Notices

Another game w/less than three goals

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2004, 06:05 AM
Jake3648

vCash: 500
Another game w/less than three goals

You can get away with less than three goals for against the likes of the Rags and the Islanders but the B's won't go very far against playoff caliber teams with their continued inability to net more than 2 GPG.....we're waiting MIKE.....pull the string on a second line goal scorer.

Old
01-30-2004, 08:42 AM
Bruinguy
Here we are again!

C'mon Jeff O'Neill....seems like a good fit to me. As I mentioned in a previous post, he went to the Gary Roberts (as much as I despise the Leafs) school of fitness. Just look at the neck on the guy before Roberts joined the 'Canes then after. He would look great on the second line.

Old
01-30-2004, 11:09 AM
HockeyGoddess

I don't remember many blowouts in the playoffs, actually, so chances are, you're more likely to get away with less than 3 goals in a playoff game than in the regular season, IMO.

Go Bruins, go Bruins, GO!!
Old
01-30-2004, 11:46 AM
Dueman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGoddess
I don't remember many blowouts in the playoffs, actually, so chances are, you're more likely to get away with less than 3 goals in a playoff game than in the regular season, IMO.

Good point, but if your offense can only generate less than 3 goals/game in the regular season, you'll be lucky to pot one a game in the playoffs and unless your New Jersey, one goal won't cut it.

Old
01-30-2004, 11:48 AM
HockeyGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueman1
Good point, but if your offense can only generate less than 3 goals/game in the regular season, you'll be lucky to pot one a game in the playoffs and unless your New Jersey, one goal won't cut it.
I agree. But ya never know...

Old
01-30-2004, 11:50 AM
SomethingsBruin

We need to have the potential of scoring more than 2 goals a game. Our goalies need to be confident in the fact that if they let one slip buy that it isn't going to blow the game or the series the other thing is this team tends to lose confidence very easily and another scoreer would be great for that. I personally want ron francis he is a scorer and leader this team needs. Vetran LEADERSHIP is sorely missed on this team.

Old
01-30-2004, 12:12 PM
Gator Mike

Should (could?) the Bruins enter the Peter Bondra Sweepstakes?

The rumor I read elsewhere has the Caps wanting a young defenseman and a draft pick for him. Jeff Jillson, perhaps?

Old
01-30-2004, 12:30 PM
Jeff from Maine

Thats The Thing!

3 goals against the Rangers in the REGULAR season= about 3 total goals in a 4 game series against the Devils!

The more I think about this, the more I have come to this conclusion:

We dont have a 2nd line!

We have a #1 line and lines 3a and 3b.

Neither our "#2" or "3" lines can generate offense. Last night, the 2nd line had what? A nice 20 second flurry and NOTHING else? And the 3rd line was just as much of a joke!

And its been that way all season...other than the first 9-10 or so games.

Later

Old
01-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine
3 goals against the Rangers in the REGULAR season= about 3 total goals in a 4 game series against the Devils!

We dont have a 2nd line!

Neither our "#2" or "3" lines can generate offense. Last night, the 2nd line had what? A nice 20 second flurry and NOTHING else? And the 3rd line was just as much of a joke!

Later
We really didnt have a second line last year but we didnt know it because Joe was lighting it up with Muzz and Knuble. Also guys like Axe and Rolston were contributing to the offense too. I think Bondra would be a GREAT, GREAT addition to the team, but we need to look at the guys wearing the B right now and ask for some answers. Murray is FINALLY starting to bury his chances. Knuble is playing well but isnt getting chances like he did on Joe's line. I think Joe needs to elevate his game a bit more and start taking over like we know he can.

My problem with this team is that they take too many perimeter shots. Weak shots that dont do anything. They dont shoot like they want it to go in and that is the biggest difference from last year that I notice.

If we can get Bondra for a reasonable price, do it....but dont sacrifice the farm for a guy who might get us through one round of playoffs.

Old
01-30-2004, 01:57 PM
GM Bruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake3648
You can get away with less than three goals for against the likes of the Rags and the Islanders but the B's won't go very far against playoff caliber teams with their continued inability to net more than 2 GPG.....we're waiting MIKE.....pull the string on a second line goal scorer.
And while they're working on a deal - put Jillson back in the line-up so they can generate some offense from the point ( and not destroy his confidence - such a stupid move to keep him out ). Slegr can't do it alone, and the only other guy who can do it is sitting on the bench...bad idea jeans.

Old
01-30-2004, 02:05 PM
brianscot

Only three teams (Ottawa, Detroit, Colorado) are averaging more than 3 goals per game.

If Thornton, Samsonov, and Murray were having more traditional seasons, the Bruins would probably be amongst that group.

Colorada is averaging barely over 3 goals per game, despite having four of their top six forwards healthy all season. (Forsberg and Kariya have both played just 20-25 games.)

Old
01-30-2004, 02:14 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
It's a league wide dilemma.

In this week's Hockey News , I believe the stat is a total of something like 4.8 goals being scored per game.

It could turn out to be the lowest number since 1957.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
01-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
It's a league wide dilemma.

In this week's Hockey News , I believe the stat is a total of something like 4.8 goals being scored per game.

It could turn out to be the lowest number since 1957.
I love hockey and always will. When I am home I watch a couple games a night and usually find one that is really enjoyable. BUT if the NHL thinks they are gaining any new fans with this product they are putting out they are high.

Imagine if you were to bring a friend to that Isles game last night and before the game you were telling him all the great things about hockey? He would think you are a crack addict or something. Not that ending wasnt great for fans of the Bruins, but this league is probably losing more fans on a yearly basis than gaining. If the players and league TOGETHER dont realize this than this CBA lockout/strike will truly be NHL armageddon. Fortunately I dont think either side is that stupid.

Players need to realize a few things: 1-Teams ARE losing money. 2-We will be lucky to get a mediocre TV contract after the CBA. 3-The players right now currently make too much money

Things the league/owners needs to realize 1-Bettman needs to go...he is killing this league. 2-They need some owner solidarity. Rangers, Stars, etc need to put the reigns on things. 3-Combine one and two with the elimination of 3-4 teams and go back to the old schedule system you will have a league that will be very exciting, will draw new fans and will succeed.

Old
01-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
I love hockey and always will. When I am home I watch a couple games a night and usually find one that is really enjoyable. BUT if the NHL thinks they are gaining any new fans with this product they are putting out they are high.

I agree. The game is on life support right now as far as I'm concerned.
The cost to go. The lack of being entertained. The dilution of talent. Rules that aren't enforced thereby rendering the Stars to what would have been average not too long ago.

Somebody with insight , vision and guts needs to be handed the reigns.

The other thing that I'm told ,and have no real experience with, is that HDTV could be the greatest thing ever to happen to this sport. If it truly is hockey that benefits most by this technology, then somebody better realize it and take advantage of it.

Old
01-30-2004, 02:34 PM
wensink

Quote:
It's funny you wrote that (well...maybe not funny) because I was thinking the same thing. This season in particular, I find myself watching fewer and fewer hockey games. In the past, I would watch at least part of 1 or 2 games (Center Ice) every night. This season, I'm not even watching 100% of the B's games.

I've been channel surfing far more often then ever before. Maybe it's just me. But the games aren't as exciting. Fights are up yet the intensity is not always there. Maybe it's the impending CBA/lockout....

Old
01-30-2004, 02:39 PM
wensink

Quote:
The cost to go. The lack of being entertained. The dilution of talent. Rules that aren't enforced thereby rendering the Stars to what would have been average not too long ago.

The other thing that I'm told ,and have no real experience with, is that HDTV could be the greatest thing ever to happen to this sport. If it truly is hockey that benefits most by this technology, then somebody better realize it and take advantage of it.

I have an HD ready big screen TV and all that I'm waiting for the introduction of the HD/DirecTV/TIVO. They will be in a few months, I'm told. Then I'll probably need to wait another year before the price comes into this stratosphere

Old
01-30-2004, 02:39 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:

Wally, I accept your vote of confidence for me to be league commish!!!

Old
01-30-2004, 02:52 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Wally, I accept your vote of confidence for me to be league commish!!!

I have you neck and neck with Denis Leary..

Old
01-30-2004, 09:53 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake3648
The Bruins are missing too many pieces to mount a serious Cup challenge this season so there is no point in gutting the lineup to acquire a young scorer or squander the future by trading prospects/draft picks to rent an older scorer. I predict there will be an unusual number of top-quality UFAs available in the off-season so significant moves should wait.

Old
01-30-2004, 11:04 PM
mr. rancourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine

We dont have a 2nd line!

Later
dude, which rolston ,ax, corazini line were you watching? That trio was flying all night

Old
01-31-2004, 03:14 AM
sarge88

A couple of quick thoughts about scoring, lines etc.

1. How many coaches of playoff teams would be using Rolston as their 3d line center and not a winger on a second line? My guess 10-20%.

2. For all the complaints that I've heard about Slegr, he was brought here to provide transitional help and offense from the blueline. He has 6 points in 6 games and is a +2. Add in his "fight" (okay purse swinging match) and I don't think there is much to complain about.

Closed Thread