HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: CBJ at Blues, 6 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 17, FSN Ohio (HD) (Road Trip Part 2 edition)

Old
02-17-2008, 10:02 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
I don't know if any one player, aside from a healthy Sidney Crosby would be sufficient to help the jackets make the playoffs this season.

Howson took steps to make the team better, but they were quick fix, band aid moves, hopefully, he knows now that we will have to be a little more proactive this offseason, We'll have a boatload of money, even if Ownership and Mike Priest have a self imposed cap.

This team made great strides playing meaningful games this long into the season. Hitch squeezed every drop of juice out of orange, but it was half rotten to begin with.
Now, which is the half-rotten part? Or to rephrase, the less juicy part?

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 10:15 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Now, which is the half-rotten part? Or to rephrase, the less juicy part?
The half rotten part of the Orange thats a metaphor for this organization is clearly the players.

We all seem to agree that we have the right coach to get us into the playoffs and we all seem to agree that we have a much more sensable and smart GM than we've had in the past from a personnel standpoint, its clear where the problem lies.

Almost everyone on this team, player-wise, was acquired by the previous regime, several of who witnessed first hand demoralizing losses, no coach accountabilty and a club-like atmosphere.

Getting rid of some of the old baggage on this team will allow us more flexability in FA this summer and hopefully will provide us some potential NHLer's in trades before the deadline.

But do not confuse this with blind faith in Howson and Hitch... Hitch has never gone a full season at the helm and not made the playoffs, but this seems to be the year that streak is broken, don't forget, he was fired from his last job. As for Howson, he, for lack of a better term, was a high profile bean counter for Edmonton with no previous General Manager experience at this level. Also, consider this, Howson played only a handful of games in the NHL (Not sure of the exact number, I'm want to say 6 or 7 games. Hitch never played in the NHL.)

This could just be the tired rantings of a poster with too much time on his hands to sit here since 5:30 pm brooding over this game tonight.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 02-17-2008 at 10:22 PM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 10:22 PM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post

If this had a #97 on it you wouldn't be able to tell a difference.
I have been bashing him for weeks and months and nobody has backed me up until tonight. He is the weak link of our defense by FAR.

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 10:32 PM
cbj43054

Send a message via AIM to cbj43054
sell, sell, sell! this is not the year for the playoffs! sell, sell, sell!

cbj43054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 10:36 PM
cbj43054

Send a message via AIM to cbj43054
sell, sell, sell!! this team is not ready for the playoffs and its the typical joke of the jackets... These guys knew it was crunch time but yet they played on their heels. I will always cheer for our boys but damn, c'mon!! push! don't loose a game this bad! argh! always next year I guess! :-(

cbj43054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Wisnutsen21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
I have been bashing him for weeks and months and nobody has backed me up until tonight. He is the weak link of our defense by FAR.
timeless winters post inspired my avatar

Wisnutsen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 10:41 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Of course, Hitch is the best judge of which part of the CBJ roster is the "less juicy" part, but if I had to guess it would be: Vyborny, Fedorov, Klesla, Malhotra, and Foote.

Vyborny - always has looked to pass rather than shoot, but this year looks like he'd rather be someplace else. I say we grant him his wish.

Fedorov - had a rap of being lazy and inconsistent before he was traded here. His age and injuries don't help him either. Don't re-sign and spend the $6+ million on a more capable center - at least one who plays significantly more games than he misses.

Klesla - Too soft, too fragile, doesn't stick up for his teammates and also a big part of the problem with the OFFENSE. Remember, when he came into the league and he'd shoot the puck early and often? What happened? Trade him while we can still get value.

Malhotra - No one should forget we got him from waivers. Dallas gave up on him after New York did the same. Manny embodies the inconsistency of this club. He's either coasting or busting his behind to make a play. He'd finally fulfill his potential if he would do it every time out on the ice. Trade him.

Foote - Doesn't shoot from the point nearly as often as he used to. Tries to come across as tough in his public comments, but too often comes across as whiny. He's the captain, this is HIS team. I won't say he's part of the problem, but he certainly isn't enough of the solution. Trade at the deadline. If Hitch's public overtures are what he's telling Howson in private, sign him for $2 million and give the C to someone else. He could be an effective role player.

In addition, I'll add this:
Tollefson - Having a rough sophomore year. Heart doesn't seem to be his problem, only talent. Needs seasoning and wouldn't fetch much on the trade market. Keep and see what another year of development will do for him.

Nash - Needs to learn to bring it every shift and perform when it's important for the TEAM, not just when it's important to HIM. Nash needs to mature as a leader and lead this team in the future. Keep and groom for a leadership role.

Norrena - Certainly not having the season he had last year. Takes loses too personally and needs to develop a short memory. The Jackets need to upgrade the backup goalie position, but Mason is coming. Heart is certainly not Norrena's problem, but I suspect his teammates are not picking up a huge air of confidence from him (and thus are playing more cautiously and less aggressively on offense with him in net). Keep Norrena as a placeholder until Mason is ready next year or the year after.

Last edited by leesmith: 02-17-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Old
02-17-2008, 11:01 PM
TheCinBin

Send a message via AIM to TheCinBin
At this point I am just hoping that we can at least finish over .500 (be it only a game or two) when the season's over. My playoff hopes are shot, but while we will still be the laughing stock of the league in that regard (still the only team to not reach the postseason), we can at least have a winning record to our credit.

TheCinBin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 11:12 PM
hockeychica_1

i dont post here much.. but i am a fan of the jackets..

went to the game vs. the wings..and im going to the one vs. the leafs and sens!! the game vs. the habs is probable.

ne ways.. after watching the wings game i got all excited and my hopes of them making playoffs were at a all time high.. however today they went down pretty fast, and i have come to realize that it is time to focus on next season... try and get some assets for feds and a few others...and hopefully sign some key pieces in the offseason. i saw a lot of improvements with this team..compared to last year..(especially guys like nash and z) they have made huge strides, hopefully they take this as a learning experiences and continue to grow next season.

hockeychica_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 11:57 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeychica_1 View Post
i dont post here much.. but i am a fan of the jackets..

went to the game vs. the wings..and im going to the one vs. the leafs and sens!! the game vs. the habs is probable.

ne ways.. after watching the wings game i got all excited and my hopes of them making playoffs were at a all time high.. however today they went down pretty fast, and i have come to realize that it is time to focus on next season... try and get some assets for feds and a few others...and hopefully sign some key pieces in the offseason. i saw a lot of improvements with this team..compared to last year..(especially guys like nash and z) they have made huge strides, hopefully they take this as a learning experiences and continue to grow next season.
You're seeing the same team most of us are. Don't forget Leclaire and Boll. Both of them have also been positives this year. Sometimes the positives don't get talked about as much because they aren't perceived as positions that need to be fixed. Bring us home a couple of wins.

Old
02-18-2008, 04:57 AM
213 Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfarschman View Post
You know what. I'm going to take complete responsibility for this game. I was having a great day today, I mean I was in a great mood, I was being weirdly nice to strangers and just everything was going right and I thought to myself "Man, if the jackets win tonight this will be one of the best days I've had in awhile."

Woe be unto the person whose complete day depends on the CBJ.

213 Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 06:57 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I have no idea what to expect.
Quote:
I am beyond befuddled - not being negative or positive, just being honest.
That's all.

Old
02-18-2008, 07:02 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Granny View Post
Well, I just got home and sat down and read the entire GDT. OMG. WHO are we anyway??? Now, it's my turn to bring out the bottle. Seriously, I believe we are finished, guys and gals. Done in by ourselves at long last. Maybe we all outta name our favorite drink after the CBJ. (If I were clever enough I'd submit some appropriate name for a drink here, but I'm either not, or just too bummed out right now). Itshay.
Hell, maybe that's what I'll call mine. The favorite drink of a true CBJ fan--- Itshay.
Stupid Jackets. Look what they've done to Granny!

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 08:59 AM
aRussian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 213 Sentinel View Post
Woe be unto the person whose complete day depends on the CBJ.
I know, three days of the week in jeopardy
An entire day can go down the hole because of this team

aRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Inquiring Minds

During the interview with John Davidson at intermission last night, I believe he said that this will be an exceptionally deep draft. Does that ring true to y'all? If so, why not dump the UFAs for picks and load up as best we can. It isn't always drafting for 3-4 years down the road. Occasionally you can hit the right guy that is an impact player very quickly.

Besides, we will be looking to replace the UFAs soon anyway.

It just doesn't seem like the CBJs have the heart to go deep in the playoffs this year.

I am sad.

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
Our team has to work so hard to score a lousy goal and we have to see that garbage go in against us. It's a shame.
Seriously. This game was awful in that regard. It was the quintessential Jackets game. Every missed assignment on the Jackets part led to a penalty. Every mistake ended up in the back of the net. Meanwhile, the other team coasts to victory. And Manny Legace beats us again. What's his lifetime record against the Jackets?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aRussian View Post
I hate hearing the puck slamming against the endboards after a shot from the point
Our aim just sucks
For real. We were terrible at that last night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
that is what I saw. How a player can get a breakaway on the PP is beyond me. That is a team effort.
I've never seen that before. A breakaway on the power play. Letting them score is one thing, this was something else entirely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Hitch putting Brule and Brassard out there a lot. Sending a message?
Brule was definitely one of our better forwards tonight.

And tonight was more evidence for me that Chimera should not ever play with Zherdev again. Ever. The disparate skill level is astonishing. I have nothing against Chimera, but Hitch might as well put ME out there with Zherdev. It would accomplish just as much.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 01:40 PM
countthecashricknash

I hope Fedorov can get moved soon. I get the feeling nobody will trade for Vyborny be cause he is pathetic. He gets the award for biggest disapointment on the team as well as biggest puzzy.

14-6-1 til playoffs

countthecashricknash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
We would have to package Vybes with Foote or Feds just to get him off the team.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Straight Jacket

This team has me so frustrated that I have turned very negative concerning them, when I am normally a very positive person. There were bright spots last night. We actually have improved quite a bit this year. We have shown the ability to play at a high level for extended periods. Our goaltending is normally stellar. Revamping this team to a large degree has me concerned to the amount of time it will take for a successful campaign. We are probably closer than it might seem to be awesome.

Straight Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Hockey Granny

Quote:
Stupid Jackets. Look what they've done to Granny!
Well, to be totally honest, I can't blame the CBJ for the bottle.. just for calling it "Itshay".

Hockey Granny is offline   Reply With Quote