HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

All rumors point to a forward, We need a D-Man !!

Old
02-20-2008, 05:18 PM
albertonhabsfan

vCash: 500
All rumors point to a forward, We need a D-Man !!

Anyone else agree? We need a top 4 pairing defenceman for a legit playoff run. right know we have 3 we can rely on, Markov, komi and Hamarlak. our # 4567 is JUST FAIR and will not carry us in the playoffs, Suprise everyone Bob and get us some D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

albertonhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 05:19 PM
guest1467

Barring injuries, our top 6 is perfect IMO.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 05:22 PM
znk

I prefer to add a key player up front. Our 3rd and 4th line shouldnt be interchangable like that. If we add a D man it's a secondary move and should not be the main focus right now. Priority is get a impact player if the price is right and then get a veteran presence on D as a 4th.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 05:48 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Barring injuries, our top 6 is perfect IMO.
we could have a better/more experienced #4

but I think that if we have a NEED, it's at center... I'd love koivu to be our 3rd line center with Latendresse and Ryder and e.g. Richards to patrol the 1st "B" with S.Kost and Higgins

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 06:10 PM
HabsoluteFate

I Kovalev was to injure himself tonight who would replace him on the team?

Montreal is still mostly a one line team in that Koivu's line cannot be relied on yet although the last few games they have played better

I think Montreal needs a superstar on the forward position...

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Aznrx8

Yup a guy like Richards would be perfect. The contract is not the bad. The guy is really good and I think he could help a lot, he's good with faceoff, pretty fast, good passer, he plays a good two way game and also plays on the point. He's also one of the most durable player (Three season straight of 82 games one of 80 then two of 82. and mostly very good in the playoff not like Hossa (Who isn't as ad as people think)

Aznrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Kriss E

I think our bottom pair is as good as it'll get, you can't really ask much better than what we've seen from Bouillon-Gorges for your low paired Ds.
O'Byrne is fitting the 4th place D pretty well with Hamrlik.

Hamrlik is such a force, he played the most min yesterday on D.
Markov played such a great game, especially in the 3rd and OT.
Komi was part of the reason of our turnaround.

Man i love our top 3. And for quite a while now, i love our bottom 3 as well.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Guy Caballero

Our D is the best in the East by a fair bit. (Ottawa's close, actually, but the next team after that is pretty far back.) No need for change.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Eggbeater

Who's this "Hamarlak" guy? I would not rely on an unknown on defence.

Eggbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertonhabsfan View Post
Anyone else agree? We need a top 4 pairing defenceman for a legit playoff run. right know we have 3 we can rely on, Markov, komi and Hamarlak. our # 4567 is JUST FAIR and will not carry us in the playoffs, Suprise everyone Bob and get us some D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd get a rental, i wouldn't spend cap room next year on another d-man. Let O'byrne Bouillon and Gorges play next year plus maybe Valentenko.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

We've all seen how Hamr's recent short haitus weakened our D.

We need an experience 2nd pairing D.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 07:43 AM
Domenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Let O'byrne Bouillon and Gorges play next year plus maybe Valentenko.
Agreed. Although the Habs would be better served acquiring a D rather than a forward, unless it's Brian Campbell, and he signs longterm, I would want to see that spot filled with one of the young defensemen next year.

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

If we make a trade, I want to be able to keep the player for a whole. I don't want a rental. That being said, in one year, we will have 3 defencemen making more than 4.5M, so a good chunk of our cap room will be gone with half of our blue line.

That's why I want us to use our young defencemen who'll come for cheap for many years to come. If we get another good top 4 defenceman, it might hurst us in the long run.

And I'm saying this because I have faith in our blue line. I think it's pretty good as it is right now...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:02 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznrx8 View Post
Yup a guy like Richards would be perfect. The contract is not the bad. The guy is really good and I think he could help a lot, he's good with faceoff, pretty fast, good passer, he plays a good two way game and also plays on the point. He's also one of the most durable player (Three season straight of 82 games one of 80 then two of 82. and mostly very good in the playoff not like Hossa (Who isn't as ad as people think)
If his contract not bad, what's your definition of a bad contract... he certainly doesn't deserve the 7,8mil he's getting... and he's got 3 more years like that...

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
First of all, Gainey is not after a rental and the Habs have more quality young d-men nearing the NHL short term(O'byrne Valentenko Carle plus Gorges(5th or 6th)) than star forwards. Koivu and Kovalev are aging so in order to make a run for 3-5 years we need an impact forward in his prime(Hossa Jokinen Havlat Richards)

Old
02-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:

Ummmmm What about Streit? What about O'byrne? Both of these guys have been playing very well, we'd have to trade one for a veteran top 4 guy...which I'm not sure is the right move. I think that whatever happens this year, we also have to look to next year, and I want to do make as few changes as possible to the lineup unless we're talking adding an impact player. Anything else will simply fix what's not necessarilly broken.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:26 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
we could have a better/more experienced #4

but I think that if we have a NEED, it's at center... I'd love koivu to be our 3rd line center with Latendresse and Ryder and e.g. Richards to patrol the 1st "B" with S.Kost and Higgins
Wow, why don't we just ask him not to re-sign with us? Throw mud in his face as a clincher. "Hey Saku, you had a career year last year, this year hasn't been so great so you'e going to a checking line for which you're completely unsuited...Oh and by the way would you like to re-sign with us again?"

I think that if we get a centre like Jokinen or Marleau we could easilly put Saks on the wing. He's a team player, he would accept the change of position and we could have two strong offensive lines Kost-Pleks-Kovy, Higgs-Marleau/Jokinen-Koivu

Putting Koivu on the third line to me tells Koivu that he's done with the team. I'd rather trade him than to do that.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:31 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:
Le sad... you don't know anything about hockey.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Beakermania*

We have 7 guys who i feel confident in back there on d right now....

Markov - Komi
Hammer - Obyrne
Gorges - bouillion
Streit

I have no confidence in breezy or Dandy on defence....

With that said I think we need to add at least one more depth d-man. Injuries happen in the playoffs, its a long 2 month grind if you get to the finals.... You need at least 8 reliable dmen who can play in your lineup IMO. Ask buffalo what happened against Carolina in the ECF two years ago... 1 more dman and they could've had a cup.

I'd like to see Bob add one more experience 7-8th dman who can come in and play 15 minutes a game if we get injury problems....

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:32 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Accuse me of being crazy but I wouldn't mind seeing Valentenko called up and used in a couple games so we can see what he can do in the NHL. It'd be safe to know what depth is available on the farm on the D position.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Accuse me of being crazy but I wouldn't mind seeing Valentenko called up and used in a couple games so we can see what he can do in the NHL. It'd be safe to know what depth is available on the farm on the D position.
you wont be able to do that before the deadline... he's hurt..

Old
02-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
We have 7 guys who i feel confident in back there on d right now....

Markov - Komi
Hammer - Obyrne
Gorges - bouillion
Streit

I have no confidence in breezy or Dandy on defence....

With that said I think we need to add at least one more depth d-man. Injuries happen in the playoffs, its a long 2 month grind if you get to the finals.... You need at least 8 reliable dmen who can play in your lineup IMO. Ask buffalo what happened against Carolina in the ECF two years ago... 1 more dman and they could've had a cup.

I'd like to see Bob add one more experience 7-8th dman who can come in and play 15 minutes a game if we get injury problems....
I could see a guy like Montador or Hedican for a draft pick(4th or 5th) or mid to low end prospect(Locke or Milroy).

Old
02-21-2008, 08:36 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I wouldn't touch it.I like O'Byrne and Hamrlik playing togheter and the Bouillon/Gorges duo as also been excellent.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I could see a guy like Montador or Hedican for a draft pick(4th or 5th) or mid to low end prospect(Locke or Milroy).
I believe our 4th and 5th picks in '08 have already been traded, so we'd be looking at the 09 draft or the low end prospect. Can someone confirm, Is there a site that tells which picks are owned by which teams??

But those are the type of guys I'd love to get if possible...

Old
02-21-2008, 08:46 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

we definitely don't have a NEED at D... the O'Byrne / Hamrlik pair is very good. We have Streit who can play D, Brisebois as our #8 and at the very worst we could use Dandy for a game or two (that is, if we get three or more D men down).

As for next year, Markov, Komisarek, Hamrlik, Bouillon and O'Byrne (not sure) are all signed, and Gorges is a young RFA so... chances are next year we'll be in the same boat as this year, too many D...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote