HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Best Strategy: Let's Tank!

Old
02-20-2008, 12:01 PM
FiveHole23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Goalie View Post
I would actually say that Russell chews him up and spits him out if they were in a contest on passing accuracy and timing. Hainsey's pass is kind of like his shot spastic at best.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s935Kos7Mq8
description reads:

Columbus Blue Jackets @ Minnesota Wild...NHL Ice Hockey Minnesota Wild Columbus Blue Jackets Bouchard Belanger Rolston Burns Hainsey Foote Scores Goals Saves

Actually his stats say he is most often getting an assist. Just a point of clarification an assist does not a shot on goal make.

I can see you are coming around

You think?

I will have to respectfully disagree. I think he gives up too much in his own end and leaves the goalie hanging too much.
You just linked a youtube video, where Foote and Russel both get out of position and cost or almost cost goals. Where Hainsy scores and a Russel pass gives up 2 on 1.

Not to mention the whole "Rolston Burns Hainsy" thing is called a tag.

Rolston assisted on a Brent burns goal. And Hainsy scored during the game.

So you were saying?

I dont care that you dont like him, but give credit where credit is due.

FiveHole23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 12:15 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Forget the 2007-2008 playoffs. The CBJ needs to focus on the 2008-2009 playoffs, along with generating some excitement among the fan base. Here's how to do it.
Lee, I like most of your ideas. However, I am not a fan of this campaign of yours.

Tanking for a draft pick is lame...

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 12:43 PM
LaCosta Nostra

We don't need more draft picks, we need more proven offensive talent. If our offense was better, our defense could breathe a little easier.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Get rid of all the assistants not named Clint Malarchuk.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 12:51 PM
LaCosta Nostra

Whoever is in charge of the power play needs to be hung from the rafters..... no, I'm not talking about the noose.

Old
02-20-2008, 01:07 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Tanking may be the best strategy hockey-wise, but how many fans are going to go off & never watch another CBJ game if we win 2 games out of the remaining 20? There have to be some casual fans who don't get it & will be turned away. And Nationwide Arena is struggling to fill the seats as is.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 01:27 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

It is 2/20 today

if the trade deadline comes and goes and we still have Federov, Foote, Peca, and Vyborney on our roster and haven't dealt them for almost ready prospects or draft picks Scott Howson is not going to be half the GM I expect him to be.

In this season with so many teams looking for just that one piece Hainsey, Norrena, and even Modin might be on the block if the offer is right. This doesn't even consider these aging players who only have so many more seasons in thier NHL careers.

My only question is does the value of these players go up as the deadline nears.. or should Howson shake up an Ottawa/ Pittsburgh by sending Vyborney off to the Rangers today?

Hell hold an ebay auction: is Federov worth more to Detroit or to the Capitals?

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 02:08 PM
WapakJacketsFan

[QUOTE=LetsGOJackets!!;12619957]if the trade deadline comes and goes and we still have Federov, Foote, Peca, and Vyborney on our roster and haven't dealt them for almost ready prospects or draft picks Scott Howson is not going to be half the GM I expect him to be.

In this season with so many teams looking for just that one piece Hainsey, Norrena, and even Modin might be on the block if the offer is right. This doesn't even consider these aging players who only have so many more seasons in thier NHL careers.

My only question is does the value of these players go up as the deadline nears.. or should Howson shake up an Ottawa/ Pittsburgh by sending Vyborney off to the Rangers today?

Hell hold an ebay auction: is Federov worth more to Detroit or to the Capitals?[/QUOTE]

We should do this with damn near the entire team. Auction them off on ebay, and use the proceeds (however meager they may be) to buy the pieces we need.

WapakJacketsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 02:10 PM
LaCosta Nostra

If Feds isn't dealt, that might be a more stupid move than when Maclean traded for him. Vyborny isn't going to all of a sudden come back and be his old self next season, so get something for him while you can. Foote, we need to keep him! Peca, I lean to getting rid of him, but if we can re-sign him for around $1mil or $1.5 per year, I'll take him back for sure.

Old
02-20-2008, 02:16 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Get rid of all the assistants not named Clint Malarchuk.
I'm sold....

Get Kevin Dineen in here as one of Hitch's assistants. That dude showed more heart then the most of the players we have now.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 02:23 PM
LaCosta Nostra

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I'm sold....

Get Kevin Dineen in here as one of Hitch's assistants. That dude showed more heart then the most of the players we have now.
Man, I'd love to have Dineen back as an assistant. Now there's a guy that didn't take nights off!

Old
02-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
I'm sold....

Woohoo, I'm not alone. This train will be picking up momentum as the season continues to spiral around the drain, I think.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:26 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Lee, I like most of your ideas. However, I am not a fan of this campaign of yours.

Tanking for a draft pick is lame...
Blah Blah, totally tanking IS lame. Of course, that's how the Pittsburgh Penguins got Mario Lemeiux.

Perhaps we should explore a redefinition of the word "tank" for this conversation?

We tank on the road. Starting Norrena every game with our lack of offense should do the trick. 10 losses right there.

One of my points is to trade Feds, Foote and Vybes. What we get in return may not be able to start on an NHL roster. So we replace them with Crunchies and evaluate RFAs like Lindstrom with our top players.

At home, we start Pazzy. Even with our best effort, we'll only win half of our remaining home games. That's another 5 losses right there.

So with another 10 points, that's only 73 points. Maybe we win an extra one to make it 75 points - the most successful season ever.

Ah, screw it. We play to win!

leesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 10:33 PM
JACKETS! on the PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
The countdown on puck-rakers is starting to make me laugh..

Countdown: 31 points, 20 games (15-4-1)

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/

The day that the blue jackets successfully go 15-4-1 in a stretch will be a great, great day. (God willing)

I agree, tanking makes the most sense, sadly enough
15-4-1?!? Every day it gets more and more insane. Every player would have to be hit on the head and they'd each have to forget who they were before they'd become "unconscious" to the extent that they could engender that kind of run.

JACKETS! on the PP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Never tank on purpose-never! One must think of principle, respect and the next season. If any player or coach ever said losing is better for the future big picture of the organization they should be fired.

Try to win every game even if you only win one out of 82...tanking on purpose is crazy talk.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Hugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Never tank on purpose-never! One must think of principle, respect and the next season. If any player or coach ever said losing is better for the future big picture of the organization they should be fired.

Try to win every game even if you only win one out of 82...tanking on purpose is crazy talk.
Nailed it.

You play to win the game. You don't play it just to play it.

We've complained all year that this team loses too easily and now we WANT them to do it?

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 05:20 AM
Bluebengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I hit what I thought were the highlights here. The problem is that there are some fans, judging by the people on this board, already trying to rationalize this team going the cheap route again this off-season. Well, I'm exiting that bus. I wanted us to try the band aid approach last year in the FA market. I wanted a Smolinski or a Perreault. We got Peca. Close enough, same difference.

It wasn't enough. The pull and pray method of fixing this team's glaring holes is done. The only thing that will get fans back is to (1) spend money on talent and (2) win with said talent.

I'm sick of excuses. I'm sick of hearing about the market we're in and revenues. This team has additional revenues from PSL's that other teams don't. Its ticket prices may not be comparable to Toronto or New York, but they are above many teams in the league (including Anaheim, who somehow manages to spend to the cap with that revenue).

And if this team (1) does nothing at the deadline and (2) does nothing bold on draft day and (3) goes through the UFA period with a whimper, I don't want to hear a SINGLE person tell me that I should be happy and positive about that because for the last 2 years we have talked over and over about how things will be different when the Foote and Feds contracts were over. If there isn't a significant change this summer, I really have to question the commitment of the ownership, the management and the coaching staff towards putting a winning team on the ice. I'm not some rube that just started watching hockey when we got a team and even those who were have had 8 years to see other teams and learn about the sport. We're not so stupid we don't know the difference between a contender and what we have. Its time for ownership and management to right this ship.

Tanking won't yield much, but its time for this team to do something bold. The closest thing so far in our existence was (1) trading up for Nash and (2) acquiring Fedorov. For some teams that's a slow off-season.
Amen brotha, well said and i couldn't agree more. Everybody give this man a standing ovation for the best post i've read in a long time

Bluebengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 06:21 AM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
You just linked a youtube video, where Foote and Russel both get out of position and cost or almost cost goals. Where Hainsy scores and a Russel pass gives up 2 on 1.

Not to mention the whole "Rolston Burns Hainsy" thing is called a tag.

Rolston assisted on a Brent burns goal. And Hainsy scored during the game.

So you were saying?

I dont care that you dont like him, but give credit where credit is due.
Yep was busy at work and only looked at the tag for that one. Didn't actually watch it. figured it had to be a good one since my search was "Hainsey gets burned". Oh well not the first time I have looked like a moron. If I actually have time to watch through them I will get back to you with some other decent links though.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote