HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Mikhnov Issue

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2004, 08:27 PM
rabi_sultan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
The Mikhnov Issue

With the Russia-NHL agreement expiring and the Zherdev situation cropping up coupled together with the rumour of the Russians demanding a ransom would it be an idea for Lowe and company to sign Mikhnov and drag him out of Russia even before there is a chance of the Russians interfering with demands.

I think he is eligble to play in Toronto so a two way contract being offered ? Or does it need to be a $1m contract? If he's the real deal then Lowe should get him now who knows what the deal with Russia could end up as

Old
01-30-2004, 08:35 PM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
With the Russia-NHL agreement expiring and the Zherdev situation cropping up coupled together with the rumour of the Russians demanding a ransom would it be an idea for Lowe and company to sign Mikhnov and drag him out of Russia even before there is a chance of the Russians interfering with demands.

I think he is eligble to play in Toronto so a two way contract being offered ? Or does it need to be a $1m contract? If he's the real deal then Lowe should get him now who knows what the deal with Russia could end up as
Whatever type of "black market" for players exists, the NHL is still a much more powerful organization. It's proven so in the past and I'm sure that if Russia tries to play hardball, that Lowe will have the support of the NHL. The current rules are in place with the IIHF and if they are broken then Russia will be the one's holding the bag.

But hey! I'd love to see Mikhnov over here as soon as possible.

Old
01-30-2004, 09:09 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan

Mikhnov is Ukrainian and thus can't be drafted into the Russian army.

I believe he can come over without owing any compensation except whatever the minimum transfer amount is via the IIHF/NHL agreement. And they might not even have to pay that if his contract is up; not sure if he has signed for additional years with Sibir

Also, I believe his contract would have to be 2 way, since it's his entry level deal and I'm sure he falls below the age cutoff.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:04 AM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
Mikhnov is Ukrainian and thus can't be drafted into the Russian army.
Zherdev is Ukrainian as well, I think.

Old
01-31-2004, 03:25 AM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Zherdev played for Russia and is hence considered a russian citizen, Mikhnov did not...

Closed Thread