HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

courage under fire

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2004, 04:42 AM
Fists of Fuhry

vCash: 500
courage under fire

After watching TSN report today about MacT coming under fire, his loyalty is rewarded tonight by the players he has favored. Horcoff, Moreau, Laraque, Pisani, Smyth and Salo all rode to the coach's rescue... Although this is a game that the Oil should've won tonight, I think its obvious that some players are feeling more obliged/pressured than others... what do you guys think? Does this set a fire under the team knowing that the Coach is now under media attack?

Old
01-30-2004, 06:25 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists of Fuhry
After watching TSN report today about MacT coming under fire, his loyalty is rewarded tonight by the players he has favored. Horcoff, Moreau, Laraque, Pisani, Smyth and Salo all rode to the coach's rescue... Although this is a game that the Oil should've won tonight, I think its obvious that some players are feeling more obliged/pressured than others... what do you guys think? Does this set a fire under the team knowing that the Coach is now under media attack?
I think it's sad that there is a list of players that MacT "has favored" for starters, and I'm not doubting your statement one little bit.

Rode to his rescue?

I don't know about that. We beat a team that is in the Ovechkin derby bigtime, when those guys win they have a bag skate the next 5 days straight.

Personally I don't think that these guys are doing jack for Mac, they should have had more than enough reasons to play hard over the past 50 games. If it takes a couple of mild media flamings of the coach to get these guys fired up they should all be traded.

Old
01-30-2004, 08:39 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I think we are all forgetting the Oilers style. We're always a team that waits until the last minute to make one last gasp for the playoffs. Now it's worked for quite a few years except for the year before last. This year appears like it could be twice in three years - but let's not get excited.

I do agree, however, that MacT DOES have favorites, and that it is brutal that he does.

Old
01-30-2004, 04:04 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists of Fuhry
Sorry if I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but I totally missed this and can't find a reference to it anywhere other than a quick blurb in the paper about MacT having a short fuse with reporters during yesterday's morning skate...what happened?

Old
01-30-2004, 04:13 PM
scottish_eagles_fan

You can watch it at www.tsn.ca/audio_video (you'll need to register) The clip is called "Changes Coming?"

Old
01-30-2004, 04:29 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish_eagles_fan
You can watch it at www.tsn.ca/audio_video (you'll need to register) The clip is called "Changes Coming?"
I guess it really is true...

If it ain't Scottish, it's CRAP!!

Thank you sir...

Old
01-30-2004, 04:52 PM
Digger12

Just finished watching it...interesting.

Two things that struck me:

1) MacT is feeling the heat, and not just from grumpy fans calling Hall or Stauffer. You don't suppose some of those owners are giving MacT a blast directly vs. going through the chain of command? With that many guys, hard to believe at least one of them hasn't had the notion of picking up the phone just to vent as they watch the playoffs revenue they'd banked on become more fantasy than reality with each loss.

2) Lowe didn't exactly come rushing to MacT's aid, did he? Maybe it was just the way the clip was presented and perhaps some things were edited out, but it makes you wonder if Lowe and MacT don't see eye to eye on a handful of issues (thinking of Rita here as an example, seems to me Lowe's always been higher on him than MacT is...I'd bet that if the roles were reversed and MacT were the GM, Rita would've been traded long ago).

One thing's for sure...things are definitely testy in Oiler Nation.

Old
01-30-2004, 06:08 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Just finished watching it...interesting.

Two things that struck me:

1) MacT is feeling the heat, and not just from grumpy fans calling Hall or Stauffer. You don't suppose some of those owners are giving MacT a blast directly vs. going through the chain of command? With that many guys, hard to believe at least one of them hasn't had the notion of picking up the phone just to vent as they watch the playoffs revenue they'd banked on become more fantasy than reality with each loss.

2) Lowe didn't exactly come rushing to MacT's aid, did he? Maybe it was just the way the clip was presented and perhaps some things were edited out, but it makes you wonder if Lowe and MacT don't see eye to eye on a handful of issues (thinking of Rita here as an example, seems to me Lowe's always been higher on him than MacT is...I'd bet that if the roles were reversed and MacT were the GM, Rita would've been traded long ago).

One thing's for sure...things are definitely testy in Oiler Nation.
Maybe everyone is sick of losing?

Old
01-30-2004, 10:11 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Maybe everyone is sick of losing?
Maybe that is long overdue.

Old
01-31-2004, 05:03 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
Maybe that is long overdue.
I don't think Lowe or MacT have *ever* liked losing. I doubt most of the players ever did either. The disagreement is over what the best thing to do to make it stop could be.

Old
01-31-2004, 07:49 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
I don't think Lowe or MacT have *ever* liked losing. I doubt most of the players ever did either. The disagreement is over what the best thing to do to make it stop could be.
And I was pointing out that showing the fans on the ice that they are tired of losing would have been nice in the last 20 games or so. It isn't that they are losing but that they look like they don't care that is annoying. You can't score every game and sometimes the legs aren't always there but you can always hit and finish checks. You see a lot of that the last 20 games? Because where I sit in the stands they haven't been showing any of that. And I don't want to watch 'Sutter' hockey for the rest of my life but when things are going badly you have to make up with effort what isn't happening from skill or talent. And I don't see that from a lot of the players as well. Some yes, others just in the third period when it is too late to get the win.

Old
01-31-2004, 08:10 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I think, as with any young team, it's all a matter of consistency. We HAVE to expect them to go through strugles - and that doesn't mean where they do EVERYTHING right but just don't win - that means where they don't play like they should and DON'T do everything right.

Old
01-31-2004, 08:21 PM
theoil

I see there is another thread that just started this morning quoting a Brownlee article. That is what I am talking about that I haven't seen from this team so far this year. Getting mad and learning how to hold that intensity. I don't think you can hold that for 82 games but I do think that you have to learn how to start the game feeling like that and hold that feeling until the game is won. Sometimes that has to come from losing so bloody much that you have just had enough. That seems to be the Oilers' history the last number of seasons and I am wondering when they are going to show up in October already feeling like that. Mad as hell and not going to take it anymore. I think that when that day comes we start to say that they have matured as a team. Until then it is up to MacTavish to poke and pat them to get them there. That is the part I haven't seen from MacTavish so far this season. Not enough poking and not enough patting.

Those of you who have raised teenagers, I am sure, know what I am talking about.

Old
02-01-2004, 02:18 AM
Matts

Every coach has their favs

we wound up with Smith for next to nothing because Mike Murphy didn't like Gator. The Sabres wound up with a 30 and sometimes 40 goal man from the Oilers for Barrie Moore and a salmon fishery worker.

The problem with MacT isn't alltogether the fave system as the Oilers are one of the league's best at ES. It's the way him or Simpson or someone runs the PP.

Plus as much as I dislike MacT it's hard to win with crapola like Salo manning the pipes.

Closed Thread