HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Real Western Conference All Star Team

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2004, 11:21 PM
ginner classic

vCash: 500
The Real Western Conference All Star Team

Givent he fact that the real All Star team was never selected, I have chosen to build the ideal team for the Western Conference. Not a team of four skill lines...but a shutdown line and a grind line as well as two scoring lines. Based on the last 12 months of hockey since the last game, this is who I would select.

Naslund Forsberg Bertuzzi
Tanguay Weight Hejduk
Lehtinen Yzerman Doan
Morrow Draper Cooke

Pronger Blake
Schneider Zubov
Ohlund Jovo

Turco
Vokoun
Osgood

Rationale....don't think anyone can complain about Bert, Naslund, Forsberg, Hejduk, Doan, or Morrow, So I will just atlka bout the rest of the forwards. Weight was an absolute one man wrecking crew in last year's playoffs and was unfortunate to not go into the next round. I feel very confident that if St louis beat Vancouver and got on a roll, they would have made it to the Cup final as they had better veteran leadership on their team. It means of course not Datsyuk but I feel quite justified in that decision. Yzerman has been an absolute freak show for the past three years. How any guy can withstand the physical battering he puts himself through and still be the bet two way centre in the western conference is beyond me. Alex Tanguay has been labelled a leech by many fans, but have any of them considred that in the lst calendar year whichever line he was on has been providing all the offense. He is a highly underrated playmaker and is emerging as the elite talent Lacroix saw when he drafted him. He beat out Tkachuk for that spot narrowly. Lehtinen I should not have to explain, he is the best two way forward in the game....bad season this year or not. Draper is ahaving an exceptional year and gets the nod over Linden for the last pivot spot. matt Cooke is a grinding pest with Selke abilities and an scoring touch. Ohlund is the most underrated defenceman in the league and Jovo, whil having been hurt and falling prey to the same flu bug that has hit Lalime, is still worthy of drawing in the top 6.

Vokoun may be a surprise to some as a top 3 goalie, but he is a no-brainer from what I have seen. Osgood has been solid up untill the last three weeks and has been the victim of a depleted defence. He narrowly beats out Cloutier and Roloson for the last spot. Giguere could have been 31 but he has been average at best since the start of the year.

Thoughts on the real western all-stars?

On D, Pronger and Blake ar the best two defencemen in the league so I will leave it at that. Schneider has had an amazing 18 months and is worthy of All Star inclusion. Zubov had a rough start to the year but has been the impetus behind Dallas' recent resurgence.

Old
01-30-2004, 11:59 PM
islandnucker

Send a message via ICQ to islandnucker
My biggest problem is with having Cooke on there he's been injured for half of the season and Datsyuk should be there IMO. So switch those two is what I would do.

Old
01-31-2004, 12:06 AM
Peter Griffin

Cooke and Jovo do not deserve to be on the all-star team(or at least they shouldn't be). Here's mine:

Naslund-Forsberg-Bertuzzi
Tanguay-Sakic-Hejduk
Nagy-Datsyuk-Doan
Tkachuk-Weight-Nash

Pronger-Blake
Ohlund-Lidstrom
Schneider-Zubov

Aebischer
Vokoun
Cloutier/Turco(take your pick)

I don't care if the Avs have 6 players, they have played solid hockey and have played well enough to be on the team.

Old
01-31-2004, 12:44 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Cooke and Jovo do not deserve to be on the all-star team(or at least they shouldn't be). Here's mine:

Naslund-Forsberg-Bertuzzi
Tanguay-Sakic-Hejduk
Nagy-Datsyuk-Doan
Tkachuk-Weight-Nash

Pronger-Blake
Ohlund-Lidstrom
Schneider-Zubov

Aebischer
Vokoun
Cloutier/Turco(take your pick)

I don't care if the Avs have 6 players, they have played solid hockey and have played well enough to be on the team.
Turco is much better than Clouts. Abeischer should be the starter, with Turco, and then Vokoun.

Old
01-31-2004, 12:53 AM
Oiltown16

I know I sound like a complete homer here, but I think Mike York is getting overlooked on the oilers...dont have the exact stats but he has about 37 points and is a +15 on the Oilers squad which without him would be at the basement right now.

Old
01-31-2004, 01:00 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
Turco is much better than Clouts.
What's your reasoning here? Cloutier has played great this year and has been a big factor in the Canucks' success thus far. Cloutier is among the top 10 in GAA, Save %, and wins for goalies who have played more then 25 games. How has Turco been "much better" than Clouts this year? If anything they have been on the same level.

Quote:
Abeischer should be the starter, with Turco, and then Vokoun.
I did say "take your pick" between Cloutier and Turco. Besides, everyone has a differing opinion, your view is not neccessarily the correct one.

Last edited by Peter Griffin: 01-31-2004 at 01:04 AM.
Old
01-31-2004, 01:08 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltown16
I know I sound like a complete homer here, but I think Mike York is getting overlooked on the oilers...dont have the exact stats but he has about 37 points and is a +15 on the Oilers squad which without him would be at the basement right now.
You could also make a case for numerous other players as well. The fact is, not every player that is having a solid season can go to the all-star game.

Old
01-31-2004, 01:11 AM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
here what i would change

Morrow and Lehtinen out, Nash and York in
cooke out Iginla in
Yzerman out, Dats in
jovo out and Visnovsky in

Old
01-31-2004, 01:47 AM
ginner classic

Maybe you guys should go back and read the first paragraph of my post...would make it much easier to have a discussion. Two scoring lines, one shutdown line and a grind line. And no way in heck would I take Morrow out of that lineup. He has been probably the Stars best forward this year.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:56 AM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner
Givent he fact that the real All Star team was never selected, I have chosen to build the ideal team for the Western Conference. Not a team of four skill lines...but a shutdown line and a grind line as well as two scoring lines. Based on the last 12 months of hockey since the last game, this is who I would select.

Naslund Forsberg Bertuzzi
Tanguay Weight Hejduk
Lehtinen Yzerman Doan
Morrow Draper Cooke

Pronger Blake
Schneider Zubov
Ohlund Jovo

Turco
Vokoun
Osgood

Rationale....don't think anyone can complain about Bert, Naslund, Forsberg, Hejduk, Doan, or Morrow, So I will just atlka bout the rest of the forwards. Weight was an absolute one man wrecking crew in last year's playoffs and was unfortunate to not go into the next round. I feel very confident that if St louis beat Vancouver and got on a roll, they would have made it to the Cup final as they had better veteran leadership on their team. It means of course not Datsyuk but I feel quite justified in that decision. Yzerman has been an absolute freak show for the past three years. How any guy can withstand the physical battering he puts himself through and still be the bet two way centre in the western conference is beyond me. Alex Tanguay has been labelled a leech by many fans, but have any of them considred that in the lst calendar year whichever line he was on has been providing all the offense. He is a highly underrated playmaker and is emerging as the elite talent Lacroix saw when he drafted him. He beat out Tkachuk for that spot narrowly. Lehtinen I should not have to explain, he is the best two way forward in the game....bad season this year or not. Draper is ahaving an exceptional year and gets the nod over Linden for the last pivot spot. matt Cooke is a grinding pest with Selke abilities and an scoring touch. Ohlund is the most underrated defenceman in the league and Jovo, whil having been hurt and falling prey to the same flu bug that has hit Lalime, is still worthy of drawing in the top 6.

Vokoun may be a surprise to some as a top 3 goalie, but he is a no-brainer from what I have seen. Osgood has been solid up untill the last three weeks and has been the victim of a depleted defence. He narrowly beats out Cloutier and Roloson for the last spot. Giguere could have been 31 but he has been average at best since the start of the year.

Thoughts on the real western all-stars?

On D, Pronger and Blake ar the best two defencemen in the league so I will leave it at that. Schneider has had an amazing 18 months and is worthy of All Star inclusion. Zubov had a rough start to the year but has been the impetus behind Dallas' recent resurgence.
Even if you do have yzerman in his place, i really so no reason why datsyuk shouldnt be selected...

Old
01-31-2004, 11:27 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I like how you leave Kimmo off but put two guys in his place that haven't has as good of seasons, Kimmo plays in every situation, and has more points.

Old
01-31-2004, 11:31 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Oh, and I'd take Walker over Morrow too.

Old
01-31-2004, 11:35 AM
Fantasywonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Oh, and I'd take Walker over Morrow too.

Old
01-31-2004, 11:37 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Yeh, that's so funny, Walker has more goals, more assist, in 8 less games. What exaclty does Morrow do better?

Old
01-31-2004, 11:40 AM
Fantasywonder

Quote:
Yeh, that's so funny, Walker has more goals, more assist, in 8 less games. What exaclty does Morrow do better?
I don't think you can judge any Stars player on their stats right now, the team has been in a major scoring funk all season. There's no one that can stand out on this team, I bet that Peter Forsberg wouldn't even average a ppg here.

But, to answer your question, Morrow does everything better.. and he doesn't see first line minutes or even as many PP minutes. Yet he's still the Stars best player ever since last year..

Old
01-31-2004, 11:43 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasywonder
I don't think you can judge any Stars player on their stats right now, the team has been in a major scoring funk all season. There's no one that can stand out on this team, I bet that Peter Forsberg wouldn't even average a ppg here.

But, to answer your question, Morrow does everything better.. and he doesn't see first line minutes or even as many PP minutes. Yet he's still the Stars best player ever since last year..
What was I thinking, I mean just because Walker has played in 8 less games, put up better numbers, no way could a Predators player be better than the great Stars player.......

Old
01-31-2004, 12:42 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
What was I thinking, I mean just because Walker has played in 8 less games, put up better numbers, no way could a Predators player be better than the great Stars player.......
Morrow averages 19:25 per game, Walker 19:55

Closed Thread