HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Klein to experiment as a forward???

Old
01-30-2008, 12:55 AM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Klein to experiment as a forward???

Quote:
Klein moving up? The Predators are experimenting with the possibility of using defenseman Kevin Klein at forward.

Klein has played effectively for the Predators when in the lineup this season, but because of the logjam of defensemen on the team, he’s only seen action in 11 games.

Using him at forward could give him a better chance to get in the lineup.

“We feel that Kevin skates so well that it might allow him to get in the lineup on a more consistent basis,’’ Trotz said. “I also think it will make him a better player because he’ll understand the whole process (of the game) a little better. He can kill penalties both on the defensive side of things and as a forward.’’

The Predators have had Klein spend half his time at forward and half on defense during a few recent practices.

“We’re more confident that’s the way we’re going to go with it,’’ Trotz said. “He might be a real good asset for us late in the game. He can hold the blueline quite well and he’s strong as an ox, so potentially there could be some real good benefits. He can get in on the forecheck, and he has enough skills offensively to do well.’’
http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...87/1002/SPORTS

Thoughts? Personally, I think it might not be a bad idea if he gets into the lineup and learns how to play as a forward. Klein is probably one of the best skaters on the team and is strong on the puck and should be defensively responsible. Maybe he could work out on the third line, maybe he might even get a sniff as a big body with the Legwand-Erat combo when David returns?

Discuss...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:58 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Sounds like a decent idea. He does move the puck well. Really I just like any idea of actually putting him in a game.

But after the last 2 games there are a few dmen I would consider sitting and letting Klein play for.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 04:35 AM
Noldo

I think that Minnesota has used Petteri Nummelin (another well skating defenceman, although a small one) as forward with at least average success, so I see no reason why this would not work.

Interesting that the report would more likely indicate that they do not want to convert Klein to forward, but instead just give him icetime through experiment.

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:10 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i juste hope enough time is given to the experiment to actually see if it works. When we tried Zidlicky at forward, the idea was scrapped after the first bad shift.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:43 AM
RollingPredFan

Yeah its a shame he's a healthy scratch all the time when he played pretty well when he did get his chance... its worth a shot.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:03 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Sounds maybe like Poile told Trotz there was no immediate plan to make any trades to acquire another forward and that we'd have to make do...

But the I also thought: Klein = this generations Scott Walker?

quartermaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Jarnberg

Why trade for a top 6 forward when you can do this....

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:10 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Stamkos.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Fraserburn

Send a message via MSN to Fraserburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermaster29 View Post
Sounds maybe like Poile told Trotz there was no immediate plan to make any trades to acquire another forward and that we'd have to make do...

But the I also thought: Klein = this generations Scott Walker?
Klein = this generations Wendel Clark ???

Fraserburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Things like this make me want a new general manager.

01-30-2008, 04:50 PM
braindead

Thoughts:

I would expect no noticeable drop off compared to Smithson, Fiddler, Ortmeyer, Nicholls (except the 3 game stretch of scoring), Hordichuk (am I missing anyone? Gelinas, Tootoo perhaps).

Why not try Zids at forward again? Has he really locked in a spot with his defensive prowess that makes him unavailable to join the rush?

I'm in agreement with Poile's general theory to not trade assets right now. Do we really want to give away Klein, Franson and a 1st to potentially miss out on the playoffs or have Mason let in 4 a game during the first round? This team has a shot at the playoffs but I don't think there is or will be an affordable, available top 6 forward that is going to make any real impact on whether we make it..... and a super-priced top 6 won't guarantee that we make it. At the same time, we have a shot so we shouldn't be sellers. Thus, I think we are stuck to ride it out and hope for the best this year.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 05:47 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Actually I can see Klein doing this, he's a great skater and handles the puck well.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 06:18 PM
jstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Thoughts:

I would expect no noticeable drop off compared to Smithson, Fiddler, Ortmeyer, Nicholls (except the 3 game stretch of scoring), Hordichuk (am I missing anyone? Gelinas, Tootoo perhaps).

Why not try Zids at forward again? Has he really locked in a spot with his defensive prowess that makes him unavailable to join the rush?

I'm in agreement with Poile's general theory to not trade assets right now. Do we really want to give away Klein, Franson and a 1st to potentially miss out on the playoffs or have Mason let in 4 a game during the first round? This team has a shot at the playoffs but I don't think there is or will be an affordable, available top 6 forward that is going to make any real impact on whether we make it..... and a super-priced top 6 won't guarantee that we make it. At the same time, we have a shot so we shouldn't be sellers. Thus, I think we are stuck to ride it out and hope for the best this year.

I tend to agree, we all know that we might squeak into the playoffs only o crap out in 4 games straight. I think we are just all getting irritated at the position we are in and we need a meaningless gesture to right our psychological ship, you know - sort of like a hockey stimulus package.

Old
01-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Thoughts:

The one comment I will make is this:

Why do we have to make moves for rentals. How about using our young defensive talent to acquire the young offensive forward we desperately need? Our situation only compounds each year. Poile has dug a hole, and he is sitting in it. The longer he waits, the deeper that hole gets. Franson, Sulzer, Laakso, Blum, and others are all decent to great defensive prospects....with a log jam of 8 solid NHL blueliners already, one has to wonder why Poile sits in his hole and refuses to use the ladder right beside him to get out. I know that is a silly analogy, but I honestly feel that there are several deals out there that could be made which would benefit this team not just now, but also in the future, without sacrificing any true hit to our on ice team or defensive depth.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

Why do we have to make moves for rentals. How about using our young defensive talent to acquire the young offensive forward we desperately need? Our situation only compounds each year. Poile has dug a hole, and he is sitting in it. The longer he waits, the deeper that hole gets. Franson, Sulzer, Laakso, Blum, and others are all decent to great defensive prospects....with a log jam of 8 solid NHL blueliners already, one has to wonder why Poile sits in his hole and refuses to use the ladder right beside him to get out. I know that is a silly analogy, but I honestly feel that there are several deals out there that could be made which would benefit this team not just now, but also in the future, without sacrificing any true hit to our on ice team or defensive depth.

If we use our 2 1st round on Defensmen this year (which we will), then
in five years we could be the only team in the NHL skating 15 Defensmen which would fit right into Trotz's system.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:52 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

I don't disagree with you or your analogy a bit. The only thing I wonder is if he really is trying(or has been) to do this and there just aren't any takers right now. Maybe everyone is just holding on waiting for the deadline to be able to break the bank????

It seems like, from the rumors, that Poile has been trying to feel things out but with this news I would think that he hasn't found anything worth doing....Maybe...I don't know...he could just be sitting on the d-men???

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

In regards to making trades, I just do not think this is an area Poile has ever been particularly good at. He builds teams through development and through calculated FA signings. I'm just not confident that he does what it takes to find the right fit.

Looking around the league, I have a hard time believing that there isn't a market for young, cheap, and talented defenseman (Klein, Suter, Zanon, possibly Koistenen).

Old
01-30-2008, 08:43 PM
braindead

Ok, I agree with most of that but I would go back to the "available" part. I think in the offseason you can potentially get a deal like that done but I'm not confident it can be done prior to the trade deadline. Will Umberger or Cole or someone like that be available at some point. Perhaps. But will a team trade that now for some package built around our D? It doesn't seem like it right now. Our best bet on this front would be for a guy in the ahl on a deep offensive team that is ready to go into someone's lineup.

Old
02-03-2008, 07:26 PM
jstreet

Eklund is reporting that the Preds are talking to the Habs about Klein

Old
02-03-2008, 10:11 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
nomorekids reports that they're probably not.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 12:57 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
Ryder?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 11:36 AM
jstreet

who knows, the comment disappeared ad suddenly as it showed up.

he may just be speculating as it is obvious that Klein is the man that cant break the Nashville bubble.

Old
02-15-2008, 08:20 AM
RollingPredFan

Read this in the Tennessean:

Quote:
Klein reassigned: Kevin Klein was sent to Milwaukee on Thursday for a conditioning stint with the Predators American Hockey League affiliate and is expected to remain there through the weekend.

The defenseman participated in the Predators morning skate and then got on a plane. The Admirals play three games in four nights and Trotz felt like it would be a good opportunity for Klein to get some playing time.

"You don't know what could happen with the trade deadlines or injuries so we want to keep him fresh," Trotz said. "I think he's looking for a little bit of change, too, other than just skating and practice."

Klein has played in only 11 games for the Predators this season, struggling to crack the lineup with eight blueliners on the roster. Weeks ago he began practicing some at the forward position with the idea that added versatility might help him get more playing time.

This is Klein's second conditioning trip this season. In mid-November he played a six-game stint with the Admirals. He does not need to clear waivers to go to the AHL for a conditioning assignment and is expected to rejoin the Predators sometime on Monday.
Also saw on the other board that Klein played at right wing some last night as well, according a Ad fan.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I don't think there has ever been a more clear sign of Poile's complacency and laid back style.....

Old
02-15-2008, 09:14 AM
braindead

Really? I took it as a sign that they are continuing to look at doing something. I think there are a few possible deals and we are just stuck waiting to see which direction some teams go.