HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Although We Have Given Up Hope...

Old
02-19-2008, 07:34 AM
blahblah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugg View Post
You know, I keep hearing 92-94 points...so when are these other teams going to flip a switch and stop playing the same mediocre hockey we are?
Calgary, Vancouver, Colorado, Pheonix, St. Louis - the list of mediocrity goes on.

Dallas, Minnesota, Ducks, and the Preds are the only teams playing well right now. The rest are playing around .500 hockey, or less, in their last 10 to 20 games. Which makes this losing streak all the more annoying. This was our chance to gain ground and it's not why we haven't been completely buried. The Preds took advantage and blew by everyone.

I haven't given up hope, however I don't know it's going to take for these guys to play consistant. Time to see what the week brings.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 07:51 AM
LaCosta Nostra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugg View Post
You know, I keep hearing 92-94 points...so when are these other teams going to flip a switch and stop playing the same mediocre hockey we are?
Parity has been taken to new heights this year. As of yesterday, I believe there were only 4 losing records in the whole league. Unbelieveable!!!!!!!!

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 08:05 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Truth of the matter is, we are mathmatically still in this thing, if only because of PARITY and the misfortune of others.

But even IF we sneak in, it will:

a) Likely be the result of some other team tanking, and not because we played well when we needed to. Unsatisfying to say the least.
and...
b) Give us little consolation for the load of crap games we've watched this team play this year.
and...
c) In no way be an indication that we are truly playoff ready.
And yet, I would still be delighted!

Quote:
Hitch predicted this thing will go down to the last week.
I hope he's right. I'm moving, and this will be my last season for the foreseeable future that I can be here in person for an entire playoff run.

Let's Go Jackets!

Win one for the JFer!!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Grouchy

Send a message via Yahoo to Grouchy
I'm surprised that I haven't given up hope yet. I'm usually quite pessimistic.

To make the playoffs as of today, we need to have two more wins than four of the five teams directly above us while doing as good as or better than the teams below us.

There are 21 games left in our season and our opponents above us have 22 to 25 more games.

I can be done.

Likely? At this point it's definitely in question.

But for crying out loud what do you expect the players to say? "Well uh, we're just going to blow it with our inconsistent play, lack of hitting, lack of goal production, lack of effort at times; so y'know why bother eh'? We don't have the skills. Our kids aren't stepping up. The veterans aren't producing. They are trading away our emotional guys. F'it. Why even try. Most are just looking for a lucrative contract somewhere else or to be sent back to Syracuse just to get out of here. And man, if I hear that cannon one more time; that's another reason just to pack it in now and never even think about making the playoffs - so we don't have to hear the cannon and the fans happy for those two games until we are swept."

???

Grouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 08:45 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

I agree...what do we expect them to say?

On the other hand, how cool is it that Michael Peca has been standing up for this team. More good quotes from him in today's Dispatch (2.19.08).

He said nobody wanted to see Shelley traded, and nobody wants to see anyone else traded. The guys want to stick together.
He didn't have to say all that. He could have just spouted some banal boilerplate, "we're still in this."

Finally I think we're HEARING what Hitch has been saying...that Peca's a leader. Makes you wonder more about the prospect of him being re-signed. This is the kind of character guy I like to have on our team.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote