HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Briere needs to be a healthy scratch.

Old
02-19-2008, 10:31 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Briere hasnt had confidence since the first week of the season. He has played with everyone on the team, and he hasnt played any better...and the players who are with him tend to do worse.

People keep saying he is a one dimensional player, which is 100 percent true...but if you arent producing in that dimension...what good are you?

Sitting him down might calm him down, let him regroup, and maybe he'll bounce back and have a decent finish to the season.
Being honest dude, you can say they should sit him but..... it will never happen. A 10 mill man most likely wont sit the bench

PS. The second poster said this might be locked cause if you search for threads, there are about 4-5 of "Sit Danny Now!!" within this month alone

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:33 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
Dumbest. Idea. EVER.

This isn't a young kid like Vanek or Hudler. You don't bench a vet with some confidence issues. You play him until he comes out of his funk, which he will soon. Patience.
Patience is a virtue. I saw a glimmer of that Briere tonight, i think it was in the 3rd. He weaved in through traffic and Emery got a lucky save. It will take time. This whole team is in a slump.

Another week or so and Briere will be back to his old self.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:35 PM
CantSeeColors

If you're going to bench every player who isn't playing well right now, your remaining players would be Kapanen, Cote, Parent, Timonen, Downie, Coburn, and Giroux. Notice who makes up that group? One scoring threat (Kimmo, and I really have him here because of his defense), defensive defensemen, role players, and a kid in his first game who we shouldn't be expecting a lot from yet. Or, to put it another way, guys who you're just expecting effort out of every night.

Face it, nobody who you'd expect high level play from is performing right now. Singling out Briere is ridiculous.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:38 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
If you're going to bench every player who isn't playing well right now, your remaining players would be Kapanen, Cote, Parent, Timonen, Downie, Coburn, and Giroux. Notice who makes up that group? One scoring threat (Kimmo, and I really have him here because of his defense), defensive defensemen, role players, and a kid in his first game who we shouldn't be expecting a lot from yet. Or, to put it another way, guys who you're just expecting effort out of every night.

Face it, nobody who you'd expect high level play from is performing right now. Singling out Briere is ridiculous.
May the fleas of 1000 camels infest your armpits for not having Richards name in that list. 40 lashes I say!

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:39 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

Downie-Kap-Giroux

Timonen-Coburn

Also scoring threat Cote can be there also...

What an awesome team I dont know if we can win a game with one line

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Synthetic

Send a message via AIM to Synthetic Send a message via MSN to Synthetic
I seem to remember Briere playing pretty well in the beginning of the year with a healthy Gagne.

Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:42 PM
panayiotis

home

Quote:
I cant take him anymore. He is completley invisible and is getting worse as the season goes on. There is not ONE thing he contributes to the team.

5 on 5 he is completley invisible and ineffective. He coughs the puck up constantly, he gets knocked off the puck when the other team sneezes on him, and his linemates dont know *** to do when hes on the ice. People blame him not having good linemates as an excuse, but hes been with everyone on the team at some point this year...so clearly he is the problem.

Defensively he is a liability, as his -20 shows. He has zero defensive mind...and when hes not even producing offense...thats a problem! He doesnt kill penalties, so hes not valuable there either.

On the PP is the only place hes had success this year, and hes been really bad at even that latley.

And when he gets a big chance in the shootout...a chance to contribute to the team in a big way...in a situation where his "amazing skill" is supposed to shine...one on one with a goalie...he cant even get that done! It is one thing if he made a decent attempt like giroux...but he didnt even ****in try!!!

If a player like hartnell, or richards, or umberger, or lupul, or whoever isnt producing offensivly...AT LEAST they can contribute in other ways. They can go out and be physical, create energy, play defensivly, kill penalties...DO SOMETHING that actually benefits the team!!!

I am sorry, but this signing was a mistake...I was against it from the beginning, and now I am more sure of it then ever.

Scratch his ass for a few games, maybe that will wake it up. I do believe he is the wrong player for this teams style, but hes not even trying anymore. It is frustrating to watch players like cannon or umberger or kapanen or upshall pour there hearts into the game...and watch this POS roam around the rink with his lackadaisical attitude!!

[/rant]
How back sending him back to Montreal for extended vacation.

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:46 PM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
I seem to remember Briere playing pretty well in the beginning of the year with a healthy Gagne.
YEAH! I have been singing that tune for awhile...

wait until next year when they are both healthy, LOOKOUT. It will be fun to watch.

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:46 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
May the fleas of 1000 camels infest your armpits for not having Richards name in that list. 40 lashes I say!
I'm going to get lashed for this, but Richards has been one of the worst players over this stretch. Watch how many times he hold on to the puck way too long trying to make a fancy play and gives it up. He's acting like he's got Crosby's skills. We all know he doesn't. Flame away.

Old
02-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
I'm going to get lashed for this, but Richards has been one of the worst players over this stretch. Watch how many times he hold on to the puck way too long trying to make a fancy play and gives it up. He's acting like he's got Crosby's skills. We all know he doesn't. Flame away.
I agree, fully, and I've been seeing more and more of that Richards for a while now...not just over the last ten-ish games. I said something about it a couple weeks ago.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 10:56 PM
27roenick97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I agree, fully, and I've been seeing more and more of that Richards for a while now...not just over the last ten-ish games. I said something about it a couple weeks ago.
to come to cannon's rescue--as if he should need it--the guy is exhausted. he's been playing 20plus of hardcore hockey every night, hasn't missed any games. he's worn out b/c our other forwards aren't eating the minutes up. he's trying too much b/c he does have great hockey skills and sense, and the team needs somebody to do something big to win a game--he's that guy, trying to carry the whole team.

bench briere, and now people calling out cannon? this is truly a ridiculous thread

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 11:04 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
15 points in his last 15 games with 65 in 59...yeah, he sucks.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 11:16 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
15 points in his last 15 games with 65 in 59...yeah, he sucks.
Basing a player's all around play on points...yeah, that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27roenick97 View Post
to come to cannon's rescue--as if he should need it--the guy is exhausted. he's been playing 20plus of hardcore hockey every night, hasn't missed any games. he's worn out b/c our other forwards aren't eating the minutes up. he's trying too much b/c he does have great hockey skills and sense, and the team needs somebody to do something big to win a game--he's that guy, trying to carry the whole team.
I totally agree he's worn down. I've been saying for months that they need to cut down his minutes. But you said it yourself, he's trying to do too much. Being overplayed doesn't excuse that. In fact, you'd think he'd do the opposite and start simplifying things when he's tired. Notice tonight how the Flyers got better when they stopped trying to be fancy? Both goals were scored by just getting the puck to the net and skating hard for it. Richards stopped doing that.

Old
02-19-2008, 11:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Briere wasn't invisible tonight.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 11:28 PM
27roenick97

Quote:

I totally agree he's worn down. I've been saying for months that they need to cut down his minutes. But you said it yourself, he's trying to do too much. Being overplayed doesn't excuse that. In fact, you'd think he'd do the opposite and start simplifying things when he's tired. Notice tonight how the Flyers got better when they stopped trying to be fancy? Both goals were scored by just getting the puck to the net and skating hard for it. Richards stopped doing that.
i just feel he does have the talent to try the stuff he does. to be honest, he's still getting his points and, more and more, its a shot off the rush or a pass through traffic, rather than gritting it out that is yielding the production. i'd like him to finesse it some more, prevent the wear/tear on his body.

even gretzky didn't get all his passes through or pull off all of his toe drags... not that i'd compare the two, but you get it.

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 05:38 AM
Steve L*

He needs to be traded, I didnt want it at the time and its a horrible move by Homer.

If I could see this coming, why couldnt he?

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 05:41 AM
Mota

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27roenick97 View Post
sitting him indicates management/coaching staff has lost confidence in him. that will do wonders for an already bruised ego.

and fyi, he most certainly had confidence earlier in the season. you know how i know? the moves he attempted--and successfully pulled off: splitting d-men and going in on kipper, dangling in the slot for a hat trick goal against the 'canes, getting down and dirty in the crease and battling for the pucks on the PP. he hasn't been doing, or even attempting, anything remotely similar to the above examples.

he's lost faith in the skills he has, and can't make up for it because he is an offense-only player.

consider the ramifications of if you bench him. what confidence he does have is shattered, and we loose his skill set completely for the season, what now? he will come out of this; all skilled players find a way to function. i'm sure danny b has had cold streaks before, and been invisible, he'll get his touch back. just remember the player we saw in the 05-06 playoffs--that is what he's capable if he is on. and we definately need that

bench him.... this is f'ing ridiculous
Yeah, but its not like its just been a week or two of this...hes lacked confidence for months...and he seems to be getting worse. I cant even remember the last game he made a serious consistent threat 5 on 5...for a while he got his PP points, but hes even cooled off there. I dont see him just snapping out of this...something needs to be done. If you dont bench him, give him a talking to behind closed doors. I know hes a vet, but he sure as hell aint playin like one.

I dont think he was good in the game last night. He did create some chances...but im tired of everyone saying thats all he is here for. The team last year had no problem creating chances...they just couldnt finish...briere was supposed to fix that...but he hasnt. In the shootout...he had a great chance in a situation his style of play is made for, to rise up and really lift his team...and he made a poor attempt....that really pissed me off.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 06:00 AM
hockeydadx2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
He needs to be traded, I didnt want it at the time and its a horrible move by Homer.

If I could see this coming, why couldnt he?
With that contract? He will retire a Flyer. Of course, not for 7 more years.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 07:15 AM
smokin018

It's not about sitting Briere, it's about him changing the way he approaches the game...

He was responsible for the Sens 2nd goal last night, as he let Vermette walk past him and position himself for the goal right in front of Biron. Any kind of tie-up by Danny and that goal never happens. I know he is not the best defensive player, but those are the things he needs to step up and accomplish while he is in this slump.

He also needs to understand the dynamics of the Philadelphia athlete. We crave players with heart, determination, fire, passion, and a sence of urgency. We want to see our players will themselves to excel. Richards does this and thus gets a pass when he makes an occassional bonehead play. In baseball, Rowand breaks his nose making a catch in the outfield and basically gets a pass from the fans the rest of the year, but if Pat Burell stikes out even once he is booed mercilessly. It not about his current slump, it's about Danny's heart and desire. He needs to adopt the passion of an Utley, a Richards, a Westbrook, a Dawkins.......then he will endear himslef to this city. It's such a simple formula but for some reason he's not getting it. And it was evident again last night, especially on the 2nd Sens goal.....

smokin018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 07:23 AM
BigBanger

Thats funny, Briere lacks confidence ?? If he lost confidence in himself then he should hang them up! He has been down this road before Maybe he has lost confidence in Flyers Lack of System.

BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 07:27 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I thought he played a much better game tonight then he has since the slump started. He'll come out of it. Hopefully sooner then later. We also cant really afford to scratch a forward. There aren't too many left.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 07:33 AM
smokin018

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
Thats funny, Briere lacks confidence ?? If he lost confidence in himself then he should hang them up! He has been down this road before Maybe he has lost confidence in Flyers Lack of System.
The "lack of a system" does not account for his lack of effort or unwillingness to play defensive hockey for this club.

I do agree with you that he hasn't lost his confidence, he just lacks passion and heart. If he had lost confidence, he would have taken a quick wrister on the shootout opportunity last night instead of making too many moves and never even getting a shot off....

Heart plus passion and effort will help Danny get his act together. When I think of him and his game, I never think of a "hard worker"...and that is fueling the fire with the fan base right now.

smokin018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Ok, so leading the team in scoring + being the best defensive forward on the team every night (especially on the PK) isn't good enough for you?

People defending Briere and attacking Richards is one of the best things I've ever seen on here.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 09:26 AM
mikedifr

Quote:

I agree completely. Just like everyone who singled out Lindros for the loss in the finals when the whole team went in the pooper.....It comes with the territory of being the high paid star on the team and I am sure Briere knows that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
He did, and he has played well on the powerplay most of the year....Even though people were bashing him for the past few months, it is really only the last stretch of 8-10 games where I think he has dissappeared. Up until then, he hadnt gone more than 2 games without a point. Yes, he has struggled at even strength, but so has the entire team except maybe Carter..

Quote:
Agreed to a point. I think he is just trying too hard during the slump and putting too much on his shoulders. I admire that, but he needs to learn that he cant do it himself.

Quote:
Yeah, but its not like its just been a week or two of this...hes lacked confidence for months...and he seems to be getting worse. I cant even remember the last game he made a serious consistent threat 5 on 5...for a while he got his PP points, but hes even cooled off there. I dont see him just snapping out of this...something needs to be done. If you dont bench him, give him a talking to behind closed doors. I know hes a vet, but he sure as hell aint playin like one.

I dont think he was good in the game last night. He did create some chances...but im tired of everyone saying thats all he is here for. The team last year had no problem creating chances...they just couldnt finish...briere was supposed to fix that...but he hasnt. In the shootout...he had a great chance in a situation his style of play is made for, to rise up and really lift his team...and he made a poor attempt....that really pissed me off.
Like I said above, this entire team has been struggling at even strength, cant single him out. Gagne was expected to be his winger all year and he hasnt been healthy. Lupul hasnt been healthy. Upshall has been in and out of the lineup and was only tried with him for a short period of time. He has played mostly with Knuble who we all realized immediately is not the right winger for him, not sure why ******** behind the bench cant figure that one out....Hell, try Ruzicka or Potulny up there for all I care.

I dont understand why people cant see that the way this team is playing does not put him in a position to be successful. We were pressing the action at the beginning of the season and he was much better. Right now we are playing dump and chase.

I am curious to see if Modry, and to a lesser extent Parent, help out at all with getting the puck out of the zone on a rush. It would also help if this team didnt attempt the same damn break out everytime.

You are now seeing that when they face teams with good coaching, we get shut down for a good chunk of the game. All Ottawa did was position their defense ot block us from getting those two forecheckers in there.....Against Tampa, they tried the same break out over and over and over again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Ok, so leading the team in scoring + being the best defensive forward on the team every night (especially on the PK) isn't good enough for you?

People defending Briere and attacking Richards is one of the best things I've ever seen on here.
I dont see that happening. Richards hasnt played nearly as well lately as he did the first half but I think that is a combination of being worn down and trying too hard.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydadx2 View Post
With that contract? He will retire a Flyer. Of course, not for 7 more years.
Well other teams wanted him in the summer, the Habs even offered him more.

I say send him to the Pens, he will be a perfect fit.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote