HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2008 Entry Draft talk (Filatov)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2008, 09:17 AM
  #51
Aging Goalie
 
Aging Goalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lima, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
They also don't have a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
How are they sitting with 5th rounders? Lord knows we have plenty of those laying around

Aging Goalie is offline  
Old
03-07-2008, 10:02 AM
  #52
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Goalie View Post
How are they sitting with 5th rounders? Lord knows we have plenty of those laying around


I'm calling it--our big move on draft day is two 5th rounders for a fourth rounder.

CapnCornelius is offline  
Old
03-07-2008, 10:41 AM
  #53
5StringBuzz
Registered User
 
5StringBuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post


I'm calling it--our big move on draft day is two 5th rounders for a fourth rounder.
Better than on that prediction.

5StringBuzz is offline  
Old
03-08-2008, 10:13 AM
  #54
CBJSlash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Bus
Posts: 7,778
vCash: 500
It is hard to believe that after this season, we could still be looking at a top 5-7 pick, that goes to show parity is on the rise. Last year's misery only got us a 7th. If we could end up getting one of Doughty, Pietrangelo, Schenn I would be ecstatic. I would mind a Kyle Beach either.

CBJSlash is offline  
Old
03-08-2008, 10:16 AM
  #55
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
They also don't have a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
and lets hope they don't get any from us.

RDriesenUD is offline  
Old
03-08-2008, 12:41 PM
  #56
Byrral
Registered User
 
Byrral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 3,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesen16 View Post
and lets hope they don't get any from us.
I've pretty much been in agreement with you for the most part through the entire trade deadline with respect to moving high end prospects and or picks. At this point in time though it is obvious to me that something has to be done to improve this team for next season with the playoffs in mind. And I'm not talking about mortgaging the future either.

If Howson can move a few assets and draft picks for a high end center, sign a mobile defenseman and possibly a scoring winger through free agency it will go a long way towards improving the team for next season. In order to do this you have to give something up (a high end prospect, a mid level prospect and a first and/or second round pick). Giving up the assets in parenthesis will not mortgage the future if the assets traded for are high end players in their prime.

I want this team to be competitive for a long time and draft picks help to stockpile the shelf. But they must continue buliding on the strides they took this year by making some improvements in the offseason. This is a good philosophy if you patiently want to wait three or four more years for those draft picks to possibly make the squad. But I'd rather see them invest a couple of those pieces (we have some we can spare) to add some roster players that could push the team to the next level now.

Byrral is offline  
Old
03-09-2008, 11:16 AM
  #57
Ludicrous Speed
Registered User
 
Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Killumbus
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 10,927
vCash: 500
I'd like to hear some opinions on the Avs pick. Would you rather have it this year or next? I know that they probably are gonna make the playoffs though

I think it'd be nice to deal up next year, but that #1 center is calling and I still have hopes for Schenn

Ludicrous Speed is offline  
Old
03-09-2008, 11:32 AM
  #58
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
I've pretty much been in agreement with you for the most part through the entire trade deadline with respect to moving high end prospects and or picks. At this point in time though it is obvious to me that something has to be done to improve this team for next season with the playoffs in mind. And I'm not talking about mortgaging the future either.

If Howson can move a few assets and draft picks for a high end center, sign a mobile defenseman and possibly a scoring winger through free agency it will go a long way towards improving the team for next season. In order to do this you have to give something up (a high end prospect, a mid level prospect and a first and/or second round pick). Giving up the assets in parenthesis will not mortgage the future if the assets traded for are high end players in their prime.

I want this team to be competitive for a long time and draft picks help to stockpile the shelf. But they must continue buliding on the strides they took this year by making some improvements in the offseason. This is a good philosophy if you patiently want to wait three or four more years for those draft picks to possibly make the squad. But I'd rather see them invest a couple of those pieces (we have some we can spare) to add some roster players that could push the team to the next level now.
Exactly. If it takes one of our first round picks, a second round pick and a prospect to get Marleau or Jokinen, I think most of us could live with that--its less than we were offering for Richards.

This team was aiming to make the playoffs, which means that from day 1 Howson has been counting on having a mid-round pick. He's now got that mid-round pick and what may be a lottery pick, but certainly will be a top 10 pick. I don't think he'll hesitate to move our first round pick to get a center, particularly if he can keep that mid-round pick from Colorado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitbasketer743 View Post
I'd like to hear some opinions on the Avs pick. Would you rather have it this year or next? I know that they probably are gonna make the playoffs though

I think it'd be nice to deal up next year, but that #1 center is calling and I still have hopes for Schenn
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Sure, I'd love a shot in the Tavares lotto, but that's too speculative. Better to get the pick this year so that we can make a move now.

CapnCornelius is offline  
Old
03-09-2008, 12:57 PM
  #59
LetsGOJackets!!
Registered User
 
LetsGOJackets!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 2,472
vCash: 500
I think Mac suggested drafting defense the

entire draft.. and this is what should have been done in a few of our earlier drafts. This draft certainly has the top end dmen to get excited about. Could Stamkos or one of the other top end centers turn out to be an Anze Kopitar.. probably will and that is what is enticing.

Draft good prospects/ trade for Jokinen and sign Campbell. Not asking for much am I?

LetsGOJackets!! is offline  
Old
03-09-2008, 08:57 PM
  #60
JACKETCUPDREAMS
Registered User
 
JACKETCUPDREAMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
just get #15 on the list. he is money. great size, right position and a guarnteed start next year. this is the player we have been waiting for.

JACKETCUPDREAMS is offline  
Old
03-09-2008, 09:48 PM
  #61
Lainey
Registered User
 
Lainey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Exactly. If it takes one of our first round picks, a second round pick and a prospect to get Marleau or Jokinen, I think most of us could live with that--its less than we were offering for Richards.
I'm not sold on either Marleau or Richards, and I recently read an interesting take on the chance of obtaining Jeff Carter from Philly. Hitch has familiarity with him, Philly has serious cap issues, and he could be got in trade or offer sheet. I dunno, Carter is coming into his own and might be available, plus he's younger than Jokinen and Marleau.

Again, with Marleau and Jokinen... I'm not sure how I feel about a Captain that gets traded away from a team halfway through a contract. Is that the kind of guy we want?

Lainey is offline  
Old
03-10-2008, 08:06 AM
  #62
LetsGOJackets!!
Registered User
 
LetsGOJackets!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 2,472
vCash: 500
Could you point me to that article on Carter - Lainey?

I had understood Philly wanted to grow with Richards / Carter, that Gagne & Umberger and Keslar may be in play.

I like Carter a great deal, but had no idea they would part with him. I bet the cost would be high eh?

LetsGOJackets!! is offline  
Old
03-10-2008, 09:31 AM
  #63
123jp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
I had understood Philly wanted to grow with Richards / Carter, that Gagne & Umberger and Keslar may be in play.

I like Carter a great deal, but had no idea they would part with him. I bet the cost would be high eh?
Don't know about an article, but I'm guessing Philly's problem (if they have one) is with the salary cap, not any dissatisfaction with Richards. He, Umberger, and Jones are all RFA's this year and Philadelphia may not have enough money to pay them all.
It may be they can't afford to pay Carter what he's worth (given his production) and would be amenable to trading him for a high draft pick and/or prospects.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=PHI

123jp is offline  
Old
03-10-2008, 09:33 AM
  #64
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
I'm not sold on either Marleau or Richards, and I recently read an interesting take on the chance of obtaining Jeff Carter from Philly. Hitch has familiarity with him, Philly has serious cap issues, and he could be got in trade or offer sheet. I dunno, Carter is coming into his own and might be available, plus he's younger than Jokinen and Marleau.

Again, with Marleau and Jokinen... I'm not sure how I feel about a Captain that gets traded away from a team halfway through a contract. Is that the kind of guy we want?
Maybe you can point me to a guy that is in favor with his team's management that we can trade for.

Philly has cap issues, sure. I've raised the possibility of Carter before here. But the fact is that its not as much of a possibility as the other two. Philly will do what it can to keep him and will only ship him out if they can't make it work. A team's best chance at Carter is an offer sheet. While I'm personally in favor of offer sheets, I think Howson will shy away from doing it as a new GM.

Personally, I think either Marleau or Jokinen would do well. I think Jokinen would be great lined up with Zherdev and I think Marleau would fit well with Nash. Either one of them is going to have something to prove if/when they are traded. They only have 2 years left on their deals, so if it doesn't work out, Brassard should be able to take the reigns by that time.

CapnCornelius is offline  
Old
03-10-2008, 09:45 AM
  #65
Lainey
Registered User
 
Lainey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123jp View Post
Don't know about an article, but I'm guessing Philly's problem (if they have one) is with the salary cap, not any dissatisfaction with Richards. He, Umberger, and Jones are all RFA's this year and Philadelphia may not have enough money to pay them all.
It may be they can't afford to pay Carter what he's worth (given his production) and would be amenable to trading him for a high draft pick and/or prospects.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=PHI
It appears that Philly has about 11 unsigned players going into next season (including, Umberger, Carter, Cote, Prospal, Boulerice and Jones) and have already committed $49.5million of their cap. Something's gotta give.

Lainey is offline  
Old
03-10-2008, 10:12 AM
  #66
Viqsi
"They're back."
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,095
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Personally, I think either Marleau or Jokinen would do well. I think Jokinen would be great lined up with Zherdev and I think Marleau would fit well with Nash. Either one of them is going to have something to prove if/when they are traded. They only have 2 years left on their deals, so if it doesn't work out, Brassard should be able to take the reigns by that time.
And that in particular is why I'm hoping for Marleau instead of Jokinen. Apart from it seeming a bit more realistic (how many times has Jokinen been "about to be traded" for the last few years? ), I think Nash could use the help more than Zherdev (see: ASGs, World Championship).

Besides, we sent them Shelley; we should get something significant back.

Viqsi is offline  
Old
03-15-2008, 08:14 AM
  #67
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?
 
Jovavic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: ClosedDoorMeeting
Country: Qatar
Posts: 10,686
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Updated after Pi Day

1. LA 62 (10) -
2. TB 64 (11) -
3. StL 69 (11) +4
4. Atl 70 (9) -1
5. NYI 71 (10) +3
6. CBJ 73 (11) +2
7. Edm 73 (11) Ducks pick -3
8. TML 74 (10) -2
9. Chi 75 (10) +1

Jovavic is offline  
Old
03-15-2008, 09:48 AM
  #68
Macster
Registered User
 
Macster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
I'm starting to think that we will be without a first rounder this year, using ours, and if the Avs make the playoffs this year, theirs, in trades to acquire centers.

I still think we should use our top pick (in this case a second rounder) to grab a defender, and then take a goalie in the third, hopefully Kevin Poulin will still be there, Tomas Knotek if he's around in the fourth, and use the rest on defense.

Macster is offline  
Old
03-15-2008, 10:32 AM
  #69
X0ssbar
 
X0ssbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: ...on a star!
Country: United States
Posts: 13,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
I'm starting to think that we will be without a first rounder this year, using ours, and if the Avs make the playoffs this year, theirs, in trades to acquire centers.
I think you may be right Mac. I could definitely see both of those pics being in play this year and quite frankly if it can bring back two centers that can help us now and over the next few years I'm one fan who is all for it.

I want to keep the cupboard full but at some point this team has got to think in terms of "now" for the sake of keeping this franchise viable and I think without question that time is "now".

I guess the question is how valuable of trading chips will they be? Obviously that will depend on where this team and Colorado end up in the final standings.

Now that said Howson won't just deal to deal, so if he doesn't find the piece he likes he'll just go ahead and draft but I'll go 100% that one of the picks are dealt.

For Jacket fans, this draft should be as interesting as the rest but for completely different reasons which should fun.

X0ssbar is offline  
Old
03-15-2008, 11:20 AM
  #70
Feicht
Registered User
 
Feicht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Twin Cities
Country: Austria
Posts: 7,287
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
I'm starting to think that we will be without a first rounder this year, using ours, and if the Avs make the playoffs this year, theirs, in trades to acquire centers.
Hell, I'd trade both first round picks to someone for a real #1... if it'll keep us from giving Langkow 10 million to come here, then it sounds good to me

Feicht is offline  
Old
03-15-2008, 11:37 AM
  #71
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?
 
Jovavic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: ClosedDoorMeeting
Country: Qatar
Posts: 10,686
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
I think the wild card team for us is Florida. They seem have been an "up and coming" team for what seems like five years now. They traded their first to get Vokoun, so they don't have any this year. Maybe they want to go in a new direction by trading Olli for a few first rounders and some young forwards (Brule? Lindstrom? Fritsche?). I believe JBo is a RFA, maybe they don't want to drop the cash on him that they think he'll demand.

Jovavic is offline  
Old
03-15-2008, 03:55 PM
  #72
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
Hell, I'd trade both first round picks to someone for a real #1... if it'll keep us from giving Langkow 10 million to come here, then it sounds good to me
Agree. In order to get our hands on a true number one, we will have to trade for one, otherwise we will continue to overpay for number 2's.

KeithBWhittington is offline  
Old
03-15-2008, 05:40 PM
  #73
outlaw jacket
Registered User
 
outlaw jacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
i think we might end up with kyle beach with our first pick...and maybe tyler meyers with colorado's pick...i really don't see us trading away 2 first round picks...

we will have to bite the bullet and overpay a true #1 center and defenseman...

we did free up 11million in payroll by shipping fedorov and foote...

outlaw jacket is offline  
Old
03-15-2008, 07:32 PM
  #74
Macster
Registered User
 
Macster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw jacket View Post
i think we might end up with kyle beach with our first pick...and maybe tyler meyers with colorado's pick...i really don't see us trading away 2 first round picks...

we will have to bite the bullet and overpay a true #1 center and defenseman...

we did free up 11million in payroll by shipping fedorov and foote...
We have no use for any more high end forwards. I doubt Myers will be around by the time the Avs pick comes up.

You mentioned overpayment in another thread...are you referring to overpaying a free agent centre? If so, take a look at the FA crop this summer. You will almost undoubtedly see a trade if we do end up with a number one pivot.

Macster is offline  
Old
03-15-2008, 08:47 PM
  #75
cbjgirl
Just thinking
 
cbjgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: about last summer.
Country: United States
Posts: 3,207
vCash: 500
I don't want us to tank, I really, really don't, but...

Looking at the standings today we are currently 25th in the league. If we continue to play the way we have been, ending up 28th is not out of the realm of possibilities.

How does the lottery work again? The worst X many teams get X many balls in the hopper but you can only move up X many spots or something like that. Can someone summarize it for me again? Thanks.

cbjgirl is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.