HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto Maple Leafs union rep Bryan McCabe tells ...

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2004, 11:53 PM
goalchenyuk

vCash: 500
Toronto Maple Leafs union rep Bryan McCabe tells ...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=70230

At least one member of the NHL Player's Association says they are prepared to sit out for "the rest of our lives" if NHL owners lock them out this fall.

"The bottom line is, if they want a hard (salary) cap, we'll sit out for the rest of our lives," Toronto Maple Leafs union rep Bryan McCabe tells the Toronto Star.

"If they're not going to budge off of that, there's really nowhere to go."

In an interview earlier this week with TSN's Dave Hodge, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said the owners have never proposed a hard salary cap, but they are looking for some sort of cost certainty.

McCabe says if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, then it is a duck.

"It's all in the semantics," McCabe tells the Star. "They want to impose a system where we can't direct our marketplace. What's the point of having free agency if you can't go anywhere? Whatever way they put it, it's not a good deal for us."

McCabe, who will earn $3.85-million this season, added its about protecting the younger players who will come long after he is finished playing the game.

"I wouldn't be making the money I am now if it weren't for the guys in 1994," said McCabe said. "There are hundreds of kids coming up who are going to be National Hockey League players. In the end, they deserve a fair shot at a solid marketplace and a chance to earn a decent living."

poor poor hockey players...

Old
01-31-2004, 12:10 AM
Habber

I think the players are going to find out they have next to nothing in support among the public. I think what the NHL is saying is reasonable, that players salaries should be a percentage of revenues. Players salarise and ticket prices need to come down in order for hockey to survive.

Old
01-31-2004, 01:01 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
I think the players are going to find out they have next to nothing in support among the public. I think what the NHL is saying is reasonable, that players salaries should be a percentage of revenues. Players salarise and ticket prices need to come down in order for hockey to survive.
Bettman already have said that the league is not going to ask for a hrad top but a ''soft top ''; that's probably mean that the rich teams are going to be able to give big salaries but that they are going to have a tax to pay to the other team

Old
01-31-2004, 01:41 AM
EquabaleAce

Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
who is the habs player rep?

Old
01-31-2004, 02:38 AM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
Bettman already have said that the league is not going to ask for a hrad top but a ''soft top ''; that's probably mean that the rich teams are going to be able to give big salaries but that they are going to have a tax to pay to the other team
I didn't say anything about a salary cap.

btw adammacisaac, I think Juneau is our player rep.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:45 AM
caper13

maybe mcabe will cheap shot one of them at the table and get what he wants thats why the laffs picked him is it not .

Old
01-31-2004, 02:51 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
I didn't say anything about a salary cap.

btw adammacisaac, I think Juneau is our player rep.
sorry i didn't really want to quote you
about Juneau , i am not sure may be it is Quintal ...

incredible that he talk about '' decent life ''

and what he didn't think about is all the people that are working at the arena or close to the arena that are going to loose their job because they '' are able to wait a long time '' as he said

Old
01-31-2004, 02:55 AM
Natural Habs Fan

McCabe is a joke. Salaries are a joke.

A fourth line player should not be making a million dollars a year.

Old
01-31-2004, 03:32 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
They can all bag groceries for all I care. It's become very clear that all the veteran players only care for themselves. They're so out of touch with reality it's ridiculous... The NHL is NOT the NBA, or the NFL or MLB. Players can't be paid as much as other leagues, and the players are going to find this out the hard way when the league goes belly up. Then all the "young" guys that McCabe is looking out for will be playing in Lacrosse leagues while taking part time jobs.

Old
01-31-2004, 03:37 AM
electric

I wouldn't have any problems with it if we were talkin about baseball. But we aren't.

Please, Mr. McCabe... understand that you are not a baseball player. You can't get contracts like A-Rod in the NHL, because HOCKEY IS NOT POPULAR ENOUGH. NHL teams don't get their pockets filled by ESPN and ABC. The only way NHL players will get their way is if we start paying upwards of 300 dollars for balcony seating :mad:

Closed Thread