HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rumor: Habs interested in Sundin

Old
02-22-2008, 11:19 PM
znk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
You Sir are the Voice of Reason! Either way i dont want Sundin here in MTL. I want nothing from Toronto to contribute to our next Cup win and then have some TO fans tell us that "We couldnt have done it without help from Toronto" type of cr*ppola...
I kinda have the opposite view....can you imagine all the taunting the leaf fans would have to live through if Sundin won a cup in Montreal. It would be so funny.

znk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 11:20 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
is that what you're worried about ?

I'm worried about McDonagh and some yet to be determined first rounder ripping us apart in 5 years for the privilege of a Sundin assisted first round loss to a stacked Pens team.
gainey's not an idiot

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Peter Puck

The cost of getting Sundin is vey hard to predict. Supposedly he is going to give Fletcher a list of teams for which he would waive his NTC. This list is likely going to be quite short (possibly empty). Not all the teams on the list will be willing to give up a lot (like us). This is especially true since everyone believes this is a pure rental and Sundin will re-sign with the Leafs. Thus Fletcher may not have a lot of room to maneuver. On the other hand, he is pretty much forced to trade Sundin if he can.

All these factors push down Sundin's value. It may get pushed pretty low and there is nothing the Leafs can do. Their fans will not be happy if it transpires that Sundin agreed to waive his NTC but he doesn't get traded.

Peter Puck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Count me in on the Richards bandwagon too. His contract isn't that bad in a 55 M cap and it's right in line with what Gomez/Drury signed last summer. He can be Koivu's long-term ''replacement'' as well. On top of that, Jay Feaster has never been in a position where he has to sell off such a big piece at such a high salary, so he may be ripe for the picking.
7.8 is horrible for Brad Richards. He makes more than Pronger, Lidstrom, Iginla, Niedermayer... Sorry, but he's nowhere near an 8 million dollar player.

Besides the guy has mono and isn't healthy. Getting him would be a really bad move.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I kinda have the opposite view....can you imagine all the taunting the leaf fans would have to live through if Sundin won a cup in Montreal. It would be so funny.
yeah but gainey's not making trades based on habs (or leafs) fans being able to taunt each other

Old
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
Quote:
is that what you're worried about ?

I'm worried about McDonagh and some yet to be determined first rounder ripping us apart in 5 years for the privilege of a Sundin assisted first round loss to a stacked Pens team.
Your are on the button with that one: McDo is our next Chelios/Komi type d-man and in NO way he should be traded.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
yep and fletcher confronted him in naples and said he's not trading sundin to the habs - 'so stop the rumors'
Where did you hear that?

Edit: More of Berger being exposed as a fool: http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008...or_sundin.html

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 11:25 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I'd Rather have Hossa then Sundin because Hossa is a franchise player, and hes way younger.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Yeah but still.. the fact that the winning factor in this case would be a former Leaf player is just unpalatable to me.

I've hated the Leafs since my parents told me to when i was four and thats 47 years ago now.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 11:34 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
yep and fletcher confronted him in naples and said he's not trading sundin to the habs - 'so stop the rumors'
didn't hear that, but even this week Berger was predicting that Montreal is as likely destination as any.

Reported was Fletcher's sitdown with Sundin on Thursday to discuss the creation of a list of teams he would accept a trade to.

I'd love to see that list, as it completely dictates Fletcher's actions, denials or not.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 11:35 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Yeah but still.. the fact that the winning factor in this case would be a former Leaf player is just unpalatable to me.

I've hated the Leafs since my parents told me to when i was four and thats 47 years ago now.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 11:38 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'd Rather have Hossa then Sundin because Hossa is a franchise player, and hes way younger.
Not only that but HES A LEAF and Hossa just rocks harder, and will rock harder for years to come. Sundin is gonna pass out from exhaustion retire and go to Toronto after the playoffs just to screw us over.

Old
02-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Puck View Post
The cost of getting Sundin is vey hard to predict. Supposedly he is going to give Fletcher a list of teams for which he would waive his NTC. This list is likely going to be quite short (possibly empty). Not all the teams on the list will be willing to give up a lot (like us). This is especially true since everyone believes this is a pure rental and Sundin will re-sign with the Leafs. Thus Fletcher may not have a lot of room to maneuver. On the other hand, he is pretty much forced to trade Sundin if he can.

All these factors push down Sundin's value. It may get pushed pretty low and there is nothing the Leafs can do. Their fans will not be happy if it transpires that Sundin agreed to waive his NTC but he doesn't get traded.
That's what I was thinking about. But then again, you can't low ball Fletcher if you have some integrity.

Also, let say the best offer is Locke and 4th round pick, if I'm Sundin I wouldn't feel wanted and could refuse to move. But again, I have a hard time believing Sundin, being a competitor, will not move from Toronto and do like Bourque did.

You also have to think that a time like Ottawa would try to rise to market for the sole reason of screwing Montreal.

I think 2 young players and 2 picks is too much for a none-open market but I doubt Halak-Ryder and 2nd will be enough.

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 11:57 PM
emb24*

it was mentioned numerous times on 110% and on RDS..by montreal reporters who were in naples and saw fletcher confront berger. i think it was marc du foy and i don't remember the other

Old
02-23-2008, 12:03 AM
emb24*

i think the habs want hossa or tanguay..not an offensive center like jokinen or sundin

Old
02-23-2008, 12:17 AM
Peter Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra View Post
That's what I was thinking about. But then again, you can't low ball Fletcher if you have some integrity.

Also, let say the best offer is Locke and 4th round pick, if I'm Sundin I wouldn't feel wanted and could refuse to move. But again, I have a hard time believing Sundin, being a competitor, will not move from Toronto and do like Bourque did.

You also have to think that a time like Ottawa would try to rise to market for the sole reason of screwing Montreal.

I think 2 young players and 2 picks is too much for a none-open market but I doubt Halak-Ryder and 2nd will be enough.
Okay Locke + a 4th is too little. But maybe rights to Perezhogen, Cote and a 2nd. That's not much but as I say Fletcher would have to do it if its the best offer. I agree Ottawa would offer more but again maybe their not on Sundin's list.

Peter Puck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 01:15 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

They want to give Koivu a heavy awesome Impact winger for koivu. Plain and Simple

Old
02-23-2008, 06:45 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
gainey's not an idiot
You are right, but Gainey is trying to lift Hossa or Sundin while preserving the current roster. McDonagh's name will inevitably come up in discussions of that type.

Everyone that pines for a big name trade should be careful what they ask for, because McDonagh might be the price that is paid.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 09:01 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Everyone that pines for a big name trade should be careful what they ask for, because McDonagh might be the price that is paid.
If I'm Cliff, he's part of my asking price.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 09:09 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
If I'm Cliff, he's part of my asking price.
I don't put any stock into a potential trade between the Habs and the Buds, so this discussion is purely academic as far as I'm concerned. That said, the Leafs can ask for whatever they like in return for Mats, but Gainey is not going to toss valuable assets away for what would be true playoff rental. Picks and mid level prospects maybe, but not a blue chipper like McDonagh.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I don't put any stock into a potential trade between the Habs and the Buds, so this discussion is purely academic as far as I'm concerned. That said, the Leafs can ask for whatever they like in return for Mats, but Gainey is not going to toss valuable assets away for what would be true playoff rental. Picks and mid level prospects maybe, but not a blue chipper like McDonagh.
McDonagh isn't even considered a blue chipper by most GMs and scouts.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

I'm sure we'll see Sundin in a Habs uni soon this is how I figure it. It's not very ofter that you would hear Gainey mention that he "wouldn't be opposed to the possibility or a rental." I feel he was warming us up for this deal.
When mentioning that that there is 3 offers on the table for others and "We'll wait and see if they want to dance ..but nothing so far"
Is saying that that don't get your hopes up for a Hossa because it isn't happening but there is at least an offer (To satisfy us and the media)
So I figure it's going to be Sundin because Gilmour another Leaf captain as we all know played for us has nothing but good things to say about our team ,,,How classy our organization is in general and how we basically just gave him back to the leafs just because we're nice guys lol
Also he says that Koivu is total class.
The word is that sundin wants to stay in the east I believe that all of this is just hindering on "Who is going the other way"

Just a thought this morning ...no bashing lol

Habsfan2992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 09:20 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby View Post
McDonagh isn't even considered a blue chipper by most GMs and scouts.
Not sure which GMs and scouts you're referring to, but if that is in fact accurate, then they'd be wrong IMO.

Old
02-23-2008, 09:42 AM
habfan4

Living in Toronto and following the Sundin story on a daily basis (more like minute to minute with the coverage), I'm not convinced Mats will go anywhere. The guy genuinely likes playing in Toronto and I don't doubt his sincerity when he says he doesn't want to be traded.

Old
02-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Not sure which GMs and scouts you're referring to, but if that is in fact accurate, then they'd be wrong IMO.
The people that had him pegged to go in the 2nd half of a weak draft, and are still labeling him a 4th defenceman.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote