HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hotstove tonight...

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2004, 01:04 AM
Seachd

vCash: 500
Hotstove tonight...

They were mentioning (although they didn't seem particularly interested) that Lowe may be looking at moving Smyth, Staios, and Salo (among others, I'm sure). With Staios, they were saying that he might have so much value right now, it might be wise to get something for him.

I was thinking... Imagine what a different team this would be without those 3 guys. I know Salo doesn't have a lot of friends around here anymore, but I'm still a fan of his and always will be. Even if you don't like him, you'd have to admit, the face of this team would be very different without him.

Anyway, it sounds stupid, but it just hit me like a brick. This team could very easily be sellers in the next month or so, and by the time next year rolls around, the changes could be even more drastic than last season's.

Old
02-01-2004, 01:09 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
They were mentioning (although they didn't seem particularly interested) that Lowe may be looking at moving Smyth, Staios, and Salo (among others, I'm sure). With Staios, they were saying that he might have so much value right now, it might be wise to get something for him.

I was thinking... Imagine what a different team this would be without those 3 guys. I know Salo doesn't have a lot of friends around here anymore, but I'm still a fan of his and always will be. Even if you don't like him, you'd have to admit, the face of this team would be very different without him.

Anyway, it sounds stupid, but it just hit me like a brick. This team could very easily be sellers in the next month or so, and by the time next year rolls around, the changes could be even more drastic than last season's.
JD mentions that Staios would look good with the Rangers. Staios likes it in Edmonton. That's why he signed the contract extension prior to the HC. I don't see Staios going anywhere. I can see Salo being traded and that's iffy.

I can tell you if the Oilers trade anyone, the fans will once again criticize Lowe. What else is new? To honestly tell you, I can't see the Oilers trading anyone. The funny thing is that the players mentioned, Staios and Smyth are under contract and the Oilers hold the option on Salo's contract.

02-01-2004, 01:09 AM
Matts

If you deal Staios

that that day or the very next you have to annouce that Smith has been signed to a deal simliar to 24's. I'd rather keep Smith over Staios if for nothing else that MacT won't overuse 21 like he will with 24.

Old
02-01-2004, 01:11 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I think my favourite Dman is expendable now that Brewer has found his game and Ulanov/ Semenov have formed a solid 3/4 unit. Moving Staios likely means Smith stays. So maybe listen to offers for them both and see who garners more of a return. I dont see Smyth being moved, I think that his value has gone down lately, but I dont think trading him has ever crossed KLO's mind, KLO would be wise to trade someone else and get a decent centreman to stick between Smyth and Hemsky. How about Staois for Gomez with spare parts added to make it driveable.

Old
02-01-2004, 01:14 AM
Matts

Devils defense is very, very solid

great top four if Stevens is healthy and the only way they consider that move is if Stevens was ruled out for the rest of the season.

Old
02-01-2004, 02:16 AM
metallicat
@metallicat51

If Staios gets dealt now, I am going to be mighty pissed off.

Old
02-01-2004, 02:54 AM
sluggo*

The first thing I thought when I heard that is "what would it take".

What do you guys (Oilers fans) think it would take for the Leafs get Staios out of Edmonton (assume he is avaible for the sake of this).

Old
02-01-2004, 03:03 AM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
The first thing I thought when I heard that is "what would it take".

What do you guys (Oilers fans) think it would take for the Leafs get Staios out of Edmonton (assume he is avaible for the sake of this).
I don't know how to answer that except that he is definetely worth more than picks and prospects. I would expect a decent player in return.

Old
02-01-2004, 03:19 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
I don't know how to answer that except that he is definetely worth more than picks and prospects. I would expect a decent player in return.
Or if we are getting a prospect back, somebody like Colaicovo would need to be involved.

Old
02-01-2004, 03:31 AM
Mr Sakich

Lowe is a very loyal guy. Staios isn't going anywhere, neither is cross or ethan. I even doubt that he would trade smyth. The only eason why I keep thinking it will be smith is that he has not signed a long term deal and you can bet that lowe has been trying for a while.

Lowe has not traded one of "his" guys yet. All the guys who have left are sather's guys. Salo is probably the first of his guys to be dealt.

Old
02-01-2004, 03:33 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Was it Strachan that said Staios might be moved? I forget who suggested, but whichever guy said it mentioned that the reason Staios might move would be that he has a lot of value right now.

If Staios is moving, it had better be something *special* coming back our way. If it's something you even have to think about, then the answer is probably "no", on account of it's a lousy way to reward a guy for signing a contract extension.

Old
02-01-2004, 03:39 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Was it Strachan that said Staios might be moved? I forget who suggested, but whichever guy said it mentioned that the reason Staios might move would be that he has a lot of value right now.

If Staios is moving, it had better be something *special* coming back our way. If it's something you even have to think about, then the answer is probably "no", on account of it's a lousy way to reward a guy for signing a contract extension.
Strachan mentioned Staios and Smyth being traded. JD then said Staios would fit in perfectly with the NY Rangers. JD also mentioned that Staios can play 30 minutes a game. Strachan then mentioned that the Oilers aren't having a fire sale. Strachan also mentioned that Staios and Smyth could be moved in the right deal. To me the right deal might mean the other team overpaying.

There was another guy who said the Oilers might trade Salo. The way Salo is being criticized by fans (hint: Dennis from Oilfans.com) and being called the Swedish Sieve, KL might be forced to trade Salo. In any trade of Salo, the Oilers would have to get a goaltender back that will help now.

Old
02-01-2004, 04:04 AM
Matts

What would it take to get Staios?

Well hard to say with Lowe. If it's like the rest of his moves it's lateral at best and never address a real need, ie centre and netminder.

The whole thing tonight smacked of guys not doing their homework. Strachan said Staios can play "30-35 min a night". I had to wipe my eyes as I thought somehow MacT had taken the form of Strachan. Playing close to 30 min a night is why Staios has play has suffered lately, IMO.

Plus I'm all for signing Smith long term and peddling Staios but the boys never mentioned that would have to happen before such a deal took place.

As for Salo being dealt, I don't know why in name of gawd anyone would want him. I guess maybe as a Swedish translater but not to play net.

He's putting on quite a show again tonight and his recent hot streak couldn't even propel him to the lofty heights of the .900 sv pct.

I doubt the OIlers could get Antripov or Tellquist but that's what I'd like to see happen. Depends though on how much the Leaves want to go for it as they could deal off their young tender prospect and say shag it they're going for it.

I know Staios can give you a good 20 so if they picked him up along with Wesley again, which is being mentioned, and added those guys and dropped the 5th and 6th dmen from tonight's game out of their lineup, then it would give them a damn solid defense.

Last edited by Matts: 02-01-2004 at 04:06 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old
02-01-2004, 04:26 AM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Tellquist
THAT would be a good pickup, reminds me of the Kiprusoff deal!

Old
02-01-2004, 08:05 AM
oilforme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
Well hard to say with Lowe. If it's like the rest of his moves it's lateral at best and never address a real need, ie centre and netminder.

The whole thing tonight smacked of guys not doing their homework. Strachan said Staios can play "30-35 min a night". I had to wipe my eyes as I thought somehow MacT had taken the form of Strachan. Playing close to 30 min a night is why Staios has play has suffered lately, IMO.

Plus I'm all for signing Smith long term and peddling Staios but the boys never mentioned that would have to happen before such a deal took place.
I'm in total agreement here.

I'm at all the games and Staios' game is going downhill. He's not good enough or strong enough to play the big minutes and won't be able to on any other team either. He make 2. million each of the next two years which if you look at Smith's 2.3 million, is overpaying. I think he's a solid dman but overrated here.

If you can do it you sign Smith and trade Staios as the Oil cant afford what will be 2 million for Staios, over 2.3 for Smith and over 2.5 for Brewer.

As for Brewer, he's playing much stronger but still hasn't proven to be a consistant top guy.He's looking good now partly because he looked so bad earlier this year. Hasn't shown to be consistantly developing.

2.5 million for a negative +/- and how many points and he's into his 6th year in the NHL while 3 other dmen on the team are outscoring him.

Old
02-01-2004, 01:53 PM
hb6947
Hooked Since '78

I'll say it again, Niniima and a player (Bates(D) or Pappineau(O), in other words two special teams guys) or pick for Brewer is still on the table. Niniima is still a good point producer and has a mean streak. I personally like him but I think having him here disrupted Hamrliks game and thats too bad because it be great to have both but the truth is we need a younger (we have no young defensinve depth ready in Bridgeport) dman that hits and can clear the crease more than another offensive D-man. But I realize it hard to move Brewer as we did it and I didn't like it at first. Dosen't bother me now as he isn't nearly as good as Hammer and I only want him back now because he may be able to provide a stay at home physical player we definitly need.

Closed Thread