HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Different direction...What about signing Ryder?

Old
02-22-2008, 09:32 PM
HabGoblin

vCash: 500
Interesting. Seeing as how Ryder started to pick up his game once his brother was getting his hockey career on track, it could be argued that those problems affected his play; however, he has been inconsistent like this before where he wakes up at the end of the season. Considering he wouldn't cost much if we did resign him, I don't think it would be a bad idea. He also is a good team guy. He gave us 30-goal seasons; let's give him another chance.

HabGoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

The luxury about having a good farm system is that you can take an established player, bundle him with a pick or semething and get a better player in return. Tehn you have someone just as good to fill in his spot from the farm team at a lesser salary.

This year A. Kost stepped up and showed Carbo that he will need even more time on ice so Ryder becomes available. One could also say that S. Kost. may have stolen Ryder's spot on the roster.

Lets just let him go away or trade him.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Stradale

With Koivu, Kovalev, Plekanec, A. Kostitsyn, S. Kostitsyn and Higgins, i dont think theres any room left for Ryder on the top 6 fowards. S. Kostitsyn will be even better next season so if Ryder signs here, he'll be on the third line, i doubt he will accept that role and the salary of a third liner.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
I've been saying it all year long.....It took more time then I thought or wouldhave liked but Ryder needed some quality ice time and he has been getting in shooting lanes and using the quick snap shot. If Montreal can sign him to something like the Hunter deal I would be happy

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Shred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
I've been saying it all year long.....It took more time then I thought or wouldhave liked but Ryder needed some quality ice time and he has been getting in shooting lanes and using the quick snap shot. If Montreal can sign him to something like the Hunter deal I would be happy
Ditto. I think he would like to stay here and I would offer him a 2-3 year contract for 1.5 per or so. I think he's better than he has shown this year and he has never put the team in trouble.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

I have no problem keeping Ryder if Dandenault, Begin, and Smoke can be disposed of.

Chipchura makes the team next year. Grabovski as well. D'Agostini may. Ryder could still be valuable here.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Krautso

Ryder better start scoring now if he wants to be resigned. He'd need 10+in his final 20 games for me to agree to that signing. Probably won't be able to do that from the 3rd line.

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Corey

I can just see Brisebois forechecking and hammering defencemen into the boards.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 11:18 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I can just see Brisebois forechecking and hammering defencemen into the boards.
What ARE you smoking...?

Old
02-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
What ARE you smoking...?
I think he was talking about my joke in the very first post

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I think he was talking about my joke in the very first post
Ok, thanks man! I was getting worried here...

Old
02-23-2008, 12:14 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
Dude, you really need to get a blog, with all these big posts you put up, you could get some pretty good readership in one.
I agree.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 12:16 AM
znk

The question is...would Ryder accept or would he rather go try his luck somewhere he think he wont be a healthy scratch.

Old
02-23-2008, 12:20 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

natey. Great post, you've illuminated some good points. I don't really agree with you, as I think we need to be looking at higher-end talent than Ryder.

My thoughts have been wavering regarding who we ought to acquire/keep/sign, and Ryder isn't someone that I've totally thrown out of the window in that regard.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 12:32 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
natey. Great post, you've illuminated some good points. I don't really agree with you, as I think we need to be looking at higher-end talent than Ryder.

My thoughts have been wavering regarding who we ought to acquire/keep/sign, and Ryder isn't someone that I've totally thrown out of the window in that regard.
On key factor for me would be if a guy like Higgins is included in a deal for Hossa. Depending on the salary he would get Ryder could be a good fit under the cap.

Old
02-23-2008, 12:37 AM
m00ks

you can see that all this talk is affecting Higgins' game. he seems out of it and mentally drained. BG telling Ryder expect the unexpected? Maybe he IS sticking around.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 12:40 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
I don't want Ryder back. That's an extra $3 million that can be used elsewhere in the summer. Plus will he want to come back after being benched for so many games? I doubt it, but you never know. I just wouldn't be surprised if he went on a 5+ game scoreless drought and everyone hates him again.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 12:43 AM
m00ks

well it does make you wonder. Now he's producing on the third line with Streit and Laps. Is he a scorer regardless who his linemates are?

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 12:44 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I don't want Ryder back. That's an extra $3 million that can be used elsewhere in the summer. Plus will he want to come back after being benched for so many games? I doubt it, but you never know. I just wouldn't be surprised if he went on a 5+ game scoreless drought and everyone hates him again.
I realy doubt his next contract will be anywhere near $3M

Old
02-23-2008, 12:46 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I realy doubt his next contract will be anywhere near $3M
With the overpayment going around in the league I have no doubt that it will. Someone will pay him that much, he's a 28 and a proven 30 goal scorer. A team desperate for 2nd line scoring will pay him that much, especially if he starts pouring in the goals now.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 12:49 AM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

i hope he finishes with 30 again

HabsHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 12:57 AM
RE-HABS

If Ryder could be signed to a Hunter like deal say 3 years and 7.5 million I think he may stay? The money is still decent and it a longer term deal and he can still be a UFA at 30/31 in his prime.

If he doesn't sign or is traded I see him doing a 1 year deal with some team and having a great year again and Montreal maybe being interested again, only thing is the price goes up.

Deep down I thinkRyder loves the guys on the team, the guys love him and everyone in the media like Dreger, McKenzie, Fisher and others say he is a great interview and a great in room guy as well.

Ryder could actually be the best UFA signing Gainey makes this summer and one of the cheapest too.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 01:01 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
On key factor for me would be if a guy like Higgins is included in a deal for Hossa. Depending on the salary he would get Ryder could be a good fit under the cap.
That's what has me wavering. I think we're better served keeping Higgins and the rest of our depth than trading him for a Hossa. Higgins has a lot of impact on this team from leadership, to on-ice competition level, to being Komisarek's best friend.

Old
02-23-2008, 01:03 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
If Ryder could be signed to a Hunter like deal say 3 years and 7.5 million I think he may stay? The money is still decent and it a longer term deal and he can still be a UFA at 30/31 in his prime.

If he doesn't sign or is traded I see him doing a 1 year deal with some team and having a great year again and Montreal maybe being interested again, only thing is the price goes up.

Deep down I thinkRyder loves the guys on the team, the guys love him and everyone in the media like Dreger, McKenzie, Fisher and others say he is a great interview and a great in room guy as well.

Ryder could actually be the best UFA signing Gainey makes this summer and one of the cheapest too.
Before Ryder got hot, I was sure he'd sign another 1-year deal to prove himself, but even at this point I think he might get a decent deal.

One thing to take into consideration is that Jason Blake, a guy who scored 40 last year and is comparable in terms of what he brings to the table (i.e. not much defense) got $4M/year. Blake's a bit older, but I can't see Ryder getting a much better deal than that.

Old
02-23-2008, 01:07 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
That's what has me wavering. I think we're better served keeping Higgins and the rest of our depth than trading him for a Hossa. Higgins has a lot of impact on this team from leadership, to on-ice competition level, to being Komisarek's best friend.
I haven't seen the leadership and game I thought I would see from Higgins this year, and sure Higgins and Kommy are best of friends but this is a business and best friends get dealt.

Messier and Gretzky are best buddies and they remained best buddies after they were seperated, not only that when Gretzky moved on Messier stepped up and became a star and more recognizeable because he was the man now.

Kommy would be the new Assistant if Higgins were to be traded, both love being a Hab and it wouldn't make one leave to follow the other because of a trade. That usually happens in the later stages of your career to paly with your buddy like Kariya and Selanne and Roberts and Nieuwendyk...none of those reunions were fruitful.

If getting a signed Hossa means dealing Higgins and it means a greater chance for Komisarek and the Habs to win the Cup I'm sure Kommy will understand.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote