HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery Off the Ice

Old
02-19-2008, 02:02 AM
HockeyBurd*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
Actually I meant see that thread for his asking price and the giant risk he is.
No risk, no reward. The good thing about him is that he isn't a nuclear bomb. When he explodes, the damage isn't irreparable. He's very tradeable. Guys like him that tend to overstay their welcome are always very tradeable because there are always teams looking for a spark... just like the Rangers were when Avery came along to give it to them.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 04:30 AM
SML

See, I got a thing against autographs and people who seek them. You want a picture with the guy, great, because it's you and it's your memory and you will probably keep it. Some assclown who's going to gather up his nices and nephews to use as bait so he can get a bunch of pucks signed because the guy feels bad turning down a little kid, so he can turn a profit later, I say screw him. I remember being at the draft in Buffalo, and there were autohounds literally walking up to the kids eligible for the draft and saying, "WHO ARE YOU???" And if they didn't have the card, they'd say "I never heard of you..." and walk away. Way to treat a 17 year old kid on the most nervewracking day of his life. I never got it before that, why athletes would charge for autographs, but I did after. The card/collectible dorks have ruined it for the rest of us. Why should they give something away that they will see on ebay 2 days later? Get over it. It's a thing of the past.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 05:18 AM
mikesect424

We saw him in Manhattan after a win over Toronto. I went to give him an exaggerated high five, and he jabbed me in the ribs with a playful left. I went down to the ground and feined an injury, then we both laughed, and he ditched us as fast as he could. Seemed like a decent enough guy, had a couple security types around him which seemed a little odd.

mikesect424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 06:04 AM
jmb9191

Like I said, I love the way he plays on the ice, I love how he represents the Rangers, I love how he calls David Clarkson a minor leaguer during intermission interviews...

I just didn't like the way he treated a few fans the other night.

And by the way....the Dubinsky autograph is a puck. One side is Dubinskys autograph, the other...Sean Avery.

And then my Dawes jersey was signed by Nigel, but I also got Henrik to sign the right shoulder. I hope that doesn't make it worthless (I mean, its Hank)

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 06:35 AM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

We all know what kind of person Avery is. But the thing is, a complete d-bag is exactly what the Rangers need and he fills his role well.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 07:56 AM
SML

That pic of Cherry is hilarious. He looks like he should be hanging out with Snoop Dogg and Don Magic Juan.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 08:21 AM
lbrowne

When the Rangers came to Calgary most of them were kind enough to come over for autographs after their lunch hour skate.

Avery hung around outside in front of us but wouldn't come over. I never even sang out to him because I knew he was lovin having the people yell his name.

The best thing about seein the NYR crew was meeting Sam Rosen and Joe Michelletti (sp?), and also John Gianonne and Dave Maloney. Absolute class acts.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 08:37 AM
in the hall

everyone knows avery's a special character, and by special i don't mean it in a good way, just unique.

even off the ice, around his teammates, in the locker room, he is the same. he's sean avery, thats what people will tell you. most of them take it with a grain of salt.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
The original posters story does make him seem like a complete ******, but something has been going on with him lately. who knows, but as long as he plays well, I don't really care if he avoids the media and doesn't sign autographs for people after games. Maybe when he gets a new contract or a new girlfriend he'll be cooler in that regard, but let's face it, it's not really the players jobs to make us like them off the ice.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 09:06 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Maybe he was having a bad day....

I will say, however, I have never understood the autograph obsession.

02-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I met Avery up at the Hockey Hall Of Fame. I was there for Messiers inductiuon, and also got to watch the Rangers play the Leafs that weekend. There was a Rangers autograph session that weekend at the Hall. Got to meet all the players and Sather too. When my brother and I stepped up to meet Avery, my brother tells him...

"Hey, I want to hire your mother as a motivational speaker!"

Avery looked up, bumps Shanny who is next to him, and started laughing. He said...

"I don't know if you can afford her man, she's expensive!"

The conversation was basically a direct result of Avery's mom, calling the guy out. Avery told the press that his mom called him after a recent loss, and told him he played like crap. Of course the next game, he is all over the ice, has a fight with Tucker, and also scores a goal...might have even had 2 that night. Anyway, point is...he was joking around with us that day. Maybe you caught him on a bad day?

Personally I could care less if the guiy is a jerk off the ice. As long as he gets under people's skin when he is on the ice, and continues to play his game it really doesn;t matter too much.

Just remember too. One of the greatest players to ever play the game, and the guy that brought us the Stanley Cuo in 94 was also an arse off the ice. The guy actually made my 5 year old niece cry once...But, I dont hold it against the guy. He was here to play hockey, and he excelled there, where countless others failed. Of course I am talking about Mess.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:25 AM
mstraka82

havent met avery, but i dont know if i want to, i would rather meet Jags

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:39 AM
John Torturella

I met Sean at a show one time. He was great. Signed the items and took time to take pictures with every single person on line. He had to sign the items but did not have to take pictures with every person on line. He was very nice.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 11:19 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Sounds like Avery is a bit bipolar... Nice guy one minute, ass the next...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 11:41 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I think he's just got alot going on with his contract issues and the fact that its been a frustrating year for him with all his injury problems because he cant get going when he's back on the ice. Plus he's still playing hurt so he's not a 100%. He should be nicer but its understandable how he's acted.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 12:25 PM
mstraka82

Aves needs to relax and stop going out and just watch one tree hill

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

I should dress up as Marty and try to score his autograph.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
I should dress up as Marty and try to score his autograph.
I'd paypal you 50 dollars if you proved that with footage.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 01:11 PM
PhlipDowt

All an autograph means is that you bothered someone anyway. if your an adult and your looking for autographs you should have your head examined. (and i dont mean this towards the youngster who started this thread....this is your last year for this type of behavior..hahaha).

PhlipDowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb9191 View Post
Has anyone here gotten the pleasure, or displeasure of meeting Sean off the ice?

We all love sitting in the stands and at home watching him get under the skin of the opponent and score some goals, but after the game yesterday, I stuck around to meet some of the guys.

I met about 7, most of them willing to sign autographs and take pictures. Got Nigel to sign my jersey right on the "0" (its a Dawes jersey) and even was lucky enough to get Henrik to sign the jersey on the right shoulder (I told him I liked his band)

Dubinsky was a cool guy too, took pictures, signed my puck. Same with Hollweg, who I asked to demonstrate his dance but said that he cant due to restrictions with his suit.

Ryan Callahan spoke to my dad and I for about 5 minutes, hes a great kid. Really really nice guy.

The nicest of them all was Strudwick. No suprise obviously, he'll do anything for some support from the fans. But none the less, a really nice guy..

But the point of this thread is about the guy who wasn't so nice. Sean Avery. Sean jetted out past Cosby's about a half hour after the game. A few fans asked him for his autograph, including me and a few other kids (i'm only 16) Sean said "What are you gonna do? ******* Sell it? I'm sure thats not going on your little wall at home." Then he signs only one persons puck, happened to be mine. He signs it "SA" and puts a 14 next to it to make it worthless. Then I try to get a picture with Sean, and he turns to me and goes "dude what are you doing? your annoying."

Now, maybe he had somewhere to go, but is it too much to ask for him to look up and take a picture? There weren't that many people around, and it was really uncalled for.

My point is, I love what he does on the ice, and really have no problem with him. However, he hasnt spoken to the media in a week, and is really the total opposite of a class act off the ice. Not very pleasing. Really disappointed me.

No need to curse at kids, but you've never been in a rush to get somewhere? Maybe he had an important commitment.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 01:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
No need to curse at kids, but you've never been in a rush to get somewhere? Maybe he had an important commitment.
16 is a kid?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 02:02 PM
MakoSlade

Send a message via AIM to MakoSlade Send a message via MSN to MakoSlade Send a message via Yahoo to MakoSlade
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb9191 View Post
Sean said "What are you gonna do? ******* Sell it? I'm sure thats not going on your little wall at home."
Is there really any money to be made in the Avery autograph market?

MakoSlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 02:04 PM
LeftCoastRangersFan

I met a guy here in Vancouver a while back that partied with Avery a couple times when he was in LA. He asked someone (that obviously knew avery well) at a party one time if Avery's always 'on edge' (PC way of saying an ***hole, I guess). Avery's mate says he often tries to keep his on-ice persona off-ice as well. Something like if he's too nice away from the rink for long periods of time it becomes too hard to get back into "Avery mode" when the pucks drops. I dunno, take it for what it's worth I guess...

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 02:07 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
Oh yea i found out that he said to some kid in the 400's i cant believe you pay for these seats, when people found that out they were pissed
That's hilarious. Oh wait, the 400's are the best seats in the Garden.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 02:28 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
i know this doesnt deal with avery, but i usually go for autographs of the visiting team when there in town, but has anyone gotten ranger autographs while they are on the road? im intresting in knowing how they are when they are out of town

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote