HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Barry Melrose rocks!!!

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2004, 08:25 AM
c-carp

vCash: 500
Barry Melrose rocks!!!

I am watching the replay of the Bruins Isles game on ESPN and at the end of the second period Aaron Asham and Jiri Slegr had a scrap and Barry instead of pulling the usual ESPN crap explained that there was a reason for that scrap the Bruins were flat and the building was lacking atmosphere and even though Slegr got his ass kicked it helped give the Bruins a lift and gave the crowd some life.

Bettman wii probably get pissed because it Barry took a pro fighting stance. Who gives a **** good for you Barry. Its an uphill battle you are fighting at ESPN but its a noble battle.

Old
01-30-2004, 11:20 AM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
Barry Melrose indeed ROCKS

Old
01-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Takeo

Melrose is a tool.

Old
01-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Melrose is a tool.
Barry Melrose gets people talking and is entertaining. With as many people hating him as liking him, he's doing his job well. He's like a less offensive Don Cherry in training.

Old
01-30-2004, 01:21 PM
TexSen

Anyone with a mullet must rock. Otherwise he'd just look like an idiot.

What band does he play in?

Old
01-30-2004, 04:48 PM
ColdSteelOnIce

Melrose doesn't have much of a voice for a broadcaster. He needs the mullet to live.

Old
01-30-2004, 04:51 PM
dats-13

even his fellow broadcasters make fun of him...an he contradicts himself with every word that comes out of his mouth

Old
01-30-2004, 05:02 PM
Afino
The Juice

I feel sorry for those guys that he is coaching for 1 game.

Old
01-30-2004, 11:36 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure
Barry Melrose gets people talking and is entertaining. With as many people hating him as liking him, he's doing his job well. He's like a less offensive Don Cherry in training.
I like Grapes as well.

Old
01-31-2004, 12:02 AM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
He's still an idiot but I will give him props for that.

Old
01-31-2004, 12:06 AM
Hitman*

I agree here. When it comes to hockey on ESPN you need a guy like him. All publicity is good publicity.

Old
01-31-2004, 01:54 AM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
I like Grapes as well.
Who doesn't?

Old
01-31-2004, 03:34 AM
eightspokedb
pickee chickadee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Melrose is a tool.

He and 'Panger' need to be left by the side of the road - if there were no ESPN they would be on public assistance -

Old
01-31-2004, 03:42 AM
c-carp

Who do you guys like as analists then. Idont have much use for Pang, but at least Melrose speaks his mind. You may not agree with everything and I dont either, but to me he takes a stand a sticks to it and doesnt flip flop.

Old
01-31-2004, 04:09 AM
paxtang

Quote:
Who do you guys like as analists then. Idont have much use for Pang, but at least Melrose speaks his mind. You may not agree with everything and I dont either, but to me he takes a stand a sticks to it and doesnt flip flop.
As far as his ideals about the game, he sticks to it and I have no problem with him, he's better than most of the guys on ESPN. As far as things like how a team is doing, whose goign to win this year, etc., the guy changes his mind ever other day. As soon as a team is on a roll, he's picking them to win, until they suck again. I got used to it so I just laugh it off.

Old
01-31-2004, 10:40 AM
*midnitehockey

I think Barry changes his mind about teams because of inner conflict: His instinct makes him always root for the underdog, the hard-working guy that never gets a break... but ESPN's accounting department tells him he has to talk about a .500+ team...

I think he'll do all right with the coaching... he won a Calder Cup as GM/Coach in Adirondack... maybe he could help this UHL team...

Anyway, Barry doesn't bother me anymore, he's kind of entertaining.

Old
01-31-2004, 03:52 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
I nicknamed him Bandwagon Barry a long time ago. But he is right about the fighting, especailly in that game. The Bruins needed a spark and Slegr gave them one, even if he got his butt kicked.

The problems with ESPN/ABC isn't Melrose, it's the play by play announces. Thorne is horrible. He never gets the players names right. He gets the teams confused. Same thing can be said foir Steve Levy. ESPN wants to attract news fans. The game is probably hard enough for them, then add in these morons and their continued mistakes.

Dave Strader might not scream at the top of his lungs like Thorne and Levy, bt atleast he can call a game correct.

Old
01-31-2004, 04:42 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario66
Who doesn't?
Hahah touché. By the way, where is "Pregnancyville," mario? I'll make sure to cross it off my travel itinerary.

Old
01-31-2004, 05:12 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
I nicknamed him Bandwagon Barry a long time ago. But he is right about the fighting, especailly in that game. The Bruins needed a spark and Slegr gave them one, even if he got his butt kicked.

The problems with ESPN/ABC isn't Melrose, it's the play by play announces. Thorne is horrible. He never gets the players names right. He gets the teams confused. Same thing can be said foir Steve Levy. ESPN wants to attract news fans. The game is probably hard enough for them, then add in these morons and their continued mistakes.

Dave Strader might not scream at the top of his lungs like Thorne and Levy, bt atleast he can call a game correct.
I dont like Clement as a color guy either.

Old
01-31-2004, 06:05 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
As far as his ideals about the game, he sticks to it and I have no problem with him, he's better than most of the guys on ESPN. As far as things like how a team is doing, whose goign to win this year, etc., the guy changes his mind ever other day. As soon as a team is on a roll, he's picking them to win, until they suck again. I got used to it so I just laugh it off.
You're 100% right on here. It's really nothing new for Melrose to discuss fights, their value etc., he does it all the time. But as for teams, he changes his opinion more times than he changes his socks, and contradicts himself constantly.

Old
01-31-2004, 10:07 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
You're 100% right on here. It's really nothing new for Melrose to discuss fights, their value etc., he does it all the time. But as for teams, he changes his opinion more times than he changes his socks, and contradicts himself constantly.
But at least barry discusses the fights and tries to explain to peple that they are part of the game. There are a lot of people who dont understand that and I am glad that Barry at least tries to explain it.

Old
02-01-2004, 03:13 AM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:

I get the impression that Melrose says the first thing that pops into his head, even if it contradicts something he said five minutes ago.
He's either inarticulate, clueless, or wishy-washy.

Old
02-01-2004, 03:26 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguyone
I get the impression that Melrose says the first thing that pops into his head, even if it contradicts something he said five minutes ago.
He's either inarticulate, clueless, or wishy-washy.
I dont agree, but if Barry is really that bad the rest of those ESPN guys must really suck ass.

Old
02-01-2004, 03:47 AM
paxtang

Quote:
I dont agree, but if Barry is really that bad the rest of those ESPN guys must really suck ass.
Melrose does talk out of his ass at times, but he is at least a hockey personality, something that pretty much the rest of the ESPN crew is not. I enjoy him because I've learned to just ignore his rants on the new hot time this hour, and he appreciates the tough guys, so he's ok in my book.

Old
02-01-2004, 04:14 AM
lux_interior

Melrose is alright, pretty funny and he knows hockey. I can't stand Panger. He's just an obnoxious little twit to me. Levy is good, I like his voice. I actually like Thorne, because of his voice, but he makes some embarassing gaffes. Clement clement, hands of cement. I can take him or leave him. Engblom is kind of goofy. Don't have an opinion either way on him. I don't really like Buccigross. Ray Ferraro is pretty okay.

Closed Thread