HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Who was that gritty team tonight?

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2004, 03:58 AM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Who was that gritty team tonight?

I don't think Chicago will be one of the many teams that have talked about how nice it is too play the Oilers.

Led by Jason Smith and Igor Ulanov the Oilers were hitting every white sweater that moved tonight and knocking them off the puck.

Is that the best game we have seen Horcoff play? I also thought Bishai had a good game for his NHL debut. He seems to always go to the net and has the speed to get on opposing forwards. Honourable mention to Tommy Salo who made some incredible saves to keep this team in the game in the first period.

Win or lose the rest of the season this is the kind of gritty, hard-working, lunchbox effort I want to see every night.

Old
01-30-2004, 04:16 AM
Teemu

yippee. you beat a lottery team :p

add another game to the all-time blackhawks road losing streak record

Old
01-30-2004, 04:19 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu08
yippee. you beat a lottery team :p
Wins are rare, let us enjoy this one. Now tht Smith is back, we have an incredibly large and gritty defense. It'll be interesting to see where that D takes us.

Last edited by The Rage: 01-30-2004 at 04:52 AM.
Old
01-30-2004, 04:19 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Yeah, they played with grit and intensity tonight. It was an ugly win, but I'll take the two points.
They can't keep playing like this every night though. Pretty soon they'll be way too tired out. They still need to find some sort of chemistry out there.

Old
01-30-2004, 04:31 AM
Teemu

i was kinda hoping some big fight would come out of all the other fights, like a Laraque-VandenBussche. that woulda been a good one.

Old
01-30-2004, 04:34 AM
Digger12

You know what sucks?

I'm trying REALLY hard to get excited about a 5-2 win, and I just can't. Not against Chicago, not when it was that sloppy and in doubt so late into the contest.

No offense to Teemu08, but that is a TERRIBLE team we just played, and the Oilers were losing to them up until a flukey goal by Horcoff (give him credit though, he had tons of jump tonight and was one of the few guys to grab my attention and played like he was sick of losing). It was Muckers on Ice, and many of the skill guys were nowhere to be seen.

I'll be glad for the two points, but there's no way we'll be at .500 by the break unless our skill guys start showing some skill. The next 3 games will be against somewhat tougher opposition methinks.

At least Salo played well tonight, other than the one through the 5 hole in the 3rd. Not sure what happened on that one.

Old
01-30-2004, 05:32 AM
oilforme

undefined
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
You know what sucks?

I'm trying REALLY hard to get excited about a 5-2 win, and I just can't. Not against Chicago, not when it was that sloppy and in doubt so late into the contest.

No offense to Teemu08, but that is a TERRIBLE team we just played, and the Oilers were losing to them up until a flukey goal by Horcoff (give him credit though, he had tons of jump tonight and was one of the few guys to grab my attention and played like he was sick of losing). It was Muckers on Ice, and many of the skill guys were nowhere to be seen.

I'll be glad for the two points, but there's no way we'll be at .500 by the break unless our skill guys start showing some skill. The next 3 games will be against somewhat tougher opposition methinks.

At least Salo played well tonight, other than the one through the 5 hole in the 3rd. Not sure what happened on that one.
Which tougher opposition? LA with 27 million worth of players on IR or Anaheim whose been almost as bad as Chicago without the excuse of major injuries that the Hawks have. Even St Louis has been bad the last 10 games.

This is the best chance the Oil have for putting together a run of wins that they will have for the rest of the year. They'd better do it now.

I was at the game tonight as well and thought we were lucky tonight. This time it was the Hawks who deserved better but a team that has been winless in 19 straight road games was just what the Oil needed. Any other team and we lose.

Last edited by oilforme: 01-30-2004 at 05:39 AM.
Old
01-30-2004, 06:03 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
and the Oilers were losing to them up until a flukey goal by Horcoff
Did you not see the Hawks goal? It was as bad as the Oilers first goal! If fluke has anything to do with it then your point is flawd.

Old
01-30-2004, 06:11 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Did you not see the Hawks goal? It was as bad as the Oilers first goal! If fluke has anything to do with it then your point is flawd.
Actually, to be honest I didn't see the Hawks' first goal...I missed the entire first period because I had to take my kids to Taekwondo lessons.

I guess both flukes can even out, but there's still no excuse for the Oilers to not bury a team like this in the first period, not with so much at stake right now...Salo had to stand on his head to keep it at 1-0 too by all accounts.

Old
01-30-2004, 06:27 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Yes, I agree with you on all accounts there. And, yes, that is the best goaltending performance I've seen while at an Oiler game since Joseph in the playoffs against the Avs when we upset them.

Old
01-30-2004, 08:32 PM
hockeyaddict101

Its a win

This team needs them whether they be against Chicago or Toronto. Considering how totally ungritty they have been it was a good sign.

I don't think in any way I was suggesting that I am ready to to and buy playoff tickets but the gritty effort was nice to see. Man it is pretty bad when you can't say anything positive without some fan saying you are getting too excited. It was one win but I saw something I haven't seen all season and it was nice too see.

This team has been so soft the whole year that a gritty effort was nice to see despite the opposition and if they had played gritty like this earlier in the season I don't think we have only 49 points and this point of the season.

Old
01-30-2004, 09:00 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
They can't keep playing like this every night though. Pretty soon they'll be way too tired out. .

You mean like with a Sutter coached team?? That is what happens to their teams isn't it?

Closed Thread