HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Weight Lifting

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2008, 11:45 AM
  #1
Wachovia Center
 
Wachovia Center's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,121
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Wachovia Center Send a message via Yahoo to Wachovia Center
Weight Lifting

I'm looking to change up my routine, what are some good websites to learn new excercises? Thanks.

Wachovia Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:09 PM
  #2
Hank19
Registered User
 
Hank19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wachovia Center View Post
I'm looking to change up my routine, what are some good websites to learn new excercises? Thanks.
www.abcbodybuilding.com

Best site for weight lifting, nutrition, routines, etc.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:04 PM
  #3
newfish
 
newfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to newfish
Fitness made simple works pretty well. Didnt think it would work, but it actually has.

newfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:56 PM
  #4
________
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 4,642
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm
Is a very good site.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 01:47 AM
  #5
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
2nd this site. Easily my favorite and the best out there for all your questions and needs. Their store is also the best...everything i've ordered from them has been shipped no more then 90 minutes later. I end up spending 5 bucks on shipping and I get my stuff 2-3 business days later from CA to NY.


Last edited by FLYLine24: 01-31-2008 at 11:37 AM.
FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 11:31 AM
  #6
Lord Stanley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brampton
Posts: 419
vCash: 500
http://www.nike.com/canada/niketraining/#

If it's for hockey training you can use this to build a good program.

Lord Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 02:21 PM
  #7
Kamus
Registered User
 
Kamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 456
vCash: 500
Bill Starr's 5X5 http://www.eclipsegym.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57

Me personnaly and a lot of other people swear by this program, it has given me better gains than anything else I have tried.
The great thing about it is that there is no guess work. Everything is laid out for you: reps, sets, weight. All you have to do is stick to it. If you don't know who Bill Starr is, he has been a strength trainer to world class athletes for over 30 years.

Kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 04:08 PM
  #8
Airborne Troll*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,862
vCash: 500
http://www.akelys.com/exercices/exercices.html

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 05:51 PM
  #9
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,632
vCash: 500
Remember to mix it up between free weights and bar-bells. All about muscle confusion if you really want to pack on the pounds. Of course creatine, weight gainers and protein help too. My advice to any of you 15/16 year olds out there with hockey talent - start pumpin iron now, dont make the same mistake I did!

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 08:09 AM
  #10
newfish
 
newfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to newfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Remember to mix it up between free weights and bar-bells. All about muscle confusion if you really want to pack on the pounds. Of course creatine, weight gainers and protein help too. My advice to any of you 15/16 year olds out there with hockey talent - start pumpin iron now, dont make the same mistake I did!
But just remember you dont want to be to muscular, you want to be toned. If your to muscular stick handling wont be easy.

newfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 07:40 PM
  #11
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfish View Post
But just remember you dont want to be to muscular, you want to be toned. If your to muscular stick handling wont be easy.
Having musular legs and a strong, bulky upper body is extremely beneficial. It shouldn't take away from your speed (in fact it will help your quickness and skating stride with powerful legs), and being strong down low is important.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 07:09 AM
  #12
Hank19
Registered User
 
Hank19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Having musular legs and a strong, bulky upper body is extremely beneficial. It shouldn't take away from your speed (in fact it will help your quickness and skating stride with powerful legs), and being strong down low is important.
Agreed. And lets face it, unless you're doing steroids and look like Mr.Olympia, your range of motion or stickhandling won't be affected.

I've seen some very built dudes that could stick handle in a phone booth. Has anyone seen Rod Brind'Amour? 'Nuff said.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 03:01 PM
  #13
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank19 View Post
Agreed. And lets face it, unless you're doing steroids and look like Mr.Olympia, your range of motion or stickhandling won't be affected.

I've seen some very built dudes that could stick handle in a phone booth. Has anyone seen Rod Brind'Amour? 'Nuff said.
Yup. And remember, when Crosby was even only 14 he was built like a brick house and was 185 pounds when he was 16. I dont think he would have been SO dominant in juniors at 16/17 if he wasnt so dedicated in the gym. He was a bulky little *******, even at that age.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 03:43 PM
  #14
kingpest19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wachovia Center View Post
I'm looking to change up my routine, what are some good websites to learn new excercises? Thanks.
What are you trying to accomplish? More size? More definition?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 01:40 PM
  #15
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****
 
JRZ DVLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
Country: United States
Posts: 4,307
vCash: 500
http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

This site is pretty good. It shows some exersizes along with small bitmap clips of how you do them, and illustrations of what muscles they build up.

Also helps set up routines....check the exersize and Muscle directory, and explore. it may help in conjustion with other sites.

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 02:00 PM
  #16
Hugh Madbrough
Registered User
 
Hugh Madbrough's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NoVA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

This site is pretty good. It shows some exersizes along with small bitmap clips of how you do them, and illustrations of what muscles they build up.

Also helps set up routines....check the exersize and Muscle directory, and explore. it may help in conjustion with other sites.
dude thats a cool site, thanks for posting that. I've been doing the Perfect Pushup for a week and I love it. I don't have space for exercise equipment nor do I have a lot of free time. The PPushup is working out great for me. I wish I could find a device like it for my legs now.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 02:23 PM
  #17
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM47 View Post
dude thats a cool site, thanks for posting that. I've been doing the Perfect Pushup for a week and I love it. I don't have space for exercise equipment nor do I have a lot of free time. The PPushup is working out great for me. I wish I could find a device like it for my legs now.
Been using the PP for a month, I love it. I can definitely tell that I'm getting stronger with it.

and you're right, they definitely need something for the legs. It's so much easier to just workout at home when you have a free 20 minutes then changing your clothes and driving to the gym.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 05:06 PM
  #18
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,632
vCash: 500
You wont truly get a lot stronger though unless you use muscle isolation - which requires dumbells.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 05:31 PM
  #19
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
When I'm healthy I do resistance bands, a lot of athletes are switching, it works great. Since my back injury, I've mainly done swiss ball exercises and swimming.

If you ask me those three things are easily the best and cost less than 70$ unless you don't have free swims near your home. Add in some running, up hill biking/sled/running and you should be good.

If you like weight lifting, then go for it, I hate it personally.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 07:50 AM
  #20
Hank19
Registered User
 
Hank19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
You wont truly get a lot stronger though unless you use muscle isolation - which requires dumbells.
I can atest to this.

When I first got into working out, or fitness, I didn't want to join a gym or buy equipment. So I began doing some basics like pushups, situps, chinups and hundreds of body-squats.

When I started doing this, I gained about 10 lbs of muscle in 1 year.

When my brother moved back home from school he brought his weights with him and I began working out with him. I gained about 20 lbs of muscle in 1 year after that.

Nothing beats weights for gaining strength and size. Sure, you will definitely get stronger with only using body weight for exercising. But you're never going to bench press 300 lbs or squat 500 from pushups or body-squats.

And I found my game got a LOT better and stronger after I switched to weight training.

Just look at some of the games best players - Iginla, Lecavailer, Crosby. All of them do serious weight training (and have since a young age) and it shows in their game.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 08:35 AM
  #21
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****
 
JRZ DVLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
Country: United States
Posts: 4,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank19 View Post
I can atest to this.

When I first got into working out, or fitness, I didn't want to join a gym or buy equipment. So I began doing some basics like pushups, situps, chinups and hundreds of body-squats.

When I started doing this, I gained about 10 lbs of muscle in 1 year.

When my brother moved back home from school he brought his weights with him and I began working out with him. I gained about 20 lbs of muscle in 1 year after that.

Nothing beats weights for gaining strength and size. Sure, you will definitely get stronger with only using body weight for exercising. But you're never going to bench press 300 lbs or squat 500 from pushups or body-squats.

And I found my game got a LOT better and stronger after I switched to weight training.

Just look at some of the games best players - Iginla, Lecavailer, Crosby. All of them do serious weight training (and have since a young age) and it shows in their game.

No doubt, you can only do soo much with isometrics.

Weight training is key, and I agree with Monster that the Dumbells are the way to go. Just make sure your form is good, how much you bench or whatever really doesn't matter if you aren't doing things correctly. I have seen some guys put up some serious weight, but their form is absoloutley terrible (arching backs on the bench, or using momentum-this kills me, and don't get me started with people and Lat Pulls). You can easily hurt yourself if you are not doing things correctly (morale: never sacrifice form for the high #'s). It's a bit tougher to get your form down with Dumbs, but you can definitely isolate more of your target Muscles, and have more freedom ergonomically.

A good Leg exersize i just started doing is for both the Adductor, and Abductor....Helps with the push....on the inner and outer thigh...

I think I like the Gym better than a home one. For some reason, i just like to get out of the house, plus they have way more machines than you'll ever want at your house.....and then you can people watch too....


Last edited by JRZ DVLS: 02-11-2008 at 08:46 AM.
JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 02:07 PM
  #22
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
I think I like the Gym better than a home one. For some reason, i just like to get out of the house, plus they have way more machines than you'll ever want at your house.....and then you can people watch too....
Yeah, its fun showin off for the ladies.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 02:20 PM
  #23
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,533
vCash: 500
I think using your body weight to get stronger is a great way to do it until it gets to a certain point. If you can do 100 straight pushups then doing more pushups isn't going to help you much. At that point then you have to start benching. However to start out, pushups is a great way to gain strength and they are quick to do and can be done almost anywhere.

Plus pushups will give you a more lean look while using weights gives you a more bulky look. So if you don't want to look bulky go for lower weight (such as body weight) otherwise use extra weight.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 08:28 AM
  #24
Hank19
Registered User
 
Hank19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
No doubt, you can only do soo much with isometrics.

Weight training is key, and I agree with Monster that the Dumbells are the way to go. Just make sure your form is good, how much you bench or whatever really doesn't matter if you aren't doing things correctly. I have seen some guys put up some serious weight, but their form is absoloutley terrible (arching backs on the bench, or using momentum-this kills me, and don't get me started with people and Lat Pulls). You can easily hurt yourself if you are not doing things correctly (morale: never sacrifice form for the high #'s). It's a bit tougher to get your form down with Dumbs, but you can definitely isolate more of your target Muscles, and have more freedom ergonomically.

A good Leg exersize i just started doing is for both the Adductor, and Abductor....Helps with the push....on the inner and outer thigh...

I think I like the Gym better than a home one. For some reason, i just like to get out of the house, plus they have way more machines than you'll ever want at your house.....and then you can people watch too....
I had to laugh at your story about poor form. There's a kid at my gym that can't be more than 140 lbs soaking wet. But when he does his barbell curls he picks a weight that's far too much for him. He'll then proceed to 'curl' this weight 8 times. But his biceps probably only do 30% of the work as he's arching his back, using his shoulders and legs to swing the weight up. His form is so horrible. But hey, when his buddies show up later he feels great about himself when he can tell them "I just curled 80 lbs 8 times".

There's a great Arnold story out there about this as well. He talked about how he was working out in a gym and was doing incline dumbbell curls. I believe he said he was using 60lb weights. Two guys nearby were doing the same exercise with 80lb weights.
After Arnold finished his set the two guys came over and asked Arnold "How is it that you're only using 60lb weights and you have 22" arms while we're using 80lbs and our arms are only 18"".
Arnold laughed at them and said "Have you seen your form? It's terrible. If that muscle is only doing 50% of the work, why bother?".

Despite having a ginormous ego, Arnold always said to keep your ego out of it when weight training. Lighter weights with perfect form is always 1000x better than using huge weights with poor form.

And that kid that works out at my gym? After a year, his arms have barely grown at all. Meanwhile, his friends (that use proper form) have all improved drastically. But I guess they'll never get to brag that they can curl 80lbs 8 times.

Regarding home gym vs paid gym there's good and bad for both. I like going to a gym over a home gym as well.
A home gym is always convenient as you can work out whenever you want. But sometimes, that can play against you as sometimes you'll say "I'll go in 10 minutes", "I'll go once this show is done"...next thing you know the night is over and you haven't moved from the couch.
And besides, Gym's have so much more equipment and variety to keep you fresh and to hit the muscles with different movements and machines.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 08:42 AM
  #25
Hank19
Registered User
 
Hank19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
I think using your body weight to get stronger is a great way to do it until it gets to a certain point. If you can do 100 straight pushups then doing more pushups isn't going to help you much. At that point then you have to start benching. However to start out, pushups is a great way to gain strength and they are quick to do and can be done almost anywhere.

Plus pushups will give you a more lean look while using weights gives you a more bulky look. So if you don't want to look bulky go for lower weight (such as body weight) otherwise use extra weight.
I think this could be one of the biggest misconceptions out there. Yes, push-ups will keep you lean only because you're not doing enough weight to gain any real mass or size.

I used to only do push-ups and while I did get very lean doing this, I am still very much lean and toned after switching to weights.
It has a LOT more to do with your diet and cardio regimen than anything else.

I change my routine up every 8 weeks but mostly I do heavy weights and low reps. Now according to what a lot of people say, I shouldn't be cut at all and should be nothing but a mound of mass. But that's not the case whatsoever.
I'm not saying this to brag but I am very toned to the point that my wife is always saying how ripped I am.
That's because I make sure to get at least 4 days of cardio in with my 3 days of weights. And I also eat properly - high protein, good carbs (and not too, too much of them) and I eat 6 small meals a day.

I heard one weight lifter put it this way, if you put a baseball in a sock will the sock appear tight? Yes. Now put a football in that sock. It will be tighter than the baseball.
The sock is your skin. If you eat poorly and don't do any cardio you'll have a lot more sock than if you had a proper diet and did more aerobic or anaerobic exercise.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.