HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else have the gut feeling that...

Old
02-21-2008, 08:57 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
By the age of 20 Hossa had 31 NHL points in 67 games.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 09:39 PM
gvkmedia
Preaching B's hockey

I do not believe we have to trade Kessel to get Hossa.

I think they will both be B's come February 27th.

gvkmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvkmedia View Post
I think they will both be B's come February 27th.
That's the best case scenario. And like I said, we have the pieces to do this.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Bauer3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminated View Post
I agree with this between Krejci, Sobotka, Lucic, Stuart, and Lashoff they have more than enough to pry Hossa away, in fact I think they could end up with Hossa and a d-man like Liles. That would change the landscape of this team dramatically.

Krejci, Lashoff, 08 first rounder for Signed Hossa would be the deal I offer

Bauer3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 09:48 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Kessel reminds me a lot of Brian Propp. Only he's a bit faster. Yes, the league has changed, but Kessel has a great deal of upside. Not saying I wouldn't trade him for the right return, but he's attractive to a lot of teams for good reason.

No matter what, Soderberg would've scored there.
Pastrnak means "Eurolectric" in Czech. Look it up.
TheReal13Linseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 09:50 PM
neelyforpresident

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrodptl View Post
By the age of 20 Hossa had 31 NHL points in 67 games.
kessel is 20 and has 29 points in 60 games this year....are you trying to say hossa was more productive or are you saying kessel is on the same track? and can we please stop comparing kessel to samsonov. i dont get the samsonov bashing. he has 14 points in 20 games with carolina so far. samsonov is a good player and is finding his game again. people forget, he was pretty good when he was here in boston.

neelyforpresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 10:18 PM
neelyforpresident

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJonathan View Post
Kessel is being dangle as bait because he will bring the best return in a trade. Plus the Bruins are deep at the center which is Phil's natural position. When Savards contract is done (2YRS) Zac Hamill or Soderberg should be able to slide in. These two kids are bigger that Phil with the same upside. So if a trade nets us a scoring winger and he's under contract I think it would be a good move by Bruins management
Kessel is way better on the wing and thats where he is most likely going to stay. Hamill is listed at 5'11, he is more like the same size as kessel. as for their upside, not even close to kessel.

Old
02-21-2008, 10:49 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Same feeling. PC's comments today about wanting to get bigger up front and play a puck possession game down low speaks volumes about Phils future.
Actually, I thought PC must have been talking about Phil when he said the Bruins fans' love for a player weighs on his trade negotiations. Sounded like he couldn't justify a particular trade to the fans and I couldn't think of another Bruin who has no NTC and that kind of popularity.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 10:51 PM
Czerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
Every game I stand up thinking Kessel score only to have his shot either miss the net or the puck skip over his blade.....is that more his inability to finish? Will that improve over time? I am not sure....
At least when Kessel touches the puck you get excited! Hell, most of our players have ZERO flash. Savards is a great passer, Chara and Lucic are great hitters, and Sturm has blazing speed.

Murray is a slow boat to China, PJ cloggs up lanes, Chuckie is good every 5th shift and Krecji seems to be a cross between Savard and Bergeron (gritty in the corner and looking to make the play) without their raw talent. (though I see a lot in Krecji and I would expect good things in the next year or so)

Kessel is our only potential SUPER MEGA STAR! So yeah, we should trade him for maybe Rob Blake!

Unless you get a super star with a extented deal, no trade for Kessel makes sense!

Czerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Czerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantowns Best View Post
I am so sick of Kessel and all the Kessel supporters, i'll puke if i hear someone he is a future 50 goal scorer! He is a Russ Courtnall at best..minus the defense and minus the character..wait i guess he is no Russ Courtnall! Courtnall was the #7 pick and was also around 175 lbs 5'10 ...great speed and great wrist shot, but he also stuck up for his teamates and wasnt afraid to hit or play defense and didnt wear a face shield...hmmm i need to find a better comparison.. Mike Gartner? #4 pick , very fast..umm.. nope another bad choice by me! Gartner scored 36 goals as a rookie and 48 in his second year! He also had character, actually had a season with 121 PIMS!!! Maybe some people out here would have a better comparison?? I am Very upset that when Walker knocked over Hnidy and Ference came over to stick up for his teamate he ended up getting a ''double facewash'' from Hedican and Walker because Kessel didnt want to grab either of them! I was watching T.V the other night and i saw a 9 year old boy in CA stop someone from killing his father with a machete! I dont expect to see Kessel drop the gloves but atleast grab someone, Hedican isnt Probert! Ference is about the same size as Kessel...C'mon Phil!
Go Puke then!

Kessel is 20, yes 20! Give the kid a break. I never saw Gretzky go into a crowd of people and start whacking them, nor Jagr, nor Sakic, nor Yzerman..... ( the list can go on and on and on )

Go watch more TV.... Maybe Spike TV, then you can get your "PHILL"

Leave Kessel alone and let him grow.

Czerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Zikky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminated View Post
I hope so, in 2004 we got Gonchar and Nylander without giving Bergeron. Of course, Morrison was nice, but our best prospect stayed.

Look at the other teams, Montreal won't give price or the kostsityn, SJ won't give Setoguchi (even if Kessel is better) no team will give their best young players.

I really dont know why Boston should give Kessel.

Zikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 12:22 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelyforpresident View Post
kessel is 20 and has 29 points in 60 games this year....are you trying to say hossa was more productive or are you saying kessel is on the same track? and can we please stop comparing kessel to samsonov. i dont get the samsonov bashing. he has 14 points in 20 games with carolina so far. samsonov is a good player and is finding his game again. people forget, he was pretty good when he was here in boston.
I'm saying that it's way too early,especially for this kid after last year. 1 year and a half is not enough and this team is not that close that we should give up on these kids.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 12:33 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
by deadline day Phil Kessel will be an ex-Bruin? I'd hate to see it, but don't you guys have the same feeling you did with Boyes?

Unless it's for a signed Hossa or Jokinen I will puke....especially if it's for a Liles or Suter.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't shake it..
I'll be ripped if we waste any of our prime young talent--Kessel, Krejci or Kobasew-- for a rental.

What good is Hossa if he'll probably just test the free agent market and sign elsewhere?

As for the Boyes - Wideman deal, I think it filled needs for both teams. I can't imagine this team making the playoffs without Wideman.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 12:47 AM
Rancid McGoiter
Lieks Boxxy

Send a message via AIM to Rancid McGoiter
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
I'll be ripped

As for the Boyes - Wideman deal, I think it filled needs for both teams. I can't imagine this team making the playoffs without Wideman.
I hated the Boyes-Wideman deal, but now, I recant.

He's just as valuable on the D as good ol' Boyes would be on the O. If anything...it was a wash. I like to whine, but I can't here.

Rancid McGoiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 02:16 AM
neelyforpresident

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrodptl View Post
I'm saying that it's way too early,especially for this kid after last year. 1 year and a half is not enough and this team is not that close that we should give up on these kids.
agree with you 100%

Old
02-22-2008, 04:22 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal13Linseman View Post
Kessel reminds me a lot of Brian Propp. Only he's a bit faster. Yes, the league has changed, but Kessel has a great deal of upside. Not saying I wouldn't trade him for the right return, but he's attractive to a lot of teams for good reason.
you get an outstanding from me....I been saying Amonte, but to me you nailed it, exactly. He DOES remind me of Brian Propp.

Hey, Savard can be Linseman, Lucic could be Holmgren and you have a later day Flyers 'Rat Patrol' line that was an outstanding line back in the late 70's or early 80's.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 04:41 AM
Alan Ryan

DKH you are up early today!! It is 8:40 pm Friday night here in Australia and I'm not used to seeing posts so early back home in New England. Thanks for all your knowledgeable and fun posts. I've enjoyed them since being around here for the past 2+ years.

Alan

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 05:22 AM
remer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid McGoiter View Post
I hated the Boyes-Wideman deal, but now, I recant.

He's just as valuable on the D as good ol' Boyes would be on the O. If anything...it was a wash. I like to whine, but I can't here.
No its not a wash. Boston still lost this deal.
Boyes (1st round pick- leading scorer for the Blues) versus Wideman (7th round pick- #3 defenseman for the Bruins)
Winner- St. Louis Blues!

remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 06:58 AM
8thRoundPick

Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
Boyes (1st round pick- leading scorer for the Blues) versus Wideman (7th round pick- #3 defenseman for the Bruins)
Winner- St. Louis Blues!
It's not so easy of a comparison. And I would put Wideman as our #2 D, not #3. I really like how Wideman is developing, he has great mobility and sees the ice very well.

Wideman plays in Boston as if he WANTS to win - Boyes played in Boston like someone kicked his dog...

8thRoundPick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 07:10 AM
hubofhockey

I think the deal to make for Kessel -- and one Bruins would entertain -- would be for a top pairing D-man, age 20-24. And, frankly, age probably has to be closer to 20, when you consider their value/cost (see: Phaneuf). In fact, they HAVE to do that kind of deal.
As for wrapping him in a Hossa-like deal (or Havlat)....that's a tougher decision. Not impossible, but unlikely, even for a signed Hossa. A current top-end contender would be more likely to bite on that kind of deal. Hossa is the player everyone wanted the Bruins to get in the late-'80s, when theywerejustthisclose from winning it.
Interesting, though, how emotion has shifted here (evolved) on the board, compared to when the issue of perhaps trading Kessel was raised here at the XMas break.

-hub

hubofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 07:25 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Winner- St. Louis Blues!
When is the player's draft position going to stop being an issue? It's the most asinine argument I have ever heard. I don't care where or if a player was drafted, it's how he produces in the NHL that matters. The Boyes-Wideman trade is still up for debate, particularly seeing as how both are RFA's. If BOS locks Wideman up for 3 yrs at a good rate and he continues to progress, and STL has to overpay for Boyes' production this year, and he never does this well again, BOS easily wins the trade.

As far as Kessel goes, I'm torn. I see the flashes and get frustrated with his play at times, but then I remember the kid is only 20, and that he is still a work in progress. IF the B's could trade Kessel for a Weber/Phanuef type d-man, I would do it, as I think it's easier to find a 30-40 goal forward than a potential franchise d-man, as Hub stated.

If the B's could somehow trade Muzz for a valuable asset (Carle, Vlasic) and/or add a puck mover in a separate deal, that would be ideal. Hnidy on a regular shift scares the hell out of me.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 07:35 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Winner- St. Louis Blues!
It's funny -- I was just looking at Rico Fata's profile on tsn. Did you know he was drafted 6th overall? Would you trade Boyes for Rico Fata and still consider it a win because Boyes was drafted 24th overall? Bah! Such nonsense I am reading!

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 07:40 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
Actually, I thought PC must have been talking about Phil when he said the Bruins fans' love for a player weighs on his trade negotiations. Sounded like he couldn't justify a particular trade to the fans and I couldn't think of another Bruin who has no NTC and that kind of popularity.
That HAD to have been a DIRECT Lucic reference.

I don't know what kind of trade we could get for Looch at face value, but there is NO WAY it would fly for us Bruins fans.. No matter what.

Kessel could flourish into a 40 goal scorer, and I think as Bruins fans, even if Lucic has plateaued (), we'd still value him higher than Kessel.

That's what I got out of that comment, anyway.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 07:44 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubofhockey View Post
I think the deal to make for Kessel -- and one Bruins would entertain -- would be for a top pairing D-man, age 20-24. And, frankly, age probably has to be closer to 20, when you consider their value/cost (see: Phaneuf). In fact, they HAVE to do that kind of deal.
As for wrapping him in a Hossa-like deal (or Havlat)....that's a tougher decision. Not impossible, but unlikely, even for a signed Hossa. A current top-end contender would be more likely to bite on that kind of deal. Hossa is the player everyone wanted the Bruins to get in the late-'80s, when theywerejustthisclose from winning it.
Interesting, though, how emotion has shifted here (evolved) on the board, compared to when the issue of perhaps trading Kessel was raised here at the XMas break.

-hub
He looks more the part right now. I see him digging in corners, back checking, scoring some clutch goals...He looks real comfy with Lucic and Krejci. Maybe he took what Milbury said to heart and turned it up some.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
That HAD to have been a DIRECT Lucic reference.

I don't know what kind of trade we could get for Looch at face value, but there is NO WAY it would fly for us Bruins fans.. No matter what.

Kessel could flourish into a 40 goal scorer, and I think as Bruins fans, even if Lucic has plateaued (), we'd still value him higher than Kessel.

That's what I got out of that comment, anyway.
Lucic for Malkin may fly.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote