HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

LMHF Game Report #26....So very bitter.

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2004, 05:30 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
LMHF Game Report #26....So very bitter.

I know I've officially gone bitter when I can't even enjoy a 5-2 win. Sure it was ugly, sure they played like morons in the first period, but hey, a while ago I still would've at least enjoyed myself significantly. Tonight I just couldn't, because there were so many ugly things out there that I was just plain bitter.

Coaching Report:

Hard to fault a guy in a 5-2 W, but IT'S NOT GONNA STOP ME!!!! Benching Semenov and Hemsky?? WHY??? Doesn't make any sense at all, and messed up a couple combos that were working fairly well. Not sure why this guy does these kinda things when his team is actually playing sorta well, instead of when they're flat-out terrible (first 20).

Player Reports:

(Note: Tonight I find it very tough to give grades, because although the result was there, I feel I should be going deeper than that, and I feel it's very difficult to give negatives in a 5-2W, and also very difficult to give positives in a game that this team would've had no chance in against many other teams, so players will just recieve descriptions tonight)

Tommy Salo: Very strange game. Finally allowed only 2 goals instead of 3+ or shutout, yet was very shaky at times, yet made rather massive saves at other points, this guy is such a confusing goaltender. I still want him gone, but for holding the team in there (albeit against the Hawks) he gets a fairly positive review. Still two disgusting goals.......but oh well.

Alex Semenov: Really puzzled as to why he was benched for almost the entire 3rd. He was playing just fine from what I could tell, +1 and all, lookin good with Ulanov, did he get hurt or something?

Steve Staios: Pretty medium game I though, he just hasn't looked the same lately, I think the extra ice-time is wearing him down a fair bit. Hopefully he can get some rest over the next few.

Igor Ulanov: A monster out there tonight, despite one HIDEOUS defensive gaffe that would've recieved ire from many posters and wrecked his game had this been another defenceman. Igor laid the body more than most of his team combined on most nights, was scrappy, drove the Hawks pretty nuts, KO'ed Vandenbusshe, and got a helper. Pretty complete game for a rugged d-man.

Jason Smith: Quite solid in his first one back, didn't take any garbage from Chicago, threw the mits down and played fairly snarly all night.

Eric Brewer: Slacked a little bit tonight I thought, made some tentative decisions that could've cost him, but they didn't, so nothing really bad here.

Cory Cross: Kept jumping up into the play which I liked, got beat BADLY a couple times by Hawks forwards, didn't like that.

Scott Ferguson:..............didn't play.......knew there was one less speed bump out there tonight. NEXT STOP WAIVER WIRE! SAY IT WITH ME!

Mike Bishai: Quite solid in his first game as an Oiler. Really should've had a goal or two, too bad for the guy that he didn't pop one, because he probably won't get many chances. We'll see though.

Shawn Horcoff: Well, I'm gonna start this rather strangely.....the Anchor actually played a pretty good game tonight.....for him......and did manage to score two........even though Bryan Berard put one in and Smyth and Pisani did all the work on the other, nonetheless, he played a pretty decent hockey game. Then he took a stupid lazy penalty......then got thinkin he was tough and got his face bashed in. Shawn, appreciate the effort, but just stick to bein a 4th line center who chips in occasionally. And PLEASE stop overskating your checks and waving your stick at them, this isn't the No Hit League. So, this is a positive review, with some qualifications. Expect anything less from me?? Was NOT the first star.

Brad Isbister: Another suspicious semi-benching..WHY? Brad was actually playing a pretty solid game, but got next to no ice time from MacTavish. Really can't figure this one out, I liked his first step to the net tonight and liked how he was looking around for a change.

Radek Dvorak: BIG game goes unnoticed. Actually threw the body all night, I was quite impressed. This guy was an excellent pickup, and should be here for a long time. Pefect 2nd line winger on a good team, because he always brings a consistent effort now, which was the question mark at the beginning of the season. Well done Radek!

Fernando Pisani: NICE goal. Very solid effort all night. Forecheck quite well and had good vision out there. Part of an oddly solid line.

Ryan Smyth: Finally deserves first star, and not only doesn't get it, doesn't even get a star at all!!! More games like this. He's supposed be THAT guy all year long. Stirring the drink, actually making good passes again, it was nice to see.

Ales Hemsky: Didn't have the best game, but again, why the benching? It didn't make any sense. Made some nice creative plays that weren't finished off, and defensive positioning was quite good, but still very average tonight.

Jarret Stoll: Liking his effort pretty much every time out, very reliable guy now.

Adam Oates: Needs to retire. Old, tired, lazy, slow, pathetic. He passed up a sure goal tonight! The puck was coming slow, wide open net, and he let it go to his winger, who had to wait too long for the puck. You just don't have IT anymore Adam, hopefully some cup-contender will give us more than an old pair of skates for you at the deadline.

Ethan Moreau: Good effort out there tonight, took a couple rather bad penalties which downgraded him from what I would have placed as a star-worthy performance. GREAT lil play on "Georges'" goal.

Georges Laraque: Didn't do much really. Got beaten in a fight, yikes! Got the monkey off his back, but not through much effort of his own. Didn't see much ice and didn't really deserve any more than he got.

Raffi Torres: Unspectacular, yet quite solid tonight. Got under Chicago's skin, controlled the puck better than most, did his job.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

All these Grades apply to after the first 10-15 minutes. Because during that time, pretty much everyone stunk the joint out. It was UGLY. Against a solid team, we're down 3 or 4 nothing.

Why does MacTavish bench people in a game where his team has control and no one is performing very bad?

The Blue car really slacked off tonight. The crowd-pleaser from last game lost a heart-breaker in his race tonight, many were seen weeping in dismay at their fallen hero's defeat.

Vandenbusshe needed the ref to essentially toss him into the bench. That guy was NAILED by Ulanov.

Beating Chicago 5-2 is not a statement in any way, shape, or form, I'm pretty sure you all understand that. They are seriously THAT BAD. Craig Anderson may be one of the worst NHL goalies I've ever seen.

Well, like I said, for some reason, I'm pretty sure it's severe bitterness, I couldn't enjoy tonight's win very much, hopefully that will change on Saturday against LA, LMHF#1 reporting.........OUT!

LATE EDIT: Semenov had a bruised hip.

EDIT #2: Forgot to include MY THREE STARS (new feature), unfortunately the blue car didn't make it tonight:

#1-Ryan Smyth
#2-Igor Ulanov
#3-Radek Dvorak

Last edited by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1: 01-30-2004 at 05:41 AM.
Old
01-30-2004, 05:40 AM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

IMO Ulanov was 1st star...aside from a bad giveaway he was a MONSTER.....im surprised Ruutu didnt want to switch wings so he wouldnt have to mess with Igor anymore that game ...

I agree...the biggest disappointment of the night was the blue car...just wasnt quite the same...I have no clue why Semenov didnt play almost the entire 3rd...as for Hemsky...he wasnt great but was that worth being benched?

Old
01-30-2004, 05:51 AM
creative giant*

Semenov left with a bruised hip, no idea how serious it is though, that's why he didn't play in the third.

Old
01-30-2004, 05:52 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMenace
Semenov left with a bruised hip, no idea how serious it is though, that's why he didn't play in the third.
Yeah, found that out later, noted at the end of the report. Still puzzled about Isbister and Hemsky though.

ANOTHER EDIT: I went and wasted my 1500th post on some comment in the hard cap topic. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! So I'll just dedicate that post to all my followers, everyone who reads the reports and everyone who has phoned 1-800-lmh-f4gm as well as 1-800-fire-mct. WE WILL GET IT DONE SOON! I'll be behind that bench wearing a goofy tie and yelling at millionaires! Just believe!

Last edited by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1: 01-30-2004 at 05:56 AM.
Old
01-30-2004, 06:00 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
You watched a different Salo then I did. The Oilers SHOULD have been down 3-0 after the first. He made some saves we'll see in about 9-10 months on Rock'm Sock'm! The Berard goal was a strange one indeed, went in between our own players legs and looks like he lost the puck for a bit. The first goal - wasn't AT ALL his fault, what can he do against a Hawk kicking it in!?!? But fairly decent post - I wondered the exact same thing as you about the benchings. And yes, the Blue Car blew.

Old
01-30-2004, 06:00 AM
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Yeah, found that out later, noted at the end of the report. Still puzzled about Isbister and Hemsky though.
Puzzled about Isbister not playing? I would bench him the next game. In a physical game he was a no show. Being one of the bigger forwards on the Oilers he sure did not hit anyone tonight.

Old
01-30-2004, 06:03 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Someone on Oilfans saw him go off the ice in the second shaking his foot and didn't notice him in the 3rd. No one mentioned Hemsky.

01-30-2004, 06:13 AM
Oiler94

Send a message via MSN to Oiler94
Quote:
Eric Brewer: Slacked a little bit tonight I thought, made some tentative decisions that could've cost him...
That's Brewer's story of the season IMO

Old
01-30-2004, 06:14 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
You watched a different Salo then I did. The Oilers SHOULD have been down 3-0 after the first. He made some saves we'll see in about 9-10 months on Rock'm Sock'm! The Berard goal was a strange one indeed, went in between our own players legs and looks like he lost the puck for a bit. The first goal - wasn't AT ALL his fault, what can he do against a Hawk kicking it in!?!? But fairly decent post - I wondered the exact same thing as you about the benchings. And yes, the Blue Car blew.
I did refer to his massive saves, I just don't get how the same guy can have a ton of trouble with 4 or 5 easy point-shots in the same game. The first goal I faulted him because of his initial effort on the original shot, where he looked as out of it as the rest of his team did for the first period. Really didn't look like he had a clue what he was doing, which allowed the goal to happen. Second one looked like he really had no focus, and went down in a completely unorganized and what looked like unintentional manner. Positive grade for him tonight, with a puzzled noting thrown in.

Old
01-30-2004, 06:24 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Regardless. Tommy is easily a star tonight. Without him the Oilers are out of the game after about 15 minutes. I agree, the second goal was awkward - but if everygoalie who gave up a goal on a point shot by Berard was considered puzzled then there would be an eastern conference full of them.

Old
01-30-2004, 02:22 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Did I not call it last night?

Old
01-30-2004, 03:26 PM
TheChase

Quote:
I know I've officially gone bitter when I can't even enjoy a 5-2 win. Sure it was ugly, sure they played like morons in the first period, but hey, a while ago I still would've at least enjoyed myself significantly. Tonight I just couldn't, because there were so many ugly things out there that I was just plain bitter.

Coaching Report:

Hard to fault a guy in a 5-2 W, but IT'S NOT GONNA STOP ME!!!! Benching Semenov and Hemsky?? WHY??? Doesn't make any sense at all, and messed up a couple combos that were working fairly well. Not sure why this guy does these kinda things when his team is actually playing sorta well, instead of when they're flat-out terrible (first 20).

Player Reports:

(Note: Tonight I find it very tough to give grades, because although the result was there, I feel I should be going deeper than that, and I feel it's very difficult to give negatives in a 5-2W, and also very difficult to give positives in a game that this team would've had no chance in against many other teams, so players will just recieve descriptions tonight)

Tommy Salo: Very strange game. Finally allowed only 2 goals instead of 3+ or shutout, yet was very shaky at times, yet made rather massive saves at other points, this guy is such a confusing goaltender. I still want him gone, but for holding the team in there (albeit against the Hawks) he gets a fairly positive review. Still two disgusting goals.......but oh well.

Alex Semenov: Really puzzled as to why he was benched for almost the entire 3rd. He was playing just fine from what I could tell, +1 and all, lookin good with Ulanov, did he get hurt or something?

Steve Staios: Pretty medium game I though, he just hasn't looked the same lately, I think the extra ice-time is wearing him down a fair bit. Hopefully he can get some rest over the next few.

Igor Ulanov: A monster out there tonight, despite one HIDEOUS defensive gaffe that would've recieved ire from many posters and wrecked his game had this been another defenceman. Igor laid the body more than most of his team combined on most nights, was scrappy, drove the Hawks pretty nuts, KO'ed Vandenbusshe, and got a helper. Pretty complete game for a rugged d-man.

Jason Smith: Quite solid in his first one back, didn't take any garbage from Chicago, threw the mits down and played fairly snarly all night.

Eric Brewer: Slacked a little bit tonight I thought, made some tentative decisions that could've cost him, but they didn't, so nothing really bad here.

Cory Cross: Kept jumping up into the play which I liked, got beat BADLY a couple times by Hawks forwards, didn't like that.

Scott Ferguson:..............didn't play.......knew there was one less speed bump out there tonight. NEXT STOP WAIVER WIRE! SAY IT WITH ME!

Mike Bishai: Quite solid in his first game as an Oiler. Really should've had a goal or two, too bad for the guy that he didn't pop one, because he probably won't get many chances. We'll see though.

Shawn Horcoff: Well, I'm gonna start this rather strangely.....the Anchor actually played a pretty good game tonight.....for him......and did manage to score two........even though Bryan Berard put one in and Smyth and Pisani did all the work on the other, nonetheless, he played a pretty decent hockey game. Then he took a stupid lazy penalty......then got thinkin he was tough and got his face bashed in. Shawn, appreciate the effort, but just stick to bein a 4th line center who chips in occasionally. And PLEASE stop overskating your checks and waving your stick at them, this isn't the No Hit League. So, this is a positive review, with some qualifications. Expect anything less from me?? Was NOT the first star.

Brad Isbister: Another suspicious semi-benching..WHY? Brad was actually playing a pretty solid game, but got next to no ice time from MacTavish. Really can't figure this one out, I liked his first step to the net tonight and liked how he was looking around for a change.

Radek Dvorak: BIG game goes unnoticed. Actually threw the body all night, I was quite impressed. This guy was an excellent pickup, and should be here for a long time. Pefect 2nd line winger on a good team, because he always brings a consistent effort now, which was the question mark at the beginning of the season. Well done Radek!

Fernando Pisani: NICE goal. Very solid effort all night. Forecheck quite well and had good vision out there. Part of an oddly solid line.

Ryan Smyth: Finally deserves first star, and not only doesn't get it, doesn't even get a star at all!!! More games like this. He's supposed be THAT guy all year long. Stirring the drink, actually making good passes again, it was nice to see.

Ales Hemsky: Didn't have the best game, but again, why the benching? It didn't make any sense. Made some nice creative plays that weren't finished off, and defensive positioning was quite good, but still very average tonight.

Jarret Stoll: Liking his effort pretty much every time out, very reliable guy now.

Adam Oates: Needs to retire. Old, tired, lazy, slow, pathetic. He passed up a sure goal tonight! The puck was coming slow, wide open net, and he let it go to his winger, who had to wait too long for the puck. You just don't have IT anymore Adam, hopefully some cup-contender will give us more than an old pair of skates for you at the deadline.

Ethan Moreau: Good effort out there tonight, took a couple rather bad penalties which downgraded him from what I would have placed as a star-worthy performance. GREAT lil play on "Georges'" goal.

Georges Laraque: Didn't do much really. Got beaten in a fight, yikes! Got the monkey off his back, but not through much effort of his own. Didn't see much ice and didn't really deserve any more than he got.

Raffi Torres: Unspectacular, yet quite solid tonight. Got under Chicago's skin, controlled the puck better than most, did his job.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

All these Grades apply to after the first 10-15 minutes. Because during that time, pretty much everyone stunk the joint out. It was UGLY. Against a solid team, we're down 3 or 4 nothing.

Why does MacTavish bench people in a game where his team has control and no one is performing very bad?

The Blue car really slacked off tonight. The crowd-pleaser from last game lost a heart-breaker in his race tonight, many were seen weeping in dismay at their fallen hero's defeat.

Vandenbusshe needed the ref to essentially toss him into the bench. That guy was NAILED by Ulanov.

Beating Chicago 5-2 is not a statement in any way, shape, or form, I'm pretty sure you all understand that. They are seriously THAT BAD. Craig Anderson may be one of the worst NHL goalies I've ever seen.

Well, like I said, for some reason, I'm pretty sure it's severe bitterness, I couldn't enjoy tonight's win very much, hopefully that will change on Saturday against LA, LMHF#1 reporting.........OUT!

LATE EDIT: Semenov had a bruised hip.

EDIT #2: Forgot to include MY THREE STARS (new feature), unfortunately the blue car didn't make it tonight:

#1-Ryan Smyth
#2-Igor Ulanov
#3-Radek Dvorak

The ones that really impressed me were Salo Ulanov Smyth with honorable mention to Pisani. Am I out to lunch by feeling that MacT is miss handling Hemsky.

Old
01-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Oilers Hockey

No you're not the only one, I see Hemsky's confidence dissolving because of what MacT's doing.

Very good report LMHF, you made me laugh while giving a solid assessment!

Closed Thread