HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Hey GuyF, can we get an update on Rita?

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2004, 09:29 PM
Slats432

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
had to laugh as usual at you doggyboy. im curious do you even have a life, you spend so much time analyzing and degrading posts i wonder if you even take a bathroom break.
anyhou yeah your right maybe i should be in the oilers office looking for a job, as LMHF#1 was once told as well. im not going to drone on a thread, unlike yourself, i just happen to disagree with you, thats all. i dont give a crap about your opinion, i just believe the oilers are going to regret the mistake of not giving rita a chance, end of story. in other words the mistake of giving another young player his walking papers will haunt this team once again, a la miroslav satan.
I have to agree with Lowetide. In no way should your post ever be to denegrate another poster. Either keep it civil or I think I speak for most when I would rather not see you post.

I agree with your Rita stance for the most part, as for everything else. Give it a rest.

Old
01-31-2004, 09:46 PM
windowlicker

Depending on how Rita does tonite, (for that matter, if he plays even), this topic may start to rival the Prospect Stats thread.

Old
01-31-2004, 10:03 PM
Bohologo

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Depending on how Rita does tonite, (for that matter, if he plays even), this topic may start to rival the Prospect Stats thread.
Which might say a great deal about how some Oilers fans really want Rita to pan out. Aside from Hemsky, there really hasn't been an impact first rounder for this team since Arnott & Smyth first broke in, and that was almost a decade ago. If Rita blooms, maybe there's hope for Mikhnov, Niinimaki, Pouliot et al, right? Rita is the vehicle for all our Oilers HF hopes!

Um, no pressure, kid.

Old
01-31-2004, 10:43 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Man, this is a long thread. I'm not going to get into it right now but I feel a little left out. It's usually me sparring with dawgbone most of the time. I have a couple of arguments to make here.. but I don't really want to make this thread any longer than it currently is... so I'll let it slide.
Ive had my share of runins with him too He doesnt do much for making friends on here with his adversarial approach to expressing his thoughts

As far as Rita goes I kinda think both sides are right...I do think he hasn't been given a fair shot compared to others who have one way contracts...and he hasnt really done too much in the minors to force the Oiler brass to justify a call-up...I hope he gets a shot tonight and does well and the Oilers win too....

Man, how is that for wishy washy!!!!

Old
02-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Matts

Rita's close to plus 10 on a bad team

I think it's because his line creates more offense than it allows and that doesn't make him Frank Selke but it doesn't make him Jason Chimera either.

With the way this team has played like a joke for long stretches of the season it's odd that Rita hasn't been called up and now that he has I think we'll see him receive another screwjob.

I guess I've seen him over 20 games in the A now and I think I know his tendancies as well as anyone who posts here. He's not great defensively but he's fast and strong and given good linemates he will create offensive chances.

Of course if he does get a shot here he'll be on a line with 27 and maybe Stoll or Bisahi,

Old
02-01-2004, 01:17 AM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
I think it's because his line creates more offense than it allows and that doesn't make him Frank Selke but it doesn't make him Jason Chimera either.

With the way this team has played like a joke for long stretches of the season it's odd that Rita hasn't been called up and now that he has I think we'll see him receive another screwjob.

I guess I've seen him over 20 games in the A now and I think I know his tendancies as well as anyone who posts here. He's not great defensively but he's fast and strong and given good linemates he will create offensive chances.

Of course if he does get a shot here he'll be on a line with 27 and maybe Stoll or Bisahi,
Thats one thing Ill give MacT credit for, hes a master at utilizing specific players strenghts.

Old
02-01-2004, 01:18 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrush
yah and how is rita suppose to help a team when he gets pratically no ice time? you expect him to put up a goal a game with an avg ice time of 9.32?? you expect him to carry a team on his shoulders by himself? of course he isnt going to help the oilers win every game, how is he suppose to? and how is he suppose to help the team with his linemates and his role? and also when rita got a point he was a plus player, so obviously he at least tried to help the oilers win but its not his fault the team sucked.
Yeah, I am aware that those games weren't his fault... in fact I stated that they weren't his fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Obviously these games aren't his fault, that is not the point of this.

The point is, even with his torrid goal scoring pace, he didn't do much to help the Oilers did he?
What I stated was while Rita was scoring, it wasn't doing much of anything in terms of helping the team win. In the end, that is the more important stat. His 3goals 1 assist would have been more impressive and probably more of a signal that he was NHL ready if the oilers were 3-1 in games he got a point, not 1-3 and not 5 games below .500. That is one thing coaches have to look at... does this player make my team better? It's arguable, based on the record, that Rita did that.

Quote:
DATE OPP RESULT G A PTS +/-
2/15 @MON L 2-3 1 0 1 2
2/18 @PIT L 3-4 0 1 1 1
2/20 @DET L 2-6 1 0 1 1
1/22 DET W 4-3 1 0 1 1
2/23 ATL T 3-3 0 0 0 -1
1/30 @VAN T 3-3 0 0 0 -1
1/24 PHO L 1-5 0 0 0 -1

+/- doesnt tell the whole story but look at it for a moment,
in a 2-3 lost to MON he was a plus 2 , he was on the ice for the oilers two goals in which he scored one and MON got 3 goals and he wasnt on the ice for any of them. guess he didnt help much?
in a lost he was plus 1, pit scored 4 times, oilers scored 3, he was still a plus meaning he didnt do any wrong there either. Im not going to go into much depth, but your point saying he didnt help the oilers is wrong, because he contributed to the team and didnt ever cost us a game meaning he did help the oilers.
But then you go and ignore that in two 3-3 ties, he was -1. Now, would you rather have his 2 goal +2 effort in the 3-3 tie against Vancouver, or the 0 point -1 effort? Likewise, would your rather his 2 goal +2 effort in a 3-2 loss to Montreal, or a 0 point -1 effort in a game they lost. Were his numbers decent for 12 games with just under 10 minutes of ice per game, yes. Did his numbers help the Oilers? No.

Old
02-01-2004, 01:47 AM
windowlicker

Quote:
Yeah, I am aware that those games weren't his fault... in fact I stated that they weren't his fault.

What I stated was while Rita was scoring, it wasn't doing much of anything in terms of helping the team win. In the end, that is the more important stat. His 3goals 1 assist would have been more impressive and probably more of a signal that he was NHL ready if the oilers were 3-1 in games he got a point, not 1-3 and not 5 games below .500. That is one thing coaches have to look at... does this player make my team better? It's arguable, based on the record, that Rita did that.

But then you go and ignore that in two 3-3 ties, he was -1. Now, would you rather have his 2 goal +2 effort in the 3-3 tie against Vancouver, or the 0 point -1 effort? Likewise, would your rather his 2 goal +2 effort in a 3-2 loss to Montreal, or a 0 point -1 effort in a game they lost. Were his numbers decent for 12 games with just under 10 minutes of ice per game, yes. Did his numbers help the Oilers? No.
Why all this hate towards Jani Rita? I mean, I severely dislike Shawn Horcoff, but I have a reason to do so. Why no love for Jani? What did he do to deserve such strong opposition?

Old
02-01-2004, 01:53 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Why all this hate towards Jani Rita? I mean, I severely dislike Shawn Horcoff, but I have a reason to do so. Why no love for Jani? What did he do to deserve such strong opposition?
Asked and answered, several times in this thread...

And it isn't hatred... far from it, it's disappointment because he should be in the NHL right now, and it's no one's fault but his own.

Old
02-01-2004, 01:59 AM
windowlicker

Quote:
he should be in the NHL right now, and it's no one's fault but his own.
Ouch..... even thought I strongly disagree with that particular statement, Ill just let it go in hopes this thread somehow slows down to a halt.
Anyways, 6 minuets 'till game time in a very Must win. Hey, I wonder if Rita will play .

Old
02-01-2004, 02:04 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Ouch..... even thought I strongly disagree with that particular statement, Ill just let it go in hopes this thread somehow slows down to a halt.
Anyways, 6 minuets 'till game time in a very Must win. Hey, I wonder if Rita will play .
really?

I wouldn't have guessed

Hey, I hope the Oilers go on a tear and he is a part of it... I'll gladly give Rita his props. He can do it, but it's up to him to do it.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:02 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

gee im impressed you own your company gee buddy i test blood,saliva and goo for a living i dont expect kudos for it.
you have my opinion on the matter i apologize for the personal attack. good luck mact clone.

Old
02-01-2004, 02:29 PM
dawgbone

Well considering you attacked my "lack of a life" I figured I would answer you on that...

God, I am sick of this crap.

You don't make comments questioning something, then after getting a response to it you don't sit there and say "Whoop de doo, aren't you special".

What are you 5?

Grow up.

Old
02-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Lowetide

I've had enough guys, sorry. Like you both, and really enjoy reading your posts.

Closed Thread