HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Bryan McCabe: Norma Rae of the NHL

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2004, 02:34 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

vCash: 500
Bryan McCabe: Norma Rae of the NHL

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=70230

McCabe unleashed some gems in the news today, showing how misguided these players really are.

Among his biggest hits:
"The bottom line is, if they want a hard (salary) cap, we'll sit out for the rest of our lives."

Easy to say that when you already earned millions. I'm willing to bet Ovechkin hardly agrees.

"It's all in the semantics. They want to impose a system where we can't direct our marketplace. What's the point of having free agency if you can't go anywhere? Whatever way they put it, it's not a good deal for us."

A cap doesn't stop you from moving teams. Here's a way where it's a good deal: Cap means you still play hockey for a living. No cap equals working at a deli.

"I wouldn't be making the money I am now if it weren't for the guys in 1994. There are hundreds of kids coming up who are going to be National Hockey League players. In the end, they deserve a fair shot at a solid marketplace and a chance to earn a decent living."

A decent living? A DECENT LIVING? The average salary is over a million dollars. If it came down 25% or even 50% you'd still be living the good life. Shut the *&$@ up, you out-of-touch a$$.

He acts like making millions as a pro hockey player is equivalent to being a slave.

Old
01-30-2004, 02:49 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=70230

McCabe unleashed some gems in the news today, showing how misguided these players really are.

Among his biggest hits:
"The bottom line is, if they want a hard (salary) cap, we'll sit out for the rest of our lives."

Easy to say that when you already earned millions. I'm willing to bet Ovechkin hardly agrees.

"It's all in the semantics. They want to impose a system where we can't direct our marketplace. What's the point of having free agency if you can't go anywhere? Whatever way they put it, it's not a good deal for us."

A cap doesn't stop you from moving teams. Here's a way where it's a good deal: Cap means you still play hockey for a living. No cap equals working at a deli.

"I wouldn't be making the money I am now if it weren't for the guys in 1994. There are hundreds of kids coming up who are going to be National Hockey League players. In the end, they deserve a fair shot at a solid marketplace and a chance to earn a decent living."

A decent living? A DECENT LIVING? The average salary is over a million dollars. If it came down 25% or even 50% you'd still be living the good life. Shut the *&$@ up, you out-of-touch a$$.

He acts like making millions as a pro hockey player is equivalent to being a slave.
I know. It makes me sick.

Old
01-30-2004, 02:55 PM
blah

Owners have themselves to blame.

Old
01-30-2004, 02:56 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Sounds like more positioning by the player association. My guess is post the post cba will be some sort of a soft cap and a lowering of the UFA age.

01-30-2004, 02:59 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
I hate it when pro athletes play the union solidarity card, like they have anything in common with the proletariat. Their minimum wage puts them in the top percentile of earnings. Now, for the guys in the AHL, or ECHL, this might have some meaning.

Old
01-30-2004, 03:16 PM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
I hate it when pro athletes play the union solidarity card, like they have anything in common with the proletariat.
So you're prepared to claim that hockey players control their means of production, and get to set their own wages?

Other Dave

Old
01-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Troy McClure

The NHL needs to follow the lead of the NBA. Create a cap on the Star player salaries. Make there a maximum individual salary while setting the team salary cap as a soft one that can be exceeded with only a small penalty. Offer a higher minimum salary at the same time.

This plan was genious because when the NBA union voted on it all the high dollar star players were against it and all the worker bench players were for it. Well, obviously, there are more bench players, so it passed. It raised the salaries for all the spares, but put in check the outragous salaries the stars were demanding.

It was a real work of art from the NBA brass. They tured the players againt each other.

Old
01-30-2004, 03:20 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

It's easy, and right to blame the owners for much of this mess, but the players don't help themselves at all by opening their mouths and complaining about their lot in life. All it does is further alienate them from the average fan, and that's the last thing the NHL can afford to do. I'm more convinced than ever that there is going to be a long work stoppage and a resulting salary cap of some kind. If that's what it takes, so be it.

Old
01-30-2004, 03:26 PM
PEli*

I am completely willing to put my entire hockey focus on the CHL next year and however long it takes for these crybabies to shape up. The owners have themselves to blame but the fact that guys like McCabe think they're doing this to let the hundreds of NHLers coming up "make a decent living" sickens me.

How many of us grew up wishing to be NHLers? I would have played for free if it meant I could say I played in the NHL. Hell, I would still play for free if given the oppertunity. The players can take their millions, sit at home for a year or two and watch the fans turn their backs and watch somebody else.

Old
01-30-2004, 03:31 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
McCabe didn't really think this one through. He is talking about the kids who will be coming into the league, what about the kids who are already here? What about the good young players like a Staal, Fleury, Nash who are drafted to teams in small markets that can't compete with a Colorado or Detroit because of money? Is that fair to them? Come on now. Why not just make a level playing field? No one is surprised when teams like the Avs or Wings win a Cup, they have the best talent money can buy. But what was surprising last year? The biggest surprises were the teams who didn't go out and get the best players beating the top teams. Everyone was shocked to see the Avs, Wings and maybe the Nucks go out to teams like the Wild and Ducks. It would make hockey more entertaining, get more people in these small markets interested in it again. Pittsburgh, Carolina, Calgary and other small markets would have a shot just like any other team. Then I think we would see some real competition and see who is the best.

Old
01-30-2004, 03:34 PM
transplant99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Dave
So you're prepared to claim that hockey players control their means of production, and get to set their own wages?

Other Dave

What employee in any profession is the one that gets to set his or her's "own wage"?

Old
01-30-2004, 03:38 PM
Troy McClure

The lockout only really hurts the fans and the spare players. A guy like Blake Sloan has a limited shelf life in the NHL and will make the league minimum or so. He has to take as much advantage of this opportunity to earn as he can each season before he's forced to go get a real job making $40,000 a year.

McCabe doesn't care about the young guys and low paid guys that will be without income next season. McCabe only cares about maintaining his multi-million deal and future earnings. What's a year off to him? So he'll have to limit his pedicures to once a week. Big deal.

Old
01-30-2004, 03:40 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99
What employee in any profession is the one that gets to set his or her's "own wage"?

Government employees who negotiate their contract. One contract dictates how all the employees of that field are paid(ie ferry workers). They get set wages, with certain raises and/or benefits each year of the contract. Not sure if it works like that elsewhere, but it's like that in Canada.

Old
01-30-2004, 03:41 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Owners have themselves to blame.
Agreed. But McCabe is also an idiot.

Old
01-30-2004, 03:52 PM
50 Mission Cap

How many players have come out and made comments like this regarding the CBA, yet McCabe gets his own thread and raked over the coals for it.

Old
01-30-2004, 03:54 PM
Hounsy

vCash: 559
McCabe is just repeating the Union lines, he's not the first player I've heard talk this way(Shanahan comes to mind) and McCabe will not be the last to make these types of comments either. What I found intresting is that he specificly said they would not take a "hard cap" that actually to me is a good sign, providing McCabe's opinion does follow the unions. In the past I've heard players union saying absolutely no to any cap. Sure this might mean nothing, but it might also mean the two sides are moving close enough on a soft cap middle ground to avoid a serious stopage.

Old
01-30-2004, 03:55 PM
transplant99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Government employees who negotiate their contract. One contract dictates how all the employees of that field are paid(ie ferry workers). They get set wages, with certain raises and/or benefits each year of the contract. Not sure if it works like that elsewhere, but it's like that in Canada.
Thanks for agreeing with me.

Anyone can negotiate a wage/contract all they like, but in a negotiation there are 2 sides to it.

No one just "sets" their wage as they see fit. Employers always should have a say in how much of the income goes out to employees, and thankfully, in a capitalistit society, always will.

Old
01-30-2004, 04:04 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Mission Cap
How many players have come out and made comments like this regarding the CBA, yet McCabe gets his own thread and raked over the coals for it.
I guess people can't wirte anything around here without a Leafs fans screaming bias. If I recall, there have been similar threads about Hull, Roenick, and Alfredsson about the CBA/salaries/the league, but then again most of the players are smart enough to keep their mouths shut.

Old
01-30-2004, 04:09 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Yes let's blame McCabe, when all you hypocites out there wouldnt think/say the exact same thing if you were in his shoes. You make millions.. your boss wants to limit what kind of millions you make, so that he can make more millions off a service you provide. Anyone here who says that they wouldn't think the same way as McCabe is lying. Both the players and owners are greedy and I don't think either of them are right, but to slag McCabe for having the balls to say it is typical here. While I don't agree with his wording, I give him credit for telling it like it is.

Old
01-30-2004, 04:20 PM
ColdSteelOnIce

You'd think they'd have learned from baseball.

Old
01-30-2004, 04:21 PM
ColdSteelOnIce

Though, now that I think of Alex Rodriguez's $252M contract...maybe they did.

Old
01-30-2004, 04:39 PM
PhillyNucksFan

Decent Living!? This part just disgusts me... How can you call anything over $1M annually a "DECENT LIVING"..

I guess by making $50k a year is really a bum to him.
ya sure, not every one of us gets to eat $1000 dinner every night, and $10,000 on clothings every week.

This guy really needs a reality check here!!!

god, never liked him as a player, now, this guy just plain sucks!!

I guess I'll be following WHA next year and I really do hope there is a lock out and a salary cap, and as return, lower ticket price sale, and lower EVERYTHING NHL merchandise.. a T-shirt with NHL logo does not cost $20, and the manu. cost of a T-shirt is what, a quarter from china?

Old
01-30-2004, 04:58 PM
Sebaldian

Old
01-30-2004, 05:10 PM
rekrul

not too many professions I know have had thier salarys triple while the revenues drop. THe NHL is in DEEP trouble if the NHLPA feels this way. the big cheese at ESPN resently said that the network doesn't need hockey anymore. Their new deal will probably be 1/2 of what it is now just to get on the tube. Arn't the Preds on sale for $40 mil? that is 10 mil less than thier franchise fee.

I think its not too much to ask for stars to make 5-7 mil and role players to make mid 6 figures. The money isn't going to come from us anymore they have bled us dry and the attendance is going down with paying $50 a seat for upper deck tix.

Old
01-30-2004, 05:35 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
Yes let's blame McCabe, when all you hypocites out there wouldnt think/say the exact same thing if you were in his shoes. You make millions.. your boss wants to limit what kind of millions you make, so that he can make more millions off a service you provide. Anyone here who says that they wouldn't think the same way as McCabe is lying. Both the players and owners are greedy and I don't think either of them are right, but to slag McCabe for having the balls to say it is typical here. While I don't agree with his wording, I give him credit for telling it like it is.
Yes, let's give a Bryan a hand for telling it like it is.

Ok, now that the applause has stopped, let's get real here. How is Bettman making more millions off a service Bryan provides? The NHL is in a decline. You want to get fans back to games and back to supporting teams like the Penguins or Hurricanes who are in a bind because of money. Then you wouldn't have to try so hard to get people to come to games or watch the games. Everything wouldn't be lopsided. Why don't people come to a Penguins game? Well, because all of the big players they once had are gone because of money. What is the point of going to a game knowing that guys who have only been in the league 1 or 2 years are going up against a experienced team (because of money) like the Flyers, Avs, Wings or any other team ? You know they are nowhere near as good as these teams. Is it their fault? No, it's not. That's why teams are suffering because they can't compete with other markets. If you had all the salaries in a reasonable bracket, it would improve the game for everyone.

Revenue would go up. Merchandise sales would go up.
Attendance would go up. Games would be a lot more interesting with each of the teams being on the same playing field. People might actually want to see more games on ESPN, ABC and other outlets. It would make every team an option for a player. Some players like to play for their hometowns. It could let them play for an Edmonton, a Calgary, a Vancouver, or a Pittsburgh, (gasp) the Rangers or Isles or Buffalo). None of the teams would seem like a wasteland like they do now. It could also lead to more teams, not saying it has to though.

I don't see Bettman making the most by having a salary cap. I see the fans winning and the general public. You can draw new fans to the game or old ones that had gotten sick of the game as it is now. You would get to see every team have a chance of winning the Cup. You would see great hockey. You are the one who will get to have a player like Staal on your team or a goalie like Fleury on your team. If every team had a level playing field, any team could have a rookie like Crosby, Ovechkin and whoever else is out there now on their team. It wouldn't be the team that is so far down in the standings because they can't compete getting the pick. Furthermore, the reason teams like Pittsburgh or Carolina get the picks is because they have to get rid of their high priced players so the GM's at least need something in return in order for them to at least TRY to be able to compete with the teams like the Flyers, Wings, Avs or Sens.

Last edited by swflyers8*: 01-30-2004 at 05:39 PM.
Closed Thread