Old
08-18-2004, 03:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I am exhausted at the Phillies incoherent ways and utter assanine logic. We were 2.5 games out of the division less than a month ago and now it is 8.5. Ya think the fact that Ed Wade did nothing most of deadline week had any effect on the psyche of the team. He got rid of a CF instead of getting one, and brought in Felix Rodriguez, who isn't bad, but I get the sense he was brought in so that Ed Wade can say he did something at the deadline.

If you want to win, you gotta give up some assets, and it is clear that this team's priorites are NOT in order. They call themselves contenders and they're not even over .500 despite picking up better players in the off-season. Mike Lieberthal SUCKS get rid of him.

Unfortunetaly the wrong guy is gonna get fired and that is Bowa.

Does Ed Wade remind anyone else of the kid in 10 grade who got stuffed in a locker and was given a wedgie and hung on a coat hook in the bathroom. If he wore glasses he would look like a computer nerd.

Ed Wade joined Gary Bettman and Billy King as students in my "Introduction to Simple and Rational Logistics" class.

Old
08-18-2004, 07:06 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
If you want to win, you gotta give up some assets, and it is clear that this team's priorites are NOT in order. They call themselves contenders and they're not even over .500 despite picking up better players in the off-season. Mike Lieberthal SUCKS get rid of him.

Unfortunetaly the wrong guy is gonna get fired and that is Bowa.

Even if it's not all Bowa's fault, he should get fired. He had one good season where the team overacchieved, 2001, and the phillies upper management thinks bowa has that in him. The Phils are unmotivated, everyone is pissed at Bowa.

Lieberthal doesn't necessarily suck, but he also has a pissy attitude. I notice whenever a phils pitcher struggles, Lieberthal never goes out to talk to him, Marzano even made a point of that on a postgame show. I'd trade him, pick up a good defensive catcher with a decent bat.

Old
08-18-2004, 07:48 PM
FlyersGuy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McGillis 03
Lieberthal doesn't necessarily suck, but he also has a pissy attitude. I notice whenever a phils pitcher struggles, Lieberthal never goes out to talk to him, Marzano even made a point of that on a postgame show. I'd trade him, pick up a good defensive catcher with a decent bat.
Lieberthal is 30+ years old who is a below average hitter with below average power. he also sucks handling the pitchers and is a poor defensive catcher.

he is going to make almost 15 mill over the next 2 years. with his suspect skills on the decline, what team would pay that money over the next 2 years? plus, give you something of value in return?........nobody.

Old
08-18-2004, 09:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
he is going to make almost 15 mill over the next 2 years. with his suspect skills on the decline, what team would pay that money over the next 2 years? plus, give you something of value in return?........nobody.

he is like John LeClair. Given a prominent role on the team he can't handle. Just getting rid of him will do us better, and then we can either trade for or sign a better catcher. I know the Angels are very deep in prospect catchers. Pretty soon, the Phillies are going to be looking to cut payroll espically if they keep doing poorly and not even sniffing the post season (much less making it)

Old
08-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Nikkowar

The only thing Lieby is good for is creative nick names.

Mike Leave-em on

Old
08-23-2004, 12:36 AM
Nikkowar

Well,good news! Looks like the Phillies have come to their senses and swept the Brew Crew

Closed Thread