HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Leg press

Old
02-29-2008, 04:00 PM
MrAlfie

vCash: 500
Leg press

Okay, heres the thing, I just recently moved to the states and before that I have been busy with getting the paperwork done etc. pp.
So I was out of practice for quite a while because I just didn't have the time to do so.

Since 2 weeks now it all calmed down and I have more time to do things, so 2 days ago I decided to get back into a gym, do some cardio and strentghen my legs.
After 2 hours on the bike and treadmill I decided it was time to hit the legpress.
Well I felt a little anxious because i havent done this monster in a couple of months and I remember that back in the day I saw a guy busting his knee out doing it.
So I started with 180 lbs , had no problems with that.
then went up to 360 lbs, still no problems. But then I went on to do 10 repetitions with 550. At the 7th rep I felt that something in my left knee was bothering me, so I had to press it with just my right leg which felt great but my concern is that my left knee is damaged. It is not swollen, it looks normal, I dont limp, I can run, everythings fine, just when I do the leg press it says Hi. It feels like its right underneath the kneecap. Anyone know what it might be?

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
Okay, heres the thing, I just recently moved to the states and before that I have been busy with getting the paperwork done etc. pp.
So I was out of practice for quite a while because I just didn't have the time to do so.

Since 2 weeks now it all calmed down and I have more time to do things, so 2 days ago I decided to get back into a gym, do some cardio and strentghen my legs.
After 2 hours on the bike and treadmill I decided it was time to hit the legpress.
Well I felt a little anxious because i havent done this monster in a couple of months and I remember that back in the day I saw a guy busting his knee out doing it.
So I started with 180 lbs , had no problems with that.
then went up to 360 lbs, still no problems. But then I went on to do 10 repetitions with 550. At the 7th rep I felt that something in my left knee was bothering me, so I had to press it with just my right leg which felt great but my concern is that my left knee is damaged. It is not swollen, it looks normal, I dont limp, I can run, everythings fine, just when I do the leg press it says Hi. It feels like its right underneath the kneecap. Anyone know what it might be?
I used to do the incline leg press at nearly a half a ton and when I started after not doing them for a while I had a similar pain in my knee. What I did was basically take it down a few notches weight wise and then work back up to the weight I started with. If there was a tear or strain in your knee you wouldn't be able to walk very well. Just take it down a few notches and work back up. However, when you do take it down a few notches and the pain is still there, see a doctor.

Old
02-29-2008, 04:24 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
I used to do the incline leg press at nearly a half a ton and when I started after not doing them for a while I had a similar pain in my knee. What I did was basically take it down a few notches weight wise and then work back up to the weight I started with. If there was a tear or strain in your knee you wouldn't be able to walk very well. Just take it down a few notches and work back up. However, when you do take it down a few notches and the pain is still there, see a doctor.
Yea I figure it was simply too much since I have no problem as of right now, I guess I will save the heavyweights for later or just stay with the 360lbs for right now, it will get the job done. So I guess it's nothing I have to be concerned about if the pain just comes when I'm doing 550 , right?

Thanks Dolemite.

Old
02-29-2008, 05:34 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

I have a similar problem, starting with stretching for martial arts after leaving a couple years then getting back in it. I'm not that flexible to begin with, but when I spread my legs to far to fast, especially doing wall splits, I would start getting a strain in my left knee, and to a lesser extent the right. I tried a bit of yoga on the side and was told that nothing was really wrong, I just had to focus on stretching the muscle without pushing the joint. If I recall correctly your joints/tendons/ligaments are the weak part in the equation, so for your case it could just be that after a long period of complacency the stretchy stuff in your knee lost strength and can no longer handle what your muscles can push.

I'm far from an expert on this sort of thing, but from personal experience it sounds like more of an athletic conditioning problem than a medical one. In which case you're more likely to find someone who can help at the gym rather than a hospital.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Yea I figure it was simply too much since I have no problem as of right now, I guess I will save the heavyweights for later or just stay with the 360lbs for right now, it will get the job done. So I guess it's nothing I have to be concerned about if the pain just comes when I'm doing 550 , right?
Not unless you keep doing the 550 reps.

If you're not experiencing pain at a lower weight, it's not anything to worry about.

Quote:
Thanks Dolemite.
Anytime.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 05:46 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I have a similar problem, starting with stretching for martial arts after leaving a couple years then getting back in it. I'm not that flexible to begin with, but when I spread my legs to far to fast, especially doing wall splits, I would start getting a strain in my left knee, and to a lesser extent the right. I tried a bit of yoga on the side and was told that nothing was really wrong, I just had to focus on stretching the muscle without pushing the joint. If I recall correctly your joints/tendons/ligaments are the weak part in the equation, so for your case it could just be that after a long period of complacency the stretchy stuff in your knee lost strength and can no longer handle what your muscles can push.

I'm far from an expert on this sort of thing, but from personal experience it sounds like more of an athletic conditioning problem than a medical one. In which case you're more likely to find someone who can help at the gym rather than a hospital.
I'm not sure if it's that because I have always been a very flexible person (still can do the splits, touch my toes etc.) and I always make sure to stretch before I do any workout.
But I will ask someone who works at the gym, maybe one of the trainers will know whats up.

Thanks for your advice too.

Old
02-29-2008, 08:31 PM
K-PAX*

The leg press is pretty useless in my opinion. barbell front squats are much better for hockey players

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 09:07 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-PAX View Post
The leg press is pretty useless in my opinion. barbell front squats are much better for hockey players
I'm not a hockey player though..

Old
02-29-2008, 09:51 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Try some MSM and Calcium, see if that helps. Or take a product specifically designed for Joint Support. Best one out there atm is Animal Flex. http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/univ/flex.html

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 11:42 PM
K-PAX*

Quote:
Do regular squats then.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 04:55 AM
Stealthmode16

Quick sidenote on MSM. Pick it up at a farm supply store, much much cheaper! That's if you don't have any qualms about consuming something that is labeled for horses.

I haven't had any pain from the leg press in a long time, but I took the weight way down and do instead about 200 reps at 300lbs(broken up), got much better results, though you won't bulk asmuch.

Stealthmode16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 09:04 AM
newfish

Send a message via AIM to newfish
You can do a leg press without weights. Just stand in your room with your hands on your head and just squat.

newfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 09:08 AM
sensfan83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfish View Post
You can do a leg press without weights. Just stand in your room with your hands on your head and just squat.
Good advice if your hands weigh 550lbs.

sensfan83* is offline   Reply With Quote