HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Doig

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2004, 04:15 AM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Doig

I didn't see the hit on Lindros last night (from what I hear it was clean), but he laid a knee on knee hit on Kevyn Adams (vs the Hurricanes) that was clearly intentional. Then he wouldn’t drop the gloves against Boulrice. He did go at it with Eric Cole twice, but that was more wrestiling than fighting. Doig is a grade “A” punk.

Old
01-30-2004, 04:16 AM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
The hit on Lindros was clean.

Old
01-30-2004, 04:37 AM
Patty Roy

I always thought that Doig was kind of a punk, but the hit on Lindros was certainly clean.

That said, my guess is that Chris Simon will be hunting him down next time the Rangers play the Caps...wonder if Doig will answer the call?

Old
01-30-2004, 04:40 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. X
I didn't see the hit on Lindros last night (from what I hear it was clean), but he laid a knee on knee hit on Kevyn Adams (vs the Hurricanes) that was clearly intentional. Then he wouldn’t drop the gloves against Boulrice. He did go at it with Eric Cole twice, but that was more wrestiling than fighting. Doig is a grade “A” punk.
I didnt see the clip but Doig is suppost to be a fairly tough guy he should have dropped em with Boulerice. The Instigator rule causes this if you take that out Boulerice could have made him pay one way or the other.

Old
01-30-2004, 01:50 PM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
I didnt see the clip but Doig is suppost to be a fairly tough guy he should have dropped em with Boulerice. The Instigator rule causes this if you take that out Boulerice could have made him pay one way or the other.

Now Adams might be out for the year. If Doig isn’t suspended, I will loose a lot of faith in the league officials. I can’t wait until the Crapitals come back into Raleigh and Boulerice goes head hunting.

http://www.newsobserver.com/hurrican...-2935795c.html

Old
01-30-2004, 01:57 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Simon said something about pay back on Sportscentre when he was interviewed about the Lindros Hit

Old
01-30-2004, 02:19 PM
TexSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy
Simon said something about pay back on Sportscentre when he was interviewed about the Lindros Hit
Which would be the most ridiculous statement to come out of that organization.

Since when did a clean hit = retribution from the other team. It's hockey, not the mafia.

Old
01-30-2004, 02:27 PM
ihatenewjersey

Quote:

the hit was clean no doubt about that, but i think there will be trouble,
simon has already gone public, about getting doig back

Old
01-30-2004, 02:30 PM
ihatenewjersey

The Rangers have grimly acknowledged that Doig's check was a clean one. Yet even in conceding that, Chris Simon served notice that Doig should expect a response over the course of the remaining three games between the teams.

"I could say we're not going to do anything, but that would be a lie," Simon said yesterday. "I don't know if [Doig] was trying to hurt Eric, but that's what happened, and I don't think we have to accept it and just let it go."

if you look in a few threads you may be able to find a video of the hit

Old
01-30-2004, 02:55 PM
txpd

Quote:
last year doig dropped lindros with a legal hit and 3 rangers jumped him. all 3 got penalties. the caps scored 3 ppgs. the rangers lost their cool...by the end the caps had 5 ppg's and won 7-2.

if the rangers come looking for more of that, it may turn out like that again.

Old
01-30-2004, 03:01 PM
PSUhockey34

Uh oh doig better watch out next he plays the rangers...give me a break when was the last time simon actually fought somebody...not sticking up for doig but simon isnt 1/10th the physical presence he once was

Old
01-30-2004, 03:34 PM
BLACKBURN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3owner
Uh oh doig better watch out next he plays the rangers...give me a break when was the last time simon actually fought somebody...not sticking up for doig but simon isnt 1/10th the physical presence he once was

Hes had 10 fights this season and has not lost one. He last fought somebody 1/19/2004 which was what 11 days ago? He has shoulder problems bu now that they are fixed he is once again an intimidating physical presence. Dont start bashing a guy if you havent even seem him play this year. Also why shouldnt he beat up Doig. He took a run at one of our star players, its his role to stop that kind of ***** from happening! It was a close game in which we couldnt afford the penaltys but watch out for the next game in which if the score goes one way or the other, it could get physical.

Old
01-30-2004, 06:52 PM
Plan 9

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=70264&hubName=nhl

Yeah.. Suspended for only two games.

Adams is expected to be out for six to eight weeks.

Old
01-30-2004, 06:56 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Boulerice did everything within his ability to get Jason Doig to drop them. Boulerice finished his checks extra hard, especially on Doig, and usually went out of his way to nail somebody when Doig was on the ice. It was probably just as bad as Peter Worrell turtling to Jesse last season when he had his fist raised over him. That was just after he injured Marty Gelinas a few games back. But Doig, however, refused to even drop them and went after Erik Cole who hasn't ever done much fighting before last night I don't think. It was just ridiculous. A blinding display of cowardice.

Old
01-30-2004, 06:57 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Honestly, I didn't watch the play that carefully but I thought Adams tried a cut to the middle and Doig simply collided knee-on-knee with him by continuing to skate the same line he was taking before Adams made a move to avoid him.

Old
01-30-2004, 07:09 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
Honestly, I didn't watch the play that carefully but I thought Adams tried a cut to the middle and Doig simply collided knee-on-knee with him by continuing to skate the same line he was taking before Adams made a move to avoid him.
These mistakes are made all the time, but you have to take into account the actions of Doig after the actual play was over in order to make your assesment on if it was intentional or not. After the collison, Doig took an aggresive run at Erik Cole and punched him in the face before he even had time to react to what he had just seen. usually, when a player knee on knee hits another player they show a little bit of concern for the player they put down. I'm not saying they get emotional and gushy and try to pick the guy up, but they usually skate around the general vicinity and at least play concerned. Doig just skated away and punched another teammate in the mouth. Players are the best at judging if a hit was intentional, and itseems that every Hurricane player took offense to this one. As did the league, who suspended him when he didn't even get ejected from the game. I'm just glad it's 2 games instead of 4 so he's able to come back and play in Carolina and hopefully get what he deserves. I have a feeling that he might come up lame with a groin strain or a calf tweak on the night of that game though, or beg to be a healthy scratch.

The hit on Lindros though probably angered the Rangers the most because there are unwritten rules on how hard you hit players that have status like Eric Lindros does unless you have simliar status yourself. The only player i've seen be able to get away with hitting Francis without the fans getting up in arms is Mario Lemiuex. Stevens does it, but the fans still hate it. For a guy like Jason Doig, who has never been able to produce on any level, to take a run at an Eric Lindros is going against the unwritten rules of hockey checking and senority. If this had been Scott Stevens again, we're likely to not have heard anything about it anymore after the intial shock of it. It's Doig's no-name status and his actions that have most Ranger players up in arms i'm willing to bet.

Old
01-30-2004, 07:10 PM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon

I was only about twenty feet away from the hit and Doig was going to hit Adams, but he moved and Doig stuck his leg out and clipped him. It was a cheap shot.

Old
01-30-2004, 07:59 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

now if this hit angers you, and the lack of punishment form the league angers you, then you might understand a little of what the kings have been going though for the past 2 years...allison, gleason, eloranta, straka and avery has all been taken out just by the knee on knee hits....the most that has ever come out of that was i oprik got 1 game...the sutton hit on allison was viscious and he didnt even get a penalty called against him...it was rediculous...he only got a roughing call becasue our guys went after him and he fought back...

the league has to do something to protect its players...either drop the instigator rule or hand out stiffer penalties to offenders...tell me do u think doig would have made that hit if he knew that that one hit would cost him $100,000...i dont think so either...

the scrubs of the league that are doing these stupid things to injure people would be a lot more careful with sticking out their legs or checking someone from behind

Old
01-30-2004, 08:38 PM
aonez

Doig is a pure jerk. Someone should knock him down good. I wish Lindros get hits revench and knocks Doig so hard he wont know what´s what. :mad:

Old
01-30-2004, 10:33 PM
TheCarneth

Send a message via AIM to TheCarneth
Glad to see he was suspended today. In a game against the Panthers last week, he was the constantly taking cheap shots and was awarded (count em) 5 minor penalties. He is a garbage player, and doesn't belong in the league.

Last edited by TheCarneth: 01-30-2004 at 10:39 PM.
Old
01-31-2004, 12:52 AM
Jacob

Knee injuries, IMO, are a bigger problem than concussions. Guys like Doig and Gauthier (and Orpik) have absolutely no reason NOT to stick out a leg if a guy gets passed them.

Doig should be suspended for however long Adams is injured.

Quote:
These plays happen a lot. I don't think anybody can really say Doig was interested in ending Adams' season, because nobody is that callous. But he made no attempt to NOT injure him, and that's the problem.

Closed Thread