HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexandre Picard (Where are they now?)

Old
02-21-2008, 02:27 PM
LaCosta Nostra

vCash: 500
Alexandre Picard (Where are they now?)

Is Alexandre Picard ever going to come back up to the big club? He's our only #1 pick that no one sees or seems to talk about. Anyone know any status with him?

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 02:34 PM
DJAnimosity
ghosts 'n stuff

One of my least favorite draft picks in Jackets history. I don't see much future for him with this organization, with guys like Lindstrom, Boll, Murray etc. way ahead of him on the depth chart. His trade value is probably close to zero right now as well. A curious pick at the time, and he has done nothing to change my mind.

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Kfarschman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Nut View Post
Is Alexandre Picard ever going to come back up to the big club? He's our only #1 pick that no one sees or seems to talk about. Anyone know any status with him?
I thought he was still hurt.

Kfarschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Just bought a new

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfarschman View Post
I thought he was still hurt.
He's back playing.

No doubt injures didn't help, but I don't think Picard was ever going to be anything more then a Marginal Player at best. I expect him to not be tendered an offer an thus become a UFA this summer.

I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up in the NHL at age 27. I could see him being a potential Andrew Murray.

02-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Wease

I'm always rooting for Picard, but I think he borders more on bust than anything else right now. He's scored 4 goals, 11 assists, 83 PIM in 36 games so far this year in Syracuse. Hardly tearing it up. In fact, it's the worst production he's had yet in the AHL. I'm quickly losing faith that he'll ever amount to anything in the NHL...

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Wease

What will really make you pull your hair out, is looking at who was drafted after Picard: Drew Stafford, Alex Radulov, Travis Zajac, Wojtek Wolski, Andrej Meszaros, and Mike Green were all taken in the first round after Alex Picard. Heck, even Mark Streit was taken in the 9th round!

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wease View Post
I'm always rooting for Picard, but I think he borders more on bust than anything else right now. He's scored 4 goals, 11 assists, 83 PIM in 36 games so far this year in Syracuse. Hardly tearing it up. In fact, it's the worst production he's had yet in the AHL. I'm quickly losing faith that he'll ever amount to anything in the NHL...
He's still recovering from a major knee injury. No one could have expected much from Picard this season. Syracuse Crunch Fan has even said he thought it would be a "lost season" for Picard after such a severe injury to his knee, if I recall correctly.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wease View Post
What will really make you pull your hair out, is looking at who was drafted after Picard: Drew Stafford, Alex Radulov, Travis Zajac, Wojtek Wolski, Andrej Meszaros, and Mike Green were all taken in the first round after Alex Picard. Heck, even Mark Streit was taken in the 9th round!
Yeah but we also got Kyle Wharton out of the deal. In case you were wondering Kyle has been demoted to the ECHL.

2004 was by far the worst draft for the CBJ. Hopefully Pineault can eventually crack the lineup.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 03:32 PM
LaCosta Nostra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
Hopefully Pineault can eventually crack the lineup.
Every now and again I catch Hitch talking about Pineault.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Syracuse Crunch fan

Pic has been fine lately, throwing his body around, fought (badly, but still dropped them) last weekend.

He's being eased back in. Mostly third line minutes, which on the Crunch isn't a severe drop in TOI.

Macster is right, I didn't and don't expect huge numbers from him this year. The fact he wasn't expected back until January and came back in November does speak volumes to me though. He didn't have his wheels for awhile, and probably still isn't 100%. But he's out there, getting back into the game and not backing down. That was a really bad injury, it looks career threatening when it happened.

Give him the offseason and training camp. If he does well, great. If not I'll not be the one offering excuses based on the injury.

Syracuse Crunch fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 05:27 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Let's see what he does next year before declaring him a bust.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Just bought a new

Does anyone even see him being tendered? 1,050,867 would be the minimum amount in order to keep his rights, as he is an RFA at the end of the year?

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 05:35 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Does anyone even see him being tendered? 1,050,867 would be the minimum amount in order to keep his rights, as he is an RFA at the end of the year?
THIS year or next year?

Old
02-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Just bought a new

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
THIS year or next year?
He will be a RFA this summer. So that would be the minimum we could tender him to keep his rights. He would still have to sign off on the deal.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 05:39 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
He will be a RFA this summer. So that would be the minimum we could tender him to keep his rights. He would still have to sign off on the deal.
Wow, I thought we had another year. So, that little fact changes my position.

To answer your question, no - I don't see us offering him the minimum. In essence, that would make him a bust for us (but not as a potential NHL player just yet).

Old
02-21-2008, 06:39 PM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Yea...pretty much bust so far. Looking at that draft...not many guys really jump out at you in that first round. But that year was brutal for the Jackets...we have virtually zero NHL prospects out of it. Thanks again Dougie

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:00 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

For the record...I did say he'd end up being the worst first rounder we drafted within a few months after he was taken. Some other members of the "Old Guard" should remember my arguments about Picard in the past. It seems like before this year, there were several Picard supporters on this board, but this year, they almost seem to be hibernating or something.

I've never been high on this guy...ever., his Q stats were way overpublicized. He just doesn't have any puck skills at all it seems. He has a very unusual skating style that seems to emphasis his stick being constantly off ice, especially when he's in front of the net. He's extremely injury prone and just about the only thing he does well is play a no fear game despite not being very skilled with the puck. This was one guy I would love to ask Doug what he was thinking about when he drafted him.

We did trade down with Carolina, I know Andrew Ladd is hardly a gamebreaker, but he's an everyday player for a recent stanley cup champion....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote