HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Entry Draft talk (Filatov)

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Well if the Jackets lose out, get the #1 pick, and draft Stamkos, we'll have less to worry about at the center position. Stamkos can step right in on opening day and probably play 2nd line center for a few months then move up to the 1st line by Christmas. This way we can spend all our money on defense and another top 6 winger.

Old
03-26-2008, 09:56 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Well if the Jackets lose out, get the #1 pick, and draft Stamkos, we'll have less to worry about at the center position. Stamkos can step right in on opening day and probably play 2nd line center for a few months then move up to the 1st line by Christmas. This way we can spend all our money on defense and another top 6 winger.
This is wishful thinking, I'd like Stamkos, but I'm not putting all my eggs into this basket, expecting him to step right in and give us second line duty right away...

I wouldn't be disappointed if we get the 1st pick and take him, but I'd still like management to move that other pick then go full bore for for what this team needs, skilled winger, one or two skilled
centerman and a top 4 defenseman.

Also, getting th first pick will be a boon, we can trade down a spot r two for a team that was tanking for Stamkos and hope fully land a piece we need, or more assets to acquire said pieces.

Another thing to look at: Andrew Shaw is The Sting's player personnel guy, Stamkos' Billet and a Bluejacket scout.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 03-26-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old
03-26-2008, 10:00 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Won't work without St. Louis and/or the Isles passing us in the overall standings. As it stands, we have zero chance to move up to the #1 spot--we're presently 6th and only the bottom 5 teams can move up in the lottery to pick first.

Old
03-26-2008, 10:05 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Won't work without St. Louis and/or the Isles passing us in the overall standings. As it stands, we have zero chance to move up to the #1 spot--we're presently 6th and only the bottom 5 teams can move up in the lottery to pick first.
with the way the Jackets have looked the las two games, no reason to assume we won't be passed by at least st. Louis.

Old
03-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
with the way the Jackets have looked the las two games, no reason to assume we won't be passed by at least st. Louis.
Isles are only 2 points back and just beat the Pens 4-1.

Old
03-26-2008, 10:39 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
Isles are only 2 points back and just beat the Pens 4-1.
I've just been paying attention to the West.... thats good news.

Old
03-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
He'll have to battle Brassard and Brule for either of those spots. What ho? Kids don't always automatically become top-line players immediately?

Old
03-26-2008, 11:02 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
He'll have to battle Brassard and Brule for either of those spots. What ho? Kids don't always automatically become top-line players immediately?
Guys drafted #1 do more times than not. Guys drafted with the #5-#7 pick? More of a crap shoot.

Guess where we'll probably be picking again.

Old
03-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Guys drafted #1 do more times than not. Guys drafted with the #5-#7 pick? More of a crap shoot.
Yes, I know. But...

Quote:
Guess where we'll probably be picking again.
Yeah, I know.

Old
03-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Skraut

Quote:
I wonder what in addition to our 2 first rounders it would take to trade up to the #1 spot...

Old
03-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Yes, I know. But...

Yeah, I know.
That sounds like me talking to the wife.

My personal hunch: Howson will bundle draft picks and use them for trade bait. We are young, very young. We've got to be the youngest team in the league with the departure of Foote and Fedorov. We don't need 36-40 year olds, but we need some veteran grit. Modin and Vyborny and the roles they were supposed to fill on the team this season is what needs addressed. We need guys with 4 or 5 solid seasons under their belt more than we need superstar Junior hockey prospects, because we've got 3 of those in the system already.

I think he taps 3 sources for retooling the team in this order of preference:

1. UFA market
2. Trades
3. Draft

Old
03-26-2008, 04:01 PM
CoachWithNoTeam

Stamkos
Doughty D
Filatov
Schenn D
Hodgson
Bogosian D
Pietrangelo D

That's not really in any order, but I think we'd be very happy with any of those 7. The four defensemen are all right handed, which would be a very welcome addition to our pipeline. At the trade deadline I was definitely thinking that we package our picks for a center or defenseman, but the closer we get to the draft the more I'm thinking keep our first. I re-watched a lot of WJC games recently and was impressed by everyone. Filatov looked out of his mind. Doughty and Schenn were great. ... If we happen to miss out on those 7, my vote goes to Colin Wilson. He seemed a lot like Brule from what a I gathered, but that was only a couple games. (Oh, and thats supposed to be a flattering comparison.)

For Colorados pick I'd say we have to go after defense. Tyler Myers would be our biggest d-man by about 4 inches. Personally I really like Voinov. I dont know where either of them are expected to go. Maybe Myers 10-15 and Voinov 20-30

Old
03-26-2008, 04:44 PM
CapnCornelius

One of the more recent mock drafts I saw had us taking Schenn with our first pick and taking David Toews in the second round. I could probably live with that.

Old
03-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Prophecy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
The Jackets are most likely going to have a top 10 pick in this years draft which will rwally stack this team up with top prospects. You guys have a very bright future with this team. Voracek will be something special
Thanks for the kind words, but suffice it to say that we've had opposing teams hopping on this site for several years saying the same thing...Tomorrow is no longer an option. Tomorrow is now.

Old
03-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Macster

Quote:
One of the more recent mock drafts I saw had us taking Schenn with our first pick and taking David Toews in the second round. I could probably live with that.
I'm interested to know who went in the first 5-6 picks if Schenn fell to us?

So far I am wanting to stay away from Toews. I am worried that at this point his stock is so high simply based on name.

As far as "name" prospects go, I would be willing to use a third on Jared Staal. One sucker GM/scouting staff might take him earlier than that though.

If we can't get Knotek in the third like I hope, Staal would be a good consolation.

Old
03-26-2008, 06:24 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
I'm interested to know who went in the first 5-6 picks if Schenn fell to us?

So far I am wanting to stay away from Toews. I am worried that at this point his stock is so high simply based on name.

As far as "name" prospects go, I would be willing to use a third on Jared Staal. One sucker GM/scouting staff might take him earlier than that though.

If we can't get Knotek in the third like I hope, Staal would be a good consolation.
The top 5 were:

Stamkos
Pietrangelo
Doughty
Beach
Bogosian

I've seen another mock showing Schenn falling all the way to 11th with the Jackets taking Colin Wilson instead. TSN had Schenn at 8th mid-season and central scouting had him 7th. Schenn may be a possibility if we keep our first pick but, as always, that depends on what the people in front of us do, and assumes we don't slip in the lottery--always a possibility with our luck so far.

Old
03-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Macster

Quote:
The top 5 were:

Stamkos
Pietrangelo
Doughty
Beach
Bogosian

I've seen another mock showing Schenn falling all the way to 11th with the Jackets taking Colin Wilson instead. TSN had Schenn at 8th mid-season and central scouting had him 7th. Schenn may be a possibility if we keep our first pick but, as always, that depends on what the people in front of us do, and assumes we don't slip in the lottery--always a possibility with our luck so far.
I don't think the teams that will be picking 1-7 would let Schenn go past them. He won't fall past 7. Eleven really surprises me.

I really like Colin Wilson, so much so that he would be my pick if we didn't need a high-end defender so badly.

Beach is a guy who I can see falling, he apparently has a so-so attitude, but a team could use his size and angry play, not to mention ability to put up points.

Old
03-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Saad Panda

The Isles in my mind are the only team that could pass us. If they can hop over us we'd be top 5. My guy is Pietrangelo: size, offense, defense, physicality, speed, and he's right handed. Right now he's ranked #5 by TSN but I'm not sure he would last that long with Filatov possibly dropping. That said my next choice would be Schenn.

I think we would at least have a shot at one of the two because I think L.A. would either go after Doughty or Stamkos. If they were #1 they'd probably take Stamkos. Tampa would most likely then take Doughty. Atlanta would take Hodgson because they need a #1 center.

And then there's St. Louis. I think they could take a number of players. They need offense but I'm not sure if they would take a chance at Filatov. So maybe they take Schenn or Pietrangelo. Whoever is left is ours.

If we are top 6 or 7 Bogosian is still there probably and he's also very good.

Now if we keep Colorado's pick it would be interesting. I would love to have Kyle Beach. I compare him to Ryan Getzlaf. He's big, strong, has good hands and a good shot. I think Beach could drop much like Getzlaf because of his attitude.

But we need to take one of Pietrangelo, Schenn, or Bogosian with our first pick. We need a puck moving guy back there and they all fit the bill and are right handed.

Old
03-26-2008, 07:27 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I wonder what in addition to our 2 first rounders it would take to trade up to the #1 spot...
It depends on who actually ends up landing it, a team may find they don't absolutely need Stamkos and find another team is willing to cough up a lot for him....

I'd take Stamkos if we win the lottery, or dangle him to see who really wants that first pick, I wouldn't trade up to get him though, we have too many other needs to risk losing assets just to draft him.

Old
03-31-2008, 01:52 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Looking at the numbers - we're fairly firmly entrenched at the 6/7 position.

If the Islanders win 2 of their remaining 3 and we only win 1 of ours, we could end up at 5.

St Louis would have to win out and we would have to lose all of ours in order for us to swap with them.

The "best" case scenario (if we were to win out and everyone else lose everything) we would end up at around 10th.

So regardless of what everyone else does we'll be somewhere between 5 and 10 (or maybe 12 depending on tie breakers).

Old
03-31-2008, 02:25 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post

If the Islanders win 2 of their remaining 3 and we only win 1 of ours, we could end up at 5.

St Louis would have to win out and we would have to lose all of ours in order for us to swap with them.

The "best" case scenario (if we were to win out and everyone else lose everything) we would end up at around 10th.

So regardless of what everyone else does we'll be somewhere between 5 and 10 (or maybe 12 depending on tie breakers).
Nice summary. From what I've been reading lately (yeah I'm catchin a draft now) there seems to be 7 to 8 top tier guys:

In no particular order:

Stamkos
Filatov
Doughty
Bogosian
Petriangelo
Hodgson
Schenn

Then some have Wilson, Beach or Boedker in that mix as well.

Big year for defensemen and would love to grab one. Our problem is we can't wait for one to develop any longer.

Having a top 7 pick would really help its trade value.

Good thread that summarizes the prospects this year: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=495010

Old
03-31-2008, 03:44 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Has anybody verified what picks we have this

draft? I know we won't know the particular draft order until it completely shakes out, but it looks like we should have a top 7 pick and a mid 1st rounder Colorado's. What about the rest of the rounds?

I don't know these kids this year and have seen very, very little of them. Based on reading fan posts it sounds like it is a given Stamkos is #1, and out of our range, the next four players could all be defensemen or the Russian Filatov?

What would it take to go up to #1 from the 5,6,7 range? Course we could win the lottery and move up 4 spots correct? Hopefully not both 1st round picks. Would you want Stamkos over Doughty anyway? I like that kid, played great in the Worlds.

I know that you build a great team in the draft, and will let Mr. Howson worry about this aspect. I myself am growing weary of just looking at prospect potential vs actual results.

Old
03-31-2008, 04:30 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post

We can go up or down up to 4 positions in the lottery. In other words, if we end up at #5, we have a chance to move up to #1--Chicago did last year, so odds are against that happening twice.

Old
03-31-2008, 04:40 PM
CoachWithNoTeam

Quote:
We can go up or down up to 4 positions in the lottery. In other words, if we end up at #5, we have a chance to move up to #1--Chicago did last year, so odds are against that happening twice.
Eh, the odds are the same. Its a lottery. Its still like 10% or whatever. (I think its 8% that the #6 will win it)

Old
03-31-2008, 05:18 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachWithNoTeam View Post
Eh, the odds are the same. Its a lottery. Its still like 10% or whatever. (I think its 8% that the #6 will win it)
The #6 team CANNOT move up to #1.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=203606&hubname

Quote:
The weighted lottery system to determine the draft order dictated that no club among those that missed the playoffs could move up more than four positions in the draft order. Thus, the only clubs with the opportunity to get the first overall selection were the five with the lowest regular-season points totals.
The #5 team has only an 8.1% chance.

Bottom line--its unlikely we get Stamkos.

Closed Thread