HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How Can I Tell If I'm Weaing My Leg Pads Correctly?

Old
02-21-2008, 08:20 AM
The Goaltending Guru

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Goaltending Guru
How Can I Tell If I'm Weaing My Leg Pads Correctly?

This is going to sound really bad, but I really need some help. I just joined a roller hockey league and am playing goaltender for a couple of the house teams (the team in the beginner division and the team in the advanced division). I played goalie for one year in high school, but that's it. I played my first game in 10 years for the beginner division team last week and played a game last night with them. After last night's game, I got home and visited the message board of the rink I play at and there were two people on there (one of them the dude that was the ref for my game) laughing at the fact that I had apparently worn my leg pads backwards last night.

To the best of my knowledge, I didn't think I wore them backwards. This is news to me, especially since NO ONE, not even any of my own teammates, mentioned to me that they looked like they might be on backwards. I've got my first game in the advanced league tonight (I know what you're thinking..."You shouldn't be playing in the advanced league if you don't even know which leg which pad goes on". I know, but the league is hard-up for goalies, and since I play for free as a goalie, I figured I would play two nights a week). Anyway, I've got my first advanced league game tonight and I don't want to go out there and embarrass myself by wearing my pads backwards.

What are the easiest ways to make sure that I'm wearing my leg pads correctly? And also, with the strap(s) that go through the bottom of my skates, do I put just one strap through or two straps through? PLEASE HELP!

The Goaltending Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Goalie27*

Send a message via AIM to Goalie27*
The easiest way to make sure you have them on right is to make sure the piece that sticks out a little farther on the front is on the outside, not the inside. Ok, that wording was terrible, but look at the picture and you'll get it:

The little ridge on the pads (the part with RBK on it) is on the outside of his legs, not the inside. Another thing to notice is the buckles for the straps should be on the outside. Should be easy enough, and eventually you'll just be so used to it that you'll know something is wrong when you start to put the pads on and the buckles are in the wrong place.

And for the skate straps, that depends on the pads... My old pads had 2, my new ones have 1. I'm pretty sure most of the newer pads only have one skate strap, but I don't know most pads well enough to say that for sure.

Goalie27* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 10:56 AM
the_pen_is_mightier

I think that the poster above is trying to say; the vertical roll goes on the outside. Besides that, I'm sure that you have some form of landing gear on the pads, and those would obviously go on the inside so that you "land" on them when you butterfly.
As for the boot straps, if you have two, then yes, put them both through. If you don't like having two, just pull one out. That easy.

For reference:

Last edited by the_pen_is_mightier: 02-21-2008 at 11:07 AM.
the_pen_is_mightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 11:14 AM
mattihp

When I played I finally understood how they should be by seeing that it said RBK on one side of the pads, and that there'd be no reason for having that on the inside ^^

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 11:17 AM
The Goaltending Guru

Thank you VERY MUCH, both of you! This will help me greatly! This is why I love this site! Everyone is so helpful!

Old
02-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Gino 14

Don't worry too much about the pads on the wrong legs, depending on the pads, some are almost the same for either leg. Your own team mates may not have said anything because they didn't know any different, it's just not that big a deal.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 12:07 PM
the_pen_is_mightier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Don't worry too much about the pads on the wrong legs, depending on the pads, some are almost the same for either leg. Your own team mates may not have said anything because they didn't know any different, it's just not that big a deal.
Unless he's wearing street hockey pads, this is absolutely false. Wearing pads backwards is like wearing your shoes on the wrong feet; they'll fit, but that's about it. It is a HUGE deal.

As for your teammates not telling you, they're not goalies so what the heck would they know anyways? The last thing you want to do is take goaltending advice from a forward.

BTW...what kind of pads do you have anyway?

Old
02-21-2008, 12:24 PM
arcticwinter

Like I tell the parents all the time,a good rule of thumb is if you can see the advertising on the pads when there on like a previous poster mentioned.

arcticwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pen_is_mightier View Post
Unless he's wearing street hockey pads, this is absolutely false. Wearing pads backwards is like wearing your shoes on the wrong feet; they'll fit, but that's about it. It is a HUGE deal.
Nothing like making a mountain out of a molehill. The fact that the pads fit and didn't mess his game up too much is a pretty good indicator that there will be no life long damage. It does not come close to being "a HUGE deal". I wasn't suggesting that he continue, just that it's not the end of the world and to let it slide. Take a couple deep breaths and try to put things in perspective.

Old
02-21-2008, 02:12 PM
The Goaltending Guru

Quote:

As for your teammates not telling you, they're not goalies so what the heck would they know anyways? The last thing you want to do is take goaltending advice from a forward.

BTW...what kind of pads do you have anyway?
I TOTALLY agree! It IS a big deal if my pads are on backwards, because not only is it wrong, but when there's a couple of hot chicks in attendance (as there are at some of the games), it's embarrassing if I'm skating around in front of the net, actually beleiving that I look normal, when in reality, I look like a fool!

I also agree with not taking any advice from my teammates. They all come up to me at the beginning of each game (since I'm still getting to know some of their names) and they say "Dude, I give you props. I could never be a goalie". Well, yeah, of course not. Because you can't frickin' imagine not scoring goals and being in the offensive spotlight and getting the attention of those two hot blondes in the corner watching the game. Last night, the opposing team's goalie didn't show up and they couldn't find a sub, so they played without a goalie and got an extra skater. Our team somehow managed to lose 14-8 and and were trailing 7-1 after the first period. One of the forwards came skating by during a stoppage in play and tried to give me a tip and I was just thinking the same advice you just gave..."Ya' know what? You guys can't even put the puck in an empty net, so don't even BEGIN to critique my goaltending tonight! ESPECIALLY when not a single one of you is back here playing Defenseman for me!"

And the pads are some generic brand called "DR" and the model name says "Bulletproof". I bought them from one of the other goalies in the league for $100 (including leg pads, matching catcher, matching blocker, helmet and chest protector). All that equipment had only been used for 3 games (and it shows...it's practically new!).

Old
02-21-2008, 04:21 PM
the_pen_is_mightier

Quote:
Nothing like making a mountain out of a molehill. The fact that the pads fit and didn't mess his game up too much is a pretty good indicator that there will be no life long damage. It does not come close to being "a HUGE deal". I wasn't suggesting that he continue, just that it's not the end of the world and to let it slide. Take a couple deep breaths and try to put things in perspective.
My God, I stressed the importance of wearing protective equipment properly and you get your panties in a bunch. And you say that I'm the one that's making a mountain out of a molehill...sheesh.

Yeah, he got away with it, but that doesn't make it any less dangerous. Fact is, he stepped on the ice without even knowing how to properly protect himself. That shows that safety isn't his top priority, when it should be. Telling him to "let it slide" isn't going to steer him in the right direction.

1) You brushed it off as no biggie. That's a poor way of thinking about it. 2) He doesn't know what he's doing (yet).
Neither of you seemed to realize just how important it is (well he does, to some extent), hence why I stressed the importance.

Old
02-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
My God, I stressed the importance of wearing protective equipment properly and you get your panties in a bunch. And you say that I'm the one that's making a mountain out of a molehill...sheesh.

Yeah, he got away with it, but that doesn't make it any less dangerous. Fact is, he stepped on the ice without even knowing how to properly protect himself. That shows that safety isn't his top priority, when it should be. Telling him to "let it slide" isn't going to steer him in the right direction.

1) You brushed it off as no biggie. That's a poor way of thinking about it. 2) He doesn't know what he's doing (yet).
Neither of you seemed to realize just how important it is (well he does, to some extent), hence why I stressed the importance.
I'm trying to stop laughing long enough to believe that you're really this knotted up about a one time event in a roller hockey game, in a beginners league. Tell us all how, with the pads on the wrong legs, he's exposing himself to danger. Are you related in some way to Chicken Little, cause it sounds like the sky is falling once again.

The tears are still coming, I haven't laughed at something that pathetic in weeks.

Old
02-22-2008, 10:22 AM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
actually DR isn't a bad brand. My wife has some DR gloves that she got on eBay and they've been doing her pretty good. There are some NHL guys that rock the DR stuff like Jagr (even if he does color over the DR logo and stencil in the RBK logo).

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 06:24 PM
MikeD

Quote:
Sorry, Gino.

He was right. Not only is it a functional issue it is a safety issue. When any pad is on the opposite leg, the buckles are also now on the inside, NEXT TO EACH OTHER. Even speed clips can lock together. The other problem is with the skate gusset. They are normally tapered to the inside. When worn "backward" the taper is the wrong way. On ice, that can lead to WAY EARLY edge loss, resulting in major slip out and some of the most sever groin injury you can sustain. Also, the inner area of the pad has significant increased protection from puck impact while the outside"calf" wrap is to protect from skate cut. For roller its not as significant but the need for that inner protection is more important for the roller goalie. With no skate for the goalie in roller, they do not have a boot designed with a rigidity to protect from puck impact that a goalie would find a regular event. A good REF would have recognized the issue, HALTED play and made sure the goalie gear was being worn correctly, as they would for any out player required safety gear. Its not much more different than a player on hte ice with out hte chin strap secured or a mouth guard not fully in.

The knee Lock system and knee boards are designed to work in a specific way. When reversed the landing gear and knee lock are insufficient to assure that a goalie does not drive a knee directly into the ice/floor. Were you aware that severe blunt force trauma has been listed as a possible cause for onset necrotizing faciaitis(FLESH EATING DISEASE). A goalie for the US Army was struck in hte upper body due to insuffient protection by a MYLEC STREET BALL and nearly lost his life. The Doctor in Japan recognized it. He was flown back state side to Walter Reed where he nearly died. You see, most of us carry the pathogen that causes this but in the event of a sever blunt force trauma it can be released into the fascia where it then can become deadly if not treated RAPIDLY.

Functionally, if you look at a pads construction, the outer edge of most pads are cordura or some other type of "canvas" material and the inside is a synthetic leather. This is for slide when on ice. Roller pads will have cordura on Both sides since it will slide (somewhat) and is more durable on the dry surface. Rotation of the pad into a "profly" is also seriously affected.

Is it funny when a goalie does this...HELL YEAH. We all make mistakes. What I find very funny is the fact that the HSBC arena (sabres) has a "fresco" of a goalie above the front entry door. It is to the left of the revolving door. Take a look....the guy who did the the art put the goalies leg pads on backward and the cage is the design of a baseball catchers cage! lol

by the way, still think neck guards are less important than a mouth guard? ZEDNICK, good thing he had his mouth guard in. he might have gotten a concussion.....(yeah low blow but I couldn't resist)

Last edited by MikeD: 02-22-2008 at 07:03 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 06:41 PM
MikeD

" And the pads are some generic brand called "DR" and the model name says "Bulletproof". I bought them from one of the other goalies in the league for $100 (including leg pads, matching catcher, matching blocker, helmet and chest protector). All that equipment had only been used for 3 games (and it shows...it's practically new!)."

DR is not a generic brand. They are a quality pad. You got a great deal ! DR does not pay the fee to the NHL so the logo can NOT be shown. If I recall correctly that is 40,000US PER SEASON for EACH catagory. 40,000 for leg pads, another fee for gloves, another for sticks, another for helmet.....etc etc. It adds up to huge money.

For the straps, do what works best for you. The bottom skate straps secure the pad to the skate gusset. Thats the part of the pad that sits on top of the skate. The DR's, assuming yours are 5.2's, have two straps for this. the one at hte middle of hte skate gussett, closest to the toe goes under the arch of the foot. For roller, this one is normally in the way. Just buckle it into its first hole and let it sit on TOP of your skate under the pad. The strap at the back would normally go through the last opening in your blade mount for ice. For roller this doesnt work. You can just put it around behind your skate boot or if in sneakers, loosly behind around the back of the ankle. You will have to experiment to find what works best.

As long as the pad will rotate over for butterfly and recover to the front when you regain your skates, you have it right. IF you have to keep pushing the pad back to front after a recovery, keep trying something slightly tighter til they do (not too tight!) As for the straps up the leg, at the calf area, you should be able to comfortably slip your four fingers under the strap. At the knee, just secure enough to make sure that when you do butterfly or drop, that your knee stays on the landing gear. Top thigh strap? Why do they even still put this strap on? its useless! Simply put around leg and in first hole to keep it out of the way. Whne standing totally upright and knees locked you should not feel your straps pulling on your legs or knee. How much looser past that is up to you.

Last edited by MikeD: 02-22-2008 at 07:06 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote