HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards to Columbus? (Rumor)

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2008, 10:04 AM
PubOFH

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Speaking of Leclaire - Howson needs to lock this kid up. I predict a 4 year deal at 3 mil per.
You're not worried at all about injuries? I love the guy but 4 years is a lot for a guy who has an injury past. But on the flip..if you offer him 2 and piss him off...he hits the road. Ok...how about 3.

I think Howsen said once that Mason will spend 2-3 years as the starter in the Cuse before coming up here...they dont want to MacLean him.

Old
02-22-2008, 10:17 AM
123jp

Found this on the Minnesota site:

http://nc.startribune.com/blogs/wildblog/?p=470

Writer makes an interesting point about how GMs tend to have dealings with other GMs they are acquainted with (and trust). Apparently Doug Risebrough knows Howson from Scott's years with Edmonton, and this (to the writer) opens up possibilities for a Minn-CBJ trade.

The article mentions Feds, Peca, and Foote as potentials on the CBJ side, and brings up P-M Bouchard as a possibility on Minnie's side. If Feds to Ottawa doesn't pan out, I could see sending him to Minnesota for PMB, then using Bouchard in a Richards deal instead of Brassard or Brule.

Have no idea if there's any chance of this happening, but if it does it keeps more of our home-grown assets in Columbus (which ought to make Hitch happy-or happier, anyway)

Old
02-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123jp View Post
Thought I'd throw my .02$ worth in.

I'd do Brassard, Klesla and a second, as well. Since the talk is that TB wants goaltending help, lets sub Norrena and OKT for Rusty and see if that flies.

Ottawa is struggling a bit right now, so I think Murray might want a veteran presence like Fedorov in the lineup and may part with Vermette in order to get him. Richards and Vermette down the middle makes not having Brassard palatable for me.

I'd also look into what it would take to get Jarret Stoll out of Edmonton-perhaps Fritschie or Brule combined with a pick? (higher if Parma, lower if GB)-although this wouldn't necessarily have to happen any time soon.

The picks in these scenarios don't necessarily have to be the CBJ's own picks, as they could be compensated for by what we'd receive in dealing Vyborney, and possibly Peca and Manny. Not advocating that any (or all) of these guys need to go, but Vermette and Stoll both have FOW percentages in the mid-50's, which adequately compensates for losing Manny and Feds capabilities in that area. Plus, Stoll can run the point on the PP and plays on the PK and Vermette has scored in calendar year 2008, which I believe gives him a leg up on Malhotra

link to face-off percentages:

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/stats/skaters

Interesting that both Jokinen (44.1) and Langkow (44.8) are well under 50%- Iginla must take all the important face-offs for Calgary .
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Makes sense to me. On the Brassard front, here's how you overcome that.

If Feds alone isn't enough to land Vermette, add a pick. Your centers for next season could be: Richards-Vermette-Peca-Malhotra.

They could also be: Richards-Vermette-Fedorov-Malhotra as Feds is a UFA at the end of the season and probably wouldn't mind being closer to family in Detroit.

Re: Malhotra, he wins faceoffs and has a year left in his contract, but we have other options for fourth line center should we need/want to go that route.
I like the way you guys think.

Quote:
originally posted by DSL in the trade speculation thread
Fedorov and Fritsche or draft pick to Ottawa for Vermette - Should be able to do a little something to get OTT to send Lee our way also

Klesla, Brule, Norrena and a 3rd to Tampa for Richards - Don't wanna move Rusty, but something's got to give.

Old
02-22-2008, 10:23 AM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
If the rumors are true and Tampa is serious about getting a #1 goalie, NHL D-man, a prospect and a pick let's look at this scenario...

Columbus has to offer -
  • #1 Goalie - NOPE - Pazzy and Mason aren't going anywhere
    NHL D-man - NOPE - Do any of you really think we can afford to lose Klesla? (Not because he's great but we'll be loosing Hainsey, Hejda and potentially Foote not to mention that we're already THIN on D to begin with.)
    Prospects - PLENTY - Brule, Brassard, Lindstrom, Pineault might be most interesting
    Pick - Of course we could make a #1 available

I just don't see the fit IF it has to cover what TB is claiming they want. Of course I don't think they'll get what they want because the salary has to be considered. My main concern is not with who we lose but do we become the next TB when Nash and Zherdev need re-signed. Granted that would only strap us for two years of Richards contract and if we're lucky enough to keep Brassard we likely could have another top notch center within 3 years. Although Modin comes off the books in 2 years too so maybe we could keep them all... ????

I guess I'm on the fence here. If it could be done without dealing Brassard, Voracek and Mason I think it would be a good option. If we did have to include Brassard I would hope we could land someone like Vermette. He would be more cost effective in the long run and while likely tops out as a 2nd line center he would be a great addition. Think about it...

Nash Richards Modin
Zherdev Vermette Brule/Fritsche
Chimera Novotny Voracek
Boll Malhotra Fritsche/Brule

That's not too bad and very flexible with some obvious player movement within the lines based on performance. I'm still high on Brule after his last 10 games or so but that gives us speed size and playmaking on every line. Also let's us keep the youth and allow other players to develop or be used to upgrade the D.
We can absolutely afford to lose Klesla, we aren't going to lose Foote or Hejda for that matter. And who cares if Hainsey is gone, him and Klesla are our absolute worst defensive pairing, they make me crap everytime they are on the ice. We can pick up someone in the FA market that is better than both of them combined for less money.

Old
02-22-2008, 10:26 AM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
Definitely a top center since we already have 4, 3-4 defensemen on the team. We just don't have any 1 or 2s.

Klesla is the only one in the organization with even that potential, maybe Russell, but that will be in a few years.

I wouldn't cry if Rusty were moved, I am attached to him since he is my favorite player. He is too sensitive and doesn't forget bad plays fast enough because they are inevitable. I wouldn't be surprised if the deadline is eating him up leading to crappier play.

If we could get a Brian Lee for Feds or something like that it would lighten the blow.
Klesla must have started worrying about the deadline in October then if you think his dreadful play is associated with the deadline.

Old
02-22-2008, 10:29 AM
X0ssbar

I know this is supposed to be about Richards but what makes everyone so sure we aren't going to lose Foote and Hejda?

Foote I think wants to much dough and Howson will baulk.

Hejda has been decent but reminds me of Suchy. In other words, there are lots of Hejdas out there. Howson's silence on Hejda has been deafening.

I think they both could easily be playing in other uniforms this time next season.

Now we can't trade everyone on defense mind you b/c then who would play out the season but I think everyone outside of Russell has a chance of getting dealt over the next few days.

I really think our defense gets completely over-hauled this offseason starting at the deadline. Its done a good job but I think Hitch and Howson want more, much more of it and with so many contracts up now is there chance.

Old
02-22-2008, 10:34 AM
ca5150

The only thing that would make me happier than trading Klesla to Tampa Bay would be to trade Klesla to Nashville so we can start scoring goals left and right on him while he chases the puck out to the top of the circle or behind the net when he's supposed to be in front.

I honestly think if you think Klesla is solid, then you have no idea the responsibilities of a defensemen. I can't possibly understand why OKT gets such a bad rap on here, he is twice the defensive defensemen that Klesla is at half the price and isn't afraid to clear the crease, stick up for his teammates and hit someone and he's rarely out of position. Klesla could play a whole game with a dozen eggs in his pants and not break one of them. I respect Hitch, but putting Klesla and Hainsey together is like starting the game down 2-0, guaranteed they will be on for 1 or 2 a game.

Old
02-22-2008, 10:41 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
Klesla must have started worrying about the deadline in October then if you think his dreadful play is associated with the deadline.
Agree to disagree.

On a team with very few positive plus minus players. Klesla is even. He also has the most even strength points of any of our defensemen.

If you are going to make an argument OKT > Klesla then I will have to vehementally disagree with you.

Old
02-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
Klesla could play a whole game with a dozen eggs in his pants and not break one of them.
Inside his cup or not?

Old
02-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Casework

I know this was briefly mentioned before, but what about a three team deal? Ottawa seems like a good fit. Add prospects/picks as needed, I don't like making proposals and I've never tried a three team deal.

So let's start building...

To CBJ:
Richards
Vermette

To OTT:
Fedorov

To TB:
Klesla
Emery
Brule

Note: Clearly Ottawa needs more in this deal. Someone help me out!

Old
02-22-2008, 11:00 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
I know this was briefly mentioned before, but what about a three team deal? Ottawa seems like a good fit. Add prospects/picks as needed, I don't like making proposals and I've never tried a three team deal.

To CBJ:
Richards
Vermette

To OTT:
Fedorov

To TB:
Klesla
Emery
Brule

Norrena, Prospal, Vyborny, Hainsey may all be interesting to Ottawa. I think they would love to dump off Emery.

Old
02-22-2008, 11:01 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:

To CBJ:
Richards
Vermette

To OTT:
Fedorov

To TB:
Klesla
Emery
Brule

Tampa probably gets a 3rd from Ottawa and probably our 1st or 2nd goes to Tampa. Tampa trades a likely 2nd rounder from us to Ottawa or they send their 2nd rounder (will probably be a lower pick than ours) to Ottawa.

Old
02-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Casework

http://spectorshockey.net/index.php?...umors&Itemid=9

Quote:
Aaron Portzline reports Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson won't confirm if he's pursuing Brad Richards but two independent NHL sources did.

Old
02-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Casework

To CBJ:
Richards
Vermette

To OTT:
Fedorov
Prospal or Vyborny
CBJ 2nd

To TB:
Klesla
Emery
Brule
OTT 3rd

Thoughts?

Old
02-22-2008, 11:08 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
the more I think about this, the more it seems a little strange that we are suddenly making a push for Richards this late, I would assume Feds, Vyborny, perhaps Malhotra, Hainsey and Foote are leaving anyways, regardless.

I guess Richards won't be missing out, going from one team that won't make the playoffs to another.

Old
02-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
the more I think about this, the more it seems a little strange that we are suddenly making a push for Richards this late, I would assume Feds, Vyborny, perhaps Malhotra, Hainsey and Foote are leaving anyways, regardless.

I guess Richards won't be missing out, going from one team that won't make the playoffs to another.
It is a little strange, but I think it's exactly that. I wouldn't be surprised to see Malhotra go to NJ. Fedorov seems as good as gone. Peca may even be iffy at this point. It also adds to the situation that Tampa only seemed to begin dangling Richards this week. Keep in mind they've been dead set on keeping everybody, prior to new ownership. Couple that with Boyle, and Richards easily becomes the least attractive piece for them. It's not hard to be forgotten when you're playing behind Lecavalier.

Old
02-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Kev22

Sergei certainly kept Murray's interest by scoring the tying goal in his building last night. Hopefully Howson holds out for more than just Vermette. If Murray wants Feds bad enough, he'll pay the price. I have to admit that Feds looked pretty damn good last night.

Old
02-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Kev22

Quote:
To CBJ:
Richards
Vermette

To OTT:
Fedorov
Prospal or Vyborny
CBJ 2nd

To TB:
Klesla
Emery
Brule
OTT 3rd

Thoughts?
What is this the NBA? I think that three way trades are very difficult in the NHL, but I think that if the CBJ can give up players instead of picks, it would be a much better deal.

To CBJ:

Brad Richards
Antoine Vermette

To OTT:

Sergei Fedorov
David Vyborny
Tampa Bay's 2008 2nd round pick

To TBL:

Rusty Klesla
Gilbert Brule
Ray Emery

I think that all three teams can win in this situation. Either one of the players going to Ottawa would fill the hole of trading Vermette in the short term. The CBJ does not take on any payroll and doesn't lose any draft picks. Tampa Bay gets an NHL defenseman, a prospect that might still pan out and a #1 goaltender.

CBJ keeps their financial ability to go after some more pieces in the offseason.

For the rest of the season:

Modin-Richards-Nash
Zherdev-Peca-Vermette
Chimera-Malhotra-Fritsche
Boll-Novotny-Murray

Old
02-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Kev22

Quote:
Found this on the Minnesota site:

Writer makes an interesting point about how GMs tend to have dealings with other GMs they are acquainted with (and trust). Apparently Doug Risebrough knows Howson from Scott's years with Edmonton, and this (to the writer) opens up possibilities for a Minn-CBJ trade.

The article mentions Feds, Peca, and Foote as potentials on the CBJ side, and brings up P-M Bouchard as a possibility on Minnie's side. If Feds to Ottawa doesn't pan out, I could see sending him to Minnesota for PMB, then using Bouchard in a Richards deal instead of Brassard or Brule.

Have no idea if there's any chance of this happening, but if it does it keeps more of our home-grown assets in Columbus (which ought to make Hitch happy-or happier, anyway)
How about trying to get both? If Howson could get at the deadline: Richards, Vermette and Bouchard, he should win executive of the year. He would still have the financial flexibility to go after defensive help in the offseason and would have a dynamic speedy offense. Let's dream a little here, if he were to get all three, our lines would look like this for next season.

Modin-Richards-Nash
Zherdev-Vermette-Bouchard
Chimera-Novotny-Fritsche
Boll-Brassard-Voracek

That looks like a playoff team to me.

Old
02-22-2008, 11:39 AM
123jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
How about trying to get both? If Howson could get at the deadline: Richards, Vermette and Bouchard, he should win executive of the year. He would still have the financial flexibility to go after defensive help in the offseason and would have a dynamic speedy offense. Let's dream a little here, if he were to get all three, our lines would look like this for next season.

Modin-Richards-Nash
Chimera-Novotny-Fritsche
Boll-Brassard-Voracek

That'd be one helluva power play, eh?!

Old
02-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Kev22

If you want to pay for an Insider subscription on ESPN, EJ Hradek thinks that Richards is a good fit for Columbus.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...me%3dhradek_ej

Old
02-22-2008, 11:41 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post

Modin-Richards-Nash
Chimera-Novotny-Fritsche
Boll-Brassard-Voracek

Looks like you are smoking the good stuff.

No way we get Richards, Vermette, Bouchard AND KEEP Brassard, Voracek, Boll....

You failed to mention our d would look like

Hejda - Westcott
Russell - Methot
Grand-Pierre - Dineen

Old
02-22-2008, 11:42 AM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:

Wait one second. The article is talking about a P-M Bouchard trade for Olli Jokinen and says nothing about Bouchard coming to Columbus for any of our guys. Just wanted to make that clear.

No way Minnesota trades P-M Bouchard for Fedorov.

Old
02-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
Looks like you are smoking the good stuff.

No way we get Richards, Vermette, Bouchard AND KEEP Brassard, Voracek, Boll....

You failed to mention our d would look like

Hejda - Westcott
Russell - Methot
Grand-Pierre - Dineen

Reread my orignal post. I said go after defensive help in the offseason...and....Lets dream a little here.

Old
02-22-2008, 12:13 PM
123jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
Wait one second. The article is talking about a P-M Bouchard trade for Olli Jokinen and says nothing about Bouchard coming to Columbus for any of our guys. Just wanted to make that clear.

No way Minnesota trades P-M Bouchard for Fedorov.
Re-read the article and you're right-it doesn't say anything specific about Fedorove for PMB. I inferred from the story and from reading comments about Feds under the article that the possibility existed. That does not appear to be the case, although, one never knows around ttrade deadline time.

My apologies for getting anyone's hopes up. I'll read more carefully next time.

Closed Thread