HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jessiman (bear with me)

Old
02-17-2008, 10:31 AM
ish

vCash: 500
Jessiman (bear with me)

I know, a thoroughly discussed topic, but I feel compelled.

After years of intending to attend a Wolf Pack game, I finally did so last night. They beat Portland 6-3. Jessiman had a Gordie Howe hat trick halfway through the game. He finished with a goal, an assist, a fight and 17 penalty minutes. He got a 10 minute misconduct late in the game for throwing punches at Darryl Bootland while being held by a linesman. He talked trash with Eric Weinrich on the way off the ice and played to the crowd, waving to them when he stepped off. In his fight he got the guys jerseys stuck on his head and pounded him like three times before taking him down. He did a number on the guy. Starting with his first shift he was a physical force all night. A very animated game.

His stats to this point (12 goals, 26 points in 48 games), while better than the last two years, are hardly overwhelming. But, after seeing him twice in the preseason and last night, I see no reason he can't be a third or fourth liner. I don't see what Hollweg or Orr do that Hugh can't do right now. Neither of them can skate. Hollweg can't really fight. Both are good team guys, but so is Jessiman by all accounts.

He's never going to be John LeClair like we hoped he'd be and it's always going to be tough to be reminded that we could have had Parise or Getzlaf, among others, but I don't think he should be written off entirely. At this point, if he can manage any NHL career at all, I think we'd all take that after how his first two pro seasons went.

I see no reason why he can't be a Paul Gaustad type guy or a poor man's Scott Thornton.

ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 10:38 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

I can definitely see him taking Hollweg's spot in the lineup in the 2009-2010 season

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Chunklee*

"bear with me"

ok

Chunklee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 10:57 AM
ish

Animal faces never fail to amuse me.

Old
02-17-2008, 11:16 AM
hlundqvist30*

I still haven't given up on him yet. People act like he's done with. As if he is 28 years old and still hasn't been able to make the team. The guy is about to turn 24. Definitely not a huge time period to improve, but we have seen plenty of NHL players blossom at 25 & 26 years old. I still think he not only can become a 4th liner, but WILL. Like mentioned, he can do anything and everything Orr and Hollweg can do but is a better skater and actually is useful offensively. Just put the guy in front of the damn net. Could you imagine a powerplay with Jagr and Jessiman? Just put them both in the slot. Defenses would have serious issues.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

not trying to sound like a condescending jerk, but, have you guys seen Hollweg skate? Hes easily one of the top 3 skaters on the whole team, next to Straka, and MAYBE Avery.

Hollweg annoys me as much as the next guy, but comon, lets at least be fair, hes a fantastic skater. And Orr is probably a better skater than Jessiman by a fairly wide margin in that he stays upright. Yes, Jessiman is probably faster, but Orr doesnt topple over all the time, which Jessiman still does. Balance is just as important as speed.

With all that said, I think Hugh is definitely making this team in a years time. Hes improving every game, and thats what you want to see.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 11:46 AM
ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
not trying to sound like a condescending jerk, but, have you guys seen Hollweg skate? Hes easily one of the top 3 skaters on the whole team, next to Straka, and MAYBE Avery.

Hollweg annoys me as much as the next guy, but comon, lets at least be fair, hes a fantastic skater. And Orr is probably a better skater than Jessiman by a fairly wide margin in that he stays upright. Yes, Jessiman is probably faster, but Orr doesnt topple over all the time, which Jessiman still does. Balance is just as important as speed.

With all that said, I think Hugh is definitely making this team in a years time. Hes improving every game, and thats what you want to see.
With all due respect, I consider Hollweg an awful skater. He skates hard as hell. He needs to kill himself every shift just to barely keep up. He can't skate ten feet with the puck. He can skate fast in a straight line without the puck, that's about it. He doesn't have very much agility. Put him on a line with Straka and Avery and watch how lost he'd be.

Orr is also an awful skater. Yes, he's solid and stays on his skates but that doesn't make him a good skater, it just means he's strong. He needs 50 feet of ice to make a turn and I think my grandmother could beat him to a loose puck. I must say his skating is improved over last year but he's still so slow. Jessiman could skate circles around him.

Jessiman has more skill in his left foot than Orr and Hollweg do in their whole bodies.

And I'd say Gomez is the best skater on the team by far.

Old
02-17-2008, 11:51 AM
cmdevisser

Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
So here's the million dollar question, if Hugh Jessiman develops into a guy that is a good two way power forward/agitator 3rd line player that is good for 12-15 goals a year, but wreaks havoc down low and on the forecheck.... isn't that kind of player worthy of a 1st round pick? I can't help but think of a Kris Draper type with a little more skill and much more size.

cmdevisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ish View Post
With all due respect, I consider Hollweg an awful skater. He skates hard as hell. He needs to kill himself every shift just to barely keep up. He can't skate ten feet with the puck. He can skate fast in a straight line without the puck, that's about it. He doesn't have very much agility. Put him on a line with Straka and Avery and watch how lost he'd be.

Orr is also an awful skater. Yes, he's solid and stays on his skates but that doesn't make him a good skater, it just means he's strong. He needs 50 feet of ice to make a turn and I think my grandmother could beat him to a loose puck. I must say his skating is improved over last year but he's still so slow. Jessiman could skate circles around him.

Jessiman has more skill in his left foot than Orr and Hollweg do in their whole bodies.

guess im seeing something different out there. Hollweg, first of all, has no hands. i think thats clear. So when talking about his skating, im talking about just that, his skating. Not his stick handling ability, or whatever, but how fast the guy can skate. And he can skate with just about anyone on this team. He can skate and he can hit. Thats ALL he brings to the table, so yeah, i have no problem getting rid of the guy, but his skating is not the argument I would be using to try and get rid of him. Id bring up his penchant to take poorly timed penalties, or his inability to score at all.

But his skating? I have no problem at all with his skating.

Orr on the other hand was exactly the way you described him...2 years ago. Since then he has gotten significantly better in skating, dare i say, an average skater for an enforcer? Hes there to do 1 thing, pound the crap out of anyone who needs a pounding. He does his job (though not near enough for my liking, i want a face broken every game), and has shown a vast improvement in his speed.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 11:56 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdevisser View Post
So here's the million dollar question, if Hugh Jessiman develops into a guy that is a good two way power forward/agitator 3rd line player that is good for 12-15 goals a game, but wreaks havoc down low and on the forecheck.... isn't that kind of player worthy of a 1st round pick? I can't help but think of a Kris Draper type with a little more skill and much more size.
Would it be the worst pick in NHL history? No, not even close, but with the #12 pick I said to you that the Rangers could select the 3rd line gritty winger (Jessiman) or the 1st line power forward (Dustin Brown) or the 1st pairing all-star defenceman (Seabrook) or the 2nd line playmaking center (Parise) or Burns or Getzlaf or Richards etc. etc. etc. then you'll see why it wasn't worthy of that pick.

Old
02-17-2008, 11:58 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
I just want someone other than Hollweg on the team, Jessiman, Hossa, Moore, Korpedo.

Yeah Hollweg is fast and hits, but he's the most replaceable player on the team imo.

As for Orr I stared to like him the more I saw him, but he's only in there for one reason -- pound faces and he better do it on a regular basis.

Having Jessiman, Betts, Orr would be great though -- that's a big line with some semblance of scoring ability.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 12:17 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Would it be the worst pick in NHL history? No, not even close, but with the #12 pick I said to you that the Rangers could select the 3rd line gritty winger (Jessiman) or the 1st line power forward (Dustin Brown) or the 1st pairing all-star defenceman (Seabrook) or the 2nd line playmaking center (Parise) or Burns or Getzlaf or Richards etc. etc. etc. then you'll see why it wasn't worthy of that pick.
True, but how many #12 picks never even see the NHL? For every Marian Hossa there's a Teemu Riihijärvi. In any other draft year Jessiman wouldn't have been nearly as disappointing.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 12:43 PM
ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
guess im seeing something different out there. Hollweg, first of all, has no hands. i think thats clear. So when talking about his skating, im talking about just that, his skating. Not his stick handling ability, or whatever, but how fast the guy can skate. And he can skate with just about anyone on this team. He can skate and he can hit. Thats ALL he brings to the table, so yeah, i have no problem getting rid of the guy, but his skating is not the argument I would be using to try and get rid of him. Id bring up his penchant to take poorly timed penalties, or his inability to score at all.

But his skating? I have no problem at all with his skating.

Orr on the other hand was exactly the way you described him...2 years ago. Since then he has gotten significantly better in skating, dare i say, an average skater for an enforcer? Hes there to do 1 thing, pound the crap out of anyone who needs a pounding. He does his job (though not near enough for my liking, i want a face broken every game), and has shown a vast improvement in his speed.
I agree. Hollweg's problems are definitely his lack of discipline and/or inability to deliver clean hits and general lack of skill (no hands) more so than his skating.

Old
02-17-2008, 01:25 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I agree. Hollweg's problems are definitely his lack of discipline and/or inability to deliver clean hits and general lack of skill (no hands) more so than his skating.
Personally I don't really think he has a lack of discipline. He needs to play right at the line in order to be effective. When you play that kind of game you are going to find yourself on the wrong side of the line on occasion...and that's fine as long as it's not too often.

Old
02-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I've always said that Jessiman will be a 30-40 point man for the Rangers. If he keeps this current development cycle, I could see him being a good 3rd liner. I know that's not what he wanted when we drafted him, but better than washing out altogether.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 01:49 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I've always said that Jessiman will be a 30-40 point man for the Rangers. If he keeps this current development cycle, I could see him being a good 3rd liner. I know that's not what he wanted when we drafted him, but better than washing out altogether.
At this point I think most of us would be happy if he turned out to be a solid 3rd liner chipping in 15 goals and another 15-20 assists, especially if he can use his size.

Old
02-17-2008, 02:30 PM
ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Personally I don't really think he has a lack of discipline. He needs to play right at the line in order to be effective. When you play that kind of game you are going to find yourself on the wrong side of the line on occasion...and that's fine as long as it's not too often.
I agree. He does need to straddle that line to have a job. It's his meal ticket. All he can offer you is some physical play but he's just not good at it. He goes over the line way too much.

Old
02-17-2008, 03:29 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
His stats to this point (12 goals, 26 points in 48 games), while better than the last two years, are hardly overwhelming. But, after seeing him twice in the preseason and last night, I see no reason he can't be a third or fourth liner. I don't see what Hollweg or Orr do that Hugh can't do right now. Neither of them can skate. Hollweg can't really fight. Both are good team guys, but so is Jessiman by all accounts.
Jessiman will never break faces like Orr can
Jessiman will never dance like Hollweg can

Last edited by n8: 02-17-2008 at 03:45 PM.
n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 07:22 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

I am all aboard the Dawes train on this one. In my mind I have rearranged the 03 draft and made Dawes the 1st round pick and Jessiman the 5th round pick.

02-17-2008, 07:25 PM
SPG

I believe Hugh is a free agent after this year, correct? We'll see what happens with his contract...

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 07:36 PM
mikesect424

All I take from this thread is= Eric Weinrich is still playing hockey???????????

mikesect424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 07:40 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
I believe Hugh is a free agent after this year, correct? We'll see what happens with his contract...
RFA. We'll most likely re-up him but not at rookie cap this time. It will be a two way contract probably in the 500k-650k range. That will also give the Rangers more cap flexibility in calling him up whereas his current cap hit would be $1M

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 07:49 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
I am all aboard the Dawes train on this one. In my mind I have rearranged the 03 draft and made Dawes the 1st round pick and Jessiman the 5th round pick.
Are you switching Dubinsky and Montoya from the 2004 draft, too?

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 07:52 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Are you switching Dubinsky and Montoya from the 2004 draft, too?
And Filip Novak and Henrik Lundqvist in the 2000 draft

Old
02-17-2008, 07:56 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
And Filip Novak and Henrik Lundqvist in the 2000 draft

We can play this all day - Prucha swapped with Falardeau in 2002...

jas is online now   Reply With Quote