HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The "Marian Hossa Trade Speculation" Thead

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2008, 08:04 AM
trentmccleary

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC4ME View Post
let's say he gets traded to Ottawa,could they fit him under a new contract?

let's say Ottawa trades Gerber that would free up 3-3.7 million depending on the back up they use to take his place, then if they don't resign Redden or resign him for far less say 4 million that would free up another 2.5 million...now in order to get Hossa they would most likely have to trade Vermette to get him who makes 1 million plus who ever else gets traded.

Gerber -3 million
Redden -2.5 million (possibly 6.5million if he doesn't resign)
Vermette -1 million

6.5 million in savings = Hossa?

They will be paying Heatley and Spezza alot more next season but I think they can still do it if they don't resign Redden.
Spezza, Heatley and Fisher will be making $8.2M more next season. That already means that Redden and a goalie have to leave in the summer and extremely cheap replacements brought in.

Ottawa would have to gut all the remaining depth on the team... ie: 3rd & 4th lines & bottom pairing consistenting entirely of league minimum players. Gawd help us if there was a slump or injury to a top forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Here's my thoughts

Montreal gets Hossa, they will have to give up McDonagh, Grabovski and a 1st

Ottawa gets Hossa, they will have to give up Lee, Vermette and a 1st

A 27 year old star player is going to command a return that is indicative of his status and abilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulPatch View Post
I'm not familiar with Montreal's prospects, but wouldn't they have to give up a roster player to get Hossa? Ottawa has the better offer there IMO, and I don't want to see us give up that much for a rental forward.
Grabovski is a 24 yo, 5'9 AHL scorer. Vermette is 25 yo and I think people already know enough about him. This part of the deal makes both offers way off because Ottawa gives up so much more.

Quote:
If Ottawa's going to give up Vermette, it should be for a goalie. We don't need more secondary scoring, we need a goalie who can stop basic shots from the blueline.
This is exactly why Ottawa should bow out of this silly negotiation. With the letdowns of Forsberg and Sundin, Hossa is the belle of the ball and Murray doesn't have to do a thing to keep the price high.

Old
02-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Montreal's prospects, but wouldn't they have to give up a roster player to get Hossa? Ottawa has the better offer there IMO, and I don't want to see us give up that much for a rental forward.
Grabovski, Chipchura and D'Agostini can all contribute in the NHL right now.

Old
02-25-2008, 08:07 AM
AD

So you start out by making racist remarks about europeans and their inability to win the cup... and then go on to try to rewrite the history of some 150 million people... (including most of the Russian players in the NHL)

Most russians are indeed europeans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
I said Europeans, Russia is not in Europe.

Quote:
I never said Moscow was anywhere did I?

Nope I didn't

But I at least can prove a Part of Russia is not in Europe. You missed the beginning where I said all of Russia is not Europe.
Nice backtrack there. Now where is the apology to all europeans?

Old
02-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
I won't count out the Sens. The Habs won't trade Higgins, or the Kostitsyns. If there is a trade, I have little doubt Ryder would be involved.

Quote:
Here's my thoughts

A 27 year old star player is going to command a return that is indicative of his status and abilities.
Untouchable as far as I know. The Habs are REALLY high on him. If I recall correctly, Timmins (head scout) all but guaranteed a hall of fame career.

Old
02-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Levitate

Dammit, send him out West, not to a Eastern contender!

Old
02-25-2008, 08:16 AM
v1821

Quote:
Here's my thoughts

Hasn't Waddell been emphatic about getting a young roster player? Don't think this Habs deal gets done if that Ottawa deal in on the table.

Having said that, not sure Waddell is going to get a young roster player, a prospect and a 1st if Hossa has decided to test the market this summer. If he does get that package, some gm is going to get hosed.

V

Old
02-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

Quote:
Why would Hossa want to go to a team that gave up on him and traded him for Heatley? He doesn't really have a choice because he doesn't have a no-trade clause but I highly doubt he would want to sign a contract to play there. He'd be much more willing to go to Montreal and sign a 6-7 year deal and be the face of the franchise and not be a second pony in Ottawa.
out of curiosity why do you think that? personally i think you're basing it wishful thinking and absolutely nothing else....especially not Hossa's actual personality.

Old
02-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
I won't cry if becomes a Sen, but I'll shake my head in disgust. Leave some good players for the rest of the East.

Old
02-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Chfan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by quebec_nordiques View Post
According to tsn, Don Waddell didnt go to mtl with the rest of his club yesterday, he stay in toronto and was as the Bulldogs vs Marlies game today watching the young player of the farm team of the habs.
He also was at the Baby Sens vs Baby Leafs game. So its even between the Sens and the Habs.... Or maybe he was scouting the Marlies

Old
02-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Still must be truth to that rumor that Hossa would prefer going to a Canadian team.
LOL--yeah he is just begging to go to Toronto or Edmonton.

He wants to win a Cup--that is what he is looking for.

Old
02-25-2008, 10:30 AM
DG

Quote:
I wouldn't count out Detroit at all, they like Europeans. But again these Europeans never get them anywhere in the playoffs.
I wish my team full of North Americans could get "nowhere" like Lidstrom, Fedorov, Konstantinov, Hasek, Larionov, Fetisov, Kozlov and Holmstrom have.

Closed Thread