HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Prospects Coaches Quotes

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2004, 02:49 PM
Grant Dovey

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Grant Dovey Send a message via AIM to Grant Dovey Send a message via MSN to Grant Dovey Send a message via Yahoo to Grant Dovey
Prospects Coaches Quotes

Hey,
Over the past two weeks I have talked to many coaches about Flyers prospects they coach. Here is what I have gathered.

Mathieu Brunelle
"Most talented player I have seen. He is very similar to Justin Williams. Brunelle skates well and carries the puck well, young guy, 20 years old. It took him a bit to warm up to the pro game, but he is a real asset offensively. Basically he needs to be smart defensively then everything will come just because of his talent offensively. He provides us with so much. He will be a fantastic player."
Jackson Hegland, Assistant Coach of Trenton Titans

David Nyström
"Most prospects develop their games when they become older but Nyström has been struggling. It seems he reached his peak at 19, 20 years of age and has point production has decreased the last 3-4 seasons. I'd still say he is a slightly above average 2nd-tier league player and a top 5 forward on his team. When it comes to the NHL Nyström is a long-shot but I think he could become a good SEL player in a couple of years."
Johan Nilsson, Webmaster of EliteProspects.com

Mike Richards
"He has had the best play on our team, probably one of the top five in the league. He did a great job at the World Junior Championships for Canada. Mike is our team captain and he is a very complete players. He needs to work on leg strength, core strength, but overall very complete and about to lead us into the playoffs."
Peter DeBoer, Head Coach of the Kitchener Rangers

Colin Shields
"He's doing great. He is the leading scorer, a point a game. I think we are 3rd or 4th in the country and he is the top scorer so that is good for him. He is playing real well on both ends of the ice. He has elevated his game physically and defensively, also a natural scorer. I am proud of Shieldsy how he has upgraded his game, he is now on the penalty kill and he of course is on the powerplay. He needs to continue to focus on his defensive game and he will need that even more so in the next level, but I am real pleased with him, he is playing hard and producing and he is a player who we can use in all situations."
Tim Whitehead, Head Coach of the University of Maine Black Bears Men's Ice Hockey Team

Jeff Smith
"He has played pretty well, he is a guy that when he is comfortable he is at his best and he has been good with that. He loves keep it very simple. Smith has been playing tough and been bery good about that this year."
Jackson Hegland, Head Coach of Trenton Titans

Marko Kauppinen
"Markko Kauppinen has had reduced icetime because of TPS getting three new top six guys (Vykoukal, Schneider and Hulkkonen) before this season and his points show that with only two assists through 27 games. He is a talented player though so I think as soon as he finds himself a niche on the team he will once again get better minutes and thus produce more. Needs to work more on the physical and defensive parts of the game if he is ever to make himself a name in the SM-liiga, also start to produce more since his numbers don't show much of his puckmoving talent."
Spiffy, Hockey's Future Message Board User

Nikita Korovkin
"Nikita has had a pretty good year. He is the leading scoring defenseman, handles the puck well, shoots the puck nice. He has added to the powerplay and overall stability. He needs to work on his tempo of game, quickness, his strength in order to make the big step a lot quicker."
Don Nachbaur, Head Coach of the Tri-City Americans

Joey Mormina
"Joey has played very well defensively. He is on one of our powerplay lines and he has been very steady. Joey has helped so much from the red line in, such a reach, instincts are incredible, and his size is definitely not an issue. The strength and fitness of the NHL level will open his eyes. We tell him everyday he needs to get stronger and he should focus on that. He has easily played the most minutes on the team, a ton, that tends to wear players down. Joey has so much poise and that is something you cannot teach to players."
Stan Moore, Head Coach of the Colgate University Raiders Men's Ice Hockey Team

David Printz
"I would rank him pretty much on the same level as Nyström when it comes to having an impact in the SEL as well as in the NHL. The only way he will play in the SEL next season is if his team AIK gets promoted, but that is not very likely to happen. I'd say that Printz is the #4, #5 defenseman on his team (a very young team, especially at D) and he mostly plays it safe and from what I have seen is not very willing to join the rush."
Johan Nilsson, Webmaster of EliteProspects.com

Jussi Timonen
"Jussi Timonen is down with Jukurit in Mestis (2nd tier) to get his confidence up I guess since he hasn't been successful offensively with TPS in the SM-liiga. His points there are 1+4 for 5 points in 11 points. In the SM-liiga the talents that showed the most were his willingness to work hard, his physical play and his pace, it shows that he thinks about what moves to make and still doesn't get intimidated nor disturbed by the opposition, knows how to hold the puck and when to let it go and so on. In Mestis he gets the time to refine his offensive game and he sure has some skill there too, even though it has yet to show on the SM-liiga level."
Spiffy, Hockey's Future Message Board User

Rejean Beauchemin
"He has been real strong for us, been strong since day one after he came back from Flyers camp. When he has have an average outing he has bounced back to a better outing. I think he needs to work on consistency, maybe he will allow a goal thats shouldn't be alouded sometimes. In this day and age when goals are at a premium it is hard to let up one up and then get it back."
Peter Anholt, Head Coach of the Prince Albert Raiders

Bernd Bruckler
"This year he has been our mainstay and one of the reasons we are ranked 4th in the country and 1st in WCHA. He has matured since last year and his maturity has aloud him to be in the place he is in. He needs to work on transitional situations, by that I me play in the nuetral zone and he needs to prepare himself the quick attack. His big strength is he doesn't give up many second chances. He is an European goalie so he tends to play deep in his net at times. He has worked very hard and he presents himself pretty well, he has been on top of his game all year."
Troy Ward, Associate Coach of the University of Wisconsin Badgers Men's Ice Hockey Team

Dov Grumet-Morris
"Dov has had a pretty consistent season. To date we haven't played that great together as a team, we are hovering around the .500 mark. There hasn't been much on ice success, but he is one of the more consistent players for sure. I can't really tell what he needs to work on since I am just a college hockey coach. He is a very, very competitive person, extremely athletic and very attentive.
Mark Mazzoleni, Head Coach of the Harvard University Crimson Men's Ice Hockey Team

Old
02-01-2004, 04:47 PM
54fightin

Great Job

thanks for the posting.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:00 PM
Rex88

Thanks alot.
Shields and Brunelle are really interesting. Will be good to see if they can make a push and get to an NHL level in the next few years.
Anyone know why Brunelle was sent from AHL to the ECHL?

Old
02-01-2004, 06:48 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
good job Grant!

Old
02-01-2004, 06:58 PM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Thanx a lot dude!
Really interesting post.

Old
02-02-2004, 02:59 AM
Rails

Send a message via AIM to Rails
Thanks a lot.

Old
02-02-2004, 11:20 AM
bobbyboucher24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88
Anyone know why Brunelle was sent from AHL to the ECHL?
I was wondering the same thing. His defense must be pretty bad. That being said, he struggled at Trenton early on so he might need extra time to get adjusted to the higher level of play. But i certainly expected him to be a mainstay of the Phantoms this season.

Old
02-02-2004, 02:45 PM
Spiffy

vCash:
Nice method of compiling information of prospects. Very clever. Share your wisdom with posters on the other boards.

Closed Thread