HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading O'byrne would be a mistake...

Old
02-21-2008, 02:56 PM
MaKi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think the Habs need an impact forward like Hossa if they are serious about contending for the cup this year and the 2-3 years after that.
And an impact player can easily be aquired in the off season without having to give up the kind of players we are going to need to help us win cups in the 2-3 years after.
I'm so glad we have a GM who is calm and knows his hand.
Montreal has the offense, the defense, the goaltending, and most importantly as we've seen in our recent comeback wins, the chemistry/character to win in the playoffs.
Ott - 3.40 GPG (goals per game)
Det - 3.21 GPG
Mtl - 3.15 GPG
Phi - 3.10 GPG

We have the third highest goals per game average in the league with 21 games left to play.
Why do you assume we need more help scoring.

MaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Form and Substance

It's really due to the amazing plethora of defenseman that are waiting in the pipelines that I would deal O'Byrne if it meant getting Hossa in return. We've got some really strong physical D-Men in Valentenko, Subban, McDonagh, Fischer (ok he's not strong but he has the right frame). Not to mention the Streit types in Webber and Carle. I wouldn't worry about our defensive corps taking too much of a hit.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 03:12 PM
MaKi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
It's really due to the amazing plethora of defenseman that are waiting in the pipelines that I would deal O'Byrne if it meant getting Hossa in return. We've got some really strong physical D-Men in Valentenko, Subban, McDonagh, Fischer (ok he's not strong but he has the right frame). Not to mention the Streit types in Webber and Carle. I wouldn't worry about our defensive corps taking too much of a hit.
It's fine to say that the move won't hurt us in the future, but who's going to step up and take his spot right now.
Our defense has looked 10 times better since we got O'B and Hamr back on the ice.
If you trade O'B then what?
You start playing Brisebois again?

MaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Habs8517

Dont trade the kid. We waited so long to have a big and mobile defence that wont be intimated or soft.

In a couple of years, we could have a defence corps like the golden ages of the old habs

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Lone Rogue

I'm on the wavelength that Gorges is more important than O'Byrne. That's not to say O'Byrne won't develop into something great. Look at "Hollywood Hainsey". I doubt anyone seen him as a Top 4 D-man but look how important he is on Columbus.

That said, I'm living in the Present right now. I want this team to be as good as they can be NOW. Not later. If the right deal comes around, I want Bob to make it happen.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Who's overrating him? he's in his 2nd pro season, had a great rookie year where he went from playing some 30 games a year to around 100 games and was a dominate physical force.
Anyone who thinks he has the upside to be like Komisarek, or a first pairing guy is overrating O'Byrne, imo. When I say like Komisarek, I don't mean playing a similar style game, I mean playing a similar style game at as high a level. I agree with you that Komo is more talented, that's actually the main reason I don't think O'Byrne has anything like the same upside.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
I'm on the wavelength that Gorges is more important than O'Byrne. That's not to say O'Byrne won't develop into something great. Look at "Hollywood Hainsey". I doubt anyone seen him as a Top 4 D-man but look how important he is on Columbus.

That said, I'm living in the Present right now. I want this team to be as good as they can be NOW. Not later. If the right deal comes around, I want Bob to make it happen.
There's no way in Hell that Gorges is more important than O'Byrne. First, Gorges doesn't play at his natural position, second he's small, third limited talent, fourth not gritty. If he's in Montreal more than two seasons i'll be surprised.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 04:09 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
Anyone who thinks he has the upside to be like Komisarek, or a first pairing guy is overrating O'Byrne, imo. When I say like Komisarek, I don't mean playing a similar style game, I mean playing a similar style game at as high a level. I agree with you that Komo is more talented, that's actually the main reason I don't think O'Byrne has anything like the same upside.
I dont know if they have the same upside or not but i remember that when Komi first came into the league his vision was poor, wasnt hitting as much as today, couldnt make a first pass, didnt have poise and was a turnover machine. I even remember people being upset that we drafted him so high.

Obyrne is already better than Komi in all of those categories even if hes older than komi was in his first season and what he did in the AHL cup run showed us he could be great.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 04:48 PM
AcadiaAxeMan

Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
Hmmm yes, and NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
There's no way in Hell that Gorges is more important than O'Byrne. First, Gorges doesn't play at his natural position, second he's small, third limited talent, fourth not gritty. If he's in Montreal more than two seasons i'll be surprised.
He's NOT more important, but this player is one of a few HABS playing over his head!! He plays tough given his stature and takes the hit to make the play - he isn't shy / does the job!! Gorges is THE MOST IMPROVED PLAYER ON THE 2007-2008 HABS!! He will continue to be a growing member of the HABS with more ice time and responsibility - he is a valuable depth player who contributes!

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 05:11 PM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I really like O'Byrne.Love his play and all but if trading him means us getting a superstar in return then im all in for trading him...
unless Washington or Pittsburg are making a pitch for O'B we will not have to worry.

Those are the only two teams with superstars.

Milbury, JFJ and maybe Reggie the fool would be willing to throw away the future (any part of Chipper Higgins O'Byrne plus first round picks and prospects) for 2-3 months of Hossa or Sundin who are far from superstars.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Don't trade anybody that:

1- It's tougher than usual to draft 'cause it's fairly rare

2- It's tougher than usual to get in a trade 'cause it's fairly rare to get one like these 'cause it's fairly rare to be able to draft one of those...

This applies to big, talented offensive centerman and big mobile d-man.

And think about it this way......would you drool over having him in a trade???? If so, why would you trade him???? And then, as much depth we have on D, and thinking that we have to be a better team as the years goes along, and knowing that it's again possible that we don't have a great success in the UFA market, who do you see as our top 6 next year? I don't see anybody from our depth being able to make us a better team, especially not when you compare him to where O'Byrne will be at next year. Not Carle, not Valentenko, not Emelin.

We need to be toughest, baddest. O'Byrne fits the profile. With Weber and Carle coming, if a team is more enclined to go for a prospect not as ready as O'Byrne is, I would obviously be more tempted to let one of the other go. But O'Byrne is one of a kind.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 07:12 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorFlav View Post
I'd sell Streit, Cube, Breez-by (goes without saying), Dandenault, well before losing Sir Ryan...I see good things in the making.
Oh really?

Oh, okay, great. 'Cause I'm sure there are a lot of clubs that would be thrilled to sub out O'Byrne from a trade if you were instead willing to give them Boulion, Brisebois or Dandenault instead.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 07:14 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacKmtl View Post
And an impact player can easily be aquired in the off season without having to give up the kind of players we are going to need to help us win cups in the 2-3 years after.
Oh yeah, impact players are really easy to acquire in the off-season. Montreal's had a ton of success doing it in the past.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 07:23 PM
NewHabsEra*

Personally, I think we can use OBryne to get an impact player, Im willing to part with OByrne, we have enough depth and some serious D prospects coming..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Personally, I think we can use OBryne to get an impact player, Im willing to part with OByrne, we have enough depth and some serious D prospects coming..
Ok....things a GM or any fan shouldn't do.....see the big picture based on 1 bad period of a player....

O'Byrne will become a great top 4 in this league. As far as having some serious D prospects coming, nobody fits his profile. Big, mobile and physical. Valentenko? Maybe, obviously not as big and not Emelin and not McDonagh. The others don't fit the profile. And all of these guys shouldn't be ready next year, year where the Habs WILL be expected to be a top team. Easier to succeed when everybody say you'll suck. Much tougher to succeed when everybody expects you to. And they will next year. And no prospects should be ready for the challenge. Will see about Carle, Valentenko and Emelin but I would be surprised.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:20 PM
NewHabsEra*

Not the fist time I suggest the idea, it has nothing to do the way OByrne is playing tonight.. Im pretty sure OByrne's value is pretty high around the league, young, cheap, big, good skater and already on the roster.. To get you have to give and I think OByrne is a pretty good asset in a trade.. I think he can become a good #4 defenseman, but the reality is that we have a couple of young promising D in the system and I dont think his lost would be dramatic for this year considering Streit proved he can do the job as our #4 defenseman.. you have a good point saying OByrne brings and should bring in the future a good physical presence on the ice and that we may not have a D prospect in the org that will be as physically dominant but Im personally willing to take the risk for a player like Hossa.. I think Valentenko and Emelin could become physically intimidating in the future but of course there is no guarentee at this point.. I like OByrne but I dont see him becoming as dominant and effective as Komisarek, so no one is right or wrong at this point, getting a player like Hossa would have a major impact on this team..

Old
02-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Not the fist time I suggest the idea, it has nothing to do the way OByrne is playing tonight.. Im pretty sure OByrne's value is pretty high around the league, young, cheap, big, good skater and already on the roster.. To get you have to give and I think OByrne is a pretty good asset in a trade.. I think he can become a good #4 defenseman, but the reality is that we have a couple of young promising D in the system and I dont think his lost would be dramatic for this year considering Streit proved he can do the job as our #4 defenseman.. you have a good point saying OByrne brings and should bring in the future a good physical presence on the ice and that we may not have a D prospect in the org that will be as physically dominant but Im personally willing to take the risk for a player like Hossa.. I think Valentenko and Emelin could become physically intimidating in the future but of course there is no guarentee at this point.. I like OByrne but I dont see him becoming as dominant and effective as Komisarek, so no one is right or wrong at this point, getting a player like Hossa would have a major impact on this team..
In what sick and twisted world has Streit proven he can even play on defense, much less be in the top 4. He's brutal in his own zone, the Habs would be eaten alive with him on D in the playoffs.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 09:01 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
In what sick and twisted world has Streit proven he can even play on defense, much less be in the top 4. He's brutal in his own zone, the Habs would be eaten alive with him on D in the playoffs.
lol.. come on..

Old
02-21-2008, 09:09 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
lol.. come on..
He's right. Streit is not a good dman. He gets physically dominated back there.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
He's right. Streit is not a good dman. He gets physically dominated back there.
True dat. I think we can find other options on the PP and to be honest I wouldn't be crushed if we let him go, which seems to be the general sentiment here.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 09:26 PM
jbakes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
True dat. I think we can find other options on the PP and to be honest I wouldn't be crushed if we let him go, which seems to be the general sentiment here.
I think SK could do just a good a job as Streit back there on the pp

jbakes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeltown View Post
23 years old, great vision and mobility, calm with the puck, can put his shoulder, 6'5"... not making too much...

The guy is a lock, that's for sure.
I like him a lot, with or without a purse. Real good D-Men are hard to find and he's a gem, a diamond in the rough. You need to build from the goalie up and losing him would negate partly what a 100 pts player would bring us plus we'd need to wait 2 years for McDonagh to see a good d-man coming out of the farm system. Valentenko isnt ready to replace O'Byrne right now.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 10:16 PM
STAALing

I think Gainey is a smart man and trading O'Byrne would be a colossal mistake... draw conclusions on what will happen

STAALing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Kriss E

Every body is tradable. It all depends who we get in return.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by James15Sheppard View Post
I think Gainey is a smart man and trading O'Byrne would be a colossal mistake... draw conclusions on what will happen
You can't blindly say that without knowing who's coming back. Don't tell me that in you can trade O'byrne and get a potential 100 point guy in return that you don't do it.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote