HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Briere needs to be a healthy scratch.

Old
02-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Adam Warlock

vCash: 500
Briere needs to be a healthy scratch.

I cant take him anymore. He is completley invisible and is getting worse as the season goes on. There is not ONE thing he contributes to the team.

5 on 5 he is completley invisible and ineffective. He coughs the puck up constantly, he gets knocked off the puck when the other team sneezes on him, and his linemates dont know *** to do when hes on the ice. People blame him not having good linemates as an excuse, but hes been with everyone on the team at some point this year...so clearly he is the problem.

Defensively he is a liability, as his -20 shows. He has zero defensive mind...and when hes not even producing offense...thats a problem! He doesnt kill penalties, so hes not valuable there either.

On the PP is the only place hes had success this year, and hes been really bad at even that latley.

And when he gets a big chance in the shootout...a chance to contribute to the team in a big way...in a situation where his "amazing skill" is supposed to shine...one on one with a goalie...he cant even get that done! It is one thing if he made a decent attempt like giroux...but he didnt even ****in try!!!

If a player like hartnell, or richards, or umberger, or lupul, or whoever isnt producing offensivly...AT LEAST they can contribute in other ways. They can go out and be physical, create energy, play defensivly, kill penalties...DO SOMETHING that actually benefits the team!!!

I am sorry, but this signing was a mistake...I was against it from the beginning, and now I am more sure of it then ever.

Scratch his ass for a few games, maybe that will wake it up. I do believe he is the wrong player for this teams style, but hes not even trying anymore. It is frustrating to watch players like cannon or umberger or kapanen or upshall pour there hearts into the game...and watch this POS roam around the rink with his lackadaisical attitude!!

[/rant]

Adam Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 09:41 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
well that didn't take too long. Let's just lock this one like all the others.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 09:44 PM
TheKingPin

im not too sure that this is a horrible idea. he needs to change something. maybe show tapes of Gionta or St. Louis. These guys are little and effective, they dont try to play the big guy game they play to their advantage> Briere gets pushed off the puck so easily these guys do not give them that option.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Adam Warlock

Quote:
well that didn't take too long. Let's just lock this one like all the others.
Why lock it? There is a very legit argument against him. There can be billions of posts bashing Stevens...but we cant bash one of the real problems with this team?

Old
FlyersMania2

Briere needs to regain his confidence. It's not like he WANTS to go out there and underperform. Even if he didn't want to play for us and wanted to play elsewhere- purposefully sucking isn't going to help you get picked up faster.

I truly don't feel like he wants to be the villain. Scoring goals is fun, being happy while doing something you love is reason enough to try. He looks disappointed in himself, and I am not saying that he is not to fault at all I am simply saying that I doubt he wants to be -20 and on a scoring drought.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
7 more years... *vomits*

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Adam Warlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Briere needs to regain his confidence. It's not like he WANTS to go out there and underperform. Even if he didn't want to play for us and wanted to play elsewhere- purposefully sucking isn't going to help you get picked up faster.

I truly don't feel like he wants to be the villain. Scoring goals is fun, being happy while doing something you love is reason enough to try. He looks disappointed in himself, and I am not saying that he is not to fault at all I am simply saying that I doubt he wants to be -20 and on a scoring drought.
I doubt he wants to either...and i dont think he's doing it purposely. My point is everyone on this team has gone through a scoring drought but have found other ways to contribute. Hartnell couldnt find the net at all in the start of the year, but he still played hard and physical, and eventually got on the right track. Briere isnt adjusting his play at all, and if anything is making players around him worse.

Old
02-19-2008, 09:54 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I doubt he wants to either...and i dont think he's doing it purposely. My point is everyone on this team has gone through a scoring drought but have found other ways to contribute. Hartnell couldnt find the net at all in the start of the year, but he still played hard and physical, and eventually got on the right track. Briere isnt adjusting his play at all, and if anything is making players around him worse.
Yeah but we brought him in to play the way he has played his whole career. Look at the Phoenix stats prior to him going to Buffalo. I said all these things when people wanted Briere to begin with...that he is soft and a great playmaker but not great two way player.

Hartnell is playing the same game he played in Nashville, it just took him longer to get his scoring touch here.

I am not disappointed in Briere right now, bc he is playing the way he has always played, and I didn't expect much more.

For all the people who deem him as the anti-christ, it's just sad. He is a talented player but is being shut down and because of that frustration, he lacks confidence...his lack of confidence has caused him to question himself and that is where he stands right now.

Old
02-19-2008, 09:55 PM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

Ummmm he played pretty well tonight!!!

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Raffl House

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange and black48 View Post
Yeah, especially when we was just rocked off the puck in the 3rd period. Loved how he flubbed during the shootout, too. Worth every penny of the 10 million he's getting this year.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 09:57 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Stevens and a First for Lindy Ruff

I'd do it

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 09:58 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange and black48 View Post
Yeah I don't think he looked bad tonight. He went for it on that lucky save by Emery...weaved in through traffic like he did in the start of the season.

Old
02-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Shoeny

it would help if he got a consistent line. Upshall and him worked well in the third, hopefully we them together on thursday

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:04 PM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethunder View Post
Yeah, especially when we was just rocked off the puck in the 3rd period. Loved how he flubbed during the shootout, too. Worth every penny of the 10 million he's getting this year.
Jumping ship on him, eh?

Jeez give the man a chance. NO ONE is playing particularly amazing right now. The dude has a new linemate every game. Sometimes even I cant understand the Philly philosophy of "What have you don for me lately?"!

And if you don't think he looked good in the third (before that the whole team looked suck-o) then you're crazy. He set up and had a few very nice chances!

Old
02-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Mike Richards 18

hes so scared of contact, he didnt even get a shot in the shootout, its so frustrating b/c even thou we are not happy with his performance hes here no matter what for seven years unless he finally gets tired of struggling and asks out other wise hes here for a while.

timmonen has struggled at times as well besides his two goals tonite but he took some penalties that on one hand were good and on the other hand were unneccesary in the end

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Might do him some good.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:11 PM
flyersfan97

I'm not reading this thread as it will only cause me more gray hairs, so I'll just say this and be gone: Danny does not need to be benched. He is a veteran NHL player and does not need to be "taught a lesson." As I said earlier in a different thread, no one is more disappointed in his play than he is. He needs to regain his confidence, and sitting his butt on the bench ain't gonna do that. In closing, I will add that if Danny Briere gets benched before Vandermeer I will personally drive down to the Flyers next practice and puke on John Steven's shoes/skates/glasses.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:11 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
he had a good move and the puck bounced...that's it.

plenty of the guys aren't getting bounces right now. the differense with Briere from some of the other top players on the Flyers is that he is not an overly physical player who can go out and make big hits or start the occasional fight. he relies on his offense and if he is a little snake bitten, he is going to look bad out there.

just keep putting him out there and him and this team will turn it around.

FlyersGuy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:12 PM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
I'm not reading this thread as it will only cause me more gray hairs, so I'll just say this and be gone: Danny does not need to be benched. He is a veteran NHL player and does not need to be "taught a lesson." As I said earlier in a different thread, no one is more disappointed in his play than he is. He needs to regain his confidence, and sitting his butt on the bench ain't gonna do that. In closing, I will add that if Danny Briere gets benched before Vandermeer I will personally drive down to the Flyers next practice and puke on John Steven's shoes/skates/glasses.
Thank you. I agree completely!!!

Old
02-19-2008, 10:19 PM
McNasty

Player has zero confidence...HF Solution=Bench him.....It's a wonder some of you guys haven't been hired as NHL coaches. There are plenty of good players in the NHL who aren't good on defense, **** Spezza and Heatley aren't even close to good defenders but Alfreddson is, I don't see why Stevens just doesn't tell Hartnell ok you have to play defense down low since Danny is struggling.

I agree Briere had a pretty solid night tonight

McNasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:23 PM
27roenick97

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethunder View Post
the puck got caught in rough ice. **** happens. its happened to just about all our forwards at one point or another. don't blame him for that.

as the night progressed, i felt he played well (all our forwards were invisible for the first forty or so). he had some grade-A chances based purely on his stick handling. we all know he is smallish and will be bodied off easily (he was successful in buffalo b/c of the style of play utilized--he isn't effective any other way). that was what we got when we signed him. we're seeing the two sides of the coin. we've seen him hot and in space (hat trickin much?) but we've also seen him dead cold/unconfident as well. soooooooo........

.......lets bench a guy with confidence issues. brilliant.
stevens gave him a chance to build confidence and he missed it. you can't blame either the coach for putting him in there or for the puck rolling on him when it hit rough ice.

imagine how briere feels if he gets that goal and we end up winning in the extended shootout? confidence boosted...

basically, us *****ing isn't going to do anything. he wont get moved... or waived... or benched... we paid the money, now we deal with him, in the good and the bad

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Adam Warlock

Briere hasnt had confidence since the first week of the season. He has played with everyone on the team, and he hasnt played any better...and the players who are with him tend to do worse.

People keep saying he is a one dimensional player, which is 100 percent true...but if you arent producing in that dimension...what good are you?

Sitting him down might calm him down, let him regroup, and maybe he'll bounce back and have a decent finish to the season.

Old
02-19-2008, 10:26 PM
runkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post

Totally agree. I don't see how any good comes from benching him. Things are not going well for him right now - not just tonight - it's been going on for a while now. But they need to keep giving him chances to work through it and find a way to help him make plays and score. Fortunately, I don't think there is any way Stevens would bench him.

runkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:28 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Dumbest. Idea. EVER.

This isn't a young kid like Vanek or Hudler. You don't bench a vet with some confidence issues. You play him until he comes out of his funk, which he will soon. Patience.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:31 PM
27roenick97

sitting him indicates management/coaching staff has lost confidence in him. that will do wonders for an already bruised ego.

and fyi, he most certainly had confidence earlier in the season. you know how i know? the moves he attempted--and successfully pulled off: splitting d-men and going in on kipper, dangling in the slot for a hat trick goal against the 'canes, getting down and dirty in the crease and battling for the pucks on the PP. he hasn't been doing, or even attempting, anything remotely similar to the above examples.

he's lost faith in the skills he has, and can't make up for it because he is an offense-only player.

consider the ramifications of if you bench him. what confidence he does have is shattered, and we loose his skill set completely for the season, what now? he will come out of this; all skilled players find a way to function. i'm sure danny b has had cold streaks before, and been invisible, he'll get his touch back. just remember the player we saw in the 05-06 playoffs--that is what he's capable if he is on. and we definately need that

bench him.... this is f'ing ridiculous

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote