HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gonchar...

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2004, 06:26 AM
Prendan Brust

vCash: 500
Gonchar...

Like everybody knows, it seems that Washington is shopping Gonchar. What would you guys think about a deal with Markov as the centerpiece? I think Washington would want that kind of player for Gonchar, talented and cheap. I don't think Markov would be enough, so what do you think we should add to get it done? I think Markov and a 1st would be more than enough...

Old
01-30-2004, 07:35 AM
Mike8

Pass.

Building stability is the number one objective of this franchise by the looks of it. Trading a young, talented, homegrown, well-rounded defenseman who's cheap for a player that isn't far from being a UFA isn't a sound hockey or financial decision.

Old
01-30-2004, 11:04 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Pass.

Building stability is the number one objective of this franchise by the looks of it. Trading a young, talented, homegrown, well-rounded defenseman who's cheap for a player that isn't far from being a UFA isn't a sound hockey or financial decision.

Old
01-30-2004, 12:35 PM
GhostOfTheForum

Send a message via MSN to GhostOfTheForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Pass.

I agree, selling our future for a quick fix is something I hope we are past

Old
01-30-2004, 12:35 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Toronto can have him, they seem to be going in the same deirection as the NYR when it comes to how they form their roster. I wouldn't want Gonchar if we lost anything significant which will would have too.

Old
01-30-2004, 12:39 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

if the price is right, I would take Gonchar right away. The guy is a star and if he's available for cheap, why not. However, Markov is not what I consider cheap in my opinion.

Old
01-30-2004, 12:48 PM
GhostOfTheForum

I think we are going to see most of the trading and shuffling of players in the off season and probably at least one major UFA signing

Old
01-30-2004, 01:07 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfTheForum
I think we are going to see most of the trading and shuffling of players in the off season and probably at least one major UFA signing
I don't think your major UFA signing will happen this year, by the time the team will be ready to compete, he'll be over the hill... He'll also be taking up valuable Ice-time away from younger players. Basically, if they can't fill a spot with a kid, they'll go out and sign a cheap UFA who'll be adequate enough to fill the spot temporarily, not an expensive big name talent.

Old
01-30-2004, 01:32 PM
Darz

I wouldn't want to see us part with Markov and a 1st rounder for Gonchar, and I really doubt Gainey would look at such a trade. This team is rebuilding and a trade like that just doesn't fit into the plans.

Old
01-30-2004, 03:14 PM
oli500

People, We've allways had something againts Brisebois in the past because he couldent play defensively. You really think gonchar is the soulution at -23. I think that number tells u somethink that he also cant play defensively. Hes a one dimentional defensemen. And if we had to give up someone like markov w'hos a much better defensif defencemen and stil contributs a bit to the offense for someone like gonchar would be a steal for the capitals so the anwser is no.

I like are defense corre. It has a bit of everythink. Toughness in komisarek and quintal. stay at home in brisebois and bouillon, and offensive defencemen in sourray and markov. The anwser is upfront were i would like a true sniper like oneil or bondra to play with koivu and ryder. I dont thnik bulis is good enough to play there especially if we make the playoffs. I dont have anythink againts bulis but he dosent provide what ryder and koivu needs on that first line. A Bulis - Bégin - Ward 3rd line would awsome.

Old
01-30-2004, 09:41 PM
Prendan Brust

Maybe i'm overrating Gonchar but in my mind he is the best offensive D-Man in the league. This year his +/- isn't good but the team as a whole is sucking this year. I'm not sure but I think Gonchar has a career +/- of over 50. I don't think he's that bad defensively, IMO just a bit better than average. Sure markov is young but Gonchar ain't that old at 29 (he'll be 30 in april). He's not that expensive for that kind of talent at 4,5 million (I think). Maybe Markov and a 1st an overpayment but I don't think Markov could get it done alone. If we can sign Gonchar to a long term deal, I think it would be a great deal for the habs... IMO some of you guys are seriously underrating the impact Gonchar would have on the team.

Last edited by Prendan Brust: 01-30-2004 at 09:42 PM. Reason: edit
Old
01-30-2004, 09:47 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
2 years of Gonchar or 6 years of Markov?

Seems easy to me. Markov stays.

Old
01-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan

I said If we can sign Gonchar to a long term deal .

Old
01-30-2004, 10:00 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
I said If we can sign Gonchar to a long term deal .

what if he wants 8-10 million per year for that long term deal?

Old
01-30-2004, 10:05 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan

Who talked about giving up Markov? Anyway, I wouldn't do Gonchar for Markov, but that's not my point. Would I be willing to deal some good, but unproven talent for a d-man that's currently in the top 3 of the league? No doubt about that. I think some people on these boards need to understand that the key when talking about prospects is potential.

Old
01-30-2004, 10:40 PM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsFan
Who talked about giving up Markov?
Me, that was my proposal, Markov and a 1st for Gonchar.

But it's seem you guys all think it's an overpayment... So what would be a reasonable price for Gonchar in your opinion?

Old
01-31-2004, 02:23 AM
Wildbeliefs

Quote:
Me, that was my proposal, Markov and a 1st for Gonchar.

But it's seem you guys all think it's an overpayment... So what would be a reasonable price for Gonchar in your opinion?
A comparable offer: Dykhuis and a 1st... *cough*

Do we need Gonchar though? If we had the opportunity to pluck someone off the Washington roster, my opinion sways more towards Lang.

Old
01-31-2004, 03:57 AM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbeliefs
A comparable offer: Dykhuis and a 1st... *cough*

Do we need Gonchar though? If we had the opportunity to pluck someone off the Washington roster, my opinion sways more towards Lang.
I think any team can use a player like Gonchar.

Old
01-31-2004, 04:17 AM
Wildbeliefs

Quote:
I think any team can use a player like Gonchar.
I'm not saying that we couldn't use Gonchar, but considering all the factors (Gonchar not being very good defensively, having a pretty hefty contract, Habs having to make room for Komi and Hainsey, etc), then I don't really see Gonchar coming here.

Of course, if we can somehow swap Rivet for him (say Rivet+2nd rounder or something), then I'd bite... by droping Rivet's salary, Gonchar wouldn't seem so expensive anymore.

Old
01-31-2004, 04:43 AM
JohnnyB11

But what exactly does Gonchar bring to the Habs that we don't already have? I guess it would be a top notch PP quarterback, as Gonchar is not known to play the body and he can be a defensive liability due to his offense-first game. On the point on the PP, Souray has a rocket of a shot and Koivu seems effective, while Brisebois and Markov are adequate.

I just don't think Gonchar fills a need for us. As others have mentioned, a big, effective forward would be worth dealing for, but not an offensive Dman, even one of Gonchar's caliber.

Old
01-31-2004, 06:45 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11
But what exactly does Gonchar bring to the Habs that we don't already have? I guess it would be a top notch PP quarterback, as Gonchar is not known to play the body and he can be a defensive liability due to his offense-first game. On the point on the PP, Souray has a rocket of a shot and Koivu seems effective, while Brisebois and Markov are adequate.

I just don't think Gonchar fills a need for us. As others have mentioned, a big, effective forward would be worth dealing for, but not an offensive Dman, even one of Gonchar's caliber.
Montreal's transition game has been abysmal for awhile now. Gonchar would help this tremendously.

Old
01-31-2004, 12:35 PM
GhostOfTheForum

I don't think anyone is arguing that bringing in Gonchar would be bringing in a talented player but does he fit into our long term needs?

do we have such a gap in our seasoned D-Men and the Rookies and prospects that we need Gonchar to fill it?

we have Markov and Souray and Brisebois and Rivet and Boullion that will be around for a few years

Komi and Hainsey here or soon will be

but is anyone of them a top NHL caliber defenceman? someone to build the teams defence around?

the goaltender department is well developed and it's long term future is great

so we ask ourselves is Gonchar what we need on the back line to make other teams have to plan their game around

with Washington obviously going through a fire sale maybe it would be a good time to at least see if we can have him for a cheap price but Rivet and Boullion are honestly the only two that I would even think about getting rid of and the Caps want young, cheap, GOOD talent going the other way and that is not what we want to give up

that is what we are building on

so, I cannot see it happening

(is Gonchar healthy?)

Old
01-31-2004, 04:26 PM
TML_fan_4_life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
Toronto can have him, they seem to be going in the same deirection as the NYR when it comes to how they form their roster. I wouldn't want Gonchar if we lost anything significant which will would have too.
The only difference is we built a first place team in the east and were winning without Tucker, Nolan, Renberg, Fitzgerald, and our best player Mogilny.

We also have some young talent like Carlo C., Steen, Stajan, Ponikarovsky, Sagat, Tellquivst, Antropov, Wellwood, and we have a couple of defenceman entering their prime Pilar, Berg, Kaberle, McCabe

Old
01-31-2004, 04:51 PM
tritone

Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11

I don't see why we would go after Gonchar , I truly don't see what he could bring to the team except a lack of money to get someone we really could use to fill up a hole.

Closed Thread