HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

0t- Ps3 , Xbox , Wii

View Poll Results: Which one would you rather have and why?
PS3 38 40.00%
XBOX 40 42.11%
WII 17 17.89%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGTvidz View Post
Are you going to buy a new PS3 to get that new better BR drive? Nah you won't... and standalone player will eventualy use that lense and be cheap and blah blah blah... seriously, right now, I couldn't care less about that "PS3 has a blu-ray player"... 1st. Blu-Ray DVD a lot more expensive and 2nd, you can't find a lot of blu-ray titles for rent.
I was talking for people who don't own one and I might just sell mine to get a new one...

BTW, when bigger games will come up on the PS3 and they will, MS won't be able to take up those titles as they will be too bulky for their internal drive, unless they plan on running most of their games on the exterior (BR) drive.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:53 PM
VGTvidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Have you heard of Blockbuster?
Did you know that you can't find a blockbuster in every city?? I'm not gonna drive 15minutes to rent a movie!

VGTvidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:55 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Did you know that you can't find a blockbuster in every city?? I'm not gonna drive 15minutes to rent a movie!
People still rent movies? I guess these are the same people who BUY music.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Might as well add this to the conversation: If you are in the market for a Blu Ray player a Ps3 is the best bet on the market right now. The game console has nothing to do with it, but the fact that you can upgrade Blu Ray profiles is huge and allows the system to remain up to date. Standalone Blu Ray players (especially the first models) have no hard drive internally, so they can't upgrade to new profiles with new features and such, meaning they are going to become obsolete soon, that's an ouch to anyone's wallet.

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 08:57 PM
VGTvidz

3 things you should never talk about ... Politics, Religion & Gaming Console

Old
02-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
3 things you should never talk about ... Politics, Religion & Gaming Console
Amen to that!

Altho that cuts out 60% of my conversational topics.

Old
02-20-2008, 09:11 PM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Wii. Best console games. All the best games on PS3 and XBox 360 have their superior counterpart on the PC. Imo, get the Wii if you have a powerfull PC. If you don't, get a Wii and one of the two others.

Mario Galaxy is the best game yet in this generation of consoles. Sure, COD4 is nice, but with controlers it's like playing hockey with ringette sticks. You can also download many games from NES, SNES, N64, Sega, Genesis, Turbo Grafix and more...All for 10$ or less...

Also, Wii fit is coming out soon...Wii is under 300$. Most sold console worldwide. Best customer service, best quality hardware (no issues whatsoever), most original games, best value.

For the price of a PS3 and 2 games with an extra controller, you can get the wii, 4 controllers and 5 games. and still have money for the virtual console (downloadable) games.

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 09:11 PM
rs7k

I;m gonna go ahead and say 360. The game selection is incredible, I've been playing online since the original Xbox, so gravitating to the 360 was really simple.

I bought a PS3 at launch and sold it since it was gathering dust. Not much to play back then. Things are a lot different now though, Blu-Ray won, the PS3 is looking good, but no way will it dethrone the 360 in sales here in N. America.

I get frustrated with the 360 quite a bit though, I'm on my eighth one, but the games are so good, they run better than their PS3 counterparts, and Xbox Live is so much superior.

In terms of potential, the PS3 wins in spades though.

If you like RPG's, the 360 simply owns the PS3. Even when FF13 comes out, it will still be the case.

rs7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 09:14 PM
CrazyShea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs7k View Post
I;m gonna go ahead and say 360. The game selection is incredible, I've been playing online since the original Xbox, so gravitating to the 360 was really simple.

I bought a PS3 at launch and sold it since it was gathering dust. Not much to play back then. Things are a lot different now though, Blu-Ray won, the PS3 is looking good, but no way will it dethrone the 360 in sales here in N. America.

I get frustrated with the 360 quite a bit though, I'm on my eighth one, but the games are so good, they run better than their PS3 counterparts, and Xbox Live is so much superior.

If you like RPG's, the 360 simply owns the PS3. Even when FF13 comes out, it will still be the case.
Eighth xbox360 wow just wow. I guess the failure rate is around 30%. If my ps3 did that i would have traded it in long ago

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Sweeney

I want a WII but can't find it anywhere at the rigt price

Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs7k View Post

With time, 2-3 years max, PS3 sales for worldwide AND NAmerica will be greater. Especially considering HDDVD's prematured death and that the PS3 is the best bangforbucks BR player out there. And like doalateralus said, you can upgrade the BR drive profile with a HD, you can't with a normal player so even people who don't play games will buy them instead of a regular BR player.

Quote:
I hope for you that they all stem from your initial acquisition...

Otherwise, it must be painful...

Quote:

Not too sure about your assertion on RPGs and most games. They have been better on the 360, but in the next 2 years they will probably be better on the PS3 as the related developing will get much easier and only has started since late November, and devs still have to adapt to it, but once that's done, I don't think you'll think the same.

Old
02-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Mr Megot

PS3 has blu ray which is a huge advantage when it comes to storage capacity for the games themselves: its purpose is not only hi-def movies. In fact, we are slowly starting to see some games emerge on the ps3 that are simply too huge for the 360 or pc's to handle not because of the raw power of these machines but because of the limited capacity of their player(DVD). Uncharted: Drake's Fortune for exemple uses 24gb!!

Anyways... Go habs go! (thats what truly matters)

Mr Megot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 09:36 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I'm the type of guy who bought one of each so let me break it down for you.

Ps3: Power....Graphics are slightly better then the Xbox360 and your online play is free, also lets not forget the upcomming exclusive games for PS3 that are simply awesome.

Xbox 360: Gameplay...Well lately until this year it was the only next gen console to have the best games. Bioshock, Saints Row(ok), NHL 08, Assasin's Creed, COD4 etc... The Online play costs $$ ofc but its once a year, and its well worth it because most games are well organized, and their online play for the 360 is worth it because of the vast variety of players.

Wii: Unless your a die hard Mario and or Super Smash Brothers Fan I'd not waste my time on this. Anything on the Wii is 95% better on the 360 and or PS3. The upside is its a work out, and it tells you to stop playing and go outside every now and then. Strangely enough one of the games I find most entertaining is the one it came with, Wii Sports. Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Brothers Brawl are definate must haves but otherwise I'd not worry bout the Wii unless it makes a huge revamp and gets some new gameplay in. The graphics are the same as the gamecube, and ofc you can play your gamecube games if you want. To be quite honest if you go with the wii chances are your just gonna plug in your camecube controllers. Lets not Forget Zelda, that was a huge hit and remains an awesome game, but 1 console for 3 games isn't really worth it in my books.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 05:04 AM
VGTvidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyshea View Post
Eighth xbox360 wow just wow. I guess the failure rate is around 30%. If my ps3 did that i would have traded it in long ago
Failure rate is at 16% and is going down because of the new gen

Old
02-21-2008, 05:36 AM
A1
Everything is awful

I've bought the Wii at launch and was very satisfied with it, but right now seems to be a real drought of games since November. Mario Galaxy is a game I could not put down until I finished it, unfortunately that only took 4 days. I got a PS3 for Christmas and have not touched my Wii since. The Wii will bounce back though, with Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Wii Fit and Mario Kart.

I went with the PS3 over the Xbox for a few reasons. I have a history with them as I owned the PSone and PS2. I like the controller better. I'm not a fan of first-person shooters, which accounts for probably 80% of the 360's good games. I have a good PC and most of the 360's exclusives are available on PC. Blu-ray obviously. Wi-fi. Rechargable controller. Free online.

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 07:56 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Xbox 360: Gameplay...Well lately until this year it was the only next gen console to have the best games. Bioshock, Saints Row(ok), NHL 08, Assasin's Creed, COD4 etc... The Online play costs $$ ofc but its once a year, and its well worth it because most games are well organized, and their online play for the 360 is worth it because of the vast variety of players.
Half of the games you listed are on PS3 and just as a good...

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:06 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermy View Post
PS3 is the most powerful machine but I think that Xbox runs better and has better online play
NHL 2008 is a lagfest on the PS3. It runs at 29 FPS compared to the 360's 60 FPS. For that reason alone I'd get a 360...

Not to mention I ****ing hate Ps3's controllers.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Half of the games you listed are on PS3 and just as a good...
NHL 08 is not just as good on Ps3, it's not nearly as smooth, it runs at 29 FPS and it's choppy as hell. Not to mention the online system of the Ps3 is the worst thing I've ever seen.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
NHL 08 is not just as good on Ps3, it's not nearly as smooth, it runs at 29 FPS and it's choppy as hell. Not to mention the online system of the Ps3 is the worst thing I've ever seen.
Because it was created on the OLD engine. MS got you by shipping their game console a year before the PS3 because they knew they wouldn't be able to keep up to the new engines specifacally made for the 7th generation of game consoles, so they decided to exploit the old engines at their full capacity, something the PS3 lagged to do, especially since devs had to adapt the old engines to the new programming platform, once the shift will be made to the new, better engines, fitted for Cellcore processing and Sony's RSX GPU (boosted by the XDR dram card) which are very new in the gaming biz, you'll figure out soon enough that MS has tricked you by boosting old (programming) technology while they still had the time.

If you look closely at the architecture of the Xbox360, it is fully adapted to take full advantage of 6th generation game developing. It works exactly like most computers work. Look at the make-up of the CPU, GPU and memory. The memory runs on a SINGLE ram module (512 MB GDDR3 @ 700 MHz) and it is both shared by the GPU (500 MHz Xenos vcard) and CPU (3.2 GHz IBM Tri-core Xenon). This is a regular PC make-up, with no high end capability (coming in the next two years). They've compensated for this with the 10 MB EDRAM GPU frame buffer memory, so that later games will still run on it, but you'll get about the same difference in graphics and lag as you had between the PS2 and Xbox, but this time Sony having the upper-hand.

If you look at the make-up of the PS3, it is quite understandable why they are having problems adapting the 6th generation of gaming engines as the PS3 runs much differently and needs the industry to change (gaming engine companies) their approach at programming games and believe me they will, as Sony outscored MS worldwide with the PS2 almost selling 5 times as many units and especially since those in the know in the (gaming) industry knew HDDVD was lagging behind and BR at the upper-hand on the market. They know the biggest money to be made in game consoles will be with the PS3, as the 360 is mostly NorthAmerica exclusive.

The graphics card between the two consoles isn't much different (and that whole issue about fill rate is canard as the industry knows that the engines haven't been adapted to perform with the PS3's make-up). The PS3 runs on a 550 MHz RSX GPU, but the big difference is the RAM card, a 256 MB GDDR3 @ 650 MHz, half the MB from the 360 (that is why it runs weaker on simpler structures as the old gaming engines), yet it can access the CPU as most know the CellCore runs 7 different CPUs at the same time, and, this is the big difference for the future (when code will be fully adapted to manage this) is the 256 MB XDR running @ 3.2 GHz. This RDRAM card will make all the difference between running the 6th generation old engines and the new high performance engine that the 360 won't be able to accomodate.

Give the PS3 a year or two and the 360 will seem like the graphics from the GameCube compared to the Wii, the Wii being the PS3.

Old
02-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
I'm the type of guy who bought one of each so let me break it down for you.

Ps3: Power....Graphics are slightly better then the Xbox360 and your online play is free, also lets not forget the upcomming exclusive games for PS3 that are simply awesome.

Wii: Unless your a die hard Mario and or Super Smash Brothers Fan I'd not waste my time on this. Anything on the Wii is 95% better on the 360 and or PS3. The upside is its a work out, and it tells you to stop playing and go outside every now and then. Strangely enough one of the games I find most entertaining is the one it came with, Wii Sports. Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Brothers Brawl are definate must haves but otherwise I'd not worry bout the Wii unless it makes a huge revamp and gets some new gameplay in. The graphics are the same as the gamecube, and ofc you can play your gamecube games if you want. To be quite honest if you go with the wii chances are your just gonna plug in your camecube controllers. Lets not Forget Zelda, that was a huge hit and remains an awesome game, but 1 console for 3 games isn't really worth it in my books.

It will have Mario-Kart and they have more games than 4. Tiger Woods is a very good games and Mario and Sonic Olympic is also a very good games and it will have more games soon.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote