HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Roadrunners edge the 'Dogs 3-2...

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2004, 03:30 AM
Digger12

vCash: 500
Roadrunners edge the 'Dogs 3-2...

The story of the game was Valiquette...he was outstanding, stopping 44 of 46 shots to preserve the victory, though he had a bit of luck too with the Bulldogs hitting the post a couple of times and missing a couple of open nets. He handles the puck better than I remembered, but his rebound control was dodgy at times. The dude is BIG.

Lynch had some rough stretches in his own end, but IMO he looked very good on the PP point...one of those guys that seems to want the puck on his stick, instead of dishing it off the first chance he gets. Had 5 shots on goal and was a +1.

Woywitka had a very good game, assisting on every Toronto goal. Not the hardest point shot, but he rarely missed the net with it. He and Lynch are a good tandem.

MAB looked much better than in previous efforts, he made a great cross ice pass to set up Hinz for the winning goal during an extended 5 on 3 PP. Had 5 shots as well.

Salmelainen IMO had a rough game...skated lots, but didn't get much done and made some bad decisions with the puck. A couple of times he passed when he should have shot. He didn't seem to have that extra gear tonight. 0 shots on goal.

For Hamilton, I like that Perezhogin a lot. Fast like Salmelainen, but maybe even more talented. He looked like York on what I thought was going to be a sure goal, only to be robbed big time by Valiquette with a flailing glove save.

Plekanec drew some penalties via high sticks and dives, but he took a couple of selfish penalties too that hurt his team and eventually led to the winning goal. Missed an open net. Had 5 shots, finished a -1.

Only an announced attendance of 3,384 at Ricoh for a big rivalry like this, and it seemed a lot less in actual bodies. Very disappointing.

Old
01-31-2004, 04:14 AM
gretzky2kurri

He's big alright.

Did you see that female reporter interveiwing him after the game? She needed to stand on a garbage can. He's towering over here, sweating dripping on her.

He gave a pretty good interveiw and had a pretty good game.

I was surprised how good he looked for the amount of running down about him I hear, from those who see more of him than I do.

Uses his size well. I thought he would be a little slower get up and stuff. But hell, maybe it was his best outing of the season.

Encouraging nonetheless.

Old
01-31-2004, 04:20 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
He's big alright.

Did you see that female reporter interveiwing him after the game? She needed to stand on a garbage can. He's towering over here, sweating dripping on her.

He gave a pretty good interveiw and had a pretty good game.

I was surprised how good he looked for the amount of running down about him I hear, from those who see more of him than I do.

Uses his size well. I thought he would be a little slower get up and stuff. But hell, maybe it was his best outing of the season.

Encouraging nonetheless.
From what I've heard of him, he's got NHL level talent but can be very inconsistent. He has games like this, then other games guys are picking corners on him and the puck just isn't hitting that big body. He's intriguing.

Was that Martine doing the postgame interview? I missed it.

Interviewing a goalie after he's faced 46 shots...bet he was nice and stinky. That's called earning your paycheck...good on her.

Old
01-31-2004, 04:25 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
From what I've heard of him, he's got NHL level talent but can be very inconsistent. He has games like this, then other games guys are picking corners on him and the puck just isn't hitting that big body. He's intriguing.

Was that Martine doing the postgame interview? I missed it.

Interviewing a goalie after he's faced 46 shots...bet he was nice and stinky. That's called earning your paycheck...good on her.
It was like she was standing under a big tree after a heavy rain. You're gonna get wet.

(edit)

Old
01-31-2004, 05:10 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
It was like she was standing under a big tree after a heavy rain. You're gonna get wet.

(edit)
omg is that York's finger in your avatar? If it is that's just sick, must hurt like a *****

Old
01-31-2004, 05:19 AM
USC Trojans
AD

Quote:

(edit)
your avatar will haunt my dreams.

Old
01-31-2004, 06:15 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Only an announced attendance of 3,384 at Ricoh for a big rivalry like this, and it seemed a lot less in actual bodies. Very disappointing.
If I recall, things weren't much better the last couple of seasons in Hamilton.

I have a hunch that the business situation for the Roadrunners can withstand bad attendance for a while. I'm not exactly sure what the lease on Ricoh is like, but it looks like Abraham basically got an arena for free-- between the naming rights agreement with Ricoh and the grant from the city, the upgrades and renovations were paid for. I'm not an expert on the situation in Toronto, but Ricoh's the only alternative to the ACC as far as larger venues, right? I've read that he expects to have the arena booked for 250 nights a year, and that the attendance to break even on hockey operations is about 4000. I'm guessing that Abraham was willing to take a loss on hockey in order to operate the arena. I suspect the hockey team might have been a means to an end.

Old
01-31-2004, 06:19 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
If I recall, things weren't much better the last couple of seasons in Hamilton.

I have a hunch that the business situation for the Roadrunners can withstand bad attendance for a while. I'm not exactly sure what the lease on Ricoh is like, but it looks like Abraham basically got an arena for free-- between the naming rights agreement with Ricoh and the grant from the city, the upgrades and renovations were paid for. I'm not an expert on the situation in Toronto, but Ricoh's the only alternative to the ACC as far as larger venues, right? I've read that he expects to have the arena booked for 250 nights a year, and that the attendance to break even on hockey operations is about 4000. I'm guessing that Abraham was willing to take a loss on hockey in order to operate the arena. I suspect the hockey team might have been a means to an end.
True, they weren't. It's not like the Oilers are footing the bill with this venture, so I shouldn't get too bent out of shape.

I just don't want to see a scenario where they fold up shop after a year, and we're back where we started...looking for a home for these guys.

Closed Thread