HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else have the gut feeling that...

Old
02-21-2008, 05:10 PM
StanJonathan*

vCash: 500
Kessel is being dangle as bait because he will bring the best return in a trade. Plus the Bruins are deep at the center which is Phil's natural position. When Savards contract is done (2YRS) Zac Hamill or Soderberg should be able to slide in. These two kids are bigger that Phil with the same upside. So if a trade nets us a scoring winger and he's under contract I think it would be a good move by Bruins management

StanJonathan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 05:12 PM
RustyBruins72

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
by deadline day Phil Kessel will be an ex-Bruin? I'd hate to see it, but don't you guys have the same feeling you did with Boyes?

Unless it's for a signed Hossa or Jokinen I will puke....especially if it's for a Liles or Suter.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't shake it..
My gut says Hossa goes to the habs and they sign him to a 5 year extension. I know, I shouldn't be bringing the negative waves but that's what my gut says. I am pretty sure I'll throw up if it happens as well.

RustyBruins72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 05:13 PM
bruinsfan4life

i just think we need to be patient with this kid, give him another year and we can wait for the off season when free agency roles around !

bruinsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Beantowns Best

I am so sick of Kessel and all the Kessel supporters, i'll puke if i hear someone he is a future 50 goal scorer! He is a Russ Courtnall at best..minus the defense and minus the character..wait i guess he is no Russ Courtnall! Courtnall was the #7 pick and was also around 175 lbs 5'10 ...great speed and great wrist shot, but he also stuck up for his teamates and wasnt afraid to hit or play defense and didnt wear a face shield...hmmm i need to find a better comparison.. Mike Gartner? #4 pick , very fast..umm.. nope another bad choice by me! Gartner scored 36 goals as a rookie and 48 in his second year! He also had character, actually had a season with 121 PIMS!!! Maybe some people out here would have a better comparison?? I am Very upset that when Walker knocked over Hnidy and Ference came over to stick up for his teamate he ended up getting a ''double facewash'' from Hedican and Walker because Kessel didnt want to grab either of them! I was watching T.V the other night and i saw a 9 year old boy in CA stop someone from killing his father with a machete! I dont expect to see Kessel drop the gloves but atleast grab someone, Hedican isnt Probert! Ference is about the same size as Kessel...C'mon Phil!

Beantowns Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Richyrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsfanincuse View Post
in Celtics terms we have Chara ( Pierce) Allen ( Savard) and now we need Garnett (Hossa insert power scoring forward here) And they basically mortgaged their future to get those guys to take a run at their championship
The only problem with this line of thinking is that you can't keep 3 guys on the ice the entire game. Roster depth is paramount in hockey

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Suck, suck, suck!

Even if he's dealt for Hossa, and Hossa signs an extension with us, I'll still be a tad pissed that Phil Kessel is gone.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 05:25 PM
RustyBruins72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminated View Post
Even if he's dealt for Hossa, and Hossa signs an extension with us, I'll still be a tad pissed that Phil Kessel is gone.
yeah, me too.

But seeing Chara give the stanley cup to hossa will cure that ale, real fast !!!!

RustyBruins72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 06:03 PM
neelysbiggestfan

Quote:
Why? Kessel will NEVER be the player that Hossa is now.
Hossa is only 29.

In a salary cap world, I would rather give big money to sure things, not "potential" guys like Kessel (due for a huge raise after next year thanks to idiot GMs)

neelysbiggestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 06:05 PM
neelysbiggestfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky113 View Post
When he starts burying some of those scoring chances, which he likely will given his shootout skills, he will end up as a 40-50 goal scorer. It could take him 5 more years to reach that potential, but he will get there. If Chia trades him, I hope it's out of the Conference, let alone the Division. If he trades him to Atlanta, this guy is going to burn us for years to come.
40-50 goal scorer??? Do you know how hard it is to score 50 goals in the NHL?
I see ppl throw out "40 to 50 goal scorer" awfully cavalierly when discussing PK's "potential"
40-50 goal guys are the absolute elite in the league.

neelysbiggestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 06:10 PM
bobbyz04

Hossa

If the bruins get Hossa signed, I think he is a better player than Kessel is going to be. A rental for a 8th place team is stupid.

bobbyz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 06:41 PM
neelynugs

there's a big difference between:

1) trading phil kessel for two dimes and a quarter.

and

2) trading phil kessel for a hossa-type player

being pissed about trading kessel for #1 is understandable, but if you can get a guy like hossa, it'd be hard to say no.

if chiarelli trades for hossa, i don't see any way that they don't sign him.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 06:55 PM
chewie688i

Send a message via Yahoo to chewie688i
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post

and

being pissed about trading kessel for #1 is understandable, but if you can get a guy like hossa, it'd be hard to say no.

nugs I tend to agree with every post you put on the boards, and you just hit the nail on the head with this one. Yeah Phil has tons of potential, but in reality I don't see him utilizing it like some here predict. I see him more of a Samsonov type player, vice the Bure type that others hope he becomes. I'd much rather have the sure thing (Hossa) vice the what might be.

chewie688i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
wouldn't surprise me at all to see the kid moved.

For all his offensive potential I don't think the powers that be care for his lack of"D", unwilliingness to go into traffic, and lack of any sort of physical game.

They have kept him after school to work on it but so far same old, same old.
I don't agree about Kessel being "unwilling to go into traffic". He may not be good on the boards but he absolutely goes to the slot area with the puck.

And how many 20 year old forwards in the NHL (or AHL) play solid D?

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 07:18 PM
bruinsfan101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
What song is that?

bruinsfan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 07:19 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan101 View Post
What song is that?
ummm.......Yesterday

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelysbiggestfan View Post
40-50 goal scorer??? Do you know how hard it is to score 50 goals in the NHL?
I see ppl throw out "40 to 50 goal scorer" awfully cavalierly when discussing PK's "potential"
40-50 goal guys are the absolute elite in the league.
How hard is it to score 50? Hossa hasn't come close to it. (45 his tops in 02-03)

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Silva

Send a message via AIM to Silva
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
ummm.......Yesterday
how can someone not recognize "yesterday"?!

Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:09 PM
bwunderlich

Quote:

and

the bold makes sense to me.

however, if a real playoff team drafted kessel, he's likely not to have seen 10 NHL games as a player or healthy scratch to date. but folks here expected something that he's physically just not ready to do.

and the sammy references are just ludicrous. sammy was playing for the vipers and was NHL ready when drafted. he had played almost 150 profession hockey games before being drafted.
kessel was a sophmore in college. great comparison

the lack of patience is unwarranted. its only because there is no goal scorer anywhere in the organization that he's expected to produce/ or be the scapegoat for scouting deficiencies. which brings us to stuart. eh why bother.

ultimately, i think kessel deserves next year before he is deemed expendable. a core is emerging here with bergeron, lucic, kessel, kobe, krecji, karsums, and rask. while i want the playoffs too, savard and hossa are not guys i want to enter the playoffs relying on ever . . .PERIOD! particularly at the expense of yutes that we'll watch contribute for years to come somewhere else.

bwunderlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:16 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Same feeling. PC's comments today about wanting to get bigger up front and play a puck possession game down low speaks volumes about Phils future.
I'm with yah...Hossa is exactly what this team needs and makes Savard a better player; Chara better, and both happier

I think this is going to happen, and if Hossa knows (helo) the Bruins want him, he will likely go into UFA and sign in the offseason here; anyone thinks he doesn't want to play in Boston, well

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

When was the last time a UFA to be was acquired for a teams best young player?

Anyone?

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:27 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Quote:

and

This is the key point.

Kessel for some magic beans would make anyone angry, but Kessel for a guy who's already established himself at or above Kessel's ceiling is a deal you should make IMO.

And I don't know why people are treating Hossa as a rental, saying we should be dealing assets for a rental, despite the fact that we have plenty of reasons for Hossa to stay.

Chara for one, a center like Savard for two, a passionate sports city for three, and a fantastic city to live ad work in in general for four.

Not to mention that if we get a guy like Hossa, Chia will find the necessary cap room to sign him. He'll have the inside track on a deal and I doubt that Hossa would want to be paid more than Chara if they were on the same team.

Chia's signed all our draft picks and RFA's with no acrimony at all since his tenure began, which is such a breath of fresh air from our last regime. And I think that if you gave him a chance, he'd get Hossa signed, especially after he gave up assets like Kessel and Stuart/Lashoff.

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 09:16 PM
TheBigBadB

Rebuilding team..not close to stanley cup..WHY GIVE UP A POTENTIAL 30 goal scorer for a hope to make the playoffs this season? Its stupid management.

If they can get another 30 goal scorer whether Hossa or not in FA, and they keep Kessel, that makes the team much better next season. You take Hossa now, you'll have to hope that one of the kids with less potential make an impact as a scorer next season. But I am sure we'll run that kid out of town too when Murray gets injuried and they have no cap to get a scorer when they desperately need one.

TheBigBadB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Suck, suck, suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBadB View Post
Rebuilding team..not close to stanley cup..WHY GIVE UP A POTENTIAL 30 goal scorer for a hope to make the playoffs this season? Its stupid management.
Read the above post, please.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 09:50 PM
TheBigBadB

Quote:
Read the above post, please.
What's your point?

Just get another FA...They dont have to get Hossa...If he really wants to sign here he will.

TheBigBadB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 09:51 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Does Hamill have a future here if size is what they're after?

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote