HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers Kings Postgame interviews?

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2004, 06:02 AM
goldenchild

vCash: 500
Oilers Kings Postgame interviews?

For those of us that don't live in Edm could someone relay the post game remarks from the radio? I am curious to how the Teflan Don Mact explains this one and if anyone asked him why to centers weren't on the ice for the 3-3 goal.
Thanks in advance.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:06 AM
The Rage

You can always go to 630ched.com

Old
02-01-2004, 06:15 AM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
You can always go to 630ched.com
Yeah right. The reporters in this town are:

1. Not as smart as most fans, and not even aware of the fact that only one center was on the ice for the tying goal.

2. GUTLESS, not willing to make their work environment a little less cushy by actually asking a GOOD question.

The stuff on CHED was typical;

Reporter: "So coach, this loss is pretty disappointing eh?"

MacT: "Yes, it is. We could have won, but we lost, I'd say that's disappointing."

Reporter: "True that coach, true that!"

Old
02-01-2004, 06:28 AM
nineteen79

I had know idea the media was that soft in Oil town.It's no wonder mac-t has had no real pressure on him.After tonights loss he should not be able to sleep a wink,but he will cause it's never his fault.

I know a little harsh but man some of the decisions he makes just really suck.Although Salo stunk the joint out and yes i realize he did not face many shots but he was like a beached whale out their tonight,not much Mac-T could have done about the goaltending.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:32 AM
Oiler94

Send a message via MSN to Oiler94
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild
For those of us that don't live in Edm could someone relay the post game remarks from the radio? I am curious to how the Teflan Don Mact explains this one and if anyone asked him why to centers weren't on the ice for the 3-3 goal.
Thanks in advance.
Reporter: So, what can you blame your loss on tonight?

MacT: ME. I am a horrible coach, make horrible decisions, and resign as head coach.

Oh wait, that was what I wished he'd of said..

Old
02-01-2004, 06:43 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
Yeah right. The reporters in this town are:

1. Not as smart as most fans, and not even aware of the fact that only one center was on the ice for the tying goal.

2. GUTLESS, not willing to make their work environment a little less cushy by actually asking a GOOD question.

As a guy who was actually IN the dressing room after the game with a recorder in one hand I can tell you that you know nothing about the reporters in this town.

Just because the one clip you heard on the radio you deem "soft" doesn't mean that was all that was said.

MacT was asked at the morning skate on thursday if he felt he had job security... basically "Do you think you should be fired?" and you're saying the media in Edmonton doesn't ask tough questions???

There's a way to ask the question without being an ass about it... were you expecting someone to go up to MacT and say "Gee coach, your team blew a lead with 2 minutes left to go in the game and didn't even salvage a point... what's that feel like?" NO.

I was there, you weren't.

I saw Ryan Smyth with 5 microphones in his face (one of them mine) admitting that his play was selfish and basically cost his team the game. I heard the coach asked if HE thought it was, as Smytty put it, a selfish play and I was there to hear the answer.

That room was like a tomb tonight and you expect a bunch of reporters to go waltzing in and start throwing heated questions at them? Come on! That would be like walking into a lions den after sitting in a barrel of marinade for a couple of hours.

Why would you even bother posting crap like that? Because your team lost?

Unless I'm sitting next to you at the next game, I'll kindly ask you to keep your ignorance about the Edmonton media to yourself.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:48 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

talk about the gloves coming off even guyf is frustrated. you know this team is struggling when?????

Old
02-01-2004, 06:54 AM
nineteen79

If the players are as pissed as the board is our next opponet might want to lookout.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:57 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
answer.

That room was like a tomb tonight .
And that's exactly what's wrong with this team. That's the kind of game that should have people wound up, not sitting there listless. It's the kind of game that should have a coach going absolutely beserk, but of course, alot of it is his fault, and it's the kind of game where people should actually SAY SOMETHING in interviews, instead of the usual cop-outs.

Smytty should've taken the blame tonight, it's about time he start acting with some semblance of leadership. It's not enough now though. Too many dog-it nights this year.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:58 AM
goldenchild

Quote:
I was there, you weren't.

I saw Ryan Smyth with 5 microphones in his face (one of them mine) admitting that his play was selfish and basically cost his team the game. I heard the coach asked if HE thought it was, as Smytty put it, a selfish play and I was there to hear the answer.

That room was like a tomb tonight and you expect a bunch of reporters to go waltzing in and start throwing heated questions at them? Come on! That would be like walking into a lions den after sitting in a barrel of marinade for a couple of hours.

Guy obviously a frustrated room any mention by mactavish on the last couple of minutes and why only Horecoff was out ther for the draw?

Also what was Salo like after the game?

Old
02-01-2004, 07:00 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineteen79
If the players are as pissed as the board is our next opponet might want to lookout.
Judging by what Guy observed tonight, the players sound a lot closer to defeated than pissed.

As much as we'd like reporters to rip into players and coaches after losses (and seasons) like this, come on guys. Put yourself in a reporter's shoes. Sure you can be an ass and embarrass the interviewee, but IMO very few guys can get away with that and expect a long career in the business.

Old
02-01-2004, 07:24 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
As much as we'd like reporters to rip into players and coaches after losses (and seasons) like this, come on guys. Put yourself in a reporter's shoes. Sure you can be an ass and embarrass the interviewee, but IMO very few guys can get away with that and expect a long career in the business.
Exactly.

The room was not opened right away and several back room meetings were going on so most players were not to be seen after the game at all. I was in a scrum with Smyth, Laraque and Stoll... there was one with Pisani and I think Staios but I wasn't in those. I also talked for about 3 minutes alone with Mike Bishai.

Most of the other guys were in and out very quickly.

MacT took a while to come out obviously because he was super pissed off but also I'm guessing because he was seeing players in his office. (MY assumption, no facts there).

I wouldn't say the players seemed defeated though Digger, I'd descibe it more as stunned silence. Shock. I mean seriously, no one expected that game to end up like that when they had the lead with 2 minutes to go. That was a hugely devastating loss. This might be the game that gets remembered and talked about in July and throughout next year the way the loss in Atlanta 2 years was constantly brought up last season.

Old
02-01-2004, 07:31 AM
Digger12

Quote:
I wouldn't say the players seemed defeated though Digger, I'd descibe it more as stunned silence. Shock. I mean seriously, no one expected that game to end up like that when they had the lead with 2 minutes to go. That was a hugely devastating loss. This might be the game that gets remembered and talked about in July and throughout next year the way the loss in Atlanta 2 years was constantly brought up last season.
That makes sense. Hell, I'd be stunned as hell too...scratch that, I WAS stunned as hell.

I'll be very curious to see how the papers report this today and monday. This has to be the shock that begins changes, or at least I'd hope it would be.

Old
02-01-2004, 07:40 AM
momentai

I can bet that for a lot of the "veterans", they've been stunned like this before. Last year wasn't one of the Oilers' best years in terms of defending 1,2 or even 3 goal leads. I can remember games in San Jose and L.A. in particular where the Oilers self destructed in the third.

Are they shocked? Most likely. But it's not as if this has happened for the first time with them.

Old
02-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Oiler94

Send a message via MSN to Oiler94
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
I can bet that for a lot of the "veterans", they've been stunned like this before. Last year wasn't one of the Oilers' best years in terms of defending 1,2 or even 3 goal leads. I can remember games in San Jose and L.A. in particular where the Oilers self destructed in the third.

Are they shocked? Most likely. But it's not as if this has happened for the first time with them.
Ya, they were absolutely horrible about losing leads last year..

Old
02-01-2004, 01:05 PM
Saabato

Why did Hemsky only play 7 minutes last night. You can't win with your best player not playing. Is he being benched or did he get hurt? Am I missing something?

Old
02-01-2004, 01:12 PM
pucklove

Somewhere on this board they refered to a bad play on an L.A. goal. thats it takes now I guess.

Old
02-01-2004, 02:50 PM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucklove
Somewhere on this board they refered to a bad play on an L.A. goal. thats it takes now I guess.
yah well horcoff should be gone than, i dont know why people say he has such a good defensive game, he cant do anything right,
one nice pass behind the net to pisani is nto going to make him good because he loses the puck and gives it away way to many times, so why isnt he sitting because mac t would make him captain if smith werent here probably.

Closed Thread