HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Bryan McCabe: Norma Rae of the NHL

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2004, 06:40 PM
Troy McClure

vCash: 500
Elect me Commissioner of the NHL, and here are my campaign promises:
1: A salary cap & revenue sharing program
2: A ticket price cap

Old
01-30-2004, 08:54 PM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
Yes let's blame McCabe, when all you hypocites out there wouldnt think/say the exact same thing if you were in his shoes. You make millions.. your boss wants to limit what kind of millions you make, so that he can make more millions off a service you provide. Anyone here who says that they wouldn't think the same way as McCabe is lying. Both the players and owners are greedy and I don't think either of them are right, but to slag McCabe for having the balls to say it is typical here. While I don't agree with his wording, I give him credit for telling it like it is.
I'm afraid I'd have no problem quitting my current job to go play in the NHL for the welfare wages of 500K. Granted it's no decent living, but I think I could scrape by.
How many players have gone on record saying they just wanna play hocky, it's all about the sport. Well, these insanely high salaries are killing the league, the very league these players profess to love.

Old
01-30-2004, 09:33 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Someone on another board called McCabe a "tool on skates" for these comments.

I agree completely.

Old
01-30-2004, 09:45 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
Yes let's blame McCabe, when all you hypocites out there wouldnt think/say the exact same thing if you were in his shoes. You make millions.. your boss wants to limit what kind of millions you make, so that he can make more millions off a service you provide. Anyone here who says that they wouldn't think the same way as McCabe is lying. Both the players and owners are greedy and I don't think either of them are right, but to slag McCabe for having the balls to say it is typical here. While I don't agree with his wording, I give him credit for telling it like it is.
First, I'm a huge Bryan McCabe fan for the way he plays the game.

But let's get real. A family could live VERY COMFORTABLY, FOREVER off the interest that McCabe would earn on this year's salary (after tax). I guess McCabe's definition of "a decent living" is wiping your ass with $100 bills and watering the lawn with champagne.

If I was a multi-millionare playing the game I loved, I would want to do what is best for the game. I forgot which player (Brad Richards maybe) bought a skybox for over $100K and donated it to underpriviledged kids all season.

If the players are so worried about the young guys coming up, they should agree to some sort of cap to allow all 30 teams to survive and compete. Not be fixated in perpetuating a system that allows 6-8 teams to incredibly overpay players because they aren't run as a business.

Old
01-30-2004, 09:46 PM
Breck Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
Yes, let's give a Bryan a hand for telling it like it is.

Ok, now that the applause has stopped, let's get real here. How is Bettman making more millions off a service Bryan provides? The NHL is in a decline. You want to get fans back to games and back to supporting teams like the Penguins or Hurricanes who are in a bind because of money. Then you wouldn't have to try so hard to get people to come to games or watch the games. Everything wouldn't be lopsided. Why don't people come to a Penguins game? Well, because all of the big players they once had are gone because of money. What is the point of going to a game knowing that guys who have only been in the league 1 or 2 years are going up against a experienced team (because of money) like the Flyers, Avs, Wings or any other team ? You know they are nowhere near as good as these teams. Is it their fault? No, it's not. That's why teams are suffering because they can't compete with other markets. If you had all the salaries in a reasonable bracket, it would improve the game for everyone.

Revenue would go up. Merchandise sales would go up.
Attendance would go up. Games would be a lot more interesting with each of the teams being on the same playing field. People might actually want to see more games on ESPN, ABC and other outlets. It would make every team an option for a player. Some players like to play for their hometowns. It could let them play for an Edmonton, a Calgary, a Vancouver, or a Pittsburgh, (gasp) the Rangers or Isles or Buffalo). None of the teams would seem like a wasteland like they do now. It could also lead to more teams, not saying it has to though.

I don't see Bettman making the most by having a salary cap. I see the fans winning and the general public. You can draw new fans to the game or old ones that had gotten sick of the game as it is now. You would get to see every team have a chance of winning the Cup. You would see great hockey. You are the one who will get to have a player like Staal on your team or a goalie like Fleury on your team. If every team had a level playing field, any team could have a rookie like Crosby, Ovechkin and whoever else is out there now on their team. It wouldn't be the team that is so far down in the standings because they can't compete getting the pick. Furthermore, the reason teams like Pittsburgh or Carolina get the picks is because they have to get rid of their high priced players so the GM's at least need something in return in order for them to at least TRY to be able to compete with the teams like the Flyers, Wings, Avs or Sens.
Carolina helped create this mess by signing Fedorov to that ridiculous contract in 1998 with the huge bonus for reaching the conference finals. The system must have worked for them 2 seasons ago when they made the SCF's. I'm not crying for them.

If you want a good team you have to invest money in it and spend it the right way. Colorado and Detroit have gotten much more bang for the buck than New York and Washington. It takes more than money to be a winner in this league. Money certainly helps, but I'd rather have a good GM and scouts than just the payroll of the Rangers.

All I want is a system that allows teams to keep the stars that they developed. Ottawa shouldn't be punished because Hossa, Alfredsson, Havlat, Redden, Bonk, Spezza, etc. grew together in the same organization.

Old
01-30-2004, 10:20 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
Yes, let's give a Bryan a hand for telling it like it is.

Ok, now that the applause has stopped, let's get real here. How is Bettman making more millions off a service Bryan provides? The NHL is in a decline. You want to get fans back to games and back to supporting teams like the Penguins or Hurricanes who are in a bind because of money. Then you wouldn't have to try so hard to get people to come to games or watch the games. Everything wouldn't be lopsided. Why don't people come to a Penguins game? Well, because all of the big players they once had are gone because of money. What is the point of going to a game knowing that guys who have only been in the league 1 or 2 years are going up against a experienced team (because of money) like the Flyers, Avs, Wings or any other team ? You know they are nowhere near as good as these teams. Is it their fault? No, it's not. That's why teams are suffering because they can't compete with other markets. If you had all the salaries in a reasonable bracket, it would improve the game for everyone.

Revenue would go up. Merchandise sales would go up.
Attendance would go up. Games would be a lot more interesting with each of the teams being on the same playing field. People might actually want to see more games on ESPN, ABC and other outlets. It would make every team an option for a player. Some players like to play for their hometowns. It could let them play for an Edmonton, a Calgary, a Vancouver, or a Pittsburgh, (gasp) the Rangers or Isles or Buffalo). None of the teams would seem like a wasteland like they do now. It could also lead to more teams, not saying it has to though.

I don't see Bettman making the most by having a salary cap. I see the fans winning and the general public. You can draw new fans to the game or old ones that had gotten sick of the game as it is now. You would get to see every team have a chance of winning the Cup. You would see great hockey. You are the one who will get to have a player like Staal on your team or a goalie like Fleury on your team. If every team had a level playing field, any team could have a rookie like Crosby, Ovechkin and whoever else is out there now on their team. It wouldn't be the team that is so far down in the standings because they can't compete getting the pick. Furthermore, the reason teams like Pittsburgh or Carolina get the picks is because they have to get rid of their high priced players so the GM's at least need something in return in order for them to at least TRY to be able to compete with the teams like the Flyers, Wings, Avs or Sens.
Who said anything about Bettman? I'm talking about Bettman's puppetmasters. And up until last year the Sens were bankrupt, so now I'm not one to laud the Sens on anything, but I don't think you can equate their success to being a big market team. Maybe Pittsburgh should try to have some sort of success if they want the fans to come.. draft well, get some mid tier free agents, institute a trap or whatever. There are a few teams that have success with a lower payroll, you can't buy a Cup.. just ask the Rangers. Like I said, I don't agree with the Players or the owners.. hell, I don't even agree with what he said about "comfortable living", but they (owners and players) are in it for themselves, not for the fans. You think with a salary cap ticket prices will go down? You won't have to pay 10 bucks for a beer? 4 bucks for a pop? or whatever overpriced crap they make oodles and oodles of money on? Screw them, they get locked out or strike.. I'll just go watch Lacrosse. They will lose me like baseball did.

Old
01-31-2004, 12:18 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
I guess McCabe's definition of "a decent living" is wiping your ass with $100 bills and watering the lawn with champagne.
Well said! He apparently has lost touch with real people's salaries.

I don't care one way or another about his other CBA comments, all the player-reps are saying the same thing, but equating his salary with just barely scraping by is totally indefensible. I certainly hope he got misquoted or his remark was taken out of context, but it's not Leafs-bashing, to bring it up, geez.

Didn't Barry Bonds say something similar before MLB got their stuff straightened out? I recall him equating himself with a bus driver just trying to get by or something along those lines. These guys have no clue.

Quote:
I forgot which player (Brad Richards maybe) bought a skybox for over $100K and donated it to underpriviledged kids all season.
This is kinda OT, but Richards gives the tickets to kids with cancer, I believe. Meets with them after every game too. He's a good, community-minded kid. Still a money-grubbing millionaire like the rest of them, but a good kid nonetheless.

Old
01-31-2004, 12:19 AM
rulin

Decent living, my ass. Proof that this game is all about the money, not the game itself. If that's decent living, we're all living in poverty. The amount of money professional athletes make a year disgusts me. It's sickening. Especially if you compare it to the salaries of teachers, healthcare workers, etc. I could go on about this, but I've just calmed down from my initial reaction to that comment, and my rant could pretty much go on forever ... and ever. I just hope people realise that these people are extremely overpaid, and the majority don't appreciate just how lucky they are.

After I read this article, I was thinking that I really didn't care if there was a lockout. There is much better hockey out there, anyway. Hockey that is, for the most part, more exciting. Hockey that has players that truly love, and play for the game. And, the ticket prices aren't so damn ridiculous. I have now calmed down, and am not wishing for a lockout, but I do believe if there is any hope of the NHL changing for the better, there will be a lockout. Now, when I say better, I mean better as a game, but if/when there is a lockout, after the lockout, teams that already struggle with attendance, will most likely have it worse. Well, they will have it worse if a salary cap isn't put into place. If it is, then the teams with low attendance will start to turn it around, and as they get better, the attendance will go up, as will profits.

I would like to see a system that allows team to keep their "home grown" talent. Otherwise, what are the rewards for having great scouting? But, some sort of cap has to be placed. Just think what a cap could do to this league. All the teams would be playing on the same field, and it'd make it that much interesting for fans of ALL teams. Every team would have a change to win the Cup, and the weaker teams wouldn't have to clutch, grab, hold, etc. because there would be no weaker teams. Hell, this could also rid us of the trap that weaker teams are forced to use.
Teams should also have the option of picking up the second (or, third, fourth, whatever) year of a player's contract. If a team signs player, but the player doesn't play up to standards during that year, the team should be able to let the player and the player's salary go. No strings attached.

Of course, a decrease in players' salaries doesn't necessarily mean a decrease in ticket prices. Owners' greed. But, if players' salaries go down, and ticket prices are still the same, fans would know what's happening, and hopefully the owners would be exposed.
And, all the players who are crying about the money, well, frankly, I don't care if they don't come back. Of course, they will eventually ... once they realise there aren't many other jobs out there for them.

I don't know much about this subject, so I don't know if I really should be saying anything, but I'm piecing together everything I've heard, trying to see what's fact and what's fiction. But, I believe fans really need a say in this. We're the only ones that are really 'suffering' in this battle between the players and the owners.

Last edited by rulin: 01-31-2004 at 02:20 AM.
Old
01-31-2004, 03:00 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Av
Carolina helped create this mess by signing Fedorov to that ridiculous contract in 1998 with the huge bonus for reaching the conference finals. The system must have worked for them 2 seasons ago when they made the SCF's. I'm not crying for them.

If you want a good team you have to invest money in it and spend it the right way. Colorado and Detroit have gotten much more bang for the buck than New York and Washington. It takes more than money to be a winner in this league. Money certainly helps, but I'd rather have a good GM and scouts than just the payroll of the Rangers.

All I want is a system that allows teams to keep the stars that they developed. Ottawa shouldn't be punished because Hossa, Alfredsson, Havlat, Redden, Bonk, Spezza, etc. grew together in the same organization.
is the person blaming carolina for the current money issues in the nhl - using the team that signed daigle to a contract that was only surpassed by gretzky and lemieux for an example? the daigle contract set this in motion over ten years ago. we shouldnt get into petty arguements over who did what and when-the problem needs to be fixed-every team contributed in some way to this.

Old
01-31-2004, 10:04 AM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
McCabe clarifies his point

Link

Quote:
By no means do I think I'm underpaid," said McCabe, who will earn $3.85 million (U.S.) this season. "But we're going to stand up for what we believe is right. By no means do we want a lockout; it's the last thing we want. It's going to kill us. It's going to kill our fans and the bottom line is they make us what we are. Without them, we're nothing.

"By no means are we underpaid, we just don't want to take 10 steps back the way we were in the '80s and we all feel a hard cap will do that."

Old
01-31-2004, 10:38 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

McCabe didn't play in the '80s.

"Remember the '80s!" That'll catch on.

Old
01-31-2004, 12:30 PM
Miraflores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
I forgot which player (Brad Richards maybe) bought a skybox for over $100K and donated it to underpriviledged kids all season.
OT once again, I don't know about Brad Richards but Jose Theodore did it in Montreal when he signed that fat contract.

Old
01-31-2004, 01:04 PM
Molson_HNIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraflores
OT once again, I don't know about Brad Richards but Jose Theodore did it in Montreal when he signed that fat contract.
Naslund does the same in Vancouver.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:09 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger
"Remember the '80s!" That'll catch on.
Hopefully, it will with the refs.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:17 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
This is kinda OT, but Richards gives the tickets to kids with cancer, I believe. Meets with them after every game too. He's a good, community-minded kid. Still a money-grubbing millionaire like the rest of them, but a good kid nonetheless.
Näslund also has a skybox at GM Place where kids get to see games and meet him.

I think there are many players who realize they are very fortunate, but don't want to go against the party line on this issue. If the current NHL players were in the least bit interested in paving the way for future generation, the only thing required of them is to leave a healthy league to them. Sinking the league by being too greedy does zilch for the future NHLers.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:40 PM
Cat Called Bobcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson_HNIC
Naslund does the same in Vancouver.
Redden does it in Ottawa too! It's called "Wade's World"

Closed Thread