HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Different direction...What about signing Ryder?

Old
02-20-2008, 10:49 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Trade Deadliine Scenario - ... UFA Rental For Cheap?!

First of all, you all know me. I probably make 99% of the Brisebois supporters on this forum, if not the entire 100%.

Now, the more I've been thinking about the playoffs, our chances at winning the Stanley Cup, and possible acquisitions while we approach the deadline.. I've realized something.

I was talking to "Cristobal Huet", the poster, who contributes to this forum fairly regularly when I came up with this scenario. I'm not sure he liked the idea, but he said that I gave good reasons to support my scenario.

And it's simple.

Move Brisebois to the 2nd line... on the wing of Higgins and Koivu. He has all the offensive potential in the world.. and he's ready to explode.

Haha, just playing. Just wanted to get a reaction of you all. But seriously, this is what I was thinking;

We have something that's like getting a UFA Rental.. for FREE. Without giving anything.. anything at all up to anyone. We can keep our 1st in this incredibly deep draft, in which Timmins can do his thing and find us another diamond in the rough. Anyway.. our UFA Rental...

MICHAEL RYDER

To get straight the point.. the guy is back. And has been for awhile, just not used to his full potential. Since the beginning of 2008, Ryder has been his old self. 17 GP, 7 goals, 4 assists, 11 PTS in just 12:00 MIN/GP. His production rate is an astonishing 18:00 MIN. If you are unaware of production rate, it's PTS per MIN played.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not comparing Ryder to Hossa. I'm not comparing Ryder to Jokinen. Hell, I'm not even comparing Ryder to Tanguay. But when you put everything together.. I think this team is already tight as a unit. I think this team can do some serious damage in the post-season. And if Ryder is indeed back, we just picked up a player who can help us down the stretch.

If we need the extra offensive touch that we could of acquired through Hossa or Tanguay, we also have something else here in Montreal. DEPTH. Mikhail Grabovski, who is probably the best player in the AHL right now, is looking for a call-up. And who the hell in Montreal is preventing that? Bryan Smolinski? Steve Begin? Mathieu Dandenault? PLEASE!

We've seen the chemistry Streit and Ryder have. We need a full-blown playmaker to line-up inbetween them. Grabovski can be that guy.

Holy ****. What just happened? I'll tell you. We gained a third offensive line.. FOR FREE!

Now, I know you're probably thinking the line is a little weak. A lot of people don't realize that Ryder is not a complete wuss. He will take a hit to make a play. He always finishes his checks and normally is one of the leading hitting forwards on the Canadiens. Streit also doesn't mind taking or throwing a hit in the offensive zone.

But... if it proves to be a problem.. we could easily move Guillaume Latendresse into Streit's slot, and move him to the fourth line. This still gives us a pretty dangerous 3rd offensive line (though less defensive minded, which Streit would bring)...

This gives us one of two options, if we really need to make a trade at the deadline. Go after a #4 defenseman... which I don't really think we need to do. They're aren't going to be many defenseman on the market, so the pricing of those guys is going to be sky-high. We have seven perfectly capable defenseman, three of whom can put in monster minutes.

I say our biggest trade need is a guy who can guarantee some extra face-off wins. Ryan Johnson springs to mind (among others).

We could simply ship off; say Mathieu Dandenault + a 3rd round pick to accomplish this feet. Maybe toss in a mediocre prospect like Stewart, Milroy or Ferland, who will never get the chance to play in Montreal. They take on some extra salary but guy two guys who can play on their roster, plus a draft pick. All for a marginal 3rd liner.. but the kind of guy we could use in the playoffs, at important parts of the game.

I'd also look to pick up an enforcer, if available. A Derek Boogaard type springs to mind. Maybe toss them a Milroy or Ferland type for Boogaard. If they decline, move onto the next enforcer and try you're luck there.

Whichever enforcer we landed, would play very few games. But they would be there for games if we felt we needed that presence. We could easily double-shift Kovalev or Ryder on the fourth line as well, when we don't use the enforcer for every shift.

So, after reading this, I really think our team is good enough to contend. Ottawa made a move.. it hasn't done anything for them. Detroit is old and they always fall apart in the playoffs. Dallas is our biggest competitor I think but I don't have much faith in Turco to do much damage in the post-season.

Again, quickly, as much as I want a premier player.. the price is going to be too high to acquire most of them. And if Tanguay or Prospal are the best we can do, I'd stand still, because neither of them bring that much more goal-scoring.

So without further wait.. this would be our potential line-up.

EVEN STRENGTH

Andrei Kostitsyn - Tomas Plekanec - Alex Kovalev
Christopher Higgins - Saku Koivu - Sergei Kostitsyn
Mark Streit - Mikhail Grabovski - Michael Ryder
Guillaume Latendresse - Ryan Johnson - Maxim Lapierre
Tom Kostopolous, Steve Begin

Andrei Markov - Mike Komisarek
Roman Hamrlik - Ryan O'Byrne
Josh Gorges - Francis Bouillon
Patrice Brisebois

Cristobal Huet
Carey Price

POWERPLAY

Andrei Markov - Mark Streit

Chris Higgins - Saku Koivu - Michael Ryder
Roman Hamrlik - Sergei Kostitsyn

PENALTY-KILL (5 on 4)
Ryan Johnson - Mark Streit

Tomas Plekanec - Alex Kovalev

Saku Koivu - Christopher Higgins

PENALTY-KILL (5 on 3)

Ryan Johnson

Tomas Plekanec
Roman Hamrlik - Andrei Markov

Christopher Higgins
Roman Hamrlik - Mike Komisarek

Mark Streit
Andrei Markov - Josh Gorges

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 02-20-2008 at 10:56 PM.
One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Kenny Powders

off-topic but, man, that's one freaking long post you write up there lol!

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 10:55 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by skar67 View Post
off-topic but, man, that's one freaking long post you write up there lol!
Haha, yeah... I realized that when I posted.

I just like being thoughtful and backing up my arguments/ideas.

Old
02-20-2008, 11:02 PM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
Nice thread.

But Ryan Johnson? Really?

L'abstrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2008, 11:16 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'abstrait View Post
Nice thread.

But Ryan Johnson? Really?
He's not perfect, but he's fine as a 4th liner. But let's look at the things he can bring to our team.

* He's a fantastic penalty-killer.

* He has over 30 MORE blocked shots than ANY forward on our team.

* His face-off percentage is very good at 54.4% ... Last year he was at 55.5%. This would put him #1 on our team in everyday face-off takers.

* He very rarely gives up the puck, so you're never going to have problems caused by him.

* Totally reliable as a defensive player.

* Not much offensive flare, but he can chip in. He's scored 3 PTS over his last 5 GP.

* He's not a huge hitter, but he will throw them if he needs too. He averages about a hit a game. He'll also take a hit to make sure he gets the puck out.

* He can play small amounts of time or he can chew up a bucket load of minutes. Depending on the situation of the game.

When you factor in all this stuff, I really feel that he could be a great acquisition to our club.

Old
02-20-2008, 11:20 PM
shealy04

Great post!
I couldn't agree with you more.

Someone is going to trade for Ryder for his goal scoring ability... why not keep him (for free, like you said) and allow him to score those goals for us?

It's not our year to be giving up young talent for rental players when we are building one helluva core to this team.

I also think that Ryder does not fetch nearly as much value for us as keeping him would provide us.

Another also: I do not think the team wants us to make any trades (especially Ryder). He has handled the whole situation with class, I think we owe it to him to give him a chance to up his value going into unrestricted free agency.

Why kill the mojo this team has going?

Last edited by Beakermania*: 02-21-2008 at 07:27 AM.
shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 06:13 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

You're wasting your time. I'll tell you what will happen...

Thursday, February 21th: The Montreal Canadiens traded G Jaroslav Halak and a 2008 2nd round pick to the Edmonton Oilers for F Jarret Stoll.

Friday, February 22th: The Montreal Canadiens traded F Michael Ryder and a conditionnal pick to the Calgary Flames for F Matthew Lombardi.

Monday, February 25th: The Montreal Canadiens traded D David Fischer and the rights to F Alexander Perezhogin to the St-Louis Blues for D Barret Jackman. The Montreal Canadiens also traded D Mathieu Dandenault to the Detroit Redwings for a 2008 3rd round pick.

Tuesday, February 26th: The Montreal Canadiens traded F Chris Higgins, D Ryan O'Byrne and F Mikhail Grabovski to the Florida Panthers for F Olli Jokinen.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 06:17 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post

The Montreal Canadiens also traded D Mathieu Dandenault to the Detroit Redwings for a 2008 3rd round pick.
I actually think we will see this one happen. Detroit could get him cheap from us and he's had success there.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 06:20 AM
Guillemin

If you're going to make an acquisition at the deadline, it should be something that pushes for the cup, not sets you up nicely for the rest of the regular season.

Johnson would fill out our team defense nicely, but we'd need a top calibre scorer to do any real damage when the games count.

If it's not Hossa or Jokinen, or a player who isn't a free agent next year, why bother?

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 06:39 AM
Marksman

You seem to have put a lot of thought into this, I tend to agree on Ryder mostly, but personally, what I believe Habs need the most is a quality top 4 defenceman.

Our offence is fine, actually only Senators and Detroit have scored more goals this season ... and we have enough checking liners on the team.

We do have good defensive depth in terms of quantity, but losing just one of our top three guys would mean theres only one strong pairing left with the team. We already saw how fast the wheels came come off the Habs wagon, when Hamrlik was out. Its the defence that wins Cups.

With the position our team is in right now, small time tinkering should be over, this is too good of an opportunity to miss.

I want someone like Boyle, Stuart or Jackman.

Last edited by Marksman: 02-21-2008 at 06:48 AM.
Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 06:54 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
You seem to have put a lot of thought into this, I tend to agree on Ryder mostly, but personally, what I believe Habs need the most is a quality top 4 defenceman.

Our offence is fine, actually only Senators and Detroit have scored more goals this season ... and we have enough checking liners on the team.

We do have good defensive depth in terms of quantity, but losing just one of our top three guys would mean theres only one strong pairing left with the team. We already saw how fast the wheels came come off the Habs wagon, when Hamrlik was out. Its the defence that wins Cups.

With the position our team is in right now, small time tinkering should be over, this is too good of an opportunity to miss.

I want someone like Boyle, Stuart or Jackman.
Well, I think that Jackman is the only legit option of those three. Boyle will likely be re-sign by the Bolts or they will ask a lot for him. As for Stuart, Lombardi apparently wants to keep him. It means one thing: he wants overpayment.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 07:00 AM
GNick42

Quote:

Thursday, February 21th: The Montreal Canadiens traded G Jaroslav Halak and a 2008 2nd round pick to the Edmonton Oilers for F Jarret Stoll.

Friday, February 22th: The Montreal Canadiens traded F Michael Ryder and a conditionnal pick to the Calgary Flames for F Matthew Lombardi.

Monday, February 25th: The Montreal Canadiens traded D David Fischer and the rights to F Alexander Perezhogin to the St-Louis Blues for D Barret Jackman. The Montreal Canadiens also traded D Mathieu Dandenault to the Detroit Redwings for a 2008 3rd round pick.

Tuesday, February 26th: The Montreal Canadiens traded F Chris Higgins, D Ryan O'Byrne and F Mikhail Grabovski to the Florida Panthers for F Olli Jokinen.

Gainey don't move his team around like that...that would be re-shuffleing the deck. He's looking to add an impact player to increase his scoring.

He may get a Tanguay...then retrade him in a package for Hossa....at the most Something like that...not rework his farm system and exchange 4-5 roster playres

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Kaptain Bégin

Quote:

We're not the Philadelphia Flyers, Bob know chemestry is important and don't change half of his players every year.... I see 2 move, not more. Remember when he go after Alex Kovalev... An impact player, a right-shooter center and a guy with grit and intensity. I think with Lapierre and Smolinski, we don't need a right-shooter center. Bob said he want an impact player and bought a Marian Hossa equipment... We need a Bill Lindsay, a guy who don't think, just hit, like Bill Lindsay.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
First of all, you all know me. I probably make 99% of the Brisebois supporters on this forum, if not the entire 100%.

Now, the more I've been thinking about the playoffs, our chances at winning the Stanley Cup, and possible acquisitions while we approach the deadline.. I've realized something.

I was talking to "Cristobal Huet", the poster, who contributes to this forum fairly regularly when I came up with this scenario. I'm not sure he liked the idea, but he said that I gave good reasons to support my scenario.

And it's simple.

Move Brisebois to the 2nd line... on the wing of Higgins and Koivu. He has all the offensive potential in the world.. and he's ready to explode.

Haha, just playing. Just wanted to get a reaction of you all. But seriously, this is what I was thinking;

We have something that's like getting a UFA Rental.. for FREE. Without giving anything.. anything at all up to anyone. We can keep our 1st in this incredibly deep draft, in which Timmins can do his thing and find us another diamond in the rough. Anyway.. our UFA Rental...

MICHAEL RYDER

To get straight the point.. the guy is back. And has been for awhile, just not used to his full potential. Since the beginning of 2008, Ryder has been his old self. 17 GP, 7 goals, 4 assists, 11 PTS in just 12:00 MIN/GP. His production rate is an astonishing 18:00 MIN. If you are unaware of production rate, it's PTS per MIN played.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not comparing Ryder to Hossa. I'm not comparing Ryder to Jokinen. Hell, I'm not even comparing Ryder to Tanguay. But when you put everything together.. I think this team is already tight as a unit. I think this team can do some serious damage in the post-season. And if Ryder is indeed back, we just picked up a player who can help us down the stretch.

If we need the extra offensive touch that we could of acquired through Hossa or Tanguay, we also have something else here in Montreal. DEPTH. Mikhail Grabovski, who is probably the best player in the AHL right now, is looking for a call-up. And who the hell in Montreal is preventing that? Bryan Smolinski? Steve Begin? Mathieu Dandenault? PLEASE!

We've seen the chemistry Streit and Ryder have. We need a full-blown playmaker to line-up inbetween them. Grabovski can be that guy.

Holy ****. What just happened? I'll tell you. We gained a third offensive line.. FOR FREE!

Now, I know you're probably thinking the line is a little weak. A lot of people don't realize that Ryder is not a complete wuss. He will take a hit to make a play. He always finishes his checks and normally is one of the leading hitting forwards on the Canadiens. Streit also doesn't mind taking or throwing a hit in the offensive zone.

But... if it proves to be a problem.. we could easily move Guillaume Latendresse into Streit's slot, and move him to the fourth line. This still gives us a pretty dangerous 3rd offensive line (though less defensive minded, which Streit would bring)...

This gives us one of two options, if we really need to make a trade at the deadline. Go after a #4 defenseman... which I don't really think we need to do. They're aren't going to be many defenseman on the market, so the pricing of those guys is going to be sky-high. We have seven perfectly capable defenseman, three of whom can put in monster minutes.

I say our biggest trade need is a guy who can guarantee some extra face-off wins. Ryan Johnson springs to mind (among others).

We could simply ship off; say Mathieu Dandenault + a 3rd round pick to accomplish this feet. Maybe toss in a mediocre prospect like Stewart, Milroy or Ferland, who will never get the chance to play in Montreal. They take on some extra salary but guy two guys who can play on their roster, plus a draft pick. All for a marginal 3rd liner.. but the kind of guy we could use in the playoffs, at important parts of the game.

I'd also look to pick up an enforcer, if available. A Derek Boogaard type springs to mind. Maybe toss them a Milroy or Ferland type for Boogaard. If they decline, move onto the next enforcer and try you're luck there.

Whichever enforcer we landed, would play very few games. But they would be there for games if we felt we needed that presence. We could easily double-shift Kovalev or Ryder on the fourth line as well, when we don't use the enforcer for every shift.

So, after reading this, I really think our team is good enough to contend. Ottawa made a move.. it hasn't done anything for them. Detroit is old and they always fall apart in the playoffs. Dallas is our biggest competitor I think but I don't have much faith in Turco to do much damage in the post-season.

Again, quickly, as much as I want a premier player.. the price is going to be too high to acquire most of them. And if Tanguay or Prospal are the best we can do, I'd stand still, because neither of them bring that much more goal-scoring.

So without further wait.. this would be our potential line-up.

EVEN STRENGTH

Christopher Higgins - Saku Koivu - Sergei Kostitsyn
Mark Streit - Mikhail Grabovski - Michael Ryder
Guillaume Latendresse - Ryan Johnson - Maxim Lapierre
Tom Kostopolous, Steve Begin

Patrice Brisebois

Cristobal Huet
Carey Price

POWERPLAY

Andrei Markov - Mark Streit

Chris Higgins - Saku Koivu - Michael Ryder
Roman Hamrlik - Sergei Kostitsyn

PENALTY-KILL (5 on 4)
Ryan Johnson - Mark Streit

Tomas Plekanec - Alex Kovalev

Saku Koivu - Christopher Higgins

PENALTY-KILL (5 on 3)

Ryan Johnson

Tomas Plekanec
Roman Hamrlik - Andrei Markov

Christopher Higgins
Roman Hamrlik - Mike Komisarek

Mark Streit
Andrei Markov - Josh Gorges
Dude, you really need to get a blog, with all these big posts you put up, you could get some pretty good readership in one.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:48 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
Dude, you really need to get a blog, with all these big posts you put up, you could get some pretty good readership in one.
Why would you quote the whole thing, painful to scroll down through a second time.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:50 AM
Travis Moen

Quote:

At least someone is starting to talk sense

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:

Dude, the rights to Perezhogin are worth next to nothing...nobody would be willing to pay what he's getting in russia much less what it would take to bring him over.

Why would we trade Dandy? He's a great utility player with Stanley cup experience. He's too good a player to trade away for a pick during a playoff run.

Higgins, O'byrne AND Grabs for Jokinen...at that price they can keep him.

The oilers have their goaltender of the future...they don't need Halak, as a matter of fact they're looking to trade Roloson. They'd want a solid stay at home d-man for a guy like Stoll...and we'd have to take Pisani's huge salary off their hands as well in a deal like that.

Jackman for Fisher...Jackman has never lived up to potential and is injury prone. fisher is a player that is developping well and has top 4 written all over him. He's big, strong and can pass very well...Sure we get an immediate upgrade, but in the long run we lose. Besides, the Blues are in a playoff race themselves why downgrade your D? They'd want no less than a top 4 in return for Jackman. I think we'd need to send Streit and 3rd for Jackman...

Overall, this sounds more like an NHL 2008 trade than an actual hockey trade.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 09:08 AM
neofury*

Just wanted to say, as of recently I've felt the same way (even before Ryder started to produce again), that we might not need a trade to win this cup. The thing is, I think Koivu rather then using all his energy during the season, is saving it for the playoffs. I think he had the forsight to know this was going to be Montreals best chance at a cup in years, and rather then using all his energy during the season, he's going to explode during the playoffs and his level of intensity will sky rocket. We've already started to see that Koivu is coming around. With him playing back to his old self, that's another superstar on the habs roster. With Kovalev/Kostitsyn/Plekanec/Koivu playing their best offensive game, and possibly even a little finishing from Ryder who seems to be coming around, I think our chances are good.

Also have you guys noticed we're one of the teams who's star players are among the least injury prone so far this year? In the playoffs, this can take you far. When heatley/spezza/alfy take an injury, ottawa will be done for. Habs just seem less likely to get an injury, and with the level of intensity and amount of shot blocking, speed rushes, etc that we have been doing, it's amazing we've sustained no serious injuries this season to our star players.

Question: in 1993 did we sign an loner for the cup run?

Also remember kids, in 93 all the worried about teams for the habs got beaten out by teams who we could beat. Pittsburgh losing to the Islanders..... Toronto losing to the Kings.... etc

All I'm saying is, in the post season ANYTHING can happen.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Lachenaie

ROCK ON!! Finally someone who thinks for more than a minute.

Really good post. I tend to agree with you, because I don't think we can land something big with Ryder being the main guy on our part for the trade. If someone has to leave for Hossa or Jokinen, it's gonna be Higgins. Do I want to win the cup this year? **** yeah! Can I wait next year, absolutely.

Calling up Grabovski is not the greatest idea, but maybe it's worth a try. The only thing right now is I don't think it would be good for the chemistry of the bottom guys. Smolinski wouldn't take that..do we care? Not really I know. But still, there will have to be a hole at center position to do that sort of thing. And don't forget there's a big step between AHL and NHL, especially with a player that small. But I think he's worth another chance.

For Ryan Johnson, I don't know enough of this guy to actually comment on the subject. Do we need another checker center. Maybe, but I'm confident with Begin in the playoffs. I deeply believe in the importance of Begin in the lineup for the playoffs. His intensity is a factor in every game he's in.

Lachenaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Habs_46

Wow.... you really had me going with that brisebois thing!! lol

I like your post.. but I still think the only thing the habs are missing is a Star Forward... HOSSA FTW!!!!

Habs_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 10:56 AM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
Great post natey2K4...

i only have one thing to say. Would you mind sending me $3.50 as thats how much money i lost reading your post.... hahaha

ONly messing and once again, great, well thought out post.

English Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 11:45 AM
CxHxIxExF

Two things.

First, great post. Grabovski could do real damage in a third-line role playing against Johnny Oduyas, Brooks Orpiks, Paul Maras and Lasse Kukkonens of the world. A line with Streit and Ryder sounds great.

As for this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
personally, what I believe Habs need the most is a quality top 4 defenceman.
Yesterday I agreed in principal with a guy from work on a deal that would send a 3rd-round pick in 2008 to Edmonton for Steve Staios. Neither of us could get ahold of Bob Gainey of Kevin Lowe, though...

CxHxIxExF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2008, 03:30 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CxHxIxExF View Post
Two things.

First, great post. Grabovski could do real damage in a third-line role playing against Johnny Oduyas, Brooks Orpiks, Paul Maras and Lasse Kukkonens of the world. A line with Streit and Ryder sounds great.

As for this:

Yesterday I agreed in principal with a guy from work on a deal that would send a 3rd-round pick in 2008 to Edmonton for Steve Staios. Neither of us could get ahold of Bob Gainey of Kevin Lowe, though...
That cuts into my Ryan Johnson deal .. Just playing.

Even if we had to throw Edmonton a 2nd for Staios, I'd do it in a heartbeat. That's the kind of trade we can do.. because even thought it's a decent pick.. it's 1) not giving up the future we have now & 2) doesn't give up our 1st rounder which is for obvious reasons, our most valuable selection.

I don't know how keen Edmonton would be doing it though, considering he chews up a crapload of minutes there. And he's signed for 3 more years at a pretty decent contract.

SO MY COUNTER TO PICKING UP STAIOS IS...

Bryce Salvador from St. Louis. We could easily work him into a deal when we'd acquire Johnson. We could toss them back a bit extra in the deal to make the deal most tasty for their liking.

Salvador makes $1.5M this year. So we'd be on the hook for about $300,000. Nothing we can't afford. Some quick things to look at about his game are;

* Again, like Johnson.. he's not a huge hitter. But he does have 57 hits over 53 games.. so it's not as if he is a wuss.

* 6'2, 214 LBS.

* 53 GP, 11 PTS, + 13, 38 PIM this season.

* 87 blocked shots. He can play on a PK unit if need be.

* Plays almost 20 minutes per game in St. Louis.

I think Salvador could really solidify our 2nd pairing with Hamrlik. Sucks for O'Byrne, but he'll be here next year. If someone gets hurt, he'll always be the first call-up as well.

So here is the proposal I would offer St. Louis

TO MONTREAL
Ryan Johnson
Bryce Salvador

TO ST. LOUIS
2nd Round Pick
Corey Locke
JP Cote
Mathieu Dandenault

Remember, St. Louis is only 3 PTS out of a playoff spot. So this doesn't kill them.

Locke, as much as I like him, isn't getting a chance here. He can't replace the stuff Johnson brings to the table, but he's a good player who could play for them.

Dandenault brings some leadership and could easily lace up on their back-end in place of Salvador. If not, he can play on their 3rd or 4th line and be moved to Detroit in the off-season, likely for a pick.

Cote gives them a rugged defenseman who won't fit into our future plans. He's still pretty young at 25.. and could probably help our their team.

So that's a possible 3 rosters players + a pick headed to St. Louis for a UFA. What do you think?

Old
02-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Stan

Different direction...What about signing Ryder?

Ryder seems to have turned the corner. He's moving to shooting areas and using his release. I'm not just basing this on a few games, but I've noticed a progression. He's been doing a lot of good things for a while now. I know he's not the superstar people are looking for and he's not without his faults but I believe he's still valuable to the team.w What about signing him to an affordable 2 year deal. At the very worst...we have an asset to trade in the future. It could also act to bring the team even closer together for the stretch drive.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Mue

Meh, if he starts to produce it would be like a dead line addition because he has done nothing up until now (but without giving up a prospect or pick).

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote