HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Bill McCreary's 1970 plus-minus

Old
02-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Snap Wilson

vCash: 500
Bill McCreary's 1970 plus-minus

How's this for specific topics?

I'm working on an adjusted plus/minus project and I'm caught up thanks to the subject line above.

The reference material that I have lists McCreary with the following for that year:

Total goals for while on ice: 5
Power play goals for while on ice: 15
Total goals against while on ice: 56
Powr play goals against while on ice: 23
His plus minus is listed as -43.

A glance at the first two lines should let you know that something's off. Obviously, he couldn't have been on the ice for more power play goals than total goals. And technically speaking, being on the ice for a net -10 goals for and 33 goals against does technically equate to a -43 plus-minus in some screwed up way, obviously something is wrong here. Legends of Hockey lists him at -43, as does the Blues official website, so this error has been propagated to an absurd length.

The Blues scored 72 power play goals. Multiplying that by five comes to 360. I have the team at a collective +361 for that category, which looks right (they could have scored a power play goal with the goalie pulled).

They allowed 41 power play goals. Multiplying that by four adds up to 164. I have the team at -158, which, when factoring in the two-man advantage, seems reasonable.

The Blues allowed a total of 138 non-power play goals. Multiplying that by five gets you 690 and I have the Blues at -687, so that's fine.

Here's where it breaks down. I have the Blues at 152 non-power play goals. Five of those goals were scored short-handed, so we should have a total of +755. The team's total only adds up to +701, so the team is missing 50 or so odd plusses give or take, and I have a feeling they all belong to McCreary, which would raise him from a really lousy -43 back into plus territory.

Does anyone (pnep?) have more accurate numbers for McCreary?

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 07:40 AM
reckoning

According to my records:

TGF-39, PGF-15, TGA- 56, PGA-23, P/M: -9

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Snap Wilson

Still seems kinda low, but I'll go with that for now. Thanks, Reck!

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote