HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

0t- Ps3 , Xbox , Wii

View Poll Results: Which one would you rather have and why?
PS3 38 40.00%
XBOX 40 42.11%
WII 17 17.89%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkdp View Post
what is this You can load Fedora O/S on PS3
Yup!

Fedora 7 and others...

It's what really wowed me about the PS3...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3_linux

With a few hack, you can even run WinXP on the Fedora for PS3....

MS don't like that one bit.

Altho if you intend to do it, do so before saving ANYTHING on your hard drive as it has to do some kind of reformating.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:14 PM
CrazyShea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Yup!

Fedora 7 and others...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3_linux

With a few hack, you can even run WinXP on the Fedora for PS3....

MS don't like that one bit.
Theyre actually a version of linux made just for the ps3. its called yellow dog. If anyone has tried installing os on theyre ps3 can you tell me how it effects the system if there are any

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sumhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyshea View Post
I think the review sites are pretty biased around the xbox360. And from what we have seen from gamespot(the kane and lynch incident) i dont really trust reviews from those sites. If you listen to game scores you will miss out on alot of good games. Nhl08 is identical to me for xbox and ps3 but i think xbox has 60fps and ps3 runs on 30.

I agreed with you gamespot is bs...I trust more IGN, Gametrailers, etc...

Sumhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
VGTvidz

First read this

Then.. for those who says "HD DVD is dead"... well get your info, Microsoft will release a Blu-Ray external drive before xmas.

Microsoft is also trying to buy EPIC.. you might wonder why?? Because most 1st person shooter are based on that engine (Unreal 3)...

If you like to install your games on your console (see the new games from Capcom) or download freaking 500MB+ patches, go with the PS3... yes I'm a xbox360 lover, yes mine fried but it was the 1st gen and microsoft gave me a 3 year warranty because of that.

VGTvidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I'm sure you have your preference, but I find that extremely hard to believe.
Well, the graphique is way better in a PC then a PS3. Well, it depend of the power of your PC, but mine have good setting and you can see the difference. I've seen the two and the gameplay is better in PC than a PS3.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:21 PM
CrazyShea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Well, the graphique is way better in a PC then a PS3. Well, it depend of the power of your PC, but mine have good setting and you can see the difference. I've seen the two and the gameplay is better in PC than a PS3.
Just curious as to how its different? Ive seen the ps3 and xbox version and the only difference i could see was the ps3's looked a bit better graphic wise but not much

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGTvidz View Post
First read this

Then.. for those who says "HD DVD is dead"... well get your info, Microsoft will release a Blu-Ray external drive before xmas.

Microsoft is also trying to buy EPIC.. you might wonder why?? Because most 1st person shooter are based on that engine (Unreal 3)...

If you like to install your games on your console (see the new games from Capcom) or download freaking 500MB+ patches, go with the PS3... yes I'm a xbox360 lover, yes mine fried but it was the 1st gen and microsoft gave me a 3 year warranty because of that.

The developer worked on it before Sony published developer softwares to help every one of his issues. Most flaws he mentions is related to that, because the Cellcore wasn't used as it should've.

I've played both consoles and don't find much difference with the graphics and mind you, those were all games developed BEFORE Sony released the much anticipated (by dev companies) new line of dev software kits (came out in oct-nov 07, the article was written in oct 07) AND played on a Full HD highend screen.

Oh, and the MS bluRay add-on, will make the total cost of the 360 much higher than the top of the line PS3 80HD version....

Also, the open-source dev library from Sony is what WILL make exclusives much better because they won't have to think in the lines of "we'll do the game for the lower grade platform and adapt it to Sony's. They'll have much more to work with as time goes by, that's why devs were frisky at first because of the time it would take, but are now much more welcoming as they now the library will make games bigger and better and take full capacity of the Cellcore, BluRay and PS3 components.

I'll try to find you the perspective of a Japanese dev I read in January...

Last edited by Ozymandias: 02-20-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old
02-20-2008, 08:24 PM
VGTvidz

Quote:
Just curious as to how its different? Ive seen the ps3 and xbox version and the only difference i could see was the ps3's looked a bit better graphic wise but not much
PC's now have Directx 10.1 video card which means it support the newest pixel shadders and everything. Got right there, you'll see the difference between an actual powerful PC and a PS3/XBOX360

Old
02-20-2008, 08:27 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Theyre actually a version of linux made just for the ps3. its called yellow dog. If anyone has tried installing os on theyre ps3 can you tell me how it effects the system if there are any
Its made in a way that its impossible to screw up your system. You can force boot into your ps3 "console" if you screw up your linux install somehow...(by holding on to the power button).
Having said that i honestly dont really use linux on the ps3...have it as a vmware session on one of my PCs (acts as a server) so i honestly dont have a need to have it on my PS3...its more of a "wow" factor and i think it gives hackers less insentive to try and get the ps3 to be moddable for backups

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
First read this

You think Sony is going to let Microsoft produce an external Blu-Ray player that is both similar in quality and/or price to the PS3.. it's very doubtful. I bet the X-Box 360 Blu-Ray add-on goes for at least $300, probably more.

Sony isn't going to let X-Box win the war that easily.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:30 PM
VGTvidz

Quote:
I've played both consoles and don't find much difference with the graphics and mind you, those were all games developed BEFORE Sony released the much anticipated (by dev companies) new line of dev software kits AND played on a Full HD highend screen.

Good! The only problem I have with this? They are still going to have a hard time porting video games using the Unreal 3 engine (some games have even been cancelled on the PS3 because it's too complicated to do so) and as far as I'm concerned, they won't stop using that engine anytime soon because it easy to use and works perfectly on 2 platforms... PC & XBOX360

By the way, Frontlines : Fuel Of War is amazing...

Old
02-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
PS3 sounds the best to me. Best graphics capability, free online play and a Blu-Ray player. They need more games for it though. I have a WII it was a gift and it's Okay but I would rather have the PS3

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:32 PM
shofixti

PC. Best graphics, best online and the most games by far. Emulation of SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, etc is a plus. Also keyboard + mouse is the most accurate way to play shooters or strategy games. You can plug in a ps2 style controller or the 360 one if you feel like it as well

shofixti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
PC's now have Directx 10.1 video card which means it support the newest pixel shadders and everything. Got right there, you'll see the difference between an actual powerful PC and a PS3/XBOX360
Yet such a PC with such capabilities will cost upwards to 800$, over 1000$ if you don't know how to get it cheaper.

But that's besides the point, everybody with a bit of PC knowledge knows PCs are better for graphics, it's always been that way, yet I prefer a console for gaming, because I use my PC for many other things than gaming.

Old
02-20-2008, 08:33 PM
VGTvidz

Quote:

You think Sony is going to let Microsoft produce an external Blu-Ray player that is both similar in quality and/or price to the PS3.. it's very doubtful. I bet the X-Box 360 Blu-Ray add-on goes for at least $300, probably more.

Sony isn't going to let X-Box win the war that easily.
By the time its going to be release, standalone blu-ray players are going to be a lot cheaper... Sony is developping a new lense that is a lot smaller and cheaper to produce... the players will be smaller and cheaper for the end-user... and also, you can now buy a blu-ray player for 400-500$. Just wait another year and it's going to be cheap a lot cheaper

Old
02-20-2008, 08:35 PM
VGTvidz

Quote:
Yet such a PC with such capabilities will cost upwards to 800$, over 1000$ if you don't know how to get it cheaper.

But that's besides the point, everybody with a bit of PC knowledge knows PCs are better for graphics, it's always been that way, yet I prefer a console for gaming, because I use my PC for many other things than gaming.

So do I... a lot cooler with your friends

Old
02-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
By the time its going to be release, standalone blu-ray players are going to be a lot cheaper... Sony is developping a new lense that is a lot smaller and cheaper to produce... the players will be smaller and cheaper for the end-user... and also, you can now buy a blu-ray player for 400-500$. Just wait another year and it's going to be cheap a lot cheaper
Very true. But they are not going to give permission to their competition to use it at fair value, unless Microsoft grossly overpays.

Old
02-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Good! The only problem I have with this? They are still going to have a hard time porting video games using the Unreal 3 engine (some games have even been cancelled on the PS3 because it's too complicated to do so) and as far as I'm concerned, they won't stop using that engine anytime soon because it easy to use and works perfectly on 2 platforms... PC & XBOX360

By the way, Frontlines : Fuel Of War is amazing...
Oh, I know, but better engines will be created as part of the library so I'm not too worried as software companies will be stocked at being able to dig in the Sony library, because with each month that goes by, more modules are being added, more exclusive engines are added, more sprouting programs are being added...

The point I'm trying to make is that in the years to come, Sony will rely much more on exclusives (major titles) to propell their sales and most software companies will actually tend to go this street as the possibilities will be much greater with the PS3 than any other console.

BTW, the new dev kits I mentionned are the (high probability) reason why GTA4 was postponed till April, as they wanted to at least better adapt the code to the CellCore.

Old
02-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
By that time, new PS3s will already have a much better BR drive...

And the BR for 360 will certainly cost more than the 200$ you had to pony-up for the HDDVD add-on, which in turn will make the overall 360 price higher than the PS3.

Old
02-20-2008, 08:44 PM
VGTvidz

Quote:
BTW, the new dev kits I mentionned are the (high probability) reason why GTA4 was postponed till April, as they wanted to at least better adapt the code to the CellCore.
Or because they realised that the loading time was horrible?

Old
02-20-2008, 08:47 PM
VGTvidz

Quote:
By that time, new PS3s will already have a much better BR drive...

And the BR for 360 will certainly cost more than the 200$ you had to pony-up for the HDDVD add-on, which in turn will make the overall 360 price higher than the PS3.
Are you going to buy a new PS3 to get that new better BR drive? Nah you won't... and standalone player will eventualy use that lense and be cheap and blah blah blah... seriously, right now, I couldn't care less about that "PS3 has a blu-ray player"... 1st. Blu-Ray DVD a lot more expensive and 2nd, you can't find a lot of blu-ray titles for rent.

Old
02-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Are you going to buy a new PS3 to get that new better BR drive? Nah you won't... and standalone player will eventualy use that lense and be cheap and blah blah blah... seriously, right now, I couldn't care less about that "PS3 has a blu-ray player"... 1st. Blu-Ray DVD a lot more expensive and 2nd, you can't find a lot of blu-ray titles for rent.
Have you heard of Blockbuster?

Old
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Or because they realised that the loading time was horrible?
Well that was my point if you can read between the lines... as I've mentionned before, it was quite normal to have problems adapting the code to the cellcore without much developing support.

Now do you wonder why so many companies are still on the PS3 boat? Because they know what is coming. We'll have this conversation in 2-3 years and we'll probably compare (with a greater difference) the PS3 to the 360 and relate what the PS2 was to the initial XBOX, but in reverse... PS2<<<Xbox PS3>>>360...

Oh and Sony will have an upper hand on any subsequent platforms as the library will be in continuity. I don't see MS remaining in the console wars unless they open up their sources and that would be an endgame to their monopoly on PC gaming...

Old
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Just going to answer this question because I fluttered in!
You can pretty much run anything that Linux can run, but I encourage that you do the partition before you install anything else. There are actually a few Linux distros out now compatible with the Ps3.

Effectively you can run anything not horribly graphic or ram intensive, so you can get things like a SNES or NES emulator up and running as well as stuff like Firefox, messangers, etc. It has potential as people learn how to code for the Cell Processor, but its still got quite a ways to go.

Overall though, if you are interested in trying linux or like programming and have one of the bigger hard drive models, I'd encourage you to try a Linux distro, although some of them are slightly tricky to install. There's good walkthroughs floating about out there though!

Edit- Guess I should answer the original question. Aside from the about 10 gig partition it reserves for Linux, no performance change and you can switch between the two any time you want.

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Very true. But they are not going to give permission to their competition to use it at fair value, unless Microsoft grossly overpays.
If Microsoft bought the patent, they can do whatever the hell they want with it.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote